Better chemistry without Kovalev?

rafikz

This is just ridiculous.

Having Kovalev in the lineup makes the habs BETTER got it?

He's 4th in the team in scoring. He was playing INJURED for the habs.

He SWITCHED positions to center FOR the team.

He has always said he believes in this team and that we will win the cup.

He hasnt even complained about the fact that he was playing with 2 3rd line players most of the season.

But I guess those stupid fans cant sleep tight at night without bashing Kovalev every day even when hes out of the lineup.

Oh by the way where was this "CHEMISTRY" without Kovalev the first 3 games he was out? Losing pathetically 1-0 to Florida?

Kovalev has a bad temper? Sure.. I'd get pissed too if someone tries to take my freakin knees off when I've had surgery on it twice in my life AND I am the one who gets the penalty.

All that matters to me is 4th on the team in scoring. Plus hes injured and playing with two 3rd liners... what more can you expect?

He switched positions FOR the team for gods sake. If there were no centers how come Pleks is centering the 2nd line now?

Thats bullshit. Are you in the locker room? NO! So keep those feelings to yourself.

He wasnt giving orders to Lapierre. He just said he would like it if Lapierre went to the front of the net since Kovalev is always in the corners. By the way playing Lapierre with Kovalev furthers proves my point that he hasnt been given a linemate close to his talent level this year.

:clap: Shut up those who say Kovalev has bad influence in the locker room. Don't act as you were Pierre Gervais...

Better chemistry without Huet since he is gone the players are playing much more like a team :wacko:

We are better of without Bégin and Higgins too.

Can't have enough of those guys out of the line up. We are much more of a team wothout them.

GREAT POST.

:clap:

Lame thread. We are winning and still whining. I bet we will have made at least one trade when Kovy comes back so we dont know how the team looks at that time. I think us playing this good now will make Kovy want to come back quicker becaus I bet its really fun to be on a winning team.

Coincidental. Kovalev out of the lineup isn't the reason Montreal has won their last three games. I just pray that Carbonneau doesn't do the obvious (in his mind) and play Samsonov-Plekanec-Kovalev upon his return. Sammy and Kovalev needed to NOT play on the same line. Unfortunately, I see that happening.

The big difference the past few games is that the seconday scoring is still there, and the guys that are supposed to lead this team are finally producing again after prolonged slumps. Sammy has been playing hard and hopefully getting a few points will really start to get him going.

I don't think we're a better team without Kovalev, not by a longshot.

But it's also true that often during slumps like the one we just had, players look for (super)stars/marquee players for inspiration and leadership. I will say this: I think the timing of his injury helped get other guys in the locker room to realise they need to snap out of whatever funk they were in and collectively make up for the absence of Kovy (and others). Granted, in the long run things settle and emotion cannot make up for missing bodies or inadequate skill (if memory serves me right we'd won like 5 in a row after the Roy trade), and this is when we'll need Kovy back, healthy and (hopefully) motivated for the playoffs, where he's at his most dangerous.

Another thing.... I didn't see last night's game, but it seems to me that most of this newfound "momentum" is more related to the team finally having some confidence in their goalie than anything else. Which still doesn't mean that Huet's injury was a "blessing in disguise" either, in fact pray that he's recovered for the playoffs, if we even get there. Lots of work to be done, 3 game winning/losing streaks are a dime a dozen in the new NHL.

someone said the tv feed showed Kovy congratulating the other players after the win in Nashville, maybe watching from the sidelines will help, hope he comes back with real passion. Guys like Kovy can be expected to coast a bit, also isn't it possible that hockey smarts regarding positioning can make a player appear lazy because he's not chasing the puck all over the place, my two cents don't actually get to watch a whole lot of games here . . .

Go Habs Go!!!

That's a very good point. Lafleur used look like he was doing absolutely nothing out there. Then he would fly down the wing and blast the puck in the net.

All we need from Kovy now is the fly down the wing and blast the puck in the net part.

Coincidental. Kovalev out of the lineup isn't the reason Montreal has won their last three games. I just pray that Carbonneau doesn't do the obvious (in his mind) and play Samsonov-Plekanec-Kovalev upon his return. Sammy and Kovalev needed to NOT play on the same line. Unfortunately, I see that happening.

