The Great Merged Toronto Thread

rafikz

They have won their last 2 OT games ; in those 2 OT wins (vs Pens and Flyers) they had the lead in regulation, but Pens tied it in the closing seconfs, and Philly tied the game with 3 minutes to go (or so) ; still, they remained motivated and won in OT.

Im afraid they have developed some confidence regarding OT , similar to 1993 Canadiens looking forward to play OT.

That can be scary if Habs and Leafs both have the same points toal before saturday's battle :blink:

What do u think?

Edited by Fanpuck33

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have won their last 2 OT games ; in those 2 OT wins (vs Pens and Flyers) they had the lead in regulation, but Pens tied it in the closing seconfs, and Philly tied the game with 3 minutes to go (or so) ; still, they remained motivated and won in OT.

Im afraid they have developed some confidence regarding OT , similar to 1993 Canadiens looking forward to play OT.

That can be scary if Habs and Leafs both have the same points toal before saturday's battle :blink:

What do u think?

Not at worried about this point for 2 important reasons. One, the Flyers are the worst team in the league and the laughs had to go to overtime in the most imp game of the season and needed a powerplay to score. Two, the Laughs need a regulation win. If the Habs TO game goes to OT Habs are in the playoffs as long as they get a point against the Rags or TO loses to the Isles.

Edited by PMAC

Two, the Laughs need a regulation win. If the Habs TO game goes to OT Habs are in the playoffs.

Not necessarely true. If we lose in OT vs Rangers AND if Leafs win their next one, both teams will have 91 pts before saturday's game

Not necessarely true. If we lose in OT vs Rangers AND if Leafs win their next one, both teams will have 91 pts before saturday's game

Sorry, your are right but I am still not worried because the Leafs will probably fall against the Isles and if they dont the Habs are going to beat them at home-- in regulation-- to take the last spot. Look at the way the Habs goalie and Captain are playing and contrast them with To's. We have to have faith.

If two teams finish with the same points total, isn't wins the "next" tie-breaker? Montreal has more wins than can possibly get with only two games left to play for both teams.

After 80 games, Montreal has 42 wins and Toronto has 39. In other words, the Leafs have to finish one point ahead of Montreal in order to snatch that playoff spot, right?

Edited by Doktor Kosmos

If two teams finish with the same points total, isn't wins the "next" tie-breaker? Montreal has more wins than can possibly get with only two games left to play for both teams.

After 80 games, Montreal has 42 wins and Toronto has 39. In other words, the Leafs have to finish one point ahead of Montreal in order to snatch that playoff spot, right?

Right.

bottom line is if montreal wins on thursday. one of the leafs or islanders will be gone.

anyhow, I'm cheering for the islanders on thursday

bottom line is if montreal wins on thursday. one of the leafs or islanders will be gone.

anyhow, I'm cheering for the islanders on thursday

Me too. I was peeved that the Islanders beat the Rags last night because that means that NYR will play us harder on Thursday, but the good news about this game is that it means NYI can play and win without DiPietro, and I'd rather they beat TO for us on Thursday.

We don't really need to worry about the Islanders. The only way they are a problem is if we get exactly 1 point in our final two games and they win all 3 of theirs including beating Toronto in regulation. If we get 2 points we eliminate the Islanders. If we don't get any more points the Leaf's eliminate us.

IMO if we only get 1 point (or less) in the next two games we can't expect to qualify.

The beauty of our position is that not only do we control our own destiny but we will still control it going into Saturday's game no matter what happens Thursday.

They should worry about the Leafs a bit if they lose to the Rangers. The Leafs have a much higher work ethic then the Habs. Sp for a one game series, you gotta like there chances.

If the Habs worry about themselves and play 60 minutes the next 2 games they should make it. Even though they won last night i wasn't very impressed by the effort, they played well but no urgency.

Maybe the Habs can steal a point against the Rangers and have the Islanders win, that would make Saturday meaningless and they could see about Huet.

I hope it comes down to all or nothing vs the leafs.

Yes, it'd be great knowing for sure that we're in...but hollywood couldn't write a better script...Hockey Night in Canada...Leafs/Habs,...win and you're in the dance.

They should worry about the Leafs a bit if they lose to the Rangers. The Leafs have a much higher work ethic then the Habs. Sp for a one game series, you gotta like there chances.

