Sheldon Souray Poll

ch_nl

Sheldon Souray will be on his way to...  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Tomorrow by noon when Sheldon packs his bags, he will go to

• Anaheim and the Duck to be their 3rd defenceman.
    • Los Angeles Kings, just to play Golf
    • San Jose and Rivet?
    • Other Western team?
    • Canadiens practice?
    • Eastern Conference Rival?

Souray could walk away at the end of the season...and we'd have nothing...but a stanely cup ring!

Thats right! I'm calling it..if we keep Souray we will win the stanely cup!!

We wont get a top centre back from the Souray trade...the only teams interested in him are contenders...they wont trade us a #1 liner for Souray...keep dreaming, and have a little faith.

No not a top center but an amazing prospective center that could be a top center next year. Yes the habs played good last night, better then they have in months and we still barely won by 1. Huet is out indefinitly I hear and without him we are running on rookies and a career backup at best.

Wake up people!

Edited by OneSharpMarble

Sourays value is high right now, higher then it ever has been or ever will be again. WE AREN'T DOING ANYTHING THIS SEASON CUP WISE. You should really push that though your brain, without Huet and an offense that takes weeks off this team is a pushover. He will command a huge salary next season (probably 5 million) and he is not worth it, his defensive capabilities are poor at best.

If we make a smart move the guy we get will not underachieve, we could get another "markov in training" for souray right now along with picks. Or Souray could net us a great forward, the possibilities are endless. Relying on your PP will not get you far, teams will adapt and you lose. Our 5 on 5 is more important and we should fix that.

When he walks away for nothing what will we have then huh?

I edited your post to make you sound more rational and not such a spazz.

Ummmmm....O.K Gainey! Maby you should be behind the desk. .........you'll see!

i think if souray doesn't sign back with the habs then gainey should lose his job... plain and simple.

Souray's market value was huge... unless he didn't get what he wanted... we may never know... but if souray is gone via free agency the summer and we got f - all to show for it .. than that is terrible.

If Bon won't pick up that second line center then why hasn't he dealt Souray by now?

Souray and Aebischer gone soon for someone like Brendan Morrison?

I don't think a playoff team was about to offer a roster player, and certainly not one of Morrison's calibre, for a UFA-to-be. If an irresistible offer was made, Bob would have taken it. Apparently, none was.

i think if souray doesn't sign back with the habs then gainey should lose his job... plain and simple.

Souray's market value was huge... unless he didn't get what he wanted... we may never know... but if souray is gone via free agency the summer and we got f - all to show for it .. than that is terrible.

Either we can resign him, or we get back valuable cap space to sign someone else. If there wasn't an offer for someone Bob wanted, why do a deal just to get 'something'?

If there wasn't an offer for someone Bob wanted, why do a deal just to get 'something'?

I'm glad that Bob kept Souray and that he didn't raise the white flag on this season (which is exactly what trading Souray would have been). However, to play devil's advocate:

Bob could have used the a good prospect and first round pick he'd have gotten for Souray as part of the package you'd need to land that much needed center in the offseason. That center problem isn't going to go away...a move will have to be made before next season starts.

I'm glad that Bob kept Souray and that he didn't raise the white flag on this season (which is exactly what trading Souray would have been). However, to play devil's advocate:

Bob could have used the a good prospect and first round pick he'd have gotten for Souray as part of the package you'd need to land that much needed center in the offseason. That center problem isn't going to go away...a move will have to be made before next season starts.

Problem is Souray will likely go away next season

any news? was it true?

Yes, please update us with any news. There was a news article by Pat Hicky on Souray in today's Gazette ['Unfinished business' for Souray]. In the last part of it, the article mentioned that Souray's "estranged" wife is pregnant with his child, that is due in May. As much as I hope Souray wants to stay in Montreal, I can't help but think that if either L.A. or San Jose makes him a good offer after July 1 at 00:01, that he will sign with them.

Now, I don't blame Bob Gainey for not trading Souray before the deadline. For starters, there's been talk that the offers were not significant enough for him to move Souray. Also, I believe that the Habs could not make the playoffs without him this season, period.

Souray, the double-edged sword. People that go way back to the ESPN boards know I haven't been an ardent supporter of him. Personally, I don't think it's terribly difficult to set up someone for success like they have Souray. With the shot Dagenais had, they could have constantly fed him at the point to let him shoot. Is it possible other GMs know this? I say very likely. Just because the media portrays Souray as a one of a kind defenseman...doesn't mean it's so. The Habs PP has played better of late because they haven't simply focused on getting the puck to Souray every single time.

That said, sure, you could have reasonably expected Souray to fetch more than Rivet did. Probably a better roster player and still a first round pick. Would I have liked another first rounder? Of course. If/when Souray walks this summer, it'll suck, but oh well. Given the way everyone talks about it'll be a travesty if the Habs don't make the playoffs with Souray here...does that mean the Habs should've traded ALL of their UFA's in hopes of a return for next year. Dump Markov! Bonk, Johnson! Aebischer, Niinimaa! Heck, the Habs could have 7 first rounders this year!

Trade deadlines. Ha. No realistic Cup chances, no rental. I'm happy about that.

If Janne Niinimaa could equal a first round pick, I'd have a good and long laugh.

"No realistic Cup chances, no rental. I'm happy about that."

One thing to be happy about no rental, but how could any Habs fan possibly be happy with having no realistic Cup chances? If there's one thing that's really summed up the mediocrity of the Canadiens organization since 1993, it's that similar lack of pride.

If Janne Niinimaa could equal a first round pick, I'd have a good and long laugh.

"No realistic Cup chances, no rental. I'm happy about that."

One thing to be happy about no rental, but how could any Habs fan possibly be happy with having no realistic Cup chances? If there's one thing that's really summed up the mediocrity of the Canadiens organization since 1993, it's that similar lack of pride.

Obviously, I was kidding with Niinimaa. As far as winning the Cup, diehard fan or not, I would have to say most would agree that it isn't going to happen this year. My statement was that since the Habs don't have a realistic shot at the Cup, I'm happy they didn't acquire a rental player. Adding simply Guerin or Tkachuk wasn't going to put the Habs "over the top" this season. And trust me, I'm NOT thrilled that the Habs aren't in contention each and every year.

Yeah, I knew you were kidding re Janne.

But the mediocrity thing really gets me. It looks like Gainey and Carbonneau have their hearts in the right place, but the faithful are getting restless (and when have they not been) for the 25th.

If any move was to be made, it should have been when the team went into their tailspin; it was too late at the deadline and not worth making.