Is it time to trade Saku?

Habsfan

Trading Koivu isn't an option unless we get SOLID youth returns. Those returns would have to be and LIKELY turn out to be bona-fide prospects that won't be ready to help our team yet.

It's clear that this team needs Koivu plus an elite player. I don't see how acquiring an elite player minus Koivu helps.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trading Koivu isn't an option unless we get SOLID youth returns. Those returns would have to be and LIKELY turn out to be bona-fide prospects that won't be ready to help our team yet.

It's clear that this team needs Koivu plus an elite player. I don't see how acquiring an elite player minus Koivu helps.

The reality of the cap worlds means Koivu's salary needs to be dumped to acquire a number-one centre and a scoring winger. Koivu as a second centre at his price just isn't plausible.

The reality of the cap worlds means Koivu's salary needs to be dumped to acquire a number-one centre and a scoring winger. Koivu as a second centre at his price just isn't plausible.
Well, whatever it is. It'd better be darned good. Dumping players can be considered a sideways move. We'd better get a Claude Lemieux for Muller type deal or forget it IMO. Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

Ok...that makes sense.

But what if he doesn't have any intention of waving his no-trade clause for the team we get the best offer from? What if stripping him of the C is the only thing that makes him so anxious to leave that he'll go pretty much anywhere just to get out of Montreal? Just speculating here, of course.

Well...I certainly don't favour driving Koivu out of Montreal on a rail. We've had enough of that. And it sends a terrible signal to any potential UFAs out there, too. The last thing we need is to act in ways that make Montreal look like a crazy circus of an organization. We're still residual combatting image problems from the Houle years, for God's sake.

Anyway, the point is not to get Koivu the hell off the team, but to bring in an offensive catalyst who doesn't disappear for 1/4 of every season. I agree that it would depend entirely on the return and that that return would have to be a C like Marleau - a significantly younger, but proven performer, at least as good as Saks offensively, acquired from a team that is willing to part with such a player because it sees Koivu as a key to a deep playoff drive. And a team that Koivu would be willing to join because it gives him a chance to win. The only option I can see out there that might work is Marleau, at this point. But something else could come up, who knows...the full palette of options may not be clear until closer to trading deadline, if ever.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

If you trade Saku, we might as well give up on the season...he is the only player that has consistently scored on this team since his cancer! Why trade him! His value cannot be matched in a trade!

I tried saying this on canadiens.com but got suspended for using the alternative word for poop that everyone uses that rhymes with hit. RDS is poop no doubt about it. They dont bring aything to the team and seek to destroy ther chemistry all together. It really is sad because Saku tries his heart out, he is leading in points and playing amazing, then the "SAKU DOESNT SPEAK FRENCH!!!!" comes out, he has not played the same since, I think he is getting frusterated that he gives soooo much for the city, and they shoot him down! WTF is that!?!?!?!?!

I think everyone on RDS needs to go, bring in some people that know what they are talking about, half of the reason the team struggles is because ans demand at least 5 french Canadians on the team, but the only problem is that french canadian players "dont" want to player here. They would rather play in Philadelphia or teams that they wont get flak if they have one bad game.

No Saku = no MTL canadien period

you know, the canadiens existed before saku...and they used to win cups even if the last 2 were lucky. so stop saying that he's the best thing since sliced bread...HE'S the 79th best scorer in the league. some players have more point on worse teams so I wont take the excuse that saku doesnt have players to play with.

If you trade Saku, we might as well give up on the season...he is the only player that has consistently scored on this team since his cancer! Why trade him! His value cannot be matched in a trade!

I tried saying this on canadiens.com but got suspended for using the alternative word for poop that everyone uses that rhymes with hit. RDS is poop no doubt about it. They dont bring aything to the team and seek to destroy ther chemistry all together. It really is sad because Saku tries his heart out, he is leading in points and playing amazing, then the "SAKU DOESNT SPEAK FRENCH!!!!" comes out, he has not played the same since, I think he is getting frusterated that he gives soooo much for the city, and they shoot him down! WTF is that!?!?!?!?!

I think everyone on RDS needs to go, bring in some people that know what they are talking about, half of the reason the team struggles is because ans demand at least 5 french Canadians on the team, but the only problem is that french canadian players "dont" want to player here. They would rather play in Philadelphia or teams that they wont get flak if they have one bad game.

No Saku = no MTL canadien period

This has got to be one of the lousiest replies i've read on these boards.

