Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dlbalr

2017-18 NHL Thread

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, illWill said:

 

This team? Oh gawd no. Is it that far off? I don't think so. Obviously the miracle is being able to sign a Tavares or drafting a Dahlin and signing a Stastny perhaps. Regardless this isn't the team that's going to be iced in October and there are some great pieces here already. It's about time Montreal got some luck though

 

To that end, recall that I'm a 'retool,' not a 'rebuild' guy. But as for luck, we were pretty lucky last year not to have any real injuries at playoff time; too bad we were too lousy a team to do anything with that good fortune. The luckiest thing would be for Molson to sell the team to an owner who can recognize a crap GM when one is right in front of him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The luckiest thing would be for Molson to sell the team to an owner who can recognize a crap GM when one is right in front of him.

 

Maybe Andrew or Justin, the other owners, decide he's doing a bad job and push him out of the CEO/President job to put someone else there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

To that end, recall that I'm a 'retool,' not a 'rebuild' guy. But as for luck, we were pretty lucky last year not to have any real injuries at playoff time; too bad we were too lousy a team to do anything with that good fortune. The luckiest thing would be for Molson to sell the team to an owner who can recognize a crap GM when one is right in front of him.

 

Yes the lack of injuries last season was a breath of fresh air for once. I moreso meant luck in the sense of signing an elite UFA or winning the draft lottery. I still think that it's unlucky that this draft doesn't have any top end centers where Montreal will be drafting. And even in 2012 when the Habs had their highest pick since I don't know When, it happened to be the worst draft in a long time and the centers to choose from were Galchenyuk or Grigorenko...Any other year and they have their #1 center right now 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Proper development and they have a number 1 centre right now. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Proper development and they have a number 1 centre right now. 

Proper evaluation then proper development and they have a number one center right now.

 

The evaluation of players we draft has been very bad and needs to be addressed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Detroit finally won a game (despite trying really hard not to) and pass the Habs in the standings. Just need Ottawa to be a buddy and win their game in hand to drop Montreal to 4th last.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

Detroit finally won a game (despite trying really hard not to) and pass the Habs in the standings. Just need Ottawa to be a buddy and win their game in hand to drop Montreal to 4th last.

Yeah but price is back which would mean more points for the habs 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Commandant said:

Proper development and they have a number 1 centre right now. 

 

Example? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, illWill said:

 

Example? 

Galchenyuk of course, which seems is his main beef with Julien-Therrien-Muller. It is the teams fault he is what he is, id like to see him play RW instead. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, illWill said:

 

Example? 

 

When Julien had Seguin, he could have played him as an offensive 3C. He instead played him as a winger. When Seguin went to Dallas he sucked as a centre but they insulated him and let him work as many faceoffs as possible. Today, Seguin is actually good defensively as a centre as well as being great offensively. And he was pretty much just as defensively inept as Galchenyuk once was. There were a lot of fans who wanted them to give up on Seguin as a C and go with Benn instead at centre, but Dallas persisted on making him a 1C and keeping him in the spot and it worked. Montreal tugged Galchenyuk around only to eventually give up completely. The same process may happen to Drouin if they end up signing a centre, as Bergevin already said that Drouin is ideally a winger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, DON said:

Galchenyuk of course, which seems is his main beef with Julien-Therrien-Muller. It is the teams fault he is what he is, id like to see him play RW instead. 

 

 

I thought you were going to say Drouin. He has been progressing as as 2C and may become a 1C

Edited by alfredoh2009
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

 

When Julien had Seguin, he could have played him as an offensive 3C. He instead played him as a winger. When Seguin went to Dallas he sucked as a centre but they insulated him and let him work as many faceoffs as possible. Today, Seguin is actually good defensively as a centre as well as being great offensively. And he was pretty much just as defensively inept as Galchenyuk once was. There were a lot of fans who wanted them to give up on Seguin as a C and go with Benn instead at centre, but Dallas persisted on making him a 1C and keeping him in the spot and it worked. Montreal tugged Galchenyuk around only to eventually give up completely. The same process may happen to Drouin if they end up signing a centre, as Bergevin already said that Drouin is ideally a winger.

 

Nazem Kadri for example #2. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sigh. The Galchenyuk file is even more depressing when you consider these examples of other teams who managed to develop talented C. :1vomit:

 

The Drouin experiment does seem to be improving over the past few weeks, though. Maybe they're not making the same mistake twice. Then again, I'm leery of drawing too many conclusions from games played during "garbage time."

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing they have done with Drouin, is the thing they didn't do with Galchenyuk. 

 

When he made mistakes, they lived through it and left him at Centre. 

 

When everyone screamed he was better on the wing, they lived through it and left him at Centre. 