If the Habs worry about themselves and play 60 minutes the next 2 games they should make it. Even though they won last night i wasn't very impressed by the effort, they played well but no urgency.

Maybe the Habs can steal a point against the Rangers and have the Islanders win, that would make Saturday meaningless and they could see about Huet.

Yeah well it would mean the Habs would finish above the Leafs anyway but the Ilsanders could still sneak in above them.

That's about right. The Habs have significantly more talent than the Leafs, but the Leafs are psychologically WAAAY tougher, a much more determined and blood-and-guts team than these bozos, who gave the season away by jerking off for two months. In a one-game, winner-take-all series, you have to put money on the team with more character, especially given that the game is in TO.

I don't like this one bit.

I'm worried in general about the Leafs but Monsieur Vezina - relax man. It's just as easy to say that Toronto is playing with hell fire going into OT. My friend (Habs fan) commented last night that "if the best they can do is let the Flyers get into OT, if I were a Leaf fan, I'd be worried".

It almost sounds like some of us and LeafNation are rubber stamping tomorrows game at Long Island as a auto W. The Isles are better than the Flyers. The only worry we have is the Rag$. get them and bring on saturday :D

It'll go down to the last game, and I don't like the prospect at all.

Not if Montreal beats NYR and NYI beat the Leafs on Thursday. One Montreal win means the Islanders can tie them in points, but Montreal has more wins. A Habs win coupled with a Toronto loss (even an OT loss) would would eliminate the Leafs.

The way I look at it, we have to get 2 points out of 2 games with teams that are borderline playoff teams/bottom seeds, however you want to look at it. No disrespect, but if The Franchise can't go .500 against these guys, then we really don't deserve to be in the playoffs and compete against Buffalo or New Jersey or Ottawa.

I'm more worried about the Rangers game then the Toronto one, I think we're soooo overdue to spank the Leafs, even if it is on the road, but here's hoping their string of good luck ends against the Islanders. I wanna see Huet play ;-) !!!

That's about right. The Habs have significantly more talent than the Leafs, but the Leafs are psychologically WAAAY tougher, a much more determined and blood-and-guts team than these bozos, who gave the season away by jerking off for two months. In a one-game, winner-take-all series, you have to put money on the team with more character, especially given that the game is in TO.

Even during the lamentable decline of the level of discussion on this board, I have rarely seen such an assinine post. You're praising the same " blood and guts" laughs that got humiliated by the Rangers in a game that could have solidified their playoff position? The same leafs that got blown away by Buffalo? That were fortunate to squeak by the Pens? That needed a powerplay in OT to edge the Flyers??? Look at our goalie and Captain and compare with the Leafs???

Edited by PMAC

It's a good thing you're not a doctor... misdiagnosing the flu for masturbating? LOL

I will agree with you on one thing: The Laffs have shown great determination in the face of adversity this year. And although that sickens me, I begrudgingly respect that.

The Laffs have shown great determination in the face of adversity this year. And although that sickens me, I begrudgingly respect that.

Yes, I'd agree with that. Montreal's been stepping it up recently and Saku will have to carry us in like he did last night. That said, PMAC - it isn't the end of the world if you respect another team for their play. You don't need to support a team to respect them.

Yes, I'd agree with that. Montreal's been stepping it up recently and Saku will have to carry us in like he did last night. That said, PMAC - it isn't the end of the world if you respect another team for their play. You don't need to support a team to respect them.

Right. To deny that the Leafs have a lot of character, THAT would be asinine. Their problem is just that they're not that great a hockey team, which is why, if they relax their intensity for five minutes, they get blown out. (The habs have been able to get away with winning games despite low intensity, which may be part of the reason - beyond the flu - why they took two months off: bad habits).

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Look at our goalie and Captain and compare with the Leafs???

Ummm...actually, if I were a GM, I might well take Sundin and Raycroft over Koivu and Halak. Sorry.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Ummm...actually, if I were a GM, I might well take Sundin and Raycroft over Koivu and Halak. Sorry.

Not me, Sundin is a Leaf for the rest of his life and I hope Koivu the same for the Habs. Halak is much better than Raycroft in my opinion. I have great Respect for Sundin but I do not think I would trade Koivu for him. It would be like trading Muller for Turgeon and I was not a fan of that move.