Johnson wants to stay

mathieu30

Mike Johnson veut rester avec le CH

«Mike a répété plusieurs fois qu'il aimait Montréal. Sa famille a beaucoup aimé la ville également. Le Canadien doit comprendre que ce ne sont pas tous les joueurs qui veulent jouer à Montréal. À Montréal, c'est plus intense, et il y a une forte pression médiatique. Sur 10 joueurs autonomes, il y en a deux ou trois qui ne voudront pas aller jouer pour le Canadien. Mike Johnson, lui, veut jouer à Montréal. Le Canadien devrait y penser.»

-Pat Morris

Translation: Mike and his family like the city of Montréal. The Canadiens have to know that not everyone wants to play here in Montreal because of the pressure/media. 2-3 out of 10 free agents do not want to come here. My client (Mike Johnson) wants to play for the CH, the Canadiens should keep that in mind.

For 1.9 million, i would say it might be a lot for him. Would he sign for less? I liked him during start of season but then it went downhill in my mind. Downhill not in a "theodore" way of things, but i wasnt impress with his play afterwards...

What do others think?

For 1.9 million, i would say it might be a lot for him. Would he sign for less? I liked him during start of season but then it went downhill in my mind. Downhill not in a "theodore" way of things, but i wasnt impress with his play afterwards...

What do others think?

we do need a guy like him. he wants 3 years ?!! ok for 4M I'm game. however, he'll have to play better then what he gave us in the 2nd half.

No hitting, just a floater with good two ways, not a winner.

Kots, Ferland and Milroy need a spot next year.

Long term,3 years ??We have some prospects winger that needs room in the next three years.

D'agostini, Little ####, White.

No thank you.

Man you guys are a tough crowd. You give all kinds of players passes on there efforts but Johnson, Pleks and Bonk were the only ones who showed up about every night but you have to blast Johnson.

There is 15 players you should be calling out before Johnson. He kills penalties, plays against the other teams best and chips in some points. What else do you want him to do?

He would be a good winger to play with Chipchura, I don't think Bonk is coming back, They need a gritty left winger Torres type and that woud be a decent 3rd line. Begin and Lapierre on the 4th.

No hitting, just a floater with good two ways, not a winner.

Kots, Ferland and Milroy need a spot next year.

Long term,3 years ??We have some prospects winger that needs room in the next three years.

D'agostini, Little ####, White.

No thank you.

Milroy and Ferland instead of Johnson : No Way. I don't think Milory will ever play on a regular basis for the Habs.

Johnson is an important element on a hockey team. It's him or Bonk, Bob has to choose.

Johnson was a consistent plus player. He and Bonk played against top lines all year and very little scoring happened either way. They did their job. The question is how much he wants to be paid. If either Bonk or Johnson is willing to take a pay cut, then I'd be very happy to keep them. If they're looking for a raise...not so much.

Edited by Bullsmith

Johnson is a good player with nice offensive upside for a third-liner. A singificant upgrade on Bulis. The only question is whether he's taking a spot from a good young player. If he is, then he has no value to us.

But $1.9 mil is too much. $1.5 seems fair to me.

And I'd be reluctant to lock him in for a long term deal. Then you're stuck with him when a young guy IS ready to take his spot.

Incidentally, this agent's ratio - that 20-30% of UFAs don't want to come to Montreal - is better than I'd have expected. I'd have put it at about 50%. Finally, some good news!

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Kovalev, Ryder, Samsonov, Koivu are also taking spots from younger and quit possibly better players. I think the players listed above were a minus 80 or something. So this team isn't going anywhere with these players either, i just don't understand why alot of you give these guys passes but the actual hard workers can get shuffled out of here no problem.

There are mony Habs who don't deserve the money they are making.

What has happened in the past 5 years while moving fringe players around? Nothing the core continues to be an 8 seed on there best year.

Moving Johnson IS NOT going to make the team better. Moving out the ACTUAL underachievers will.

