Feb. 21, Canadiens vs Rangers, 7 PM

dlbalr

2 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

This team is junk, honestly. They wouldn't even be a playoff team without that dominant start.

This team is amazing if you take out the 1-6-1 in their last 8 games (before tonight)

See thats the thing, you are what your record is... and the record includes both the hot start and weak February.

At the end of the day the team is neither as good as a 13-1-1 start, nor as junk as the last 3 weeks. 

This team needs to find another top 6 centre.  Not move the only true top 6 centre they have.  Even if they move Chuck in a deal for another centre, even if this is an upgrade, it doesn't change the fact that Danault is the #2. 

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

This team needs to find another top 6 centre.  Not move the only true top 6 centre they have.  Even if they move Chuck in a deal for another centre, even if this is an upgrade, it doesn't change the fact that Danault is the #2. 

I agree but I think the real question is do we go after the centre or the L side defender for Weber. Or can we do both?

Just now, Scott462 said:

I agree but I think the real question is do we go after the centre or the L side defender for Weber. Or can we do both?

Both are huge needs. I don't know that you can do both in a cap era though. 

Whichever one we can fill most effectively at the right price, Bergevin needs to pull the trigger on. 

Chicago won without a good #2 C (Bolland, Handzus and the ghost of Brad Richards were the #2s on their three cup teams).  Pittsburgh won with Letang and no #2 defenceman.  This league is all about filling as many holes as you can, coaching players to be adequate in the roles you can't fill, and hoping for the right matchup so you can hide weakness and exploit strength come playoff time. 

I don't know which hole we can fill... but if Price is playing well, my inclination is that #2 C is more important, and that Carey will make up for defensive deficiency if you score enough. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Both are huge needs. I don't know that you can do both in a cap era though. 

I don't know which hole we can fill... but if Price is playing well, my inclination is that #2 C is more important, and that Carey will make up for defensive deficiency if you score enough. 

So true.  If Carey Price continues to play at the level he showed us tonight, I'd definitely prefer a #2C

I really think a LD with offensive upside would benefit our offense more than a 2C.

Our transition is utterly horrid right now and we get stuck in our own zone because we have no defensemen who can consistently skate the puck out of trouble.

I'd rather put hope in one of Danault, Pleks or DD getting hot at the right time than put hope in one of Beaulieu, Emelin, Petry, or a 38 year old Markov to step up to a puck moving #2 by playoffs.

Someone - Weber

Emelin - Petry

Markov - Pateryn

Beaulieu

I'd feel so much safer...

Edit: Though there is no way in hell we get a #2 d-man at trade deadline day. Cannot imagine a world where we do.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, bbp said:

I really think a LD with offensive upside would benefit our offense more than a 2C.

Our transition is utterly horrid right now and we get stuck in our own zone because we have no defensemen who can consistently skate the puck out of trouble.

I'd rather put hope in one of Danault, Pleks or DD getting hot at the right time than put hope in one of Beaulieu, Emelin, Petry, or a 38 year old Markov to step up to a puck moving #2 by playoffs.

Someone - Weber

Emelin - Petry

Markov - Pateryn

Beaulieu

I'd feel so much safer...

Edit: Though there is no way in hell we get a #2 d-man at trade deadline day. Cannot imagine a world where we do.

I agree with your assessment. Push comes to shove, I'd see a puck-mover as more important, and cross my fingers on the C position.

- galchenyuk's issue right now is confidence... after 2 left knee injuries (one major) and now after he's hurt his right. Even so that he's over the injury physically, he almost definitely is one step behind still and is still not playing freely yet. I know all to well how this can impact you. I've been there. Game after game the confidence will get back. If this was his first then he'd probably already be there but it's not. It's his 3rd... to both knees now!

- radulov danault pacioretty continue to be the best line most nights for both teams playing. Danault continues to impress me no matter who he's matched up against on the other team... each game he's looking more and more like the biggest heist thus far in MB's GM career!

-i think Markov has rested enough this season... he's looking good lately

beaulieau and pateryn don't look good together and never have, not even in st.johns , nesterov is a lefty so he struggles on the right...

ultimatley we need a better option in the back.

Beaulieau weber 

emelin petry (had sucess together the year we acquired him)

Markov shattenkirk?

Also secondary scoring on the 3rd and especially the 4th line have dried up because we moved those 3rd and 4th liners up the line up... 

Was a very entertaining OT and great to see Price play well in last two games.

The 'good' Shaw showed up for his game and a good sign to see Gallagher take goalie interference penalty.

Lehkonen continues to put shots on the net, but like Gallagher and several others is snake bit.

Exciting OT, well-played game overall.  Big two points. I thought Pleks had a good game, and it seemed to me like the wingers were in their proper spots based on merit.  Shaw was also good, but couldn't resist an absolute bone-head penalty.  No justification for him being paid like a second-liner. 

Julien doesn't seem to have much confidence in the bottom pairing based on minutes.  Emelin and Weber are unfortunately going to give up awful goals like that first one sometimes, I can't help but feel like they'd be exploited in a 7-game series, along with an ancient Markov.

