Habs Sign Brisebois

InsaneHABSfan

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankly I see neither why Bob would bring him back, nor why he'd want to come back himself. When the Avs was in town last, he got boo'd almost as much as Theodore.

Generally speaking, I don't usually believe in bringing players back anyway. I don't know why, I just don't.

If they really did offer him a contract this is a very bad sign IMO.... it means the team management have no confidence in the current D corp if they're willing to bring Brisebois back.

the only way it makes any sense at all is if BG is shipping out 2 or more D men.

That would give us something like..

Markov - Komi

Harmlik - Streit

Brisebois - Rookie 1

Rookie 2

That would give us something like..

Markov - Komi

Harmlik - Streit

Brisebois - Rookie 1

Rookie 2

I don't love it, but I could fathom it.

I wouldn't put Rookie 2 as 7th (unless rookie 2 is Cote)

Perhaps Brisebois is 7th, perhaps platooning with streit so that streit can play some 4th line against finesse teams. Wouldn't be a huge fan of the move, but I could sorta understand it.

PS - don't discount the idea that perhaps BG deals away some D men as a package to get a better D man.

Now you would have something like

Markov - Komi

Hamrlik - New Guy

Streit - O'Byrne/Valentenko

Brisebois

that I would actually really dig

EDIT: on second thought that last scenario seems a bit fanboyish

Edited by simonus

I like the theory that this is a move to prepare for a deal involving a D-man. (Komisarek in a trade to SJ for Marleau? Just wild speculation).

However, on its own terms I don't think it's a horrible way to add NHL-quality depth to the blueline. Gainey seems to have a policy of building maximum depth at all positions. Brisebois is obviously on his last legs *but* he was never as bad as Montreal fans believed. The issue with Brisebois was that he was a #3-4 defenceman being asked to play the role of NUMBER ONE defenceman on an abysmal team. Obviously, that left him grotesquely exposed (to say nothing of the infamous season when he was the league's worst +/- after being asked to play on his wrong side for the whole season because the team had no one else). In fact, on his own terms Brisebois has been a decent-to-good puck-moving defenceman and PP guy in the NHL. As long as he isn't asked to do too much, he could bring could be a very useful short-term asset. And he is a link to the last Cup.

Gainey probably has a healthy skepticism about the minutes that rookies on D can carry. Plus, Streit may be conceived more as a rotating forward/defender.

That Carbo and Muller, both of whom played with Brisebois, presumably signed off on the move also speaks to the respect he has among his peers, who are champions.

All told, I don't think this would be a bad move purely in hockey terms.

Maybe.....Just maybe..............................If his ice time is limited to offensive opportunities this could work. I'm more stunned than anything as I feel bad for the player as he will get Booed and probably does not deserve it now. Oh how the Leafies are laughing as Habs resign old players to retire at their cottage like Leafies do... :blink:

I too, fall into the camp that hopes that this potential signing is just a first step to a larger trade that will benefit the team. In any case, I don't want to see Breezy playing much more than a 5-6 D-man's ice-time, with some PP time. I think in this limited capacity, Breezy woulnd't be *much* of a liability in his own end, and might serve well as an on-ice coach for the younger lads.

I'm definitely hoping for a big trade scenario. :D

PS - How sad is it that apparently only Brisebois will sign in MTL?

My problem with this is that we're stocking up on the 5-7th D's again. I hope there's some sort of move coming as you all say. I like Breezer, but I hope the fans aren't cruel to him again. Last time, he got heart murmurs from all the booing.

This is actually not that bad of a move at all. At 700,000 he is a pretty good bargain, as a good 5-6 dman. He is no weaker on D than Souray was, in fact if he could score 30 goals a year we'd be offering him in the 5.5 million range.

1. Not 'only Brisebois' will sign here. Hamrlik and Smolinski did too - not to mention Markov - and that's just this summer. We had to beat Johnson and Gelinas away with a stick. According to the Hockey News poll, we're tied with Colorado for 6th most desirable location among NHL players. It's time to lay this self-flagellating myth that Montreal is poison to rest. This signing has nothing to do with UFA desperation by the Habs.

2. If the fans boo Brisebois again, they are just plain assholes. Montreal fans used to be known for their class rather than for their irrational viciousness - what happened? He should be welcomed back graciously and then judged on his on-ice performance, in his new role, not for his performance when he was (ridiculously) expected to be the number one defenceman on an AHL team trapped in the wrong league.

3. This moves costs us nothing but 700 grand. The parallel with the Leafs is just paranoid. Beezer knows the city, won a Cup here, has been through the absolute best and worst of hockey in Montreal. There's something to be said for bringing that experience back here, in a more modest role.