Johnson is a good player with nice offensive upside for a third-liner. A singificant upgrade on Bulis. The only question is whether he's taking a spot from a good young player. If he is, then he has no value to us.

But $1.9 mil is too much. $1.5 seems fair to me.

And I'd be reluctant to lock him in for a long term deal. Then you're stuck with him when a young guy IS ready to take his spot.

Incidentally, this agent's ratio - that 20-30% of UFAs don't want to come to Montreal - is better than I'd have expected. I'd have put it at about 50%. Finally, some good news!

sure a 1 year deal a la Ryder till a youngster gets ready.

This is good news. I hope that Johnson will stay and that Gainey wants the same, since he fits the 3rd line checking role just fine. However, two years should be the maximum for any 32 year old (actually he'll be 33 in October) player. As long as his salary demands are very close to what he earned last season, I will have no problem with the Habs resigning him.

Johnson provides good depth and he's rarely hurting the team... he's rarely helping out offensively though...

So we're talking about weither or not we should keep a depth player. With the impending youth movement, it would'nt hurt to keep some veteran presence and stability.

Begin & Johnson would be very good veteran wingers to support a young C like Chipchura.

This signing would be Francis Bouillon all over again. We should aim higher. We didn't need Bouillon last year because we had Streit and Cote waiting in the wings if nothing else, and we had 3 pending UFA's to deal with the next summer.

I like Johnson, but this summer is all about identifying and solidifying our core. Johnson doesn't fit our long term plans.

We've got 2/3 regular forward spots available. Grabovski and Ferland have to be considered for sure. And then there's the search for another centreman. Or a puck moving d-man. Streit could easily do Johnson's job at forward for 1/3 of the cost.

The only way we keep Johnson is if we make a couple of trades and we suddenly need him again.

Johnson provides good depth and he's rarely hurting the team... he's rarely helping out offensively though...

So we're talking about weither or not we should keep a depth player. With the impending youth movement, it would'nt hurt to keep some veteran presence and stability.

Begin & Johnson would be very good veteran wingers to support a young C like Chipchura.

Exactly... and while he's not a "threat" offensively, he's still very good. He's our best offensive "defensive players" (> Bonk > Begin, etc)

Also, I would go so far as to say that Bonk's "rebirth" couldn't have happened without Johnson... Johnson made Bonk look way better than he actually was... and without Johnson, Bonk would have been our 4th line Center, just like he was 2 years ago.

I hope they can resign him - provided the cost is right?

Good character veteran who actually wants to play in Montreal. :clap: :hlogo: :clap:

Teams that are bringing young players in need this type of a player, especially during a transition period.

The start of next year could be just that if they bring a few guys up?

Not to compare the two, but why did Pittsburgh go out and get Gary Roberts...... experience & leadership!

And Johnson would most likely be someone you could package at the deadline if necessary. A team looking for an edge would be interested in a guy like this. But the cost has to be right and the length of the contract suitable to make this option viable. Keep him on board as long as it takes to groom the young talent coming up!

As for Bouillon vs Johnson - this one isn't even a fair comparison. The Habs need help much more desperately behind the blueline right now. Bouillon doesn't bring what they need - I love him, but last year he was nowhere near what he was the year before. Not to mention the fact that he lacks the size this team needs to find on defence. He has a ton of heart & he may play big - but when push comes to shove in front of the net he's still small.....

Edited by beliveau1

We're consistently overpaying our depth guys. We have to invest in our top end more. This will make 4 $1-$2m role players on our team (Bouillon, Dandenault, Johnson, Begin). I guess it beats last year when we also had Bonk and Niinimaa at around $2.5m each, and Aebischer at $1.9m... but then Streit will become a UFA in 2008, and will likely get a similar deal if not better (if he becomes a top 4 D, let's say).

Might as well include Samsonov's likely buyout in our "role players" equation at $1.2m or so.

Edited by saskhab

I liked Johnson's play. If he comes back (at a reasonable price), I hope it's with that offensive edge he had before the Greene hit vs Edmonton.

