The Next Captain

Commandant

Sounds good, but I think Markov would rather eat glass than feed the crazy media mobs after every game any more than he has to.

Can you blame him?

So, I would guess Plekanec gets it and then to Subban in couple years.

Yeah, Pleks has always struck me as very talkative with the media. He's such an outspoken and vocal member of the team...

Actually, I'm not sure i've ever heard him speak, at all.

Lafleur and Dryden were my favorite players growing up, but no way Lafleur could have been captian - even if there was room. He didn't have the personality of a leader. On the ice he was great, off the ice, he was not capttain material.

WIth Robinson, there were just too many players ahead of him. When he was allowed to leave (or booted by Savard), was when he should have been captain. Word was that Robinson wanted to be captain if he resigned and Savard wouldn't do that. Savard lost his freakin mind when he purged the habs defence (Robinson, Green, Ludwig) and than traded Chelios.

Had Robinson been retained, he could have been a steadying influcence and the Carbo-Chelios rift may never have occured. Keep in mind that Robinson was a Norris nominee on the Kings and was largely credtied for the development of Blake and Zitnik.

In the current situation, other then Subban, the only other young players that MAY be captain material are Galleghar and MaxPac. I think maxpac is too hard on himself at times to be captain, and Gallaghar seems to be hated by the refs, so not sure if that would be a good idea.

YOu hit nail on head 'personality of a captain' and Subban hasnt shown examples of that ever.

Do you see you tube videos of Toews, Crosby, Brown, or any top captain working out in summer? LIke PK had last year, not a chance. Not that narcasistic for lack of a better word.

Was Subban a captain at any level of hockey? Like Tinordi or many of Habs were in junior? No.

That is my only beef with Subban, will he take a hit to make play, no! he will do all he can (even coughing up puck) to avoid getting smoked as all d-men do when retrieving puck once dumped in.

But he is a superstar, very outgoing personality and loves media, so he will do fine in couple years.

i just think markov is out of the equation.. he doesn't want it.... he'll keep his A

Max with the C

markov A

Subban A

The shift from the gorges/ gio era has allowed MB to hand this team over to the next generation in leadership. Its only natural that 2 letters will go to the new "younger" core and one will be the veteran presence. this i believe will leave plex as the odd man out!!

I still don't want to f*ck up Max Pacioretty by depositing the 10,000-lb. gorilla of the Habs captaincy on his shoulders. He needs to be free to keep working on his game, improving his consistency and learning how to come up reliably big in the crunch. But I have no problem at all with giving him an "A" if he has leadership qualities (although to be honest, it hasn't been often that the words "Pacioretty" and "leader" come up, so this "C" idea seems like still more wishful thinking, kinda like the idea that Eller is awesome).

Speaking of Eller, MT got the best results from him when he told Eller to emulate Plekanec. That speaks to the power of Pleks's example on the team, that he is a guy coaches can point to as exemplifying what you need to do to be successful. Giving him the "C" will in no way impeded the ability of Patches et al. to become leaders if they want to, any more than Gionta prevented Pleks from becoming one. Capable and committed young players typically grow into that role, and when the time is right they may themselves get the "C." Don't rush it.

With guys like Pacioretty, Plekanec and Subban, I would find it odd to see them rarely wear an A on their sweater and go into wearing the C the next season. That said, remember the hat trick game against Ottawa? Pacioretty had an A on his sweater that game. DD I don't believe has worn a letter ever for the Habs, only the Bulldogs. Plek has worn the A more than those guys but he still isn't a consistent letter wearer like Markov. Then again we did let our captain and perennial assistant (Gorges) go. Plekanec also has that Czech experience captaining guys like Jagr. Might go a long way.

Honestly if Markov doesn't want it? Might as well go with three A's.

No no we need an identity, we need a captain right away.

The more I think about it the more I believe max is in fact the guy. If you look at the situation more so you'll see max and gio are actually very very similar hockey players so to speak.... just one is younger bigger faster and stronger. But voice off the ice, good ol' American boy and all.....

Plex has no letters right now and has been looked over in the past on a bunch of occasions it doesn't seem to bother him. Subban and marky can feel as equals and help dictate the play of our team

Andre Markov would be a great first choice to wear the "C". If he says no to it then Brendan should take it. He plays with heart and

soul each and every night. He battles it out in front of the net and never backs down. That is leadership, when things are down, he never gives up!!!

