What would it take?

Trizzak

Trying out a summer time thread...

I'm gonna say a name, you guys tell me what it would take to get that player on Montreal's roster, or, if it's a Habs player, what it would take to trade him out of Montreal.

First up: Anze Kopitar... what would it take?

Even though he will be a UFA in a year I doubt the kings eould make either of those deals.

According to Bergevin, it would take Price. But LA would probably be happy to pass on Price and stick with Quick, so that logic doesn't apply here.

The answer is: PK Subban. With Galchenyuk thrown in as a possible C.

Crazy talk CC. Subban would notch us Kopitar + , not the opposite.

I mean seriously. Subban only had four less points than Kopitar last season. And all year it felt like Subban still wasn't at 100% potential.

He's also a year younger, signed long term and is top three in his position. Kopitar is top 10 in his position. Nobody would call Kopitar the best player in the game. Subban at times has been.

To me it'd be like when Hartford traded Chris Pronger for Brendan Shanahan. Shanahan was one of the best wingers but nobody would consider him for the Hart trophy. Pronger won the Hart trophy a few years after. St. Louis won that trade, even if Hartford got a great player.

I'm looking at it from LA's perspective. We're asking them to give up their #1 C, a rock-solid core guy and multiple Cup winner. They already have a stud defenceman in Doughty. So it's not a question of whether PK is 'worth' as much, objectively, as Kopitar; it's what could induce them to sacrifice an absolutely vital core player from their roster. That would require an overpay, I suspect.

You shouldn't think so much of what a team would want in return for a star player because overpayment is always going to be the right answer. Try to think instead of what's the least a team would accept for their star player.

Good point,

At least it would have to be a center....maybe a yet unproven young kid with good potential....Barkov? Although I doubt Florida goes for that.

Galagher is one guy Who has so much more value than his production even says (which is good) Why not a top producing RW to replace his position? Say Eberle, but don't even know if I'd do that. Gallagher is a winner

For Kopitar, my guess is that L.A. would ask for Galchenyuk, a 1st round pick, as well as another prospect..Probably someone like Beaulieu or Mcarron.

For Kopitar, my guess is that L.A. would ask for Galchenyuk, a 1st round pick, as well as another prospect..Probably someone like Beaulieu or Mcarron.

I could see that. Would be interesting to see Toffoli and Galchenyuk fight over the top six centre position.

Was exactly what i guessed as well, down to mccarron haha

This seems ludicrous to me. I would be pissed if that trade happened. You do know that Galchenyuk scored more goals than Kopitar this year and he's what, 21? Plus a first round and Beaulieu? I would tell LA to shove it.

Galchenyuk & a 1st is nowhere near an overpayment for Kopitar and even adding in Beaulieu, the Kings may still say no thanks. But they aint parting with a 27 yr old 6'3" 610point super 2 way centre for chump change.

Galchenyuk & a 1st is nowhere near an overpayment for Kopitar and even adding in Beaulieu, the Kings may still say no thanks. But they aint parting with a 27 yr old 6'3" 610point super 2 way centre for chump change.

This is the classic case of over-rating other teams players while under-rating our own. Yes Kopitar is 6'3 but he's soft and he only scored 16 goals last year. Galchenyuk is much younger and we haven't seen the ceiling with him yet. He maybe a 40 goal guy in 3-4 years and then that trade would look awful bad. I would consider straight up but nothing more for Kopitar.

Then you don't make that trade cause it is a loser. I like Kopitar but not that much. In 2 years everyone would be crying how we lost Galchenyuk.