Habs just picked up someone off waivers

Habsterr

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay fair enough I thought that happend after the season but you could be correct.

Really I think it's the only way this makes sense.

Abby sucks, but nobody is comfortable with Leighton and Halak, nor with either of the young guys and Abby.

All 3 allows Carbo to try and find someone who gets hot and ride them. I think we see a 3 way goalie rotation for now, until someone can get hot.

I may be wrong but I wouldn't be comfortable if I was Carbo or Gainey any other way with any 2 of those 3.

Really I think it's the only way this makes sense.

Abby sucks, but nobody is comfortable with Leighton and Halak, nor with either of the young guys and Abby.

All 3 allows Carbo to try and find someone who gets hot and ride them. I think we see a 3 way goalie rotation for now, until someone can get hot.

I may be wrong but I wouldn't be comfortable if I was Carbo or Gainey any other way with any 2 of those 3.

Well Halak is 3-1 that is pretty nice and should he play and play well tonight I think he wil secure himself a few more starts.

Oh, and by the way, I was so wrong about Biron ; Sabres have traded him FOR A 1ST ROUND PICK TOO!!!!!

BOB WTF ?????????? :huh::huh:

Guerin had a not trade clause and was only waving it to go to a real contender. We're not one this year, period. Buffalo was not going to trade Biron to a team they might face in the first round. You can try this stuff on your playstation, but real life is slightly more complicated.

Sheesh.

You don't have to put a player you just claimed on waivers BACK on waivers before sending him to the minors. You'd have a vicious circle of waiver claims going.

Then what's the point of waivers ?? waviers is supposed to help players like leighton who have been in the league long enough to go to a team that can use him on they're NHL team ... what's the point of having a team lose a player they want to send to the minors only to have them taken by another team to be sent to they're minors.

Then what's the point of waivers ?? waviers is supposed to help players like leighton who have been in the league long enough to go to a team that can use him on they're NHL team ... what's the point of having a team lose a player they want to send to the minors only to have them taken by another team to be sent to they're minors.

COrrect or so I believe.

Another goalie. So the situation right now is that the Habs have five goaltenders with NHL experience. Yann Danis, Jaroslav Halak, David Aebischer, Cristoball Huet and Michael Leighton. And comming closer each day is Carey Price.

To me it seems like this move was made just to make another.

Aebischer or Halak? Aebischer is the number one and Halak the young one that should have a raised some interest latley...

Man the roster's getting pretty crowded. Somebody heading out? I just hope they're not giving up on Halak so fast. I'd rather see Abby waived, given the unbelievable sieve he has become. Looks like there's a fair bit riding on Halak's performace tonite.

Re: waivers- the whole point of the waiver wire is that if another team wants to keep a player in the NHL they can do so. It protects vets from being stocked in the minors and hidden from the cap unless nobody else wants them. It also gives vets a chance to stay in the league rather than get sent down from a super deep team. Thus I don't think you can grab a player and send him to your minor system without exposing him, but that's not always much of a problem. Patrick Traverse for instance.

If I understand things correctly, the waiver deadline is the same as the trade deadline. Meaning players cannot be placed on waivers after the deadline today. Player can still be sent to the minors and called up but if they require waivers first it can't be done.

So, Halak gets sent to the minors (no waivers) that leaves Abby, Leighton and Huet at some point.

Is there another trade coming? Are we going with 3 goalies in the playoffs? Or am I wrong about the waiver thing?

Leighton did really well in his first 2 games with the Flyers, stopping their longest (i think longest) losing streak in their history. Now they got Biron, they don't need Leighton. They still have Niitimaki

He may have played well in those 2 games, but then he gave up 3 goals in 12 shots against Toronto, in a little over 14 minutes. Then he sat out the next straight 4 games, and then played the Maple Leafs again. That time, he only gave up 5 goals on 30 shots for the whole game. That must have been enough for the Flyers to see to know they had to make a move to get Biron, who will be a good challenger for Niitymaki, who ultimately may be the better goalie.

Overall, I'm a little disappointed in this move, only because I had hoped that Halak would remain with the big club for the rest of the season. But, I do not mind Leighton as a goalie. I watched him play a number of games when he was in junior, and have seen him play well a couple of times in Chicago. However, this will be his fourth NHL team and he's only 25; to me he's just a stop-gap acquisition. For that reason, I still would rather have seen the Habs play Halak. Hopefully, Leighton won't be able to get to New York in time for tonight's game, and Halak will get one last chance to show what he can do before they send him down to Hamilton.

If I understand things correctly, the waiver deadline is the same as the trade deadline. Meaning players cannot be placed on waivers after the deadline today. Player can still be sent to the minors and called up but if they require waivers first it can't be done.