He can change the flow of a game on his own. The guy is unselfish and a team player on top of it all. What else do you want for an on-ice leader?

CC has a great point about saddling Patch with a C, worrisome indeed. Bergevin would not answer the question of who will decide next captain, players or management, that tells me management probably will, dunno.

As Don mentioned, I wouldn't be shocked to see DD get appointed captain, home town boy(French journalists need), leads by example, plays on first line, may be around a while, worked his ass off to make the AHL, let alone bigs, and really shows signs of being a true leader.... ya never know.

CC has a great point about saddling Patch with a C, worrisome indeed.

As Don mentioned, I wouldn't be shocked to see DD get appointed captain, home town boy(French journalists need), leads by example, plays on first line, may be around a while, worked his ass off to make the AHL, let alone bigs, and really shows signs of being a true leader.... ya never know.

Exactly. 200% Agree.

Markov is the obvious choice. With Plek being the best alternative and DD the PC choice.

Plek may also be too hard on himself for the 10,000lb gorilla. It may weigh 20,000lbs on Plek's shoulders.

Budaj for Captain! :halm:

Personally I think.. the leadership and character that Budaj brings overshadows the difference Tokarski will make in games allocated to the back-up. With Gorges & Gionta gone.. I think Budaj is a must. I think this is a situation where MB will make a decision where character and leadership is a priority over skill. No slight to Tokarski intended.

Signing Joey MacDonald makes Bergevin's plan clear, it's easy because Tokarski won't be in the A because he would never clear waivers, so who knows what will happen? I kinda think that MT going with Tokarski in the playoffs means Budaj is done in MTL, because really, if you can't count on your backup(or believe in him as coach), then you have to give the backup job to Tokarski in light of last year's playoffs, and the few games he played in regular season, one a shut out.... without Price the chances of winning anything are slim, but as we have seen last year, injuries happen at the worst of times, and you need the best skilled guy there, character, shmaracter, Tokarski has tons!

If Budaj has any value in the league, well, trade him, otherwise, waiver him....

Guest Stogey24

Personally I think.. the leadership and character that Budaj brings overshadows the difference Tokarski will make in games allocated to the back-up. With Gorges & Gionta gone.. I think Budaj is a must. I think this is a situation where MB will make a decision where character and leadership is a priority over skill. No slight to Tokarski intended.

That's a joke, I'm sorry. You make the decision by who's going to win you games. Budaj was history the moment Tokarski got the call, IMO

That's a joke, I'm sorry. You make the decision by who's going to win you games. Budaj was history the moment Tokarski got the call, IMO

This is what I was trying to say, :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Well then the arguments that Gorges & Gio have any more valuable than Gilbert & Malhotra are moot.

Guest Stogey24

This is what I was trying to say, :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yeah, I literally saw your post right after I sent mine.

Well then the arguments that Gorges & Gio have any more valuable than Gilbert & Malhotra are moot.

Nevertheless, two vets

Yeah, I literally saw your post right after I sent mine.

None the less, two vets

lol ok then.

If your value is in vets wouldn't Budaj have the same contentions over Tokarski.. furthermore considering Gilbert and Malhotra are vets themselves...

Guest Stogey24

lol ok then.

If your value is in vets wouldn't Budaj have the same contentions over Tokarski.. furthermore considering Gilbert and Malhotra are vets themselves...

The vet has to contribute on the ice too.

The vet has to contribute on the ice too.

And a guy that is in the locker room and on the bench 80% of the season? Better to have a rookie after shipping out so much coveted veteran leadership?

• 1 month later...

When will team leadership be unveiled, after training camp or end of pre-season?

Subban must be almost a lock for the 'C' eh?

Markov aint interested at all and doubt DD/Eller/Pacioretty would be named. Plekanec seems to be only other realistic option? Because he is a career Hab, very low maintenance (other than diving foolishness, but hey.. if you aint cheating your not trying hard enough!) and works hard at both ends of ice.

But, would he want to deal with Montreal media every game?

Not likely so by elimination, very media friendly Subban may get it by default and that will be fine.

you can't force the captaincy on someone. markov didn't want it when he was healthy..and now, while the captain is addressing the media after each icetime, markov will be having a 45 minute icebath. plekanics is a solid choice, but everyone has him being shipped out at the deadline. so it may come down to subban by default. i'm ok with that.