Koivu Appreciation Thread

Nilan

almost a year ago, williams took out saku and, frankly, i feared his career might be over. i recall writing that i didnt even care if the Canes took the series, so long as the little guy was ok. to add insult to injury, the canes march to the cup.

fast forward one year: saku has career year points-wise. is an absolute pro throughout a trying season.

and, best of all, leads the habs to a key win with two sick goals ON THE SAME NIGHT J. WILLIAMS AND THE REST OF HIS CREW ARE TURFED FROM THE PLAYOFFS.

let's forget the playoffs, the leafs, samsonov and everything else for 2 (short) minutes - we're not going to win the cup this year, but last night, we won something.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't search for the thread, but a few months ago, there was a thread about who would be the Habs' best player. I stated that Koivu would be their best player, because, He Is There Best Player. I'm just doing a little gloating. The fact is, when Koivu plays well, the Habs win. You can take any other player out of the picture, and we will do OK, but if Saku is out or not performing, the Habs lose. End of story.

As one of those who complained when Koivu was playing poorly earlier this season, it wouldn't be right if I didn't acknowledge that he has been exceptional lately - when we need him most.

I love the little guy to bits, and am impressed at how he has raised his game. And, to achieve career highs in goals and (probably) points after a major injury is spectacular.

My hat is off to the captain.

Hats off for him to play a crucial role when it counts.

He is an inspiration on and off the ice.

I want him to play a long while with us even when he's slowing down with the ages, injuries and illness.

If another center could download him some pressure offensively as a top 20 center in the league he would be even greater.

Koivu is definitely one of the most under-appreciated players on our team. Ppl expect more from him than is possible considerign what he's gone through with injuries and illness, and yet take it for granted when he steps up big. I agree with Easy Ryder that I'd like him to stay with the Habs, even as he slows down in the coming years.

Major knee injuries... check.

Major eye injury... check.

Cancer... check.

Through all of this, he's a major star and a first-class gentleman. I loved seeing those goals last night and seeing him get a career high in goals. Now we need him to get 2 assists and a penalty to top career highs in assists, points, and PIMs.

He's a rare player... and a Habs treasure!

Edited by The Iron Lung

It was amazing in the Bell Centre last night the (Saku, Saku) chants where awesome.

He is the truest of all competitors and always shuts up the critics when the knock his game.

One more point for a career high, he deserves the playoffs and eventually a Stanley Cup.

Amazing what he's done after that horrible stretch after the new year. His own play was lacking and the team didn't seem to be playing together at all. It seemed like his leadership was doing jack squat. He starts playing better and everyone else seems to step up. Perhaps he's more of a leader by example than he is a vocal leader.

Through all the criticism I gave him during that rough stretch, I never did question what he means to this team or what he has done for the organization. Only thing I don't like is how much the fortunes of the team ride with him. They collapse when he struggles and excel when he plays well. It's not good for a team to rely on a single player that much. Not a knock on Koivu, but on the psyche of the whole team.

I've never thought anything less than great of Saku. He's an inspiration, but some people will never understand what he brings to Montreal isn't just on the scoresheet. This man has been through so much, and still remains a high-calibre player. He makes those who play around him that much better, and sees the ice as good as the best of them (ironically). I know I'm guilty of expecting too much of him, but he's my hero, and that's how those things work.

I will be devastated if he's ever traded. I want him to win a Cup(s) in Montreal and retire a Canadien.

To Koivu!

Edited by lazy26

He's my personal hero...Im not kidding, he has been for a while. He is a great player, a wonderful person and a stand up Montrealer. Despite his lack of points etc, I TRULY hope we see number 11 hanging from the rafters one day...he has been one of the most special players/captains in Habs history. I see him retiring with the Habs and playing the role of Brind'amour for the habs in their next finals appearance.

It's the same thing every year: Koivu evaporates for a long stretch (which unfortunately seems to get longer every year) but steps up when it really counts. One thing that's not fully appreciated is what a clutch, playoff performer this guy is.

If it weren't for those extended annual vanishing acts, nobody would be arguing that he's not a first-line C.

