Subban files for arbitration

hab29RETIRED

What is your 'gut' feeling dlbalr on contract #s?

(seeing as is almost Friday now)

I'm not sure what to think right now. The fact that they went to arbitration could mean one of two things:

1) They're nowhere close and decided to just get it over with through the arbitrator.

2) There has been enough progress made that they decided to forego the last minute one year settlement and will continue to try to hammer something out after noon EST today when the hearing ends (they're scheduled to last 3 hours).

As for numbers? My guess would be that the Habs have an eight year deal on the table, probably in the neighbourhood of $8 - $8.75 million for an AAV. They'll be pushing for Subban to take that while Subban/Meehan will try to get that AAV or close to it on a shorter-term deal (5/6 years) or to get the Habs to bump their AAV up on the 8 year offer.

Did anyone else notice PK referring to himself in the third person? Not saying he hasn't earned it, just an observation.

He has done that quite a bit in recent memory.

Chris Johnston tweeted that they hadn't left the anteroom about thirty minutes ago. He also reported last night that they had a contract. Which one is it?

Both really. The two sides are still negotiating, probably trying to get the deal down to the last number. They delayed the arbitrator to try to get it done.

Both really. The two sides are still negotiating, probably trying to get the deal down to the last number. They delayed the arbitrator to try to get it done.

I'd guess at this point that the hearing is taking place with long-term talks to resume after. I know you can delay the start by a bit but going on 75 minutes seems a bit much for a delay without a guaranteed resolution.

Subban goes to the arbitrator. I must say I'm disappointed. I wanted subban a long term Hab and wanted him now. What kind of game is bergevin playing? I don't think Subban is getting any cheaper.

I really don't get MB. If he fxcks this op he needs to be fired. Subban is the most important Hab since Roy and the most talented since lafleur. This should be a no brainer.

Yeah, up to 48 hours past the hearing. They can't delay the hearing for that long though.

I wouldn't be surprised if they kicked the arbitrator out of the room haha

I really don't get MB. If he fxcks this op he needs to be fired. Subban is the most important Hab since Roy and the most talented since lafleur. This should be a no brainer.

Should Sam Pollock been fired for not coming to an agreement with Ken Dryden?

What if it's Meehan/Subban asking for a ridiculous amount? That could also explain the lack of a contract, it's not always the GM's fault.

Subban goes to the arbitrator. I must say I'm disappointed. I wanted subban a long term Hab and wanted him now. What kind of game is bergevin playing? I don't think Subban is getting any cheaper.

It's not over yet. Deadline #1 (today at 9 AM) has passed. Deadline #2 is up to 48 hours past the completion of the hearing (the timeframe in which the arbitrator has to ponder and issue the salary award). There's not a ton of time left but there still is time to get a long-term deal agreed upon.

He won't get fired immediately, but if he can't get a deal done next year, I can't see Subban on the roster past December of 2015. This will be a disaster worse than the Gomez trade.

So four years. Meet your new GM, Messr Julien Briesbois!

I wouldn't be surprised if they kicked the arbitrator out of the room haha

Should Sam Pollock been fired for not coming to an agreement with Ken Dryden?

Different era. Owners had all the power than an exerted it. Name me one other team that hasn't locked up a guy like Subban at the first opportunity?

Nashville messed up badly and had to scramble to get financing to make its first $12m bonus payment for their mistake. Given the stupid money MB threw at Briere and the stupid term he gave to Moen, this makes no sense.

MB was stupid two years ago and he was stupid not getting this done during the year and even dumber not getting this done before the $10m Kane and Toews deal. Subban should be asking for the moon and frankly, MB has no one to blame than himself. In two years as a UFA Subban WILL get over $10m, by than it will probably be $12m. So the Habs have put themselves in this position. Now it's time to pay up.

What if it's Meehan/Subban asking for a ridiculous amount? That could also explain the lack of a contract, it's not always the GM's fault.

It's not over yet. Deadline #1 (today at 9 AM) has passed. Deadline #2 is up to 48 hours past the completion of the hearing (the timeframe in which the arbitrator has to ponder and issue the salary award). There's not a ton of time left but there still is time to get a long-term deal agreed upon.

Different era. Owners had all the power than an exerted it. Name me one other team that hasn't locked up a guy like Subban at the first opportunity?

Claude Giroux (3 year deal after his ELC)

Eric Staal (3 year deal after his ELC)

Shea Weber (3 year deal after his ELC)

Pavel Datsyuk (2 year deal after his ELC)

Jason Spezza (1 year deal after his ELC followed by a 2 year deal)

Matt Duchene (2 year deal after his ELC)

So... Philly, Carolina, Nashville, Detroit, Ottawa, and Colorado (and I gave up looking after finding six). Those are all or were perceived to be franchise-type players.

• Upvote 2

I understand that MB is doing his best to negotiate what's right for the team, but it seems silly to me to drag this out over what appears to be a difference of $500k/year for a long-term deal. If MB is offering $8.5M-$8.75 AAV and Subban wants $9.25M AAV - just sign the damn deal!

I understand that MB is doing his best to negotiate what's right for the team, but it seems silly to me to drag this out over what appears to be a difference of $500k/year for a long-term deal. If MB is offering $8.5M-$8.75 AAV and Subban wants $9.25M AAV - just sign the damn deal!

How are we going to pay for the Moen retirement deal if PK is making bank? Daniel Winnik will be available next year, he's the mucker of Bergevin's dreams. Quite simply, how can we keep stocking up on crappy depth players with the Subban blockbuster deal?

Priorities man...

I don't believe this shit..didn't mb learn from the bridge contract? subban could be entering his 3rd year of a 6.5 per contract..but noooo, lets sign him to crap incase he's a chump! well mb found out subban is the man and should've signed him lomgterm at around 7.5-8.5 yesterday..but now that's come and gone. arbitrater will now deem somewhere in the 7 mil range for 2 years and he'll leave for greener pastures in the 10-12 range elsewhere..when again he should be entering the 3rd year of a decent contract. I give up

I don't believe this shit..didn't mb learn from the bridge contract? subban could be entering his 3rd year of a 6.5 per contract..but noooo, lets sign him to crap incase he's a chump! well mb found out subban is the man and should've signed him lomgterm at around 7.5-8.5 yesterday..but now that's come and gone. arbitrater will now deem somewhere in the 7 mil range for 2 years and he'll leave for greener pastures in the 10-12 range elsewhere..when again he should be entering the 3rd year of a decent contract. I give up

The arbitrator can only award a one year deal, not two (the Habs had the choice and elected one year).