Wow

rafikz

1. Neil's hit was a typical "clean" hit. It's just like so many that Stevens became famous for. Hitting a guy after he gets rid of the puck and isn't looking for contact, since he no longer has the puck. In my opinion you should be penalized for hitting a guy without the puck, unless you can't avoid the hit. (Similar to roughing the passer in football, though the NFL takes protection to an extreme.)

2. Drury is as much at fault as Neil. You can't just watch your shot and put your head down and assume nobody is gonna hit you. He's also an example of why people are idiots for not tightening their helmet strap correctly.

3. I applaud Ruff for sending the message that you don't mess with his best players. This is what fighting in the NHL is for. When people mess with you, you retaliate and stand up for your teammates. I laugh at Murray for being dumb enough to send on a talent line after that hit.

Agreed ... I just can't believe how nieve B.Murray was about the whole thing ... he should have known .. clean or not that the Neil hit on the CAPTIAN would lead to retaliation. He was dumb and sent out his best players to get slaughtered ( although they didn't do too bad ) Buffalo had last change and when Murray sent out Spezza and Heatley ... Ruff said screw you, get out there goons.

Agreed ... I just can't believe how nieve B.Murray was about the whole thing ... he should have known .. clean or not that the Neil hit on the CAPTIAN would lead to retaliation. He was dumb and sent out his best players to get slaughtered ( although they didn't do too bad ) Buffalo had last change and when Murray sent out Spezza and Heatley ... Ruff said screw you, get out there goons.

Reminds me of teh dirty hit that guy did on koivu against the pens. I don't care if there's no elbows, headhunting a guy who is tied up with another player or when he doesnt have the puck is cheap as hell. Someone is going to get killed eventually with assholes like neil and jordan tutu running around, I cant believe people think its good that he is so "tough" and stirs shit up when all they are is marginal talents who pick fights and lay out cheap hits.

the fight was the greatest thing ever.

agreed....right after it happened, I went onto capitaltickets.ca to try and get tix for the Saturday night game...but they only had singles left. If they'd had a pair available, I would definitely have gone to that game. Will be watching on TV for sure though...this ought to be good. McGrattan vs. Peters is a lock.

That doesn't give Ruff's goons the right to go after guys like Spezza or Heatley though. It was Neil who hit their guy, not Heatley.

Thats the silliest thing I've heard in a while. :lol:

When a 3rd or 4th line nobody takes out your best player, your dont set a precidence by taking out the 3rd or 4th line nobody responsible. Get revenge by doing in kind to your best to their best.

Was a crazy game, will be interesting to see pt 2.

I wouldnt compare Pens Colby Moore's hit on Koivu with Neil's hit though. The Koivu hit was clean by means of that it wasnt and elbow or high hit (Koivu was bent over). However the Koivu hit was charging!! Neil's hit was totaly legal by all means. Although it was technically clean, it sure as hell was dirty. Any deliberate hit directly to the head of any teams top player is dirty. It's an attempt to injure and that has to stop, especially when its career 4th line nobodies doing it to top players. :puke:

I just was the hit again and I really think that it was cheap. neil took aim after drury left the puck. anyhow, thats the name of the game and it'll make tonight's interesting.

now here's one who wishes they'll be in the playoffs !!

I remember Roy tried to drop the gloves with a positional player, but I can't remember exactly who it was. Maybe Jets remembers?

I remember, it was Rob Ray who fought Roy. All 5 Habs players on the ice came to Roys defense. Ironically Ray was actually in between the 2 benches during the Ott Buff game. :lol:

I just watched the recent clip on You Tube, and I'm still confused as to how Peters was able to latch onto Emery like that. What happened to the Sen Peters was originally fighting? And why did none of the Sens go to help their Goalie? I guess the Sens know Emery's boxing history, but it still looks really odd than none of them came to help him out.

Pretty dispicable having a teams tough guy go after the other teams goalie like that. In the other goalie player fights I have seen it was always more like the goalie starting the actual fight than the player. Obviously the player bumbed the goalie etc 1st, but the goalie was the 1 who initiated the fight unlike the Peters Emery fight where it was all Peters but Emery wasnt disinterested.

I remember, it was Rob Ray who fought Roy. All 5 Habs players on the ice came to Roys defense. Ironically Ray was actually in between the 2 benches during the Ott Buff game. :lol:

The one I'm talking about was near the end of his career when he was an Av. He basically dropped his gloves and beckoned at the guy, but I guess the other guy was too chicken-shit so nothing happened. :lol:

Thats the silliest thing I've heard in a while. :lol:

When a 3rd or 4th line nobody takes out your best player, your dont set a precidence by taking out the 3rd or 4th line nobody responsible. Get revenge by doing in kind to your best to their best.

Was a crazy game, will be interesting to see pt 2.

I wouldnt compare Pens Colby Moore's hit on Koivu with Neil's hit though. The Koivu hit was clean by means of that it wasnt and elbow or high hit (Koivu was bent over). However the Koivu hit was charging!! Neil's hit was totaly legal by all means. Although it was technically clean, it sure as hell was dirty. Any deliberate hit directly to the head of any teams top player is dirty. It's an attempt to injure and that has to stop, especially when its career 4th line nobodies doing it to top players. :puke:

To me the hit looked exactly like Kovalev's hit on tucker.

To me the hit looked exactly like Kovalev's hit on tucker.

Not at all. Kovalev was carrying the puck, Tucker tried to get in his way, and Kovalev plowed him over. It was legal because the hit involved the player with the puck. Drury had shot the puck a couple seconds before Neil plowed him late.

Sorry guys but I've never agreed with a coach sending out his goons to attack another teams skilled players. Even the goons don't want to do that...

While Drury is a nice all around player and their captain he's not even close to being their top skill guy and he's known for playing a grind it out game as much as he is for his clutch play.

Ruff was wrong here and he deserved a major suspension not a piddly fine that's the equivalent of a speeding ticket to a big salary. IMHO Ruff deserved to be suspended for at least 5 games...maybe more.

If you don't like Murray then that's fine...I don't think much of him either, BUT that's irrelevant to the situation. The fact is simple, Neil's hit was within the rules of the game and Ruff sent out his goons to go after a NUMBER of Ottawa's skilled players, not to mention having a tough guy take on a goalie. I don't care how tough Emery thinks he is on the ice, if I was Murray I would have sent my entire team over the boards rather then watch a tough guy fight my #1 goalie and my top skill players fighting Buffalo's goon squad.

Now, I've read a number of these posts and I believe players need to police themselves too but this went beyond the codes of the game. Ruff is a moron...all he had to do was look at the bloody big screen above the ice and he'd see the hit was technically "clean". His ONLY response should have been to have his guys play as hard and have Peters go after Neil...the rest is BS.

Buffalo fans are willing to pay for Lindy's 10k fine.

I would be willing to chip in if it were the habs :P

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=28964...mp;service=page

I have to laugh...they showed a picture of the Senators Philips on the right but the guy they are refering to in the article owns a pizza shop.

The message was : hit Peters and we'll hit Neil, hit Drury, then we'll hit Heatley...

Agreed .

Ruff handled it exactly the way it needs to be.

Thats part of the reason he is seen as one of the leagues best coaches.