The one thing that worries me a tad about the Habs is their bottom liners.

Lapierre, Streit, Begin and maybe Latendresse are a given. The rest is up in the air. Sure, there's a possibility of Chipchura, Ferland or Milroy taking a spot in there too but I still think a good vet presence is important. Murray is a question mark in my book.

Kovalev, Ryder, Samsonov, Koivu are also taking spots from younger and quit possibly better players. I think the players listed above were a minus 80 or something. So this team isn't going anywhere with these players either, i just don't understand why alot of you give these guys passes but the actual hard workers can get shuffled out of here no problem

Why do i want to get rid of Johnson ??

Because of bad signings, especially the UFA signings of Bob.

Fact: Kovalev 4.5, Samsonov 3.5, Ryder 2.2 and Koivu 4.8 eat 15 millions.

Just to get rid of Samsonov it will cost 2.5 million this year and on cap money 1.5million in the two years after that.

So basically this year we have to fill a hole of 4 million with something.

Where do you take this money?? With the middle range waste of money.

First by not signing back Unresticted except Markov.

Dandenault 1.7, Bouillon 1.8, and Ryder 2.2+ are bait for a trade for a reliable right D like Aucoin.

If you want to get rid of Kovalev it's even worse.

Our dream of a big center will still be a dream.

I want him to stay too. I also want Bonk to stay and have all the promotions too. So, I wish the Habs to carry 28 players with 5 lines. Since this is impossible I have to say, "I like your play Mike and appreciate you wanting to be with the Canadiens but... :?- "

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Bonk will take less money to re-sign in Montreal. His wife and family is from Ottawa and he loves the city of Montreal.

Johnson might do the same just because he loves to play in Canada so much.

The real question is how much less would they take?

I would love to keep both and move others first.

Kovalev, Ryder, Samsonov, Koivu are also taking spots from younger and quit possibly better players. I think the players listed above were a minus 80 or something. So this team isn't going anywhere with these players either, i just don't understand why alot of you give these guys passes but the actual hard workers can get shuffled out of here no problem.

There are mony Habs who don't deserve the money they are making.

What has happened in the past 5 years while moving fringe players around? Nothing the core continues to be an 8 seed on there best year.

Moving Johnson IS NOT going to make the team better. Moving out the ACTUAL underachievers will.

Saying that we should replace Koivu (!) and Ryder with 'harder workers' assumes that we have comparable but harder working talent falling out of our asses. We don't. Sure, we could replace Koivu quite easily with Chipchura and Ryder with, say, Garth Murray. The trouble is, then we would finish last overall. I get fed up with the mentality that prizes hard work above everything else, including TALENT and goal scoring.

(I'm not even going to touch the ridiculous matter of the +/- totals, which were WAY out of whack for this team and not representative of what players like Koivu have done over their careers).

And I don't think that too many around here are giving Kovalev and Samsonov a 'pass.' But even if this were so, Johnson is another category of player, a third liner - and third liners are always easier to replace than top-six forwards, precisely because hard working hockey players are a dime a dozen, but TALENTED ones are far harder to find.

Johnson said this himself right after the season ended. Nothing new, really. I think the Habs should hang on to him, if it wouldn't prevent them from signing/bringing in a better player.

Johnson would make my team. He and Bonk both would be players I'd like to keep. Kovalev is also included on my roster of Montreal Canadiens. :hlogo:

Agreed, but if we keep both Bonk and Johnson then where is teh capspace for a useful UFA?

And if we re-sign Bonk then where is the roster spot for Graboski and/or Chipchura? Especially if a top 2 center is brought in.

Milroy and Ferland instead of Johnson : No Way. I don't think Milory will ever play on a regular basis for the Habs.

Johnson is an important element on a hockey team. It's him or Bonk, Bob has to choose.

Bonk will probably go only because we need an offensive #1/2 centre.. when he comes pleks will take Bonks spot.

:hlogo: