Would you take Yashin?

Makh2o

Well agree with some of your points Johnnyhasbeen, He isn't a Nolan kind of player. Like i said in another post, Carbo is a similar kind of coach, so i don't think Carbo likes those kind of players. A point a game is fine but if you don't hustle, play physical and play on the D end you're not going to cut it under coaches that have work ethic high on the list.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hearing stuff like the Kovalev-trade was a flop?

Both Kovalev and Samsonov has great talent. Kovalev might be one of the most talented players in the NHL. But for a coach to utilize that is a whole different story.

And about Briere versus Yashin...

Daniel Briere played for a team that made it to the conference finals. And before he got traded to Buffalo he was considered as a second line center. Has his play excelled that much? Apart from work-ethics, is he THAT much better than Mike Ribeiro? I'm not so sure...

Alexei Yashin on the other hand has only once survived the first playoff round and has a total of 48 playoff games under his belt. My point is that Alexei Yashin has never played in a team as good as Briere has in the last two seasons.

Uh, Yashin played on a number of Ottawa teams that were considered up-and-comers who should have done better in the playoffs, and instead bombed out, partly due to Yashin's disappearing act (him being a gutless lazy selfish jerk-off).

If our ONLY choice is between Briere at $6 mil, long term, and Yashin at $1 mil, short term, then I can actually see the argument for Yashin. I like Briere, who is a classic late bloomer and a consistent 30-goal scorer, but - as I said in other threads - I do not believe that any team will win the Cup with a 1-2 combo of Briere and Koivu down the middle. Either is great to have, but committing to both consigns you to long-term 'smurf' status and no hope in hell of beating a defence like Anaheim's or surviving the punishment of a long playoff run.

Fortunately this is not our only choice. What we should do instead is sign a good mid-range defenceman (Hannan, Preissing, Rafalski, there's a number available) and a good mid-range forward (Scott Hartnell is my preference by a mile). Forget Yashin. The problem at C has to be addressed through a trade IMHO - preferably of the *major* variety. In some ways, the biggest reason to hope we sign Souray is so he'll still be in our tacklebox at trade bait for a serious C.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Uh, Yashin played on a number of Ottawa teams that were considered up-and-comers who should have done better in the playoffs, and instead bombed out, partly due to Yashin's disappearing act (him being a gutless lazy selfish jerk-off).

If our ONLY choice is between Briere at $6 mil, long term, and Yashin at $1 mil, short term, then I can actually see the argument for Yashin. I like Briere, who is a classic late bloomer and a consistent 30-goal scorer, but - as I said in other threads - I do not believe that any team will win the Cup with a 1-2 combo of Briere and Koivu down the middle. Either is great to have, but committing to both consigns you to long-term 'smurf' status and no hope in hell of beating a defence like Anaheim's or surviving the punishment of a long playoff run.

Fortunately this is not our only choice. What we should do instead is sign a good mid-range defenceman (Hannan, Preissing, Rafalski, there's a number available) and a good mid-range forward (Scott Hartnell is my preference by a mile). Forget Yashin. The problem at C has to be addressed through a trade IMHO - preferably of the *major* variety. In some ways, the biggest reason to hope we sign Souray is so he'll still be in our tacklebox at trade bait for a serious C.

Agreed pretty much with what you suggest about going for D first. I believe Gillet said in an interview that the team is going to be actively upgrading the D, and building from within for forwards. We have plenty of forward talent taht we can either develop to use here, or for a trade for a legit #1 C. We'll see what happens, but I'll be happy with an upgrade on D this off-season, as well as the shedding of Sammy, Aeby, Niniima, Murray, Downey (notice I'm not writing Bonk or Johnny cuz I wouldn't mind having Johnny bakc, and while I think we could get Bonk like play from some of our up and comers, I wouldn't be too upset if we picked him back up though. I doubt we will but it wouldn't kill me) and letting quite a few of our prospects on the farm graduate to the big club. I think that for the most part, our future is in Hamilton right now, not all over the league in the form of signings/trades.

Im not sure if I buy that thing with small players anymore. The NHL has changed and just look at Martin St. Louis who went undrafted. And Rafalski too!

Daniel Briere would probably do good in Montreal, but my guess is that he will be the most expensive player this summer.

Alexei Yashin... Can't stop thinking about it. Garth Snow has now made sure that the Islanders will pay two thirds of the contract they bought him out from. Yashin still makes a lot of money and if he openly says he wants to come to Montreal to play with friends then that should mean that he's willing to take a cut. Yashin to Montreal, one year contract at 1,5 Million?

He could be the bargain of the year if he can find chemistry with Samsonov and Kovalev. I don't know if it has been mentioned but Koivu and Yashin use to play hockey together in Åbo during summer and maybe Yashin can take another role in Montreal? He's also close friend with Andrei Markov and knows Kovalev.

Landing Yashin would also mean that the Habs can spend the money elsewhere. Signing Souray and maybe even another top 4-defenceman? Scott Hannan and Danny Markov?

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder

Samsonov - Yashin - Kovalev

Latendresse - Plekanec - Johnson

Kostitsyn - Begin - Perezhogin

Hannan - Souray

Markov - Markov

Dandenault - Komisarek

Huet

Halak

Out: Niinimaa, Bonk, Aebischer.

Resign: Souray and Johnson

Chipchura, Price, Valentenko, Boullion, Streit, Cote and Lapierre would be the call-ups.

That's a team I would love to see in October.

I don't see any reason not to take yashin cheap for one year only because he under-achieved before. All our underachievers go to other teams and become all-stars, and we sign samsonov off the stanley cup finalists oilers and we were all crazy about how he was gonna help us so much because he was proven talent and a reliable scorer etc etc. Yashin over Briere thank you very much.

