Habs sign Alex Radulov

dlbalr

I expect a big impact on the Habs from Radulov, I was disappointed that he was only signed for 1 year. It's more likely in my opinion, that there is a better chance his value increases after this season and will cost more to sign. He wants to be in the NHL, he wants to prove he can play with the best, he will be motivated.

To me, the really interesting question is, what happens if Radulov excels (say, 70 points)? Do the Habs then sign him to a long-term deal at, say, 6 mil? How does that affect the team's overall salary structure, ability to re-sign Galy, etc.? If the Habs have the capacity to lock him up, should they even do it, given his debatable track record? - or would this be akin to Carolina's folly in signing Semin to that massive deal? Conversely, do the Habs then let him walk and end up right back in the same old crapper of being short two top-6 FWs?

Desharnais' $3.5M frees up next summer. That would go towards Galchenyuk's salary. Markov is also a free agent at the end of the year and a part of that freed up money will probably goto Galchenyuk's deal. If they don't re-sign Markov, either to a discount or nothing, they have to either replace him on the left side or go with Beaulieu, Barberio, and Emelin (Sergachev too maybe) for the left side.

If they sign Radulov, he's probably going to want more. He'll probably want an NMC so Las Vegas can't select him. Habs free up money in 2018 but that's because Plekanec, Emelin, Mitchell, and Price will be UFA. Maybe they buy out Emelin to get it done or trade him for a bad contract that expires sooner. Either way it can all be done but it'll take some adjusting.

I think the club is really really hoping that once Radulov is leaving, guys like Lehkonen or Hudon or Andrighetto or McCarron or Scherbak are ready to play top six.

Desharnais' $3.5M frees up next summer. That would go towards Galchenyuk's salary. Markov is also a free agent at the end of the year and a part of that freed up money will probably goto Galchenyuk's deal. If they don't re-sign Markov, either to a discount or nothing, they have to either replace him on the left side or go with Beaulieu, Barberio, and Emelin (Sergachev too maybe) for the left side.

If they sign Radulov, he's probably going to want more. He'll probably want an NMC so Las Vegas can't select him. Habs free up money in 2018 but that's because Plekanec, Emelin, Mitchell, and Price will be UFA. Maybe they buy out Emelin to get it done or trade him for a bad contract that expires sooner. Either way it can all be done but it'll take some adjusting.

I think the club is really really hoping that once Radulov is leaving, guys like Lehkonen or Hudon or Andrighetto or McCarron or Scherbak are ready to play top six.

They also get more money freed up as Parenteau's buyout will be gone.

You don't need to worry about Vegas. The expansion draft takes place before the NHL draft (Exact date to be set after the SCF).

So lets just play hypothetical.

Habs protect players (Radulov is pending UFA) Habs and radulov have deal in place but not signed

Vegas selects

Habs sign Radulov after but before July 1st

I think many teams will do this with UFAs, it means one extr player they can protect.

My only concern is whether the Habs have the cap space to add Radulov to the existing core should he put in a convincing season. It sounds as though they do. If so, then the sole question would become whether we trust him not to pull a Kovalchuk, etc.. After all, it's not as though there are comparable talents percolating in the Habs' system.

My only concern is whether the Habs have the cap space to add Radulov to the existing core should he put in a convincing season. It sounds as though they do. If so, then the sole question would become whether we trust him not to pull a Kovalchuk, etc.. After all, it's not as though there are comparable talents percolating in the Habs' system.

Keep him happy and keep the team competitive and I'm sure he stays. He wanted to play in Montreal and thinks highly of Weber.

Talking about our options if Radulov explodes with 60+ points...

Would you consider trading his rights to negociations before July 1st to another team ?

That is, if Bergevin is not sure that he wants to commit with a contract extension...

i think its something you have to be open to, but can't answer today.

Being open minded and not putting cart before horse, one would think that is applicable to another thread (every one I suppose) as well. :clap:

Might be good to keep in mind that the last time the Habs had more than three players score 60 points or more was 95-96 (96-97 of course was the year Koivu had 56 points in 50 games so maybe setting that point mark is a bit unfair). I could definitely see three players (Chuck, Patches, Radulov) getting 60 points or more if they play together throughout the season but that would mean Gallagher moving onto a line with Plekanec. Not sure if Therrien wants to stack the deck like that on his top line.

