Hilarious ESPN NHL Draft Day Blog

les_glorieux

6:03: Hmmmm ... the Rangers already had a sweater ready with Cherepanov's name on the back. That's a little fishy. How did they know a top-five guy would slip to No. 17? If Esposito "drops" to the Penguins at No. 20, we'll have moved right into the Fishy Zone -- two marquee teams "fortunately" getting two marquee prospects? Even David Stern wouldn't have been this blatant. Then again, this would mean Bettman is working to make the league better and more interesting. Scratch that thought

See PTG ... Bettman is making the league better ! :lol:

btw that was a very funny read .. good find les_glorieux :)

I dunno. Like I've said before if he would just allow teams to move to Canada and admit he his idea of conquering the south and southwest for hockey hasn't worked. He'd be fine in my books.

"Ladies and gentleman, we're coming off another wonderful season highlighted by the most damaging TV contract in professional sports history and a finals between an obscure Canadian team and the 357th biggest market in the United States. And now, we're about to introduce a 5-foot-9 American kid who's built like Bailey from "Party of Five" as our first pick. I couldn't be happier -- 15 years ago, David Stern sent me to the NHL to ruin this league and I have delivered in spades. Thank you, thank you very much. Thank you, you're too kind. And now, the 2007 draft!"

my thoughts exactly.

Uhmmm I dont get it

read til 4:52 pm or something then skipped to the habs part and got bored out of my mind!

thats dry humor (funny I've been told I have a dry humor) aint to funny to me

Extra Stupid Pinhead Network

I took a quick look and didnt get by the first paragraph without laughing what an IDIOT this guy is.

He should of started his dribble like this:

Hi, I am a nobody with nothing to do so I will comment on something I know nothing about. I think I will pick on everything hockey to prove that I am not a small minded pion on a sports network that just sucks. We at ESPN are radically different that you know nothing and I know everything....

What a bunch of usual crap from the most overrated and useless network on the planet. It ranks right up there with most Toronto sports media where self importance is more meaningful than good journalism....

I expected something funny.

Fair enough guys. I think it's OK to laugh at yourselves sometimes though...

Even tho it wasnt exactly my cup of tea... I do appreciate the find and in no way should any comments here detract from anyone posting more links like these!

Thanks Les Glorieux! ^_^

A little glad I'm not the only one here with those feelings, I figured I would've been told to shut up and get a sense of humor. :lol:

An American sitting around talking about a sport he clearly doesn't follow and how ridiculous Canadians talk just isn't humor to me. The shot at Calgary got me too.

Even tho it wasnt exactly my cup of tea... I do appreciate the find and in no way should any comments here detract from anyone posting more links like these!

Thanks Les Glorieux! ^_^

Agreed, posting links like this is all good. Not everyone will like everything. :)

"5:03: On the clock at No. 7, the hometown Blue Jackets! This might be the lowest moment of my life: I'm actually excited to see who they take here. As the crowd chants "Let's go Jack-ets [clap clap clap-clap-clap]," their GM tells them in a monotone voice, "Thank you ... what a fantastic day in Columbus." It really ranks right up there. They take European winger Jakub Voracek, who hopefully won't get corrupted by the Columbus night life. Keep your fingers crossed for him. "

I'm actually loving it.... Trying not to laugh out loud, and I'm a very proud canadian and all, but this is funny! Thanks for posting.

My fav part: "Not only is Angelo a playmaking center, he has the most Italian-sounding sports name since Vinny Testaverde. Angelo Esposito!?!?!?!? David Chase would have turned that name down in the Sopranos' writers room for being "too over-the-top."

Edited by ShortHanded

I am with you 100%

I'm not sure what it is all about ("ah-boot") but I would like to pee in his eye and shat in his arrogant mouth.

you never heard of the mocking of 300 million americans on Canadians?

To the stupid american canadians talk funny and its been a lets make fun of Canadians pastime for hundred plus years.

You won't believe for example how the war of 1812 is taught. It was the invading evil british forces trying to kill us and we attacked them back and beat them and took all the glory.

