Game Thread | Carolina vs. Canadiens | 02/06/07

Spider-Man NL

I mightve been pissed when I said what a bunch of losers but its getting very tiresome.

Name me another team who starts the first 35 games of the season as 2nd in points in the conference and then loses 13 of its next 21 games.

If you think I'm not a fan then why would I be on this site? There's not much to be happy about starting with the coaching and 3/4 of the players efforts the past 6 weeks.

Im a fan alright! My whole night is ruined when we lose and I actually wish there was a game tommorow cuz every passing hour that goes by until the next game I feel like breaking something.

I'm just tired of stupid slumps like this. Act like a real team for gods sake! A 5 game slump is normal but a 21 game slump isnt.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I second Abeisher's remarks. This team looks like contenders for 30 games, then looks like garbage for the next 30 - and for two years in a row? What gives?? It's very frustrating, and it makes you just want to grab them by the neck and throttle 'em. It's the radical, extended streaks/slumps that are so damned aggravating about this particular team.

Unfortunately this is what happens when you have a fineness team ... they can't battle for wins. The team still lacks size and a willingness to drive the net ... some players do for a few games then go back to the perimeter after they take a hit ... take Koivu ... his style is a bulldog .. but he's playing like a poodle. They need to get back to basics ... bang , crash .. then bang and crash some more ... Koivu and Kovalev HAVE to lead the way. They have to get back to being more aggressive on the PK .. I think they've toned it down alittle too much lately . The powerplay is fine .. but they suck 5 on 5 ... why ? cause they don't get they're noses dirty ... they don't drive the net ... only a hand full of players finish they're checks ...

as for the bickering / negativity in this thread ... I don't think anyone is implying that people here aren't fans ... I know it's a frustrating time to be a habs fan cause we all want the team to succeed. but some of the posts don't need to be posted ... be critical yes .. but don't look like a negative nancy that just put on an emo album and wants to share all of her negative thoughts with everyone to make them feel the same way. Just start talking about what you think is wrong and how it can be fixed ... I don't think many here want to read " this teams sucks " " the coach is and idiot " " I hope the refs are hit by a bus " etc.

:ghg:

Unfortunately this is what happens when you have a fineness team ... they can't battle for wins. The team still lacks size and a willingness to drive the net ... some players do for a few games then go back to the perimeter after they take a hit ... take Koivu ... his style is a bulldog .. but he's playing like a poodle. They need to get back to basics ... bang , crash .. then bang and crash some more ... Koivu and Kovalev HAVE to lead the way. They have to get back to being more aggressive on the PK .. I think they've toned it down alittle too much lately . The powerplay is fine .. but they suck 5 on 5 ... why ? cause they don't get they're noses dirty ... they don't drive the net ... only a hand full of players finish they're checks ...

as for the bickering / negativity in this thread ... I don't think anyone is implying that people here aren't fans ... I know it's a frustrating time to be a habs fan cause we all want the team to succeed. but some of the posts don't need to be posted ... be critical yes .. but don't look like a negative nancy that just put on an emo album and wants to share all of her negative thoughts with everyone to make them feel the same way. Just start talking about what you think is wrong and how it can be fixed ... I don't think many here want to read " this teams sucks " " the coach is and idiot " " I hope the refs are hit by a bus " etc.

I'm still hoping the ones from the pens game.

Actually, I would place money on the fact that management probably told Koivu to *cool* his banging and crashing style because that's what led to all his injury problems. The fact that he's starting to do it more and more the last couple of games is more a leadership issue in trying to get the rest of the team going rather than anything else. When the *rest* of the team was banging and crashing, it made tons more space for Koivu and Kovalev, and since it's stopped, they don't have any space anymore.

D'oh, that sucked.

Ironically, am I the only 1 who couldnt help wonder if the 2 missed chances by Striet right up close would have been goals if only it had been Sammy instead? :P

Not knocking the Sammy decision, but I just couldnt help from thinking that on Streits 1st chance. Striet will have more goals than Sammy soon enough. Striet's been doing excellent with switching between F & D positions, and sometimes even on the same shift. Keep it up Striet!! :D

Too bad the Habs have better even strength numbers now. Have not allowed a 5 on 5 goal in two games and have scored three of them.

Higgins made a great move in the third period and I really hope he is back in form and ready to play.

I was only able to watch the third period and Aebischer played pretty well. I would hope Huet starts next game not because of Aebischer's play but because of the result a loss is a loss.

