GDT: No Sleep Til Brooklyn; Habs Very Own Superman Returns in Metropolis

Commandant

I like your post PMAC, and I agree that Therrien is a good coach, and it is easy to fault the coach sometimes, I like your suggestions, I would like to see stuff like that too, but even Bergevin said, "Mike tries to win every game....

even if it means over playing and taxing your best player(s)

over 30 minutes of ice time for Subban....in a loss at home to the mighty coyotes??

Even the biggest Therrien fans had to be scratching their heads on that.

To his credit the very next game he shaves 10 minutes of PK's ice time. Cuts down on Markovs too. Increases Petry and Nates and viola. Two goals for Petry, one for Nate. Subban and Markov don't lose 10 lbs getting taxed ...and Habs get the win.

Guest Stogey24

I love the second pair of Beaulieu and Petry. They compliment each other really well

This team does not need Emelin on the roster. Hopefully someone is willing to take his contract.

Actually, Therrien does know what he is doing. You don't fluke your way into one of the top records in the league and Therrien is now fourth in games coached and in games won with the Canadiens behind only Bowman, Blake, and Irvin.

No, I wasn't happy when the Canadiens hired him. No, I didn't think the team would succeed with him. Like many others I was wrong.

But c'mon. He's going to make mistakes. He is going to do things we don't like. E.g., personally, I would like to see PK or Markov sit against a weaker team and Tinordi play and I would like to see Byron play more.

It is every fan's prerogative to criticize the coach, but Therrien does do one thing we all like: win.

My point it is not nuts to suggest that Therrien knows what he is doing.

Even that idiot PJ Stock was praising Therrien's coaching on tonight's broadcast. Highlight of the intermission: Stock is trying to pretend he would have scored if he were in Fleishman's spot on the ice and the female anchor says: " Let's be real PJ: there is no way you would have scored from there". Brilliant!

Well said. I share your sentiments completely.

The case of Gallagher being moved is a good case in point. On this board, several people suggested moving Gally to the Galchenyuk line in order to get it going. MT does that, and now he is ripped for breaking up a successful scoring line. And it's not just that the specifc decision is criticized - that's entirely reasonable - but it's taken as more 'proof' that this 'idiot' Therrien 'doesn't know what he is doing,' and that somehow the team's record of 15-4 is this miracle that occurs entirely independently of, or indeed, in SPITE of, a blithering, drooling moron of a coach.

I've said this many times. Online criticism of coaching tends to be out of all proportion and, as a rule, completely misses the forest (overall team play) for the trees (micro-decisions). This team plays hard, committed, pretty well-disciplined, and spirited hockey, and wins busloads of games. Any assessment of MT should start with that - not with some decision he makes about a marginal, washed-up POS like Semin. The former is what really matters. The latter is marginalia.

• Upvote 1

I liked having gallagar get some shifts with Galchenyuk - I suggested double shifting him a couple of games back. The problem is putting smith-pelley and his stone hands with Maxpac and pleks. Smith-pelley did nothing with Galchenyuk and now did nothing with the pleks line. Either give Semin a look on thist two lines, or bring up a kid. Mitchell, Byron, Flynn and smith-owl key are not the answers.

Well said. I share your sentiments completely.

The case of Gallagher being moved is a good case in point. On this board, several people suggested moving Gally to the Galchenyuk line in order to get it going. MT does that, and now he is ripped for breaking up a successful scoring line. And it's not just that the specifc decision is criticized - that's entirely reasonable - but it's taken as more 'proof' that this 'idiot' Therrien 'doesn't know what he is doing,' and that somehow the team's record of 15-4 is this miracle that occurs entirely independently of, or indeed, in SPITE of, a blithering, drooling moron of a coach.

I've said this many times. Online criticism of coaching tends to be out of all proportion and, as a rule, completely misses the forest (overall team play) for the trees (micro-decisions). This team plays hard, committed, pretty well-disciplined, and spirited hockey, and wins busloads of games. Any assessment of MT should start with that - not with some decision he makes about a marginal, washed-up POS like Semin. The former is what really matters. The latter is marginalia.

I liked having gallagar get some shifts with Galchenyuk - I suggested double shifting him a couple of games back. The problem is putting smith-pelley and his stone hands with Maxpac and pleks. Smith-pelley did nothing with Galchenyuk and now did nothing with the pleks line. Either give Semin a look on thist two lines, or bring up a kid. Mitchell, Byron, Flynn and smith-owl key are not the answers.

I agree with that, and in fact raised the whole issue of DSP's stone hands when the idea of putting him in the top-6 was mooted.

My post above wasn't trying to say we can't question a given decision by the coach...more the way each criticized decision is then fed into a completely implausible narrative about the overwhelming stupidity/incompetence of the coach. The contempt of some fans for MT is out of all proportion with his, and his team's, overall performance.

Good post.

I love the second pair of Beaulieu and Petry. They compliment each other really well

This team does not need Emelin on the roster. Hopefully someone is willing to take his contract.

I still like Emelin for his physical play. But I hear you that he could be losing his spot all together. He should never get back to top four that is for certain.

I have said it on more then one occasion. NB is our number four. Just needed a chance to go take it.

