Feb. 21, Canadiens vs Rangers, 7 PM

dlbalr

13 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Markov has been one of our best - if not best - defenceman over Weber's 40 game slump (which now seems mercifully over). It would be folly to trade him if we have the intention of winning.

I hope its over.

And seeing him score was nice.

He also lost his man on the rangers first goal, Emelin was bad on that too, but he didn't take his guy. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Scrambled draw.  Won a puck battle on the play. 

Puck battles are important.  We won a puck battle to gain possession on shaw's goal too. 

The idea is that one puck battle (faceoffs) isn't more important than all the others that happen in a game. 

A won faceoff by Pacioretty to #79 over to #6 and goal.

Had Galchenyuk or Plekanec been on the draw, odds are McDonagh wrister out of zone and Habs would of been chasing puck down the ice instead (which we see too often on the PP)...which could of been game changing.

Not rocket science.

6 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

does pateryn DD and and 2nd this year get it done with a conditional 1st if we sign him? with us paying the rest of DD's salary ( can you pay the salary but the cap hit go to St. Louis?) I don't know

I don't think that proposal would be all that close.  To answer your other question, a team can't retain cap hit while paying salary or vice versa.  If you retain in a deal, it's both cap hit and salary (and it has to be the same percentage for each).

5 hours ago, habs rule said:

Don whether we like it or not, he is 38 and slowing down fast. He get's beat at the blue line, a lot. There is no point in trying to trade him, you wouldn't get anything.  Too many athletes hang on too long. His knees are in bad shape hence the loss of speed. He is still one of the smartest players on the ice, but the end is coming close. I would give him a 1 year contract for 2.5 to 3 million. At his age the salary decreases. It is just my opinion but I want  him to retire as a Hab.

He's getting $4.25 million this year in actual salary.  Considering his point totals, he could probably command something in that range (maybe a bit lower) on a one year deal in free agency.  To get him closer to that mid-to-low $3M range, I think they'd have to go with a multi-year deal.

15 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I don't think that proposal would be all that close.  To answer your other question, a team can't retain cap hit while paying salary or vice versa.  If you retain in a deal, it's both cap hit and salary (and it has to be the same percentage for each).

He's getting $4.25 million this year in actual salary.  Considering his point totals, he could probably command something in that range (maybe a bit lower) on a one year deal in free agency.  To get him closer to that mid-to-low $3M range, I think they'd have to go with a multi-year deal.

He doesn't have multiple years left. He is over 35, which means you have to be very careful. It is only my opinion but his career is definitely on the skids. Every athlete reaches this point. Do you pay him for what he did or what he can do. I pay him for what he can do which is a depreciating asset.

7 hours ago, Trizzak said:

I'd even be comfortable with Bergevin putting a 2 year deal on the table for Markov, provided the salary were reduced to 4 million. 

Me too, and really as others have said, he's still pretty good...

Normally, I'm all about 'asset management,' but in this case, letting The General retire a Hab actually serves the interest of both team and player. What a warrior he has been for us, through some very tough times to boot.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, DON said:

I assume Markov would have little chance of being "the" Hab to be chosen by Vegas and wouldn't require protection, if extended?

I wouldn't rule it out, actually.  A proven veteran who you can turn around and flip at the deadline for a pick or two.  He wouldn't be a slam dunk choice but I imagine they'd consider it.

5 hours ago, habs rule said:

Markov is still one of our best defencemen, that can change in a hurry, I wonder if he is one of our best because he is still that good, or if our general defence is that bad.

former

25 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I wouldn't rule it out, actually.  A proven veteran who you can turn around and flip at the deadline for a pick or two.  He wouldn't be a slam dunk choice but I imagine they'd consider it.

More likely the Habs offer a pick to ensure Vegas skips him.