2 best UFA's for Habs

peihabs

Interesting thread, however Tokyohabs I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on needing a forward first, the D needs a Major overhaul, that should be the top priority. I really liked the Higgins Pleks and Kosty line once they were put together and when healthy should put up pretty good numbers. I would put Lats with Koivu and Kovalev.

This team also needs more grit and character, I think Chipchura can take Bonks spot, so they'll need a couple of grinders with size to play with them. Primeau (spelling) Torres players in that mold. The fourth i like with Begin and Lapierre, a youngster and real goon would be nice for that line.

They could also move a goalie and a pick to move up in the draft to get a top D player.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, I like Richards, but it's true about a more physical #1 helping. I'm REALLY liking Drury or Smyth. The problem is that they'll probably be the most sought after ufas of the summer around the whole league.

Why why WHY! Can no one realize that this guy ONLY decent because he plays with 2 of the best players in the league?!?! It is like saying Recchi is a superstar because he plays next to sid the kid. TB is in a bind...they need to thin out their salary...Vinny and Marty are two genuine talents, so TB will get rid of the guy who can EASILY be replaced by a young kid with size.

I REALLY hate when people suggest Richards...we should stop aiming for mediocrity!! This is what is wrong with the habs of late, going for mediocre talent. I understand it is not all the fault of BG, but we need to offer some kind of municipal or provincial tax benefits to hockey players to start attracting them to Montreal. Unless we can get a BIG name like Smyth, Drury, Lecav...even Briere, we should giuve the time to the youngsters who need time in the NHL to develop.

On Grabs: I REALLY love this kid. I was at the Habs-Rangers game where he made his pro-debut and the kid was LIGHTNING. But UI am really worried about his size. Not because you can't be small and still be a great player (ie Saku, St-Louis), but those guys have resilience. Grabs has been injured alot in the AHL, this will only get worse in the NHL. A Shame really...he just dances around players and creates opportunities.

Edited by cfposi

Why why WHY! Can no one realize that this guy ONLY decent because he plays with 2 of the best players in the league?!?! It is like saying Recchi is a superstar because he plays next to sid the kid. TB is in a bind...they need to thin out their salary...Vinny and Marty are two genuine talents, so TB will get rid of the guy who can EASILY be replaced by a young kid with size.

I REALLY hate when people suggest Richards...we should stop aiming for mediocrity!! This is what is wrong with the habs of late, going for mediocre talent. I understand it is not all the fault of BG, but we need to offer some kind of municipal or provincial tax benefits to hockey players to start attracting them to Montreal. Unless we can get a BIG name like Smyth, Drury, Lecav...even Briere, we should giuve the time to the youngsters who need time in the NHL to develop.

On Grabs: I REALLY love this kid. I was at the Habs-Rangers game where he made his pro-debut and the kid was LIGHTNING. But UI am really worried about his size. Not because you can't be small and still be a great player (ie Saku, St-Louis), but those guys have resilience. Grabs has been injured alot in the AHL, this will only get worse in the NHL. A Shame really...he just dances around players and creates opportunities.

I concede cfposi... good points. Sorry for upsetting you so much :P If it's any consolation, I'm not really hung up on Richards or anything, I just thought he'd be okay.

Wow...I'm stunned that someone said Richards is a mediocre talent...was that your credibility that just wooshed by?

Having Richards and Koivu as the top two C's would be very nice. I'm not sold that Lecavalier is really any better then Richards...they are very different types of players but both are legit 85+ point guys.

I think everyone can likely agree that the Habs need a #1 C and a top tier defensive D-man to go with re-signing Markov and Souray. That MIGHT make the Habs into contenders for the division...MAYBE.

BUT

This team has a lot more holes then I thought at the beginning of the year.

Lats - Richards - Ryder

Higgins - Koivu - Kovalev

Kosty/Perezhogin - Plekanec - Johnson

That's better then we had but it still hinges on the further development of our young guys.

Markov

Souray

Komisarek

UFA

Streit

UFA

Huet

Halak/Danis

Even with a good C, re-signing Markov and Souray, and signing 1-2 quality d-men this team is still very dependant on it's youth providing some goals before it can be a legit contender for the division. MAYBE Pleks, Higgins, Kosty and Ryder can step it up...but they haven't been consistent enough to bet the season on...JMHO

Richards won a con smythe trophy and had terrible wingers all year long he is a lot better than mediocre if Gainey could trade for him and keep Markov and the rest of the team under the cap that would be good news for Habs fans.

Good points Zowped but the habs aren't getting Richards or Lecavallier. You are right with this team having numerous holes, but 1 center and 1 D man won't fix it. They are as a team small, soft and can't play for then 20 minutes a night. They need to add grit and size to start turning around the effort part. Most every poster has a team of smurfs and offensive players on the lines, all the good teams have 2 effective offensive lines, a checking line and a grinding line. The Habs in reality don't haver any of that. On paper maybe but in reality this isn't EA sports.

So until the grit, size and effort change it's not going to matter who they get. If you read the quotes from carbo all the way back when he was hired as an assistant to Gainey he said the same thing.

