Would you trade Souray?

BCHabnut

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i love the guy, but sadly i think he has to go.

best year ever = highest value ever (arguably).

will be very tough to re-sign (and even if we did, we'd be paying too much).

we're not going deep in playoffs (if we make it at all).

prone to serious injuries.

if we're going to lose him, please don't lose him to UFA. i will miss his toughness even more than his slapper

Never!!!!!!

Souray is to valuable to this team. Everyone says we have no shot to resign him. I disagree, if we trade him we have no shot to resign him. If we keep him, at least we have a chance. I think that Souray adds way to much to this team. He is the first player to stick up for any teamate on the ice. He is an offensive threat on the ice, every team we play against knows where he is at all times. I have seen him make some good defensive plays, which never get mentioned. No player wants to skate into the zone against him, If they don't beat him, they know they are going to get hit hard. He is a great leader for this team. Losing him would cause this team to further fall apart(if that is possible). I do agree that he is not worth the money, but are any of these guys worth the money. These guys all get paid millions to play a sport they love. A career which most people dream of, not just for the money either. The current market sets the price he is worth but to replece him, we will have to spend the same on someone else, since it doesn' seem that any prospects will be ready. People say he wants to be closer to his daughter, but just because he is closer, doesn't automatically mean that he will see her more. He may only have certain visitation times. Also from what I read earlier in the season, he had worked out a good schedule to be with her. All in all, these are just my opinions, but the way I see it, he playes hard every night(I never have read any say he takes nights off), Plays with passion, for the game and the Habs, he likes playing in Montreal. Even though he may not be the best player in the league, I feel that this team needs more players like Souray, not get rid of one that brings this much to our team every night.

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Valuable in what sense? He'll lead this team to 10th? If he wanted to stay in Montreal he would have signed a contract. If someone really wants to stay somewhere they renegotiate their contract so as not to leave management in a pickle come the end of the season. It is very obvious he will test the market and would be a crackhead not to at this point, so the only logical move for BG to do is trade him now and get something for him, because there is no way in hell he will be returning to Montreal if he tests the market. He will go for over $6 million because there are many foolish teams out there that are willing to pay it, thankfully Montreal is not one of them. Get whatever you can for him now, instead of losing him for nothing in the summer, this team is not going anywhere in the playoffs, if they even make it to them, they will be wiped out in the first round.

I'd talk to Souray first and find out what he envisioned his future to be. If he plans on moving to Cali, and we aren't doing too well before the deadline, I'd move him. A good young prospect offensive center or D-man could make all the difference next season.

Souray + 1st rounder + mid-prospect (or Ryder) = 1st line center that we desparately need

so.....yes trade him

Managers looking for Souray are most likely going to be those who think their team is in a position to make a serious playoff run. Not ones who are hanging around on the fringe.

Why - because of exactly the reason everyone seems to suggest that the Canadiens unload him... free agency!

And teams figuring they have a legitimate shot are not likely going to be giving up a first line player, especially their # 1 centre. And they won't be sending a good young defenseman back unless they've given up on him.

Souray at best will go for prospects and that is almost always a risk - will they or won't they play for us. They draft choices included won't be early draft picks - at best 20th overall and above. And if they end up playing in the NHL the question is when - in 5 years? Not exactly what this team needs...

So Souray as it currently stands for a first line centre in any kind of deal is highly unlikely in this version of the NHL - we aren't talking about the good old days of Sam Pollock here!

not the same player its matt carle not mathieu carle

I know that !!

kind of ironic that we got our carle from a san jose pick( trade to move from 20th to 16 spot last year)

San Jose would probably be the best fit. Anaheim has Niedermeyer and Pronger. How bout Souray for Vlasik and Carle and a 1st rounder. How bout Markov to penguins for Ouellet Letang and a first rounder?

Why in the blue blazes would they trade that for a couple months of Souray?????

You wouldn't get Carle for Souray straight up...let alone Vlasik AND a 1st rounder...

For the record I think we should deal Souray...and even try to resign him in the off-season if the cost makes sense. However, as is widely speculated, he's looking to move out west...and I think there is enough smoke around this rumour that there has to be a fire. The team needs to get something for him and while I think the market is good enough to get a good return I don't think Souray, as a UFA, will command much more then 1 prospect and/or a mid-tier prospect and a good draft pick. I know Philly wants the world for Foppa but Souray isn't even close to being in the same class of player, even for his position...