First of all, RDS is not the station that first complained about koivu not Speaking french. You can thank the idiots over at 110% for that(Jean Pagé, Michel Bergeron, Marc Bureau, Jean Perron). Secondly, out of all the french media outlets in Montreal, i find that RDS is the only one that at least tries to be objective in their remarks.... Unlike other media outlets. Thirdly, Saku is not the leader in points on this team...In case you haven'T been folowing this season, Alex Kovalev is the points leader, and Saku definitely HAS NOT been playing good hockey of late. He doesn'T skate, and word out on the street(according to the reporters who follow the team on a daily basis) is that he is not motivated)!

Don'T get me wrong, i like Saku, but if we can get something decent in return for our smallish Captain, i would make the deal!

Edited by Habsfan

What i would like to bring to the table is Koivu is not responsable for this team lack of depth at the

centre position. It has never been a top priority to get a offensive centre at the draft. Except once with Higgins

and they made the mistake of converting into a winger.

He didn't beg for the 5.5 million contract, Gillet and Gainey made this decision.

He asked management to bring in help offensively at the end of the year.

They brought Smolinski, Kostopolos and Lahti.

Most of his close friends were thrown out of town, he probably has more contact with old teammates

than his actual. People who stood by with him when he had problems.

He is clearly bummed out, his pride has been touch and it clearly affects his play on the ice.

Now, he has two way to go, or he take leadership of this player group in Montreal or he leaves

for a greener lawn, San Jose has some.

Most of his close friends were thrown out of town, he probably has more contact with old teammates

than his actual. People who stood by with him when he had problems.

if so, it is unacceptable. as a team captain you need to know every players on the team and at least have a little contact with each and everyone.

players get traded, its part of the game. if a player can't deal with it. it shows a major lack of caracter.

He is paid WAY to much and takes up alot of capspace.

He wont get any better, he is getting old.

At the moment Kovalev is alot more worth his paycheck. At the moment the heart of this team isnt working very well and it might be time to do a transplant before its to late.

Before the worth of Koivu gets to low.

It will hurt ALOT if/when it happens but it might get a good return. At least if we wait with trading until the deadline. Id say Koivu can bring in as much as Forsberg did last year for the Flyers.

He is paid WAY to much and takes up alot of capspace.

At the moment Kovalev is alot more worth his paycheck. At the moment the heart of this team isnt working very well and it might be time to do a transplant before its to late.

First, Koivu really isn't getting paid that much. Since the lockout, a 4.75 million salary has become that of a 2nd line type of player, even more since last summer where guys like Gomez and Drury (who aren't really better Koivu) have hit the jackpot and where Hartnell got over 4 millions as well. In a way, without taking his current slump into consideration, he's become somewhat of a bargain.

Second, I don't how Kovalev his worth his paycheck that much more right now. Even though he's playing his best hockey in a long time, his getting the same ice time, arguably better linemates, and definitaly more line stability... he's only got a lousy 2 point lead over Saku Koivu, who's in a major slump right now.

With that said, I'm begining to think that it could be time to trade Saku Koivu for his own sake, and to change the leadership within this organization. Koivu has not been the same player since the lockout, and I think it's all psychological. I think he's had enough of losing in this organisation, which cost him a potentially great NHL carrer by giving him subpar support ever since he became the captain. It seems to me that he's lost his motivation, and a chage in scenery could revive his career.

Also, the fact that all his "friends" have left isn't helping, especially with Rivet being as happy as he's ever been since joining the San Jose Sharks. Sure, winning in Montreal is probably one of the best feelings a player can get... but Koivu has been losing ever since he signed he got here... that just can't be easy or even healthy. It's not his fault, Rejean Houle messed up big time while neither Savard nor Gainey have been able to complete the reconstruction process.

Ideally, I'd say let's keep Koivu (especially since we probably won't can the same value in return), and get him more support, but it could be too late for him to ever find that spark again...

That's between Gainey and Koivu ... and apparently a few thousand garrulous fools!

Keep spinning your wheels in aimless chatter :clap: If you talk about enough things often enough, eventually you will be right a few times; hope it makes you as happy as a broken clock!

LOL, I have heard some lousier comments like Koivu isnt motivated....that is alot lousier than anything I said. I also know that Kovalev has been leading in points, but look at his linemates as well, he has had consisten line mates for the last 12-15 games in kosty and Plex while Koivus line changes on a game to game basis, is there any such thing as chemistry????

Koivu is not