Just trying to be realistic. I think Radulov has the ability to put up 60+ points for sure. He might however play second line powerplay and instead get a completely acceptable but not as exciting 50-55 points.

Being open minded and not putting cart before horse, one would think that is applicable to another thread (every one I suppose) as well. :clap:

yeah i'm open minded as to when we will have to trade Shea Weber due to his 10 year contract as he gets older. I'm not ready to put a date on that.

yeah i'm open minded as to when we will have to trade Shea Weber due to his 10 year contract as he gets older. I'm not ready to put a date on that.

Well, its all good then.

I actually am more worried about how much more Price has left in the tank, due to injuries piling up, than a more healthy Weber (who last missed big time in 2007-08 when only played 54games, playing 78+games/season since)

Makes sense, worry about the 27 year old who has had exactly 1 major injury and whose play has been improving each season; instead of the 31 year old who plays a physical game in a position where players who play physical don't traditionally have longevity, has 10 years on his contract, and his defensive stats have declined for four years.

Price is 27? 1 injury?

BK, happy hour must of been a good one today, I got another hour before that time here? haha

(did you just assume I was picking on your lil Buddy again, I am trying to wean myself on anti-Subban posts)

cheers

Price is 27? 1 injury?

BK, happy hour must of been a good one today, I got another hour before that time here? haha

(did you just assume I was picking on your lil Buddy again, I am trying to wean myself on anti-Subban posts)

cheers

who is BK?

Price is 27? 1 injury?

cheers

Sorry 29

And Yes 1 major injury....

He's got a bunch of bumps and bruises that are 1 week here or 2 weeks there, but look at any elite goalie... they all have the same minor injuries and the majority of elite goalies still play a lot longer than physical defencemen. I'm not too worried about a minor knock here or there as its par for the course for the position. His only major injury was last year.

Sorry 29

And Yes 1 major injury....

He's got a bunch of bumps and bruises that are 1 week here or 2 weeks there, but look at any elite goalie... they all have the same minor injuries and the majority of elite goalies still play a lot longer than physical defencemen. I'm not too worried about a minor knock here or there as its par for the course for the position. His only major injury was last year.

Krieder one was that just a minor bump or a minor bruise? So are you insinuating that Price is a softie and should of kept playing in those playoffs?

Well, hope he has longevity of Martin B or Luongo and he has a good 10 years left in him.

Krieder one was that just a minor bump or a minor bruise? So are you insinuating that Price is a softie and should of kept playing in those playoffs?

Well, hope he has longevity of Martin B or Luongo and he has a good 10 years left in him.

No, but it was a 2 week injury and price would have played in the finals.

The problem is a position... you can't play goalie with a minor knock to your knee or groin. Once the other team knows you are half a second slow to one leg or one side, NHL shooters are too good, so I don't think he's soft. I think it was clear in the second period when he gave up two goals after the kreider hit, he couldn't physically do it.

But it wasn't an injury that was serious, as it would have only been 2 weeks.

No, but it was a 2 week injury and price would have played in the finals.

The problem is a position... you can't play goalie with a minor knock to your knee or groin. Once the other team knows you are half a second slow to one leg or one side, NHL shooters are too good, so I don't think he's soft. I think it was clear in the second period when he gave up two goals after the kreider hit, he couldn't physically do it.

But it wasn't an injury that was serious, as it would have only been 2 weeks.

Plus was coming off a couple week hiatus after being hurt at Olympic foolishness as well.

Plus was coming off a couple week hiatus after being hurt at Olympic foolishness as well.

I think the point you made got completely overlooked but let's all hope together that he does have a healthy rest of his career. One more lower body injury and I begin to worry with you.

I think the point you made got completely overlooked but let's all hope together that he does have a healthy rest of his career. One more lower body injury and I begin to worry with you.

One more lower body injury will likely happen. Cause goalies get hurt.

Go find me the starting NHL goalie who doesn't have an injury at least once in the last 4 years. Most have 2 or 3

One more lower body injury will likely happen. Cause goalies get hurt.

Go find me the starting NHL goalie who doesn't have an injury at least once in the last 4 years. Most have 2 or 3

That's true. It's likely he gets injured again. One more longterm injury and I become unsettled though because a long term injury is more likely to carry lingering effects. And he's starting to have enough of them.

That's true. It's likely he gets injured again. One more longterm injury and I become unsettled though because a long term injury is more likely to carry lingering effects. And he's starting to have enough of them.

Enough being exactly 1 in 9 years?