San Jose would probably be the best fit. Anaheim has Niedermeyer and Pronger. How bout Souray for Vlasik and Carle and a 1st rounder. How bout Markov to penguins for Ouellet Letang and a first rounder?

Wow, guy step back and read these trades before you post them. Souray isn't the second coming of Pronger, yeesh.

NHL 2007... yikes :rolleyes::wacko::unsure:

Can I talk to you about selling the family farm for a mansion in Beverly Hills.

Who cares if Souray wants to come back. I don't want him back.

Souray is a great player for us right now at 2 MIllion a year.

But he is going to cost us at least what McCabe got, so if you want to wrap up 5.5-6 Million a year for a 1 dimensional defenseman we are doomed to battle for the 8th spot every year.

Look at our Cap situation for next season.

Signed:

Koivu - 4,750,000

Kovalev - 4,500,000

Samsonov - 3,525,000

Huet - 2,750,000

Boulion - 1,875,000

Dandenault - 1,750,000

Latendresse - 850,000

Begin - 1,300,000

Streit - 600,000

Murray - 625,000

Lapierre - 563,000

----------------------------

Total (11 Players) - $23,088,000

Restricted players:

Ryder - 2,200,000

Komisarek - 947,000

Higgins - 673,000

Perezhogin - 627,000

Plekanec - 450,000

-------------------------------

Total (5 players) - 4,897,000 with 10% 5,386,700

None of these players have had a season worthy of a raise but lets give them a 10% mark up.

Probably call ups in 2007:

Kostitsyn - 612,000

Halak - 500,000

--------------------------------

Total (2 players) - 1,112,000

Players we must resign:

Markov - 4,000,000

Total (1 players) - 4,000,000

That would put us at $33,586,000. With the Cap going up to a rumoured 46 Million that would leave us almost 14 Million to spend on 3 to 5 players.

To spend almost 6 million on Souray would be foolhardy, it would leave us with the core of a 6-8 seed again.

If Chips or Grabovksy steal a spot that leaves a ton of money to go after a Briere or do what Minnesota did last year and trade for a Demitra type player. If we can work Bonk and Johnson in at a good price, say 1.5 - 2 million a year it still leaves us with money for an impact player.

So as much as I love Souray, if we cannot pull it together in the next week I will be more than happy with sending him on his way. As much as we were fooled into thinking we were contenders this year, we will not be banging on Stanley's door until Lats/Higgins/Kosty/Komi are ready for primetime. If they are not...Welcome to Hell.

Who cares if Souray wants to come back. I don't want him back.

Souray is a great player for us right now at 2 MIllion a year.

But he is going to cost us at least what McCabe got, so if you want to wrap up 5.5-6 Million a year for a 1 dimensional defenseman we are doomed to battle for the 8th spot every year.

Signed:

Koivu - 4,750,000

Kovalev - 4,500,000

Samsonov - 3,525,000

Huet - 2,750,000

Boulion - 1,875,000

Dandenault - 1,750,000

Latendresse - 850,000

Begin - 1,300,000

Streit - 600,000

Murray - 625,000

Lapierre - 563,000

----------------------------

Total (11 Players) - $23,088,000

Restricted players:

Ryder - 2,200,000

Komisarek - 947,000

Higgins - 673,000

Perezhogin - 627,000

Plekanec - 450,000

-------------------------------

Total (5 players) - 4,897,000 with 10% 5,386,700

None of these players have had a season worthy of a raise but lets give them a 10% mark up.

Kostitsyn - 612,000

Halak - 500,000

Players we must resign:

Markov - 4,000,000

That would put us at $33,586,000. With the Cap going up to a rumoured 46 Million that would leave us almost 14 Million to spend on 3 to 5 players.

To spend almost 6 million on Souray would be foolhardy, it would leave us with the core of a 6-8 seed again.

If Chips or Grabovksy steal a spot that leaves a ton of money to go after a Briere or do what Minnesota did last year and trade for a Demitra type player. If we can work Bonk and Johnson in at a good price, say 1.5 - 2 million a year it still leaves us with money for an impact player.