The big difference the past few games is that the seconday scoring is still there, and the guys that are supposed to lead this team are finally producing again after prolonged slumps. Sammy has been playing hard and hopefully getting a few points will really start to get him going.

So when Kovy returns where will Sammy play? As long as the 1st line is clicking with Koivu, Ryder, and Higgins he can't play there. If he can't play on the 2nd, he has to play with Bonk on the 3rd.

That's a very good point. Lafleur used look like he was doing absolutely nothing out there. Then he would fly down the wing and blast the puck in the net.

All we need from Kovy now is the fly down the wing and blast the puck in the net part.

So when Kovy returns where will Sammy play? As long as the 1st line is clicking with Koivu, Ryder, and Higgins he can't play there. If he can't play on the 2nd, he has to play with Bonk on the 3rd.

I would have no problem with Kovalev on the third line. As long as he played the full 2 minutes on the power play.

Like I've said many times, it's a good thing CERTAIN Habs fans are not car sales people.

"Oh yes sir, I see you like that car. Let me tell you what stinks about it"

So what your saying is lieing and being delusional are desireable traits?

Sorry I am honest and tell it how I see it, it's part of my job. Nothing improves when you sugarcoat the situation.

So what your saying is lieing and being delusional are desireable traits?

Sorry I am honest and tell it how I see it, it's part of my job. Nothing improves when you sugarcoat the situation.

How exactly is "lieing and being delusional" referring to the Canadiens and certain players? Bob signed him. Is Bob delusional?

No OSM, I don't want your car :D

How exactly is "lieing and being delusional" referring to the Canadiens and certain players? Bob signed him. Is Bob delusional?

No OSM, I don't want your car :D

Well you are saying that being critical and recognizing fault isn't something that one should do. And his name is "Bob" not "God", he has made some good moves (of which he is taking full credit where others were most likely more responsible) and some poor moves (that you seem to gloss over and brush off).

Hey I bet if I turn the radio up nice and loud so you don't hear that clunking you'd want it. :lol:

Well you are saying that being critical and recognizing fault isn't something that one should do. And his name is "Bob" not "God", he has made some good moves (of which he is taking full credit where others were most likely more responsible) and some poor moves (that you seem to gloss over and brush off).

Hey I bet if I turn the radio up nice and loud so you don't hear that clunking you'd want it. :lol:

Bob Gainey's biggest asset to this team is the amount of respect he commands around the league.

THe Habs had become a laughingstock before he took over.

I wish that Montreal could have acquired one of these Super GMs that exist in the NHL today. The ones who only sign the perfect players, the ones who make perfect trades and the ones that draft the perfect prospects.

You know how many active GMs have won the Stanley Cup as a GM?

Feaster/Rutherford/Lamierello/Holland/GAINEY/Sather

Hey wait a minute? We have one of those

Gainey inherited some good young prospects from Andre Savard, and they have drafted some more talented prospects with the help of Trevor Timmons. He has stayed patient with our youth and it is slowly starting to pay off. He picked up Kovalev for Josef Balej and stole Bonk and Huet for Garon. He corrected a brutal mistake by dealing Theodore's albatross of a salary for an expiring salary.

He took over the Habs in May 2003 and has yet to miss the playoffs. Following 1 playoff appearance in the previous 5 years. THis team has a top 5 minor league system and is battling for a playoff spot again with a bright outlook to the future.

What exactly are the expectations of this guy? And people wonder why the hell nobody wants to play in Montreal :?-

I give you credit OSM. When you throw your mud (as we all do) as a poster you are polite about it.

Cheers

I just got tired of being banned. :lol:

Gainey inherited some good young prospects from Andre Savard, and they have drafted some more talented prospects with the help of Trevor Timmons. He has stayed patient with our youth and it is slowly starting to pay off. He picked up Kovalev for Josef Balej and stole Bonk and Huet for Garon. He corrected a brutal mistake by dealing Theodore's albatross of a salary for an expiring salary.