In the extremely unlikely event that Richards get signed in Montreal, we will if he is the superstar we have been looking for. I don't think so, but if we sign him and I am wrong...I buy beers for this thread. :D

In the extremely unlikely event that Richards get signed in Montreal, we will if he is the superstar we have been looking for. I don't think so, but if we sign him and I am wrong...I buy beers for this thread. :D

Richards is signed for the next 3 years, I think. It'd be a massive trade, and Richards would have to agree to waive his No Trade Clause.

Sending Samsonov to the minors would rid us of the cap hit all together, as he is less than 35 years old, but it would probably do nothing for the Bulldogs dressingroom.

Buying out Samsonov means wasting all the money they saved by sending Theodore to Colorado, basically. But then so does paying him to sit on the bench or play in the minors. :rolleyes: As it sits, Aebisher will be gone next season without ever earning the 2 mill or so per season he cost, and another 3.5 goes down the toilet for Samsonov. That pretty much negates any savings from dumping Theo.

Interesting thread, however Tokyohabs I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on needing a forward first, the D needs a Major overhaul, that should be the top priority.

Sorry, I meant someone who is an offensive-minded player above a defensive-minded player. Either at fw or d will do. If a d-man, someone who can move the puck well and consistently.

If a fwd, someone who can score consistently (not the Michael-3-months-off-Ryder type) and kick a bit of arse.

Sending Samsonov to the minors would rid us of the cap hit all together, as he is less than 35 years old, but it would probably do nothing for the Bulldogs dressingroom.

I agree but it would send a terrible message to future ufas that could consider mtl.

Bla bla bla Richards bla bla bla Richards.

Don't want to miss the potential free beer.

Slainte!

Briere and Timonen would be my first two choices to sign. That would really get us to the next step of having a fast scoring team. Briere's got the guts and clutch mentality you expect from top forwards; and Timonen would really improve our transition play AND give us a deep PP.

Smyth is getting old and banged up and will most likely fetch upwards of 4.5/5 M on the market. His best years are behind him and he never got more than 70 pts in a season. I'd expect more offense from a guy earning 5M$.

As for Richards, for all his qualities, he wouldn't bring neither speed or physicality to our forward group and he may already have reached his ceiling in terms of production. If you're going to swing for the fence, go all out and grab Vinny, who might still have some upside left even after this incredible season; without mentionning the speed and physical factor he brings.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys!

I don't know if this has been mentioned before and I apologize if it has!... My question.:

Would the likes of UFA coming from Buffalo increase if tyhey manage to win the cup or would that accomplishment diminish the chances of signing the likes of Drury etc...

or second would there be more UFA coming from Buffalo is they wint he cup but their Tag price will sky rocket?

p.s.

Obviously I want the the UFA's coming out if Buffalo! anyone with the work ethic that Buffalo has installed in their players is welcome to join the glorieux IMO

I think that if they win the cup and playing for a competitive team is importnat for them they may re-sign for less money. Should they lose and feel cursed they may want out no matter what.

What it really boils down to is ($$$$$MONEY$$$$) the big name guys know they can get it so they will do thier best to drive thier numbers up in the playoffs so the longer they are in the more chances they get to bump thier numbers.

I don't care what Gainey has to do. I want to buy a Habs jersey with Smitty's name and number on it. If I were to choose my favorite UFAs this year, and how I think they would fit into this organization, they would be...

Centre: Chris Drury. He can play all sides of the game. I think he is signable (unlike Lacavelier and Briere, who are going to be fought harder for.)

Wing: Smythe. My favorite NHLer right now. (put the friggen teeth in a bag and let me back on the ice)

Defense: Rafalski. Very mobile. We might be able to keep the D a little farther forward in the neutral zone this year with him. Our D get caught flat footed all the time, so Carbo makes them retreat to our zone, and the opposing team skates in unobstructed. It drives me nuts.

There are rumors that the Islanders are busy trying to negotiate another of their infamous lifetime contracts with Smyth. I love how they aren't put off by the concept from the Yashin debacle at all.

There's no way we'd get more than one of the above, though. Our best bet for multiple UFA's is a big name and a lesser name. The trade route might allow us to acquire 2 big names this summer, though it wouldn't be easy.

Rafalski I don't think will be leaving Jersey.

I don't care what Gainey has to do. I want to buy a Habs jersey with Smitty's name and number on it. If I were to choose my favorite UFAs this year, and how I think they would fit into this organization, they would be...

Centre: Chris Drury. He can play all sides of the game. I think he is signable (unlike Lacavelier and Briere, who are going to be fought harder for.)

Wing: Smythe. My favorite NHLer right now. (put the friggen teeth in a bag and let me back on the ice)

Defense: Rafalski. Very mobile. We might be able to keep the D a little farther forward in the neutral zone this year with him. Our D get caught flat footed all the time, so Carbo makes them retreat to our zone, and the opposing team skates in unobstructed. It drives me nuts.

There seriously needs to be a crying emote or something...

Anyways, Lecavalier is still under contract for another two seasons, so we can't sign him this off-season.

That would be amazing......

Higgins - Drury - Smyth