So as much as I love Souray, if we cannot pull it together in the next week I will be more than happy with sending him on his way. As much as we were fooled into thinking we were contenders this year, we will not be banging on Stanley's door until Lats/Higgins/Kosty/Komi are ready for primetime. If they are not...Welcome to Hell.

Have to say that Plekanec has earned a raise in pay - right now from what I can see he's the only one pulling his weight night in and night out. As for the rest of this bunch = status quo.

I think Chipchura is on the doorstep, and you might see Grabovsky make the grade next year? Obviously that's not cut in stone, but a possibility...

As for goaltending, unless one of these guys grabs the ball and runs with it down the stretch, then it will be an interesting time come training camp?

Souray is expendable, but the reality is that he will command a high salary regardless of whether people like it or not. That is the going rate for that type of player - it was established when the Leafs coughed it up for McCabe. Regardless of who he signs with he will get the current market value based on that ridiculous precedent? Learn to live with it people!

Edited by beliveau1

Kostitsyn - 612,000

Halak - 500,000

Players we must resign:

Markov - 4,000,000

Be careful of how you calculate the call-ups...their salary does not count against the cap in that manner if they are called up late in the season.

If we don't resign Souray or Rivet(he is UFA isn't he??), then we need 2 more D-men. Plus I think we need to let Bonk walk, move Pleks to 3rd line C and sign a legit 2nd line C. We need a minimum of 3 signings, possibly 4. I think we have the depth to sign only 2 very good d-men and 1 very good C...average pay of 4.7 million each so that should be 3 high level guys.

I think if we dealt Souray for the best available offer we might even get one of those potential off-season holes covered for less $$$ then that average and we could spend more on the other 2 FA's we'd need to fill out the roster with some talent.

I would Souray trade suddenly, perhaps with Kovalev for a very good forward who scores at least 30 goals in a season. I don't think that the habs have a realistic change to win the cup this year, and if Souray will leave us anyway in the summer, why should he stay all the season?

Why in the blue blazes would they trade that for a couple months of Souray?????

You wouldn't get Carle for Souray straight up...let alone Vlasik AND a 1st rounder...

For the record I think we should deal Souray...and even try to resign him in the off-season if the cost makes sense. However, as is widely speculated, he's looking to move out west...and I think there is enough smoke around this rumour that there has to be a fire. The team needs to get something for him and while I think the market is good enough to get a good return I don't think Souray, as a UFA, will command much more then 1 prospect and/or a mid-tier prospect and a good draft pick. I know Philly wants the world for Foppa but Souray isn't even close to being in the same class of player, even for his position...

Excuse me, San Jose has as good a chance as any team to win the Cup. Imagine Souray being fed by Thornton. They may be that one player away

I am just looking at the market out there. Nashville got Forsberg for 2 months I do believe and look what they gave up. Forsberg was a great player but he has either been injured or ineffective this year. Even last year with Philly Forsberg led them no where against Buffalo. Souray is at the top of his game all year. Tell me which Dman in the league has his stats???

Wow, guy step back and read these trades before you post them. Souray isn't the second coming of Pronger, yeesh.

All he needs to be is the missing link to winning the CUP.

Excuse me, San Jose has as good a chance as any team to win the Cup. Imagine Souray being fed by Thornton. They may be that one player away

I am just looking at the market out there. Nashville got Forsberg for 2 months I do believe and look what they gave up. Forsberg was a great player but he has either been injured or ineffective this year. Even last year with Philly Forsberg led them no where against Buffalo. Souray is at the top of his game all year. Tell me which Dman in the league has his stats???

All he needs to be is the missing link to winning the CUP.

Yes he might be a piece to the puzzle for some team on the cusp - that isn't the problem with your post. The problem is your suggested return for a guy like Souray. It probably isn't a realistic yield for a guy like this when you consider the fact that the buyer might not have him beyond the spring of 2007.

I could be wrong as to how much he is worth, but that's a lot to pay for Souray. If he had a year left on his contract then it might happen along those lines, but that kind of a deal would surprize me.....

However I would love to be surprized! :o:rolleyes::clap:

Edited by beliveau1

Nick Lidstrom has 3 Points more than him and is a +38 (Souray -13). And also Scott Niedermayer has as many points as Souray and is +7

Souray is probably a top 10 defenseman in this league. His minus numbers reflect the team as much as Souray.