So, Halak gets sent to the minors (no waivers) that leaves Abby, Leighton and Huet at some point.

Is there another trade coming? Are we going with 3 goalies in the playoffs? Or am I wrong about the waiver thing?

well if Halak is sent down and Huet comes back .. by then Leighton will get put on waivers again before the playoffs start ... then either someone else will claim him or he'll be sent to the minors after that.

Man the roster's getting pretty crowded. Somebody heading out? I just hope they're not giving up on Halak so fast. I'd rather see Abby waived, given the unbelievable sieve he has become. Looks like there's a fair bit riding on Halak's performace tonite.

dont rosters get expanded after the deadline?

Well, I agree we needed a goalie, but it wasn't Leighton. They need a vet rental goalie like Belfour or Joseph. A guy who is calm in net and settles the team down.

Leighton is no better then having Halak.

As for rotating to find a hot one among the crap.. we don't have time. Every game is huge from now on and we need a goalie who can be relied on to at least be average to good most nights.

well if Halak is sent down and Huet comes back .. by then Leighton will get put on waivers again before the playoffs start ... then either someone else will claim him or he'll be sent to the minors after that.

What I'm saying is I don't think you can place players on waivers after 3pm today.

What I'm saying is I don't think you can place players on waivers after 3pm today.

I dont' believe there is a deadline for waivers ... it goes until the end of the season. that way teams can still send down players

I dont' believe there is a deadline for waivers ... it goes until the end of the season. that way teams can still send down players

TSN just said that this trade was made at the Waiver deadline, which was noon today, 3 hours before the trade deadline.

So.....

The point of waivers is for teams to pick up players that 1 team doesnt want anymore but another team does. The point isnt to just nab up any player and then assign him to your AHL team. If you try that, the original team you stole him from can steal him back. Thats not what waivers are for.

Habs can send Halak down and not have to clear waivers. Maybe Bob is considering putting Abby on waivers to see if anybody wants to pick up the rest of his salary. I highly beleive Abby is done in Montreal. I still cant figure out why Abby wasnt pulled against the Laffs. Carbo must be a closet masichist. :lol:

Michael was ejected from Norfolk's American Hockey League contest versus the Lowell Lock Monsters on December 11, 2004, for fighting with fellow goaltender Cam Ward.

I like him already. :D

Another goalie. So the situation right now is that the Habs have five goaltenders with NHL experience. Yann Danis, Jaroslav Halak, David Aebischer, Cristoball Huet and Michael Leighton. And comming closer each day is Carey Price.

To me it seems like this move was made just to make another.

Aebischer or Halak? Aebischer is the number one and Halak the young one that should have a raised some interest latley...

Huet - Injured

Danis - Injured (i believe)

Abby - Cold as ice

Halak - Rookie, not nhl ready

Leighton - Rookie aswell I believe

Price - 2 years away

Give Halak or Leighton the next couple starts, abby looked awful last night.

TSN just said that this trade was made at the Waiver deadline, which was noon today, 3 hours before the trade deadline.

So.....

what trade ? Leighton was placed on waivers yesterday ... and has 24 hours to be claimed .. that's the deadline they were talking about ... he was claimed by the habs before the 24 hour period.

and if they're was a deadline then I guess teams won't be able to send players to the minors ? only ones that wouldn't have to clear ? again then whats the point of having a waiver system. that means that Leighton & Garth Murray are stuck on the Habs NHL roster and can't be sent down for the rest of the year ??? doesn't make sense to me.

gotta love deadline day... 3 pages on a frickin waiver goalie. :)

and if they're was a deadline then I guess teams won't be able to send players to the minors ? only ones that wouldn't have to clear ? again then whats the point of having a waiver system. that means that Leighton & Garth Murray are stuck on the Habs NHL roster and can't be sent down for the rest of the year ??? doesn't make sense to me.

after the deadline a player does not need to pass through waivers to go down. Also I believe rosters expand, so there is not so much of a crunch that necessitates sending a guy down.

Edited by simonus

I still have faint hope that Gainey will grab a real goaltender for the stretch run. There are no real centers so the only place to improve the team is in the net right now.

Biron went for a 2nd rounder (although it is the 31st overall pick), so Belfour will be cheaper. 3rd round pick? Sounds like cheap insurance to me given how sucky the draft is.

Hahaha :lol: I feel so smart.. must be on the same wavelength as our GM. My brother and I were talking about Leighton a couple of hours ago. I told him we should pick him up..

:blink::lol:

Don't call me Nostradamus, because I'm not.

:lol:

In Bob I trust

:hlogo: