Habs sign Mark Streit, 1 year, $700,000

Commandant

11 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

This is not a team that's all in. 

This is self-evident at this point. But the picture may yet change depending on how he uses that cap space. Given his general mediocrity, I'm not optimistic.

11 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

This is self-evident at this point. But the picture may yet change depending on how he uses that cap space. Given his general mediocrity, I'm not optimistic.

It's interesting because the way the team looks currently, it's done. It's easy to figure who will be in the lineup next year at forward and defence. It's easy to get to 13 forwards and 7 D. 

But it's also pretty clear that with the cap and the players in their roles, it feels like the team is going to trade for someone and move bodies for that player. You don't sign Hemsky and Streit right after losing Radulov and Markov unless the goal is to fill those spots. I don't disagree with folks who think a trade is coming. It's the only sensible result of how this roster currently looks. I guess the better question is, what's enough?

Almost every team with an available centre wants a defenceman back, so I get the feeling that a trade will not be for someone in the rumours. Similar to the Blues getting Schenn. Honestly that's the kind of deal I think Bergevin is looking for. 

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

It's interesting because the way the team looks currently, it's done. It's easy to figure who will be in the lineup next year at forward and defence. It's easy to get to 13 forwards and 7 D. 

But it's also pretty clear that with the cap and the players in their roles, it feels like the team is going to trade for someone and move bodies for that player. You don't sign Hemsky and Streit right after losing Radulov and Markov unless the goal is to fill those spots. I don't disagree with folks who think a trade is coming. It's the only sensible result of how this roster currently looks. I guess the better question is, what's enough?

Almost every team with an available centre wants a defenceman back, so I get the feeling that a trade will not be for someone in the rumours. Similar to the Blues getting Schenn. Honestly that's the kind of deal I think Bergevin is looking for. 

I've said this many times, but I think galchenyuk will be moved and it will be another move we end up regretting.

9 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I've said this many times, but I think galchenyuk will be moved and it will be another move we end up regretting.

Im scared thinking it might be Chucky for Giroux and I wouldnt be surprised seeing MB adding valuable pieces as well...

Mark Recchi trade all over again.

Just now, hab29RETIRED said:

When you look at the top nine:

LW: Pacioretty, Lehkonen, Byron

C: Danault, Plekanec 

RW: Gallagher, Hemsky, Shaw

?: Drouin, Galchenyuk

That's 10 forwards for the top nine. Someone certainly has to go, and you're probably correct on Galchenyuk. I actually think we will also see Byron moved. Cheap contract, good production last, probably valuable to a team with a tight budget.

A real head scratcher for me has been how the heck the team is going to get Hudon into the lineup. Playing him fourth line would be a waste. Julien might also use Streit as a 7D to maximize him as a PP contributor which would shorten spots on the fourth line. 

Minnesota only has eight forwards right now. Maybe they would take a bundle? 

14 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

Im scared thinking it might be Chucky for Giroux and I wouldnt be surprised seeing MB adding valuable pieces as well...

Mark Recchi trade all over again.

If he trades Chucky for Giroulx, he should be fired immediately. In fact, if he seriously approaches Molson with that deal, he should be fired on the spot, before he can cripple the organization.

I'm reasonably confident that even Bergevin isn't that stupid. Reasonably. Not 100% confident. Which is a pretty sad indictment in itself.

5 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

If he trades Chucky for Giroulx, he should be fired immediately. In fact, if he seriously approaches Molson with that deal, he should be fired on the spot, before he can cripple the organization.

I'm reasonably confident that even Bergevin isn't that stupid. Reasonably. Not 100% confident. Which is a pretty sad indictment in itself.

You can hear the supporters now. 

"You get your first line centreman and you complain still!"

"Philly has sucked so his numbers have sucked."

"We haven't had top two centres from Quebec since 96, be happy!"

"Only 29. This is a win now move."

"He was a point per game centre only a few years ago!"

Honestly I've figured Bergevin would instead go for Couturier since he's defensive minded and would be a "diamond in the rough" seeing he puts up good totals on the third line. 

I kind of hope he does get Claude. Giroux would make the team way more interesting. You got your centre. You got your defenceman. You got your goalie. No excuses now. 

23 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Minnesota only has eight forwards right now. Maybe they would take a bundle? 

They still have Granlund, Niederreiter, and Foligno to sign which will get them to 11.  They could probably use another player or two as their minor league depth isn't great but wouldn't they be better served signing someone like Stafford in free agency over trading a better piece for depth?

6 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

You can hear the supporters now. 

"You get your first line centreman and you complain still!"

"Philly has sucked so his numbers have sucked."

"We haven't had top two centres from Quebec since 96, be happy!"

"Only 29. This is a win now move."

"He was a point per game centre only a few years ago!"

Honestly I've figured Bergevin would instead go for Couturier since he's defensive minded and would be a "diamond in the rough" seeing he puts up good totals on the third line. 

I kind of hope he does get Claude. Giroux would make the team way more interesting. You got your centre. You got your defenceman. You got your goalie. No excuses now. 

getting Giroux while we have this much cap space and possibly get Philly to retain some would be a solid move, using a guy like Galchenyuk to do it would be flat out stupid and a blunder of epic proportion.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I'd take giroux for plex and a 2nd 

Why would Philly want his contract, if really is washed up and some say Giroux is declining asset also, so why Habs take his 5 more years at $8.25/yr?

What do i care about what philly wants? I said that I AM willing/ or i would take giroux for plex and a 2nd. That's what i would be willing yo give up for 5 years and 8.25million of giroux. I didn't say philly would take it and I didn't say it was fair...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

What do i care about what philly wants? I said that I AM willing/ or i would take giroux for plex and a 2nd. That's what i would be willing yo give up for 5 years and 8.25million of giroux. I didn't say philly would take it and I didn't say it was fair...

But you do know everyone would be willing to trade Plekanec for nothing or add a 2nd for anyone to take him and most everyone likely wouldn't touch Giroux because of Prices upcoming contract next year plus he is looking washed up, so it is just a stupid proposal. 

44 minutes ago, DON said:

But you do know everyone would be willing to trade Plekanec for nothing or add a 2nd for anyone to take him and most everyone likely wouldn't touch Giroux because of Prices upcoming contract next year plus he is looking washed up, so it is just a stupid proposal. 

Ryder + a 2nd: The Return

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DON said:

glad we finally agree about something

On 28/07/2017 at 1:36 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Agreed. As much as I like Giroux, he's on the decline and has been for the past 3-4 years. Trading Giroux for Chucky would be a monumental mistake by the Habs and I would be the first person in line to throw rocks at Bergevin! ;)