He took over the Habs in May 2003 and has yet to miss the playoffs. Following 1 playoff appearance in the previous 5 years. THis team has a top 5 minor league system and is battling for a playoff spot again with a bright outlook to the future.

What exactly are the expectations of this guy? And people wonder why the hell nobody wants to play in Montreal :?-

Yes he is a good GM but lets not act like he is infallable. I have read he never even heard of Huet when we got him, yet 100% credit goes to him. Trading Theo was a miracle and getting Kovalev was a good move too. But looking at Niinima and Samsonov, they might wind up to be good moves but right now they aren't worth the money they get.

I just got tired of being banned. :lol:

Yes he is a good GM but lets not act like he is infallable. I have read he never even heard of Huet when we got him, yet 100% credit goes to him. Trading Theo was a miracle and getting Kovalev was a good move too. But looking at Niinima and Samsonov, they might wind up to be good moves but right now they aren't worth the money they get.

Gainey knew that Huet was a NHL capabale goalie he did not know that he was going to become an NHL ALL STAR but thats okay. Huet was scouted and Gainey believed he would be a perfect back-up because of his preformance in LA and Europe.

Niinimaa and Samsonov your are correct about they are not earning thier money yet but there is still time. If the come out strong in thier chances down the stretch and in the playoffs it will more than make up for thier terrible starts.

Gainey knew that Huet was a NHL capabale goalie he did not know that he was going to become an NHL ALL STAR but thats okay. Huet was scouted and Gainey believed he would be a perfect back-up because of his preformance in LA and Europe.

This is what I am talking about, he gets credit for this move yet was he really the one responsible or was it a talented scout? Sure you could then say "well Gainey is smart to emply that scout" but still I wouldn't give him all the credit. I don't think Huets performance in LA impressed that many people.

This is what I am talking about, he gets credit for this move yet was he really the one responsible or was it a talented scout? Sure you could then say "well Gainey is smart to emply that scout" but still I wouldn't give him all the credit. I don't think Huets performance in LA impressed that many people.

Actually he did impress around the league when Roman Chechmanek went down he ran with the ball for a while.

But for a GM are you not only as smart as the people you surround yourself with. I credit Gainey for having the correct staff making the correct suggestions. Also remember he is the one with the last word.

What GM is infallable?

Lamierello is bending cap rules all over the place because of poor free agent signings last year. Holland signed Cujo and Hasek at the same time and then had to cut Cujo free and go back and get Hasek. Feaster has not replaced Khabibulin and has had goaltending problems ever since. Lacroix got burned by acquiring Theo. There are no perfect GMs.

Ninimaa is off the books this year. I don't view that as a big mistake. What Gainey should have done was not sign Ribiero in the first place, then he would not have had to take on Ninimaa.

Samsonov is also off the books next year. The only expensive long term deals they are locked into are Kovalev and Koivu. The new NHL is about cheap talent that performs above what they make.

This team is set up to make a big impact if the youth begins to mature.

Gainey did not spend like a drunken sailor like alot of GMs and signed short term deals. Even with Samsonov stinking the joint out it was a 2 year deal. Not a 4-5 year albatross.

We have cap flexibility, and that is more important than anything in the new NHL.

They have 22 Million invested in 10 players next year. They have 5 million more to re-up for next season for 5 Restricted Free Agents. So that is 27 Million on 15 players. So that leaves almost 20 million for 7-9 players.

If Lapierre, Halak, Kostitsyn and Milroy make the team then they that leaves around 15 million for 3-5 players. So they have more than enough money to re-up both Souray and Markov or they could let Souray walk. Either way Gainey's legacy will be defined on how much of an impact our youth makes in the next couple of years.

Gainey keeps his cards close to his vest and knows what he is doing.

If you listen to the fans, soon you will be sitting with them.

Edited by Wamsley01

Man we lack offense! Many blame Kovalev's dedication to the game, but IMO we need him so much to be competitive... That guy made 65 pts in 69 games last year, playing with an injuried knee for months!

We're 3-4-0 since his elbow injury, including 2 wins against weak teams (columbus ans Washington)