Yeah. If Beaulieu never becomes a a top-4 defenceman, that'd be a huge disappointment. I'm no expert on prospects, but I've always tended to think of him, in fact, as a potential #2-3 guy. He's been brought along nicely and is gradually assuming a bigger role, which is exactly as it should be. The net result should indeed be to bump Emelin down to the bottom pairing - where he will be a hugely overpaid, but useful (IMHO) #5 guy. At that point, he fits the exact profile of a guy that Zoot Suit will ruthlessly ship out of town. The complication is Emelin's NTC; which he never should have been given in the first place. (Easy to say after the fact, of course).

Yeah. If Beaulieu never becomes a a top-4 defenceman, that'd be a huge disappointment. I'm no expert on prospects, but I've always tended to think of him, in fact, as a potential #2-3 guy. He's been brought along nicely and is gradually assuming a bigger role, which is exactly as it should be. The net result should indeed be to bump Emelin down to the bottom pairing - where he will be a hugely overpaid, but useful (IMHO) #5 guy. At that point, he fits the exact profile of a guy that Zoot Suit will ruthlessly ship out of town. The complication is Emelin's NTC; which he never should have been given in the first place. (Easy to say after the fact, of course).

Well said. That is the only way I see it playing out. Emelin waving the no trade, MB limited to teams he can trade with and gets little in return, the return being moving the over paid player. No big deal. Happens quite often.

Ya know its another compliment to just how good Markov is. Emelin looked and played his best when paired with Markov. It is his time with Markov that lead to the nice pay day for the rugged blue liner. Markov also lined the pockets of Breezer, Kommy, heck even Gorges looked a country mile better when paired with The General. Who ever plays with the guy, without exception their game is elevated.

Its why its at the very least, not a bad idea to split up PK and Markov. It puts one of them on the ice for 2/3 the night. Markov has slowed down of late no doubt, but he can play with ANYONE that has good speed. (now that he himself has slowed down)

Not saying they should be split up. Just that I can see some benefits that may make the Habs balance on the blueline even stronger.

Excellent post sir!

Emelin only has a full NTC until the end of this season. At that time, it becomes a partial one which opens up the options a bit. It doesn't seem likely that Beaulieu will stay in that second pairing role when Emelin comes back (just my guess) but may be pencilled into that spot for next season which conveniently lines up with Emelin's change in NTC's.

Beaulieu will be just 23 in a few weeks. With what I have seen of him thus far and the slower development curve with D-men I am very confident that he will become a strong #2-3 D. I like his game, he can do a bit of everything.

Markov and Emelin were together for a bit last year and were brutal together. They got caught so much

That was two seasons ago. Yes Markov now that Markov is slower and don't like them as a pair.

Last year Markov and Subban were a pair from October right to the last period of the last play off game. Then the coach split them up. for like half a game.

Markov has made a lot of millionaires over the years. It's pretty amazing that he doesn't get a bit more credit wit at least a norris nomination. What an amazing career. Imagine if he was healthy for those three years of his prime. Before that he was always at the top of scoring for defensemen.

Beaulieu will be just 23 in a few weeks. With what I have seen of him thus far and the slower development curve with D-men I am very confident that he will become a strong #2-3 D. I like his game, he can do a bit of everything.

In an even smaller sample size, the past few games he has looked better and more offensively creative than Subban. It won't last over the season but it tells me what I need to know about his future. I agree that he can and probably will become a top pairing defenseman. Someone compared him to Letang awhile ago and I can see the potential. He does need to shoot more but that will come.

Markov has made a lot of millionaires over the years. It's pretty amazing that he doesn't get a bit more credit wit at least a norris nomination. What an amazing career. Imagine if he was healthy for those three years of his prime. Before that he was always at the top of scoring for defensemen.

Markov never got recognition because he played on mostly non-playoff teams; and it must be said that his playoff record has been pretty uneven. If rep building really occurs in the post-season, then that'd be the explanation. But yeah, he really was the motor that made the whole team run for the better part of a decade. Fabulous player in his prime...and still pretty good today.

Markov never got recognition because he played on mostly non-playoff teams; and it must be said that his playoff record has been pretty uneven. If rep building really occurs in the post-season, then that'd be the explanation. But yeah, he really was the motor that made the whole team run for the better part of a decade. Fabulous player in his prime...and still pretty good today.

Without him in 012 they stunk the league out. 013 they get Markov back and viola, they are respectable right away . He has been that good.

Last game

19:04 for Markov

24:15 for Petry and 20:24 for Beaulieu

hope to see exact same icetime doled out again today.

(Beaulieu played 25minutes/game for couple games last Feb, got his only goal and was a + player, so would be interested to see him get 20+ more often and how he fares.)

Pateryn still seems to make smart plays with puck (no string of braincramps with puck like one #74 (and #77) is prone to have and is playing physical , although bit overaggressive on crosscheck, but good to see him knock some bodies around.

Markov has always been a favorite of mine, even though I think they should have traded him 3 years ago. He has proven me wrong with his play, but he is not what he once was. I truly hope now that he will retire as a hab and hey maybe be an assistant coach helping the defence.