Koivu needs to get going I saw the penalty he took and it was a weak call but NHL officiating has been inconsistent all year long for every team in the league you really never know when they are going to make a hooking or holding call.

for what it's worth, all i can add to this is that the canadiens played well, on the whole, tonight...

they kept up with the hurricanes and at times totally dominated them...

a couple of things knocked them down tonight...

1) williams... he seems to play well against the canadiens on a regular basis... no different tonight...

2) ward... he was hot tonight - played above average... seems to play well against the canadiens too...

other than that, our guys got lots of good chances but they were all stopped... happens...

next up? ottawa... won't be easy again...

GO :hlogo: GO!

for what it's worth, all i can add to this is that the canadiens played well, on the whole, tonight...

they kept up with the hurricanes and at times totally dominated them...

a couple of things knocked them down tonight...

1) williams... he seems to play well against the canadiens on a regular basis... no different tonight...

2) ward... he was hot tonight - played above average... seems to play well against the canadiens too...

other than that, our guys got lots of good chances but they were all stopped... happens...

next up? ottawa... won't be easy again...

GO :hlogo: GO!

I agree.

Even though we lost I am still fairly happy. The effort was great, Abby was fantastic and Higgins was actually driving hard to the net. He had some stellar chances and if he continues to drive the net he will start scoring again.

I was begining to think that Higgins had Zednick syndrome. Get's hurt then looses the "moxy" (thanks Pierre) to drive the net.

D'oh, that sucked.

Ironically, am I the only 1 who couldnt help wonder if the 2 missed chances by Striet right up close would have been goals if only it had been Sammy instead? :P

I think you are. Sammy wouldn't be 'right up close' to begin with.

ah, there we go... someone finally said it politely. :)

by the way, does anyone know when Markov'll be back?

Actually, I would place money on the fact that management probably told Koivu to *cool* his banging and crashing style because that's what led to all his injury problems. The fact that he's starting to do it more and more the last couple of games is more a leadership issue in trying to get the rest of the team going rather than anything else. When the *rest* of the team was banging and crashing, it made tons more space for Koivu and Kovalev, and since it's stopped, they don't have any space anymore.

no no .. I don't want it to just be Koivu :o .. the whole team needs to get back to basics. Skating hard for 60 minutes ... banging and crashing ... dump and chase. bang the other teams D to get them to turn it over ... and quality shots ! you know 5 on 5 stuff ;)

I also still believe this team is missing one key ingredent from being a legitimat threat ... a #1 center ! Unfortunatly they don't grow on trees. I like Koivu .. but he's more fit to be a 2nd line center than a 1st. The rest of the "core" of the team might need to be moved ... BG needs to try to go after the Marleau's and Doan's when free agency hits this summer. Or go after Forsberg this season if he's serious about taking a run.

I think you are. Sammy wouldn't be 'right up close' to begin with.

Umm, just because Sammy isnt the type of player who will camp out in front of the other teams goalie doesnt mean that he never goes near the net. :rolleyes:

Sammy scores quite a few goals when he sneaks in up close to the net. When the other teams D starts looking around for where their oppositions 5th player on the ice is when Sammy scores the majority of his goals. Sammy scores quite a few goals in areas where he stereotypically shouldnt be. :P

Dont forget that Sammy is fairly small and very fast. A lot of D's look over their shoulder and see nobody there, but when they look back a second later theres Sammy.

no no .. I don't want it to just be Koivu :o .. the whole team needs to get back to basics. Skating hard for 60 minutes ... banging and crashing ... dump and chase. bang the other teams D to get them to turn it over ... and quality shots ! you know 5 on 5 stuff ;)

I also still believe this team is missing one key ingredent from being a legitimat threat ... a #1 center ! Unfortunatly they don't grow on trees. I like Koivu .. but he's more fit to be a 2nd line center than a 1st. The rest of the "core" of the team might need to be moved ... BG needs to try to go after the Marleau's and Doan's when free agency hits this summer. Or go after Forsberg this season if he's serious about taking a run.

Doan will be UFA but not Marleau. Gotta wait another year... http://www.nhlnumbers.com/

Umm, just because Sammy isnt the type of player who will camp out in front of the other teams goalie doesnt mean that he never goes near the net. :rolleyes:

Sammy scores quite a few goals when he sneaks in up close to the net. When the other teams D starts looking around for where their oppositions 5th player on the ice is when Sammy scores the majority of his goals. Sammy scores quite a few goals in areas where he stereotypically shouldnt be. :P

Dont forget that Sammy is fairly small and very fast. A lot of D's look over their shoulder and see nobody there, but when they look back a second later theres Sammy.

Okay... forgive me if I'm not yet acqainted with exactly how Samsonov scores his goals. ;)