Have they learned anything?

rafikz

Unhappy Anniversary

With the third anniversary of Todd Bertuzzi's hit on Steve Moore coming up, another scary incident happened Thursday. Chris Simon was tossed from the Isles' 2-1 loss to the Rangers after hitting Ryan Hollweg in the face with his stick

nhl_g_hollweg_412.jpg

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=270308012

Edited by Fanpuck33

That was nuts I hope they punish the crime and not the intent.

Are you joking? :wacko: He ought to be suspended for the rest of this season and into next season. That act was every bit as dangerous as Bertuzzi's hit. The intent was to smash the guy's face in, you gotta punish that intent.

Actually the anniversary was yesterday, not coming up. Only reason I remember is that it was the same day as my Mom's birthday. Same as the day we got Jose.

March 8th sucks for Avs fans. And Chris was a big reason I wouldn't cheer for the Flames last year. Haven't actually seen the hit yet but I can just imagine what happened after reading about it.

I bet 5 games MAX and holloweg will get one just make things look even.

NHL sucks on that matter.

Looking over his career, if I were running things I'd suspend him for this season AND next season. Not only was this as bad as the McSorley and Bertuzzi incidents, Simon has a history of dirty play. He's been suspended at least 5 times in his career. He's had plenty of chances to clean up his act, and he doesn't even show any remorse. He was more worried about giving the Rangers a PP than he was about him trying to kill a guy.

Suspended indefinitely, sounds like a Bertuzzi suspension. If the Isles don't make it, which I doubt, he'll probably get a good chunk of next season too Fanpuck. Wouldn't be surprised in the least because you're right.

Although I'm still talking without seeing the hit, thanks for the link mathieu. Was searching youtube earlier but only found Simon stuff from his Calgary days. Everyone loved him here, boggled my mind.

EDIT: :angry::angry: Theres a reason I never liked him, that video just shows it. What a gutless coward. I think he got Hollweg right in the throat.

And the instigator rule takes another huge hit. If Simon had been allowed to drop his gloves he would have beaten the pulp out of Hollweg, but that would have been about it (assuming he was face-to-face with Hollweg, and didn't try it from behind a la Bert). Instead, he feels no other option but to put Hollweg's head in the upper deck - his fury at what he considered a bad check by Hollweg so great that he pretty much reacted immediately.

As to length of suspension? Has to be on the same par as Bert's. Simon took the hit, went down, had time to get up, square to the pitcher, set his stance, and take a good cut at the ball. It was heat of the moment, but there was enough time after the initial hit for him to take a breath and make a decision on what to do.

And personally, after a hit like this with a multiple offender? In *my* NHL? Hang up the skates buddy. Go join Kasparitis and Ulf Samuelsson, and all those others who went out trying to hurt people, to end careers. If I were the commish or in charge of discipline, he'd be done for good. No chance at 'parole'.

Wasn't Simons the same guy who slashed Brashear in the head from behind a couple of seasons ago? If he is, I think he should be banned for at least a year as a repeat offender.

Pretty vicious.

Hollweg did hit him from behind though ... so he should get something too. That kind of hit is dangerous.

Edited by Bacchus

Wasn't Simons the same guy who slashed Brashear in the head from behind a couple of seasons ago? If he is, I think he should be banned for at least a year as a repeat offender.

Pretty vicious.

Legwan did hit him from behind though ... so he should get something too. That kind of hit is dangerous.

That was McSorley who slashed Brashear.

The thing no one wants to bring up, either with McSorley, Brashear (suspended multiple times himself), Bertuzzi, Simon, etc. is that these guys were all juiced up on roids or uppers for the most part. Jim Rome dropped a subtle comment this morning on his radio show when he said tha Simon "went all Barry Bonds" on Hollweg.

As soon as something like this happens they should pull the offender off the ice and subject him to every drug test known to man. IMMEDIATELY.

If they are hot, then BYE *ING BYE, PAL. The situation is no different from a driver injuring someone while he is drunk or high in a vehicle.

Edited by bobby

Guess I should have included a link...

Simon Suspended Indefinitely

I have a feeling this "Indefinitely Pending Further Review" is the NHL waiting to see what the public reaction is. I remember when Bertuzzi was allowed to play at the beginning of the 05-06 season, many fans (not just Avs fans) were outraged at the league and thought he should've missed that season too (Canucks probably would've been better off too. Heh. I'd apologize Stealthy but we just need to look at the division now so I won't :P)

Missing next season is conceivable though, like other posters have said, repeat offender. Especially with the main reaction from fans that the NHL is taking things too lightly, this is the leagues chance to change that.

Simon's a gutless puke, just like Todd Bertuzzi.

Speaking of Bertuzzi, it makes me sick that he was even rumoured to once be heading to Montreal, a player like that should never wear the CH.

Simon though...what a dirty player. Hollweg got a nice clean hit and Simon just went berserk. He's on the roids, I bet.

Simon though...what a dirty player. Hollweg got a nice clean hit and Simon just went berserk. He's on the roids, I bet.

I'd have given Hollweg 2 minutes for hitting from behind, if I was in a bad mood that day. But how does Simon swinging his stick at a guy have anything to do with steroids?

And the instigator rule takes another huge hit. If Simon had been allowed to drop his gloves he would have beaten the pulp out of Hollweg, but that would have been about it (assuming he was face-to-face with Hollweg, and didn't try it from behind a la Bert). Instead, he feels no other option but to put Hollweg's head in the upper deck - his fury at what he considered a bad check by Hollweg so great that he pretty much reacted immediately.

As to length of suspension? Has to be on the same par as Bert's. Simon took the hit, went down, had time to get up, square to the pitcher, set his stance, and take a good cut at the ball. It was heat of the moment, but there was enough time after the initial hit for him to take a breath and make a decision on what to do.

And personally, after a hit like this with a multiple offender? In *my* NHL? Hang up the skates buddy. Go join Kasparitis and Ulf Samuelsson, and all those others who went out trying to hurt people, to end careers. If I were the commish or in charge of discipline, he'd be done for good. No chance at 'parole'.

I love Ulf Samuelsson. He is the guy who wiped away the "Chicken swede"-name and gave a little payback for how the canadians played in the 70s. I hate Esposito (I think it was him) so damn much.

But enough about that. What Simon did here was bad and Im quite sure he feels really bad about it now. Ive done stupid things some times when I get mad and I allways feel really bad about them after.

I wonder how many Playstation controllers Ive ruined through the years :D