Douglas Murray Signed

nhfarber

well in the 6-0 loss for instance we had galagher and gorges fighting guys twice their size (an exageration) we had prust fighting anyone he could get his hands on cause he was the only guy who can fight that we had. Yes it was embarrassing and its not the first time. Remember the beatdown by the broons. You may think these are ok things. I don't. We need to be able to fight back when we have to, and if we go back to the glory years nobody wanted to fight the canadiens including the broad street bullies. Mostly cause they got their patudies kicked. I want a highly skillied team such as in the 70's but we have to able to keep the other guys in check. Yes Murray can play, he is not a goon but a big guy who stands up for his team mates and plays stay at home defence. I didn't say anything homophobic so you are talking about someone else there.

If it's embarrassing for us, it must be murder for the players.

I think there a quite a few guys who are real happy with these signings.

These guys are professionals, they have pride, I'm sure they don't like being bullied. I remember how mad we got in 10th grade travel soccer when a hot shit club team went up 7-0 on us. There were a few red cards that game.

• Upvote 1

These guys are professionals, they have pride, I'm sure they don't like being bullied. I remember how mad we got in 10th grade travel soccer when a hot shit club team went up 7-0 on us. There were a few red cards that game.

I may be old but I remember those times well and it never leaves you. I was a guy who would attack anyone to defend team mates or my self and I understand the frustration of not really being able to do anything at times, that drove me crazy.

I may be old but I remember those times well and it never leaves you. I was a guy who would attack anyone to defend team mates or my self and I understand the frustration of not really being able to do anything at times, that drove me crazy.

Your right all sport is a mental game and having protection even if it is from a goon who really can't do much to prevent cheap shots and dirty hits, if it puts players in a more comfortable state of mind its worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

Meh...same "experts" on message boards everywhere would have derided Gainey if he picked Milan Lucic instead of Ben Maxwell in 2006 because he was a lumbering hunchback, instead of a smallish skill/speed guy. Fans everywhere have been over this issue, but some people don't like tough hockey, and would prefer the percentages game of a Tomas Kaberle with Jacques Martin behind the bench, instead of some good old, smash mouth Canadian hockey. Let's just say that Douglas Murray will bring more entertainment to the table than a 5-10, 180lb puck possession monster. Smurf apologists beware, Bergevin and Therrien like the big boys, and tough hockey, and when the Leafs and Bruins come to town, you may have to put your nancy-boy kids to bed early so they won't see all the blood...

Lucic was seen as at best a third liner. His development into a 30 goal scorer is 1 in a million. His development from his pre-draft year is remarkable and its just not something a lot of guys repeat. Taking someone because they could be the next Lucic just doesn't work. Lightning doesn't strike twice. Its like drafting the scoring leader of the 4th best division in Russia thinking you'll get the next Datsyuk.

Even then, Murray is not developping like Lucic. He is what he is at the age he is at.... I don't see the comparison.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice job, Brian! Looking at his stats, I may be underrating him a bit...lots of hits and lots of blocked shots - footspeed issues aside, these are attributes this team desperately needs. Used properly this guy could really help us. :thumbs_up: And between him and Parros, there is no denying that today's Habs are better-placed to compete in the 'physical toughness' department. I predict, therefore, that Murray will suffer a cataclysmic injury sometimes around Game Two of the regular season, because that's how it goes for the CH.

Sigh. :wall:

Sigh. :wall:

All in favour of blaming and subsequently banning from all prediction-related posting our Chicoutimi Pickle for deliberately and without provocation provoking the Karmic Gods thereby ensuring their wrath and retribution, say Aye.

All in favour of blaming and subsequently banning from all prediction-related posting our Chicoutimi Pickle for deliberately and without provocation provoking the Karmic Gods thereby ensuring their wrath and retribution, say Aye.

He could maybe redeem himself in the 2013-2014 predictions thread...

Yeah Cucumber, you're lucky we live in a moderately enlightened time, or else there might be pitchfork-brandishing mobs and accusations of witchcraft coming your way.

All in favour of blaming the messenger, say aye!

A prophet is never honoured in his own time. :B)

Actually, I'm busy making pessimistic predictions on the game thread...I'd better shut up!!

Stay away from Gallagher, Galchenyuk and Eller!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Stogey24

I wonder why Murray came in out of shape...

Murray and some of his friends from Cornell invented UberTap, a hands-free, three-spout beer keg tap, and he is a co-founder and managing partner of Uber Dispensing Co. When asked a couple of years ago by Ian Walker of the Vancouver Sun how he earned the nickname “Crankshaft,” Murray replied: “Long secret story. A fun trip with some guys on the team about four years ago and I guess I keep on going pretty strong. That’s all I’ll say about that.”

But... who said Murray was out of shape ? Never read or heard that in the medias...

On l'AC someone said that Murray had told Carbo that he hadn't done much skating before being signed. It's probably a worthless rumour, but his camp injuries haven't done much to disprove it. In his shirtless scene in 24CH he looked pretty lean, however.

Guest Stogey24

But... who said Murray was out of shape ? Never read or heard that in the medias...

It was a joke bud. At 250lbs and signing as late as he did in the off season; I would bet he wasn't in the greatest condition. When a guy gets injured that early in PRE SEASON. It's usually a a pretty good indicator he came in a little out of shape.

Apparently he wasn't in the best shape when he went to the penguins. Fairly irrelevant. Just throwing it out there.