Personally, I thought it was pretty funny. And that's not me being a "stupid American", I can recognize satire when I read it.

I seem to remember most people here thinking "Borat" was hilarious and brilliant comedy. I guess if it was "Borat watches the hockey draft" it would then be insulting.

Personally, I thought it was pretty funny. And that's not me being a "stupid American", I can recognize satire when I read it.

I seem to remember most people here thinking "Borat" was hilarious and brilliant comedy. I guess if it was "Borat watches the hockey draft" it would then be insulting.

I agree. If Borat was "brilliant comedy," then this article should at least be funny. If highly offensive = brilliant comedy, then mildy offensive ought to at least get a laugh.

Yeah, probably. Going for the "hypocrite" angle, I assume?

I think so. Personally, I'm offended by Borat because it's not about my own culture, so I can't attack it and assume it's okay to attack. This, on the other hand, is taking pretty mild shots (IMHO) at hockey and at Canada, aka, my culture, and I'm amused. I understand if others aren't though... to each his own sense of humour.

I don't like stereotypes. Although I found the article funny read the youtube comments under the hockey clip he linked to. The fact that organ-I-zation is the correct way to say the word and is taught in all english classes outside of the states shows ignorance on the american public. Its not just a canadian thing. Its the proper way to say the word.

Just like my ex-friend (now anyways) gets angry and yells at me when I spell color colour. He tells me not to be 'euro' and says I'm a pathetic american who's a traitor.

So really its the americans that have the issues. Who the ###### really cares how you say words differently? Ignorance. I know Bill Simmons knows the difference but the sheep who read the articles get the impression that only canadians say it that way. Which again is completely false. As a joke for my vancouver friends I said I was going to buy them a Canadian dictionary because they were writing everything in American english.

Its cheap humour that smart people understand but the dumb folks then think everyone is like that because they never leave their state and their world view is narrow.

I believe you can only make fun of cultures and countries that you have ties to.

For example I can make fun of country folks, americans, southerners, conservatives, germans, hungarians because that's me. Those are my cultural links.

Of course Americans speak American English. Candians speak Canadian English. The British speak British English. The Mexicans speak Mexican Spanish. It's called dialect. Spaniards laugh at the way Mexicans speak and the French scoff at the way Quebecois speak. It's asinine for you to bash Americans for speaking the way they do and thinking it's funny when people say words differently.

P.S. I just looked in three different dictionaries and all have organization pronounced with "ah" sound rather than an "eye" sound.

I believe you can only make fun of cultures and countries that you have ties to.

For example I can make fun of country folks, americans, southerners, conservatives, germans, hungarians because that's me. Those are my cultural links.

Ok, so that would mean Borat (Cohen) can make fun of Jews, but that it shouldn't be funny to you because you're not Jewish. But you are right in a way. For example, it's no problem when black people use the word "######" etc.

Ok, so that would mean Borat (Cohen) can make fun of Jews, but that it shouldn't be funny to you because you're not Jewish. But you are right in a way. For example, it's no problem when black people use the word "######" etc.

I have no problem Cohen making fun of jews since he's jews but Borat is for a smarter audience. The language he uses for example is yiddish or hebrew and when he's talking to his croney in Borats native language he's talking in either yiddish or hebrew. A smart person would see that its satire and would see the funny parallels in the movie. But a person who isn't as well educated would start to use it as a stereotype.

Maybe I read too much into the article.

It seemed to me that the author was inferring that Canadians are dumb because of the way we talk, retired hockey players are dumb because of the way they look, NHL fans are dumb because they are NHL fans, Canadian sports journalists are dumb because of the way they report and look.

The fact that the author is an American really doesn't matter.

Maybe I read too much into the article.

It seemed to me that the author was inferring that Canadians are dumb because of the way we talk, retired hockey players are dumb because of the way they look, NHL fans are dumb because they are NHL fans, Canadian sports journalists are dumb because of the way they report and look.

The fact that the author is an American really doesn't matter.

You've just discovered these stereotypes? :blink: