2017-18 NHL Thread

dlbalr

• dlbalr pinned this topic

A bit of a strange situation in Vegas.  They waived Calvin Pickard (who cleared) so that they could keep Malcolm Subban (who has been an AHL backup the last couple of years) as their new backup in the NHL.  They also are carrying nine defencemen in order to avoid risking losing one of Brad Hunt, Jon Merrill, and Griffin Reinhart on waivers.  To do so, they're keeping Shea Theodore and Vadim Shipachev in the minors to start the season.  I have to think there will be a trade coming soon to alleviate that defensive logjam.

12 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Brad Hunt ? They don't play Theodore because they're affraid of losing Brad Hunt ?!?!?!

Pretty much.  Although to be honest, I think Hunt is blocking Shipachev and it's one of their other d-men blocking Theodore at this point.

Can any of those guys move a puck? Could they potentially represent an upgrade for the Habs at the #7 d-man position? (i.e., better than Davidson; I know they're better than Streit, because everyone is)

Hunt is a good puck mover but is basically another Marc-Andre Bergeron.  Reinhart is a major bust that's basically a #7 guy at best while Merrill is probably the best of the three but isn't much of an upgrade on Davidson.  None of them are particularly valuable.

Guest Stogey24
On 06/10/2017 at 2:34 PM, dlbalr said:

A bit of a strange situation in Vegas.  They waived Calvin Pickard (who cleared) so that they could keep Malcolm Subban (who has been an AHL backup the last couple of years) as their new backup in the NHL.  They also are carrying nine defencemen in order to avoid risking losing one of Brad Hunt, Jon Merrill, and Griffin Reinhart on waivers.  To do so, they're keeping Shea Theodore and Vadim Shipachev in the minors to start the season.  I have to think there will be a trade coming soon to alleviate that defensive logjam.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but apparently Shipachev hasn't reported to who ever Vegas' affiliate team is 

2 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but apparently Shipachev hasn't reported to who ever Vegas' affiliate team is 

They have an agreement that he doesn't actually have to go there and that he can stay in Vegas and skate on his own.

Guest Stogey24
8 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

They have an agreement that he doesn't actually have to go there and that he can stay in Vegas and skate on his own.

Ya, I just saw that actually. He's with his wife or something like that.

10 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Ya, I just saw that actually. He's with his wife or something like that.

It's a compromise - they know he shouldn't be in the AHL so this way, he doesn't have to go there.  If this lasts much longer though, you have to wonder if it's going to become an issue.

Guest Stogey24
28 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

It's a compromise - they know he shouldn't be in the AHL so this way, he doesn't have to go there.  If this lasts much longer though, you have to wonder if it's going to become an issue.

Seems more than likely it's going to become an issue. Mcphee said he's in no hurry to make a trade or call players up. 

I know Bergevin had no interest in ship in the offseason, but i think he needs to atleast test the water on this one. If he can be had for a prospect, I think Bergevin should pull the trigger. 

9 hours ago, sbhatt said:

The 'basturd' is Marc Bergevin: Sergachev wanted to put on this display of his skill in MTL.

No, still would prefer more firepower up front and Drouin has also started out season well, so no complaints...just 'what if' coulda kept him and Radulov and added Drouin. Oh well, cant have cake and eat it as well.

No sense beating ourselves up about any of Sergachev's success. We knew we were trading what could be a top 2 dman in exchange for some scoring punch up front. Also locking in Drouin at 5.5 is a steal. And what would the offense be like if the trade didn't happen? 

• Upvote 2

I wouldn't really call Drouin a scorer even though assists still lead to goals. He's a 60 point player right now with 20-30 goals in him. 

Also, I doubt the offense would look the same, just subtract Drouin. His signing came early enough that we could have made some other moves to bolster the lineup up front had we not traded for him.

Finally, our defence would have been better with Sergechev regardless of how it's true that Mete has done well.

I never loved the trade and don't know why I would want to change my mind at this point. Drouin is great to have and the trade on its own can be looked at as one of Bergevin's wins.

In the grand scheme of things though, it actually doesn't make much sense. Instead of placing the weight of the world his shoulders, I would have locked up some of the other players mentioned here first. 

Sign Markov? Alright, at least Sergachev is expendable *this* season. Sign Radulov? Now let's go out there and bolster our offense. 

It doesn't make sense to me to trade for Drouin and then *hope* either Markov or Radulov will sign based on their "market" value. We traded our best prospect to remain the same and while there's some retrospect in play, it wasn't a move that put us over the top by any means. Glad to have Drouin but even when he lifts the cup for us, that trade will always remain a "meh" move because of all the context surrounding it. 

It's being played out as though we traded for our first line center and while Drouin seems to have great hockey IQ, I can see (just a personal opinion) how he might be a player who would truly flourish at wing. For such a great move, there shouldn't have been so much uncertainty surrounding it. For there to even be a mixed bag of opinions amongst relatively rational fans, demonstrates that something was awry. This move should have been a slam dunk, and I understand that that's how some people still view it. 

Guest Stogey24
4 hours ago, illWill said:

No sense beating ourselves up about any of Sergachev's success. We knew we were trading what could be a top 2 dman in exchange for some scoring punch up front. Also locking in Drouin at 5.5 is a steal. And what would the offense be like if the trade didn't happen? 

Well good chance Radulov would have been signed because Bergevin would have really had no choice....not going down this road though 

21 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I wouldn't really call Drouin a scorer even though assists still lead to goals. He's a 60 point player right now with 20-30 goals in him. 

Also, I doubt the offense would look the same, just subtract Drouin. His signing came early enough that we could have made some other moves to bolster the lineup up front had we not traded for him.

Finally, our defence would have been better with Sergechev regardless of how it's true that Mete has done well.

I never loved the trade and don't know why I would want to change my mind at this point. Drouin is great to have and the trade on its own can be looked at as one of Bergevin's wins.

In the grand scheme of things though, it actually doesn't make much sense. Instead of placing the weight of the world his shoulders, I would have locked up some of the other players mentioned here first. 

Sign Markov? Alright, at least Sergachev is expendable *this* season. Sign Radulov? Now let's go out there and bolster our offense. 

It doesn't make sense to me to trade for Drouin and then *hope* either Markov or Radulov will sign based on their "market" value. We traded our best prospect to remain the same and while there's some retrospect in play, it wasn't a move that put us over the top by any means. Glad to have Drouin but even when he lifts the cup for us, that trade will always remain a "meh" move because of all the context surrounding it. 

It's being played out as though we traded for our first line center and while Drouin seems to have great hockey IQ, I can see (just a personal opinion) how he might be a player who would truly flourish at wing. For such a great move, there shouldn't have been so much uncertainty surrounding it. For there to even be a mixed bag of opinions amongst relatively rational fans, demonstrates that something was awry. This move should have been a slam dunk, and I understand that that's how some people still view it. 

I supported the trade on the premise that we'd resign Radulov. Once we failed to do that, the trade became a question of surrendering our only elite prospect without improving the team overall. Classic Bergevin management, all lateral moves, even as the organization slowly rots from within.

On its own terms, the trade is a loss for us if Drouin becomes a top-line W and Sergy becomes a legit #1 D-man. As I've said before, if Drouin evolves into a bona-fide #1C then the deal is a win no mattet what Sergy does. Right now, it looks as though this deal is a win for Tampa, but that Drouin is good enough to prevent it from being an abject disaster for the Habs. By the pathetic standard of Habs' blockbuster trades, that's a 'win.' :rolleyes:

• dlbalr unpinned this topic