4. In purely hockey terms:

-Brisebois would make a decent 5th-7th defenceman assuming he's healthy;

-assuming he hasn't totally lost his old skills, then unlike many of our D, he can move the puck forward fairly effectively;

-and he could still be a reasonably valuable element on the PP, which is likely to suffer from the departure of Souray. Rather than cross his fingers on Hamrlik, Bob is acquiring another D-man with considerable PP experience.

I really don't see what the problem is. This isn't 2000. We have some good talent and are a competitive team, despite our glaring weaknesses. It's a depth move with a nice possible upside in terms of institutional culture and developing youth. Get over the Houle era, people.

Guys, at $700,000, he's cheaper than both Dendenault and Bouillion by more than half. Hell, that's just a bit more than Mark Streit.

And as InsaneAVSFan pointed out, less responsibility will allow him to focus on offense, which is exactly the problem he had before he left Montreal, when he was about our best defenseman (oh man, that was a long time ago).

I personally wouldn't mind him playing 10-12 minutes and manning the point on the 2nd PP unit. I personally don't think O'Byrne is ready for full time playing, and he'll get his chance as injuries hit during the season.

But yeah, I'd prefer Dandenault and/or Bouillion traded before taking on any more defensemen.

Never been a big fan of Brisebois.

However how many right handed defenseman do we have ready for next year??

Komisarek, Dandenault, O'byrne, Biron, NCAA guys.

Cepek, PK Subban and Fisher are righty's.

But last year Dandenault was awful, O'byrne i have enormous respect for the guy but

he should't play every game, still has a lot to learn.

So were stuck with waiting for a prospect to be ready or a fill in.

It's a cheap fill in.

Brisebois and Markov always worked good together.

Show class and he won the 93 cup with us so why not?

But we have 49 players under contract ? Ryder signing next week or so ?

I suspect a french media pitch for a summer news.

At $700K?

That would be a coup for Bob. Guy who can put in quality PP minutes and who, when his ice time is carefully monitored, can actually bring some quality play to the game. Very good first pass. Still a strong skater. With minimized ice time against opposing top lines, he makes a very good 5, 6 guy - and a superb 7 guy. And the price? Not even double the league minimum which would make him one of the lowest paid players on the team and offers the club the ability to make many more moves from the back end.

Not to mention he's a guy who's 'been there' and knows what it takes to win.

If the reported price is right, this is a 'can't go wrong scenario.' Any and all boo-birds should be evicted, their season ticket offered to someone with class.

At $700K?

That would be a coup for Bob. Guy who can put in quality PP minutes and who, when his ice time is carefully monitored, can actually bring some quality play to the game. Very good first pass. Still a strong skater. With minimized ice time against opposing top lines, he makes a very good 5, 6 guy - and a superb 7 guy. And the price? Not even double the league minimum which would make him one of the lowest paid players on the team and offers the club the ability to make many more moves from the back end.

If the reported price is right, this is a 'can't go wrong scenario.' Any and all boo-birds should be evicted, their season ticket offered to someone with class.

:clap:

My thoughts exactly. Seriously - and I hate(d) Breezer.

At $700K?

I agree also let's remember that when the "fans" were booing breezer it was gainey who stood up for him and told the fans to shut and not come to the games if they don't like the players. In the end I think that gainey had no choice but to trade him as the pressure on him got to be toooo bad. It is time to let all of the sht go and give the guy a chance He always bled rouge et blue and deserves a chance to retire as a canadien

I agree also let's remember that when the "fans" were booing breezer it was gainey who stood up for him and told the fans to shut and not come to the games if they don't like the players. In the end I think that gainey had no choice but to trade him as the pressure on him got to be toooo bad. It is time to let all of the sht go and give the guy a chance He always bled rouge et blue and deserves a chance to retire as a canadien

Before anyone gets too excited or not. Breeze-by was making a lot of money up untill now. What makes anyone think he would even take this offer? After all he went through in Montreal he could look at this as a big time insult and would sooner retire then come back and deal with the bullshit in Montreal. Now if he is finacially strapped he just might do it. If I was him, I'd flip everyone the bird and get on with the next chapter of my life after hockey. Don't get me wrong, at 700K he could help this team, but the fans and media are worse then ever. I hope he's developed a thick ass skin because it would be a long season that's for sure.

Edited by SAKS-AVENUE

If we sign Breezer im happy...look at it this way he brings some kind of scorin and i dont think his defense was much worse then Souray's. Hes coming cheap, experianced dman, knows the city and know how to win.

nice job bob to offer him a contract :clap: Very classy of him also.

Hes coming cheap, experianced dman, knows the city...

What city .. . Paris? ^_^ Brisebois back would be very, very weird -- but who knows, maybe the gamble pays off?

"In Bob we trust"