Official Off Season Thread

Fanpuck33

Interesting comments so far about what we should do............and knowing BG, he'll do something totally unexpected....in any event, some observations:

Garth Murray......although he didn't score, he won every single battle, him w/Begin on our 4th line is a lock.

Radek Bonk.......I can't stand players that only play when they feel like it....dump him if we can find a taker.

Ribs...........very bad rep around the league, will be hard to trade......... just fire him.

Zed......seemed to gel w/Plex & Perez....last chance?

Bulis.......Fourth line with Begin & Murray...if he's unhappy about that, then trade him, because he sure as hell proved in the playoffs that he is no 1st or 2nd line player.

Dandy....playoff experience showed up big time, to the point where he may have inspired the likes of Komi & Cube to pick up their game

Markov.........Finally showed up in the final game, where he actually took some chances.....he needs to play a little more reckless.....however, can't underestimate his PP presence in finding the open man.

Souray..........As somebody mentioned earlier, his plusses far outweigh his minuses....leave him alone.

Our defence actually played well as a group

Aebi....Our best trade bait

Next Year's Lines

Koivu/Higgins/Ryder

?/?/ Kovalev

Plex/Zed/Perez

Begin/Murray/Bulis

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if we will see Latendresse next season.

I think he'll probably start in th AHL,... but being a callup is definitely a possiblity if he surprises us in the preseason again.

Also heres a link to TSN, theyre saying what weve been saying.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=164776&hubname=nhl

:hlogo:

Next Year's Lines

Koivu/Higgins/Ryder

?/?/ Kovalev

Plex/Zed/Perez

Begin/Murray/Bulis

THat sounds good. Kovalev on the wing with Kostitsyn. All we need is a good centre on that line. Another good D-player and we're set!! Ok it's sounds very easy, but if Gainey could pull that off i think we have a big team, that can do some damage next year!

On the Goalie department i don't have a clue. I like all three goalies. I know it's maybe the best option to lose Aeby cause Danis needs to be second. But you never know how Huet will be next season, and i just like Aeby :D. Well i'm glad i dont have to make that decision!

I would expect to see Latendresse in Hamilton next year. I think it would be best for him. 82 games is a long schedule and he'd most likely wear down and slump at some point.

Give him a full year to develop at the AHL level then see what he can do the next year

I would expect to see Latendresse in Hamilton next year. I think it would be best for him. 82 games is a long schedule and he'd most likely wear down and slump at some point.

Give him a full year to develop at the AHL level then see what he can do the next year

Latendresse cannot play in Hamilton next season because of the CHL/AHL agreement. It's Montreal or Drummondville in his case. I really doubt we'll see him in the lineup next season, especially not with other prospects like Kostsitsyn, Lapierre, and Chipchura (and to a much lesser extent Milroy and Locke) already fighting for a spot on the roster.

Latendresse cannot play in Hamilton next season because of the CHL/AHL agreement. It's Montreal or Drummondville in his case. I really doubt we'll see him in the lineup next season, especially not with other prospects like Kostsitsyn, Lapierre, and Chipchura (and to a much lesser extent Milroy and Locke) already fighting for a spot on the roster.

Well he'll need a training camp better than this years to make the club. I wouldn't expect to see him in montreal this year

depending on acquisitions and trade-losses, it might not be the worst thing in the world to give him his 20 games in the nhl (thats basically the send back to Q deadline, right?)... but you do have kost ready for next year, so probably guy back after training camp.

if somehow higs is pressed into 2nd line centre service and there is no other top-6 brought in, latendresse might have space for a shot

Or atleast force the guys on the powerplay, Penalty Kill and most especially in the last few mintues of the game use Wooden Sticks. When are these guys going to realize the composite sticks jsut arn't worth a few more miles an hour on your slap shot?

Well he'll need a training camp better than this years to make the club. I wouldn't expect to see him in montreal this year

I don't know about that. He has another year of growth and maturity under his belt, and that will play a role on whether he makes the team. If he plays well, I can see him making the team, even if he doesn't wow people like last year. With a powerforward like him, you want to make sure he's done growing and can hold up to the rigors of the NHL. Look at what happened with Brule in Columbus. They thought he was ready, and after two major injuries he was sent back to juniors to fill out his body. In the process, he lost two valuable months.

depending on acquisitions and trade-losses, it might not be the worst thing in the world to give him his 20 games in the nhl (thats basically the send back to Q deadline, right?)... but you do have kost ready for next year, so probably guy back after training camp.

The limit is 10 games, but I would for sure let Latendresse play 10 games to see what he can do.

Returning:

UFA Francis Bouillon for 2 years at 1.0M/year: I've been a little hard on Bouillon in the past, perhaps mostly to offset all the praise he gets from some fans, but the fact is that he's a good honest player. He works very hard, he's quite reliable, and he doesn't make too many mistakes. I still believe that he plays too much for what he really brings, and that he cannot keep his level of play 82 games a year, but if we increase Komisarek's workload next season, I think Bouillon would greatly benefit from that.

RFA Mike Komisarek for 3 years at 1.2M/year: We need to sign Komisarek, and he still doesn't have much bargaining power. Next contract will be much bigger, so let's enjoy him for cheap for as long as possible.

RFA Chris Higgins for 3 years at 1.4M/year: His situation is very similar to Komisarek's, but his agent will sure mention his goal totals during negociations.

RFA Garth Murray for 1 year at 650K: Provides some good depth, a good skater and plenty of determination. Kinka like an anglo version of Steve Begin. Could form a solid banger/energy line with Begin and Lapierre.

RFA Alex Perezhogin for 2 years at 900K/year: Also doesn't have any negociating power, and still has alot to prove.