 

When he wasn't scoring, they lived through it and left him at Centre. 

 

They should have done the same with Galchenyuk. 

 

heck they should move Galchenyuk to centre now, and next season and do the same and run Drouin - Galchenyuk - Danault as the top three lines. 

 

They won't... but thats what should have been done from day one and should be done now. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The thing they have done with Drouin, is the thing they didn't do with Galchenyuk. 

 

When he made mistakes, they lived through it and left him at Centre. 

 

When everyone screamed he was better on the wing, they lived through it and left him at Centre. 

 

When he wasn't scoring, they lived through it and left him at Centre. 

 

They should have done the same with Galchenyuk. 

 

heck they should move Galchenyuk to centre now, and next season and do the same and run Drouin - Galchenyuk - Danault as the top three lines. 

 

They won't... but thats what should have been done from day one and should be done now. 

You are some fixated on this. Sucks that being a winger is such a downgrade, like Patrick Kane who was tried at centre but is a bust I guess, even though Kadri finally made it at centre 9 years after being drafted.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being strong at centre is part of being a great team. 

 

No team has won a Stanley Cup without a strong number 1 centre. 

 

The value of centres in trades far outweighs the value of wingers, there is a reason for this. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Being strong at centre is part of being a great team. 

 

No team has won a Stanley Cup without a strong number 1 centre. 

 

The value of centres in trades far outweighs the value of wingers, there is a reason for this. 

 

New Jersey in 95.

 

So one team.

 

But that's it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Commandant said:

 

The value of centres in trades far outweighs the value of wingers, there is a reason for this. 

 

Supply and demand would play a part in that as there are more wingers than centers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, illWill said:

 

Supply and demand would play a part in that as there are more wingers than centers

 

And that is even more reason why you should be focused on developing a player with the potential to be a top centre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, illWill said:

 

Supply and demand would play a part in that as there are more wingers than centers

Seems are 2x as many working in NHL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Commandant said:

The thing they have done with Drouin, is the thing they didn't do with Galchenyuk. 

 

When he made mistakes, they lived through it and left him at Centre. 

 

When everyone screamed he was better on the wing, they lived through it and left him at Centre. 

 

When he wasn't scoring, they lived through it and left him at Centre. 

 

They should have done the same with Galchenyuk. 

 

heck they should move Galchenyuk to centre now, and next season and do the same and run Drouin - Galchenyuk - Danault as the top three lines. 

 

They won't... but thats what should have been done from day one and should be done now. 

 

Yeah if there was any season to try Galchenyuk at center and leave him there, it would be this one. But for whatever reason they don't seem to want him to play there and would rather have guys like Paul Byron try it out. 

 

Hypothetically a Drouin-Galchenyuk-Danault top 3 center configuration would definitely help the composition of this team but it doesn't seem like that's going to happen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Commandant said:

 

And that is even more reason why you should be focused on developing a player with the potential to be a top centre.

When we get one with that potential, they will likely do just that.

  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Paul Byron is one name. Charles Hudon and Daniel Carr have also been used at centre this year. 

 

They currently have Jacob de la Rose centring the second line... A guy who had no offence before this year. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Paul Byron is one name. Charles Hudon and Daniel Carr have also been used at centre this year. 

 

They currently have Jacob de la Rose centring the second line... A guy who had no offence before this year. 

 

I'm not even sure he has offence this year...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, illWill said:

 

Yeah if there was any season to try Galchenyuk at center and leave him there, it would be this one. But for whatever reason they don't seem to want him to play there and would rather have guys like Paul Byron try it out. 

 

Hypothetically a Drouin-Galchenyuk-Danault top 3 center configuration would definitely help the composition of this team but it doesn't seem like that's going to happen

 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Paul Byron is one name. Charles Hudon and Daniel Carr have also been used at centre this year. 

 

They currently have Jacob de la Rose centring the second line... A guy who had no offence before this year. 

 

 

In addition to tanking, this turns out to be the reason they have Galchenyuk playing wing rather than center. The team mentality seems to be that centers should focus on defense and wingers not as much. As a result, wingers can focus on offense. I guess generally this is true for any team, but the reason they have Galchenyuk and have had Drouin on the wing at times is so that they can focus their attention on the other (offensive) side of the rink. This is not my opinion, just actually the reason they've at least come up with for playing Galchenyuk there. 

 

With that being said my lineup with the current squad (assuming healthy) would be

 

Pacioretty - Drouin - Gallagher

Hudon - Galchenyuk - Scherbak

Byron - Danault - Lehkonen

Carr - Shaw - Deslauriers

 

or 

 

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Drouin

Byron - Hudon - Gallagher

Lehkonen - Danault - Scherbak

Deslauriers - Carr - Shaw

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×