Sun not out yet in Sweden, mate?

From a team that did not make the playoffs, you are adding Yashin plus two D.

You are breaking up the Higgins-Plecks-Kosty line that was clearly our best line by the end of the year, and re-uniting that stellar first line.

You are asking Boullion, Streit and Lapierre to be call-ups and have Perez magically turning down Russian millions to come back and play the fourth line.

You have a second line that looks like a conga line into tony Soprano's shrink's office.

Huet and Ryder are the trade bait. Souray leaves, Johnson as well, Sammy bought out. We try and get Hartnell and Preissing. Grabovsky, Chips, Kosty sr. up full time. Let the kids blossom.

Anyway, thank God we on this board are not Habs GM's.

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder

Samsonov - Yashin - Kovalev

Latendresse - Plekanec - Johnson

Kostitsyn - Begin - Perezhogin

Hannan - Souray

Markov - Markov

Dandenault - Komisarek

Huet

Halak

See this is the problem...

We want the young kids like Big #### and Latendress to become offensive forces for our team, yet people continue to propose keeping players like Sammy and Kovy and picking up guys like Yashin! How do you think Latendress will become that "power-forward" that we want if he is sitting on the checking line?? How do you expect Big #### to develop into that "superstar" that we want if he is playing with Begin?!?!? This is what I want to see next year...

Lats - Koivu - Kovy

Higgs - Pleks - Big ####

Hartnell (or prospect) - Chips - Ryder

Lapierre - Begin - Milroy

Markov - Komi

Markov - Gorges

Dandy - Bouillon

Huet

Halak

P.S. Perez is GONE....get used to it!

Are you double shifting markov? I agree with your thoughts and your lines cfposi. I would add a real goon to the 4th line RW in about 40 games.

Lol...I wish we could double shift Markov...next best thing tho...his brother!

That is annoying. Depending on what web page you visit, he either is or is not his brother.

The reality is he is not his brother although some dumb sites say he is.

Wow...I wondered why they don't look alike...my bad! He is still a decent defenceman anyways...good for the second pairing.

That is annoying. Depending on what web page you visit, he either is or is not his brother.

The reality is he is not his brother although some dumb sites say he is.

Haha yeah, I've spent ages looking that up (Jussi & Olli Jokinen too) and they aren't related, or at least not closely related.

The sun has fallen over Sweden hours ago but discussing hockey is never to late (even if the spelling thinks otherwise)

All I want is the Habs to make the playoffs and and make an impact. Do I think that will be with Briere in the team? No. Yashin? No, but perhaps he might be the best center available in late July and players that have exposed disire to play for a certain team tends to come cheap so Yashin might become "best available" in July and then its's nothing to discuss anymore.

Give it a shot! Nothing to lose!

I could care less right now :lol: If BOb keeps making moves like the ones he made today and we lose Souray for nothing, I'm liable not to even give a sh__ about losing Souray.

glbr2kb3.png

LONE RANGER BOb RULES!

higgins_79651.jpg

komisarek_habs170.jpg

If BOb keeps making moves like the ones he made today we won't need Yashin. We got Briere and Drury money now and if you minus Souray from the equation, we are armed to the teeth with money :clap: BOb sure put me in an excellent mood for this weekend.

Stay tuned: Up next; EMELIN :D

BOb

I could care less right now :lol: If BOb keeps making moves like the ones he made today and we lose Souray for nothing, I'm liable not to even give a sh__ about losing Souray.

glbr2kb3.png

LONE RANGER BOb RULES!

higgins_79651.jpg

komisarek_habs170.jpg

If BOb keeps making moves like the ones he made today we won't need Yashin. We got Briere and Drury money now and if you minus Souray from the equation, we are armed to the teeth with money :clap: BOb sure put me in an excellent mood for this weekend.

Stay tuned: Up next; EMELIN :D

BOb

Agreed about SS.

Like I said on another thread, 5,000,000 + for 26 goals and minus 28 ????

I like SS, but BOB should remind him that he is a DEFENCEMAN.

Markov and Komy ARE defencemen.

Edited by bigbird19

Agreed about SS.

Like I said on another thread, 5,000,000 + for 26 goals and minus 28 ????

I like SS, but BOB should remind him that he is a DEFENCEMAN.

Markov and Komy ARE defencemen.

IMO, anyone who says that Souray has more value than Komisarek is out of it.

One step backwards for Yashin coming to MTL ( due to Sammy being ousted )

I still would take Yashin for Kovalev's sake... but now Im not so sure Kovy will be with us... the reason we got sammy last year was for Kovy.. now everything is up for grabs.. get players for Koivu? for Kovy? for both? better yet were in a position to do so now! this makes the relevance of a thread of UFA's more interesting

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yashin at 1.5M is still better than Briere at 7M.

Though a defenceman like Rafalski or Timonen would be even better.

Samsonov didn't make Kovalev play better. So how would Yashin?

I hate Yashin. Hate may be a strong word, but if you ask me, he shouldn't even be in this league. He doesn't care at all. He shows no effort when he plays. For God sakes, if Ted Nolan can't motivate you, then who the hell can? He could have a rocket strapped to his back and he'd still be a floater. He's awful.

After yet another bad season, I really feel he should just count his dollars and go back to Russia. He has no reason to keep playing. He will be getting paid big money for the next 4-6 years for doing absolutely nothing. He doesn't want to play, so unless he is that greedy (wouldn't surprise me if he is) and decides to vacuum another team of their money, he really should call it quits.

Again, Ted Nolan, the ultimate in motivational coaches, couldn't get him to actually show a little effort. God knows Carbonneau won't be able to either. Why even suggest it? No Yashin. Please, no.