23 minutes ago, Neech said:

Exciting OT, well-played game overall.  Big two points. I thought Pleks had a good game, and it seemed to me like the wingers were in their proper spots based on merit.  Shaw was also good, but couldn't resist an absolute bone-head penalty.  No justification for him being paid like a second-liner. 

Julien doesn't seem to have much confidence in the bottom pairing based on minutes.  Emelin and Weber are unfortunately going to give up awful goals like that first one sometimes, I can't help but feel like they'd be exploited in a 7-game series, along with an ancient Markov.

I love Markov but if he wants to retire a Hab I suggest this be his last year. His body just won't do what his brain says.

Guest Stogey24
4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I agree with your assessment. Push comes to shove, I'd see a puck-mover as more important, and cross my fingers on the C position.

It is a tough decision, but if you can't get the puck out of your own end, it doesn't matter who you have playing centre. 

2 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Trade for Shattenkirk. Play him on the third pair when he cost you a first round pick and a high prospect. Genius!

Shattenkirk and Markov as a pair could arguably be our first pair...

the lines written were in no particular order...  because all 3 would be fairly equal... I do believe

and I think his value is much less because STL is dealing from weakness as everyone and there mother knows! he's outta St. Louis... and picks and prospects are worth much more these days..

does pateryn DD and and 2nd this year get it done with a conditional 1st if we sign him? with us paying the rest of DD's salary ( can you pay the salary but the cap hit go to St. Louis?) I don't know 

Anyways, im  not gonna get into what he'll cost but a move like that would really put our defence core as a major strength.... yes genius it is...

1 hour ago, habs rule said:

I love Markov but if he wants to retire a Hab I suggest this be his last year. His body just won't do what his brain says.

Too bad more hab forwards cant produce at 0.63points/game also (which would include all of them but 67-47-27 and Hudon). Yes, toss him on scrap heap...or perhaps you want to trade him March 1st? Am sure would have lots of playoff bound teams lined up to bid on him.

But, you love him eh....hmmm?:popcorn:

12 minutes ago, DON said:

Too bad more hab forwards cant produce at 0.63points/game also (which would include all of them but 67-47-27 and Hudon). Yes, toss him on scrap heap...or perhaps you want to trade him March 1st? Am sure would have lots of playoff bound teams lined up to bid on him.

But, you love him eh....hmmm?:popcorn:

Don whether we like it or not, he is 38 and slowing down fast. He get's beat at the blue line, a lot. There is no point in trying to trade him, you wouldn't get anything.  Too many athletes hang on too long. His knees are in bad shape hence the loss of speed. He is still one of the smartest players on the ice, but the end is coming close. I would give him a 1 year contract for 2.5 to 3 million. At his age the salary decreases. It is just my opinion but I want  him to retire as a Hab.

21 minutes ago, habs rule said:

Don whether we like it or not, he is 38 and slowing down fast. He get's beat at the blue line, a lot. There is no point in trying to trade him, you wouldn't get anything.  Too many athletes hang on too long. His knees are in bad shape hence the loss of speed. He is still one of the smartest players on the ice, but the end is coming close. I would give him a 1 year contract for 2.5 to 3 million. At his age the salary decreases. It is just my opinion but I want  him to retire as a Hab.

Come on, not a chance in hell he will sign for that chump change.

Wouldn't get anything for Markov...again respectfully...you are seriously undevaluimh what he offers and brings to the Habs.

(I think was stat shown awhile ago, he is worth 1/2 goal per game to the Habs...that is quite something.)  

It appeared to me it was Emelin, Weber, Pateryn, Beaulieu and Petry who got beat, not the old timer, who played another solid game...don't you think so?

Markov has been one of our best - if not best - defenceman over Weber's 40 game slump (which now seems mercifully over). It would be folly to trade him if we have the intention of winning.

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Markov has been one of our best - if not best - defenceman over Weber's 40 game slump (which now seems mercifully over). It would be folly to trade him if we have the intention of winning.

I wouldn't trade him this year. i am looking to the future.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Come on, not a chance in hell he will sign for that chump change.

Wouldn't get anything for Markov...again respectfully...you are seriously undevaluimh what he offers and brings to the Habs.

(I think was stat shown awhile ago, he is worth 1/2 goal per game to the Habs...that is quite something.)  

It appeared to me it was Emelin, Weber, Pateryn, Beaulieu and Petry who got beat, not the old timer, who played another solid game...don't you think so?

You must be watching different games than I do. I did not get to see much of the last game so cannot comment. I think what I should do is let you know when he gets beat in a game. It happens 2 or 3 times a game. It is getting worse.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Importance of winning faceoffs, see Weber's one timer PP goal as exhibit A!

Scrambled draw.  Won a puck battle on the play. 

Puck battles are important.  We won a puck battle to gain possession on shaw's goal too. 

The idea is that one puck battle (faceoffs) isn't more important than all the others that happen in a game.