RFA Micheal Ryder for 2 years at 1.8M: I'm afraid his agent will ask a lot more, but Ryder still has lots to prove despite a 30-goal season. I'm not comfortable giving him big money yet, and I think he might make Theodore-like threatsm, and miss some of the camp, if not some season games.

Cristobal Huet for 2 years at 2.8M: I really hope that we won't offer him a huge, long-term contract after just one great half-season. Give him a big raise, but plase Gainey be conservative.

Leaving:

UFA Todd Simpson: Ne need to bring back Simpson. I'd rather give Andrew Archer a chance if we have injuries.

RFA Mark Streit: Tough one, but there will be a lot of depth defensemen available this summer. Streit wasn't horrible, but things didn't work out. He may also prefer being a superstar in the Switzerland instead of a bench warmer here.

RFA Mike Ribeiro:

RFA Pierre Dagenais: Hell no... let him sign with some AHL or Euro team.

UFA Aaron Downey: Didn't do badly, but would just take a roster spot away from a kid like Maxim Lapierre.

UFA Niklas Sundstrom: I never thought Gainey would resign him last summer... what a waste of a million dollars.

RFA David Aebischer: He already said that he wants to be number 1, and get at least 60 starts next season which means that he won't accept the backup or shared duties role, and that he's a jerk who wants everything handed out to him without having to prove himself. We should tend him a qualifying offer, and either trade his rights, or get some compensatory draft picks.

montreal's always been blessed with great goalies. and it,s been sometimes hard to decide wich one to let go.

this year, bob gainay as to take one of his most important decision of his gm career.

on one side, we got christobal huet: a goalie that gainey did want but had to take in the bonk/garon trade. HE HIS the reason why we showed respectable numbers and were able to participate in the 2006 playoffs series.

at 30 years old, he's still a young lad for a goalie and could be good for many years to come.

he's a fan favourite and his teammates seem to like him alot. he also would love to play in MTL but at what price ??

down side: unproven in the past...remember jim carrey ??

he's also a UFA next season and will be looked by the lightnings...we could lose him for nothing this summer

in the other corner...David Aebischer

younger goalie who had roy as a mentor...before being traded to montreal, he was the leagues best goalie(number wise) since january 1st.

gainey got aebischer even though he didn't want him but wanted to get rid of jose theodore so bad.

Aebischer feels he could be a number one in montreal and wants to play 50+ games next season !!

plus sides: proven #1 goalie RFA, good trade value

down side: will never win a stanley cup (IMO)

we also have yan danis, a younger goalie who could become a bonafide #1 in the future

not a big trade value

we also have jaroslav halak and carey price in the system..

so here's my question: what do you do with the goalies??

my choice:

1-sign huet for 2-3 year deal

2-trade aebischer and get a legit 2 line player or a better defense man

we could also package for a greater player..but who ??

3- give danis the 2nd goalie position

It all depends on what Huet will be asking ... if it's over 3.0, I say let him walk and keep Aebisher.

If we can sign Huet for 2-3 years at around 2.0, you have to do it. He's perfect with Danis and by the time we have to resign him or not, we'll know if Price is the real deal or not.

If you sign Huet, you have to trade Aebisher ... somebody will want him for sure. In BG we have to trust ...

Whatever happens I hope we dont sign Huet for more than one year at the cost of 1-2 million $. If he demands much more Id say stick to Aebisher. Danis should get a chance at battling with Aebisher for the no.1 spot and if Aebisher loses it he has to settle with the no2 job.

I still like the idea of carrying Abby for a while...just as insurance in case Huet bombs. If, say, by mid-January Huet is still going strong, then move Abby for a position player.

Problem with that is that it's costly. A 2M$ backup is pretty expensive and that money could be used this summer for UFAs.

I agree that it's a risk, but I prefer betting on Huet and improving the rest of the team...please BG, get a true goal scorer!!!

Whatever happens I hope we dont sign Huet for more than one year at the cost of 1-2 million $. If he demands much more Id say stick to Aebisher.

Somehow, judging by his modest and humble personality, i doubt he'll be very greedy/demanding about a potential contract. He'll probably accept what Bob offers without too much hassle, which will probably be a fair amount.

usually, players aren'T too greedy..but they have agents. huet says he wouln' mind signing right away while his agent says he would like to test the market

Why would Huet choke?

Yann Danis is good enough to be a backup and Carey Price will be mature when Huet is ready to call it a quit.

It's may be a risk but Aebischer is probably worth a lot on the market?

Why would Huet choke?

Yann Danis is good enough to be a backup and Carey Price will be mature when Huet is ready to call it a quit.

It's may be a risk but Aebischer is probably worth a lot on the market?

What is alot?

A 3rd-4th rounder at draftday?

I hope that was a joke. A lot of teams will be looking to upgrade their goaltending this off-season(Tor, TB, Philly, ...) so Abei better bring more than that or we may as well keep him until the deadline next season.

Edmonton traded a 1st and a conditional pick for Roloson.

Aebischer is better than Roloson.

Edmonton traded a 1st and a conditional pick for Roloson.

Aebischer is better than Roloson.

yeah but it was a stupid move...roloson isn't worht that much

here's what I think that aebischer'S worth(right now)

a top 3-4 d man

a 2nd line scorer

a mid 1st round draft choice

teams that need a goalie:

toronto-philiadelphia-ottawa( not sold on emery)-tampa bay- detroit( tey want to get rid of datsyuk :rolleyes: )

colorado :lol: -vancouver- phoenix-st louis.

things could get really interesting for gainey in the near future...sign huet and play the waiting game