One of the classiest men ever to wear the CH. And that, folks, is REALLY saying something. :hlogo:

You know what the beauty is?

Koivu exterminated the Canes of the Playoffs!!!

With his two goals he made sure the Canes cant reach the playoffs anymore, What a payback!!

As a coach I always stressed to my players that the best revenge one could have was on the scoreboard - as Koivu is one of my all time favourite Habs, this is a sweet vindication. :bow: :hlogo: :hockey:

As well as a source of personal satisfaction for trying to instill that approach in so many young players.....

for the records Koivu has 14points in last 10 games.

Right now Koivu plays like when he captains the finland team. He's on a misson. just look at koivu on saturday, he'll get a 3 point game !!!

Great article here from my friend at Eyes On The Prize.

Habs Koivu, A Captain For The Ages

http://wwwrealitycheckeyesontheprize.blogs...n-for-ages.html

Great article. After his career Saku should write a book. He went through so much and he has a great attitude.

I wish him a Stanley Cup with the Habs, this decade, and have his Habs#11 jersey retired.

He has played great the past while, and last night he flat-out carried his team to a win. When I bash Saku, it's because I KNOW he's capable of playing like that....and it frustrates me when he doesn't, because we NEED our number-one center playing like that to have any sustained success. Gotta hope he keeps playing like that, because if he does...and the other lines chip in...this team can definitely win the final two games and pull off a first-round upset.

Great article. After his career Saku should write a book. He went through so much and he has a great attitude.

I wish him a Stanley Cup with the Habs, this decade, and have his Habs#11 jersey retired.

That may be a bit much to ask for. He would have to put up 75+ point seasons for the rest of his career as a minimum and even then he would be nowhere near any of the guys currently retired. It would be nice to see though.

The albatros on Koivu is that, as the Habs captain and "star" player, he has to suffer the comparisons with guys like Roy or Carbo or Lafleur or Gainey... guys who could lead the way in the playoffs and won the Cup.

Until he wins the big one, i dont think Saku will ever be "up there" with the best of Habs history.

Koivu doesn't even come close to the guys whose numbers currently hang from the Bell Centre rafters. He's not Hall of Fame worthy, let alone worthy of having his number retired.

Koivu doesn't even come close to the guys whose numbers currently hang from the Bell Centre rafters. He's not Hall of Fame worthy, let alone worthy of having his number retired.

If you base it on stats alone, or Cups won then Koivu obviously does not measure up to either of these honours - but the intangibles and his contribution to the game itself should be taken into consideration.

Whether or not he will qualify is definitely open to serious debate - but it isn't just about the numbers. They are not a solitary, defining prerequisite or the only qualification for that decision. A career worthy of honour definitely goes beyond just the statistics.....

Koivu is Hall of Fame material - by virtue of his combination of stats, long service as Habs' captain and #1 C, and what he has meant to the game, both in Montreal and Finland.

But is he Retired Sweater material? No WAY. Only all-time greats should have their numbers up there. Period.

Koivu is Hall of Fame material - by virtue of his combination of stats, long service as Habs' captain and #1 C, and what he has meant to the game, both in Montreal and Finland.

But is he Retired Sweater material? No WAY. Only all-time greats should have their numbers up there. Period.

If he is worthy of the NHL hall of fame, he is worthy of having his sweater retired....though he is neither as it stands now.

I'm glad to see all the positive comments about Koivu, but it makes me kind of sick to see that half of you will be calling him out after the next loss. I know most of you are true fans of his, like myself, but I'm sure some of the posters on this thread were his nay-sayers..

If you base it on stats alone, or Cups won then Koivu obviously does not measure up to either of these honours - but the intangibles and his contribution to the game itself should be taken into consideration.

Whether or not he will qualify is definitely open to serious debate - but it isn't just about the numbers. They are not a solitary, defining prerequisite or the only qualification for that decision. A career worthy of honour definitely goes beyond just the statistics.....

The Hall of Fame is for players who were among the elite in their era. Koivu has always been a key player on the Habs and their captain, but there is no way he has ever had even a single season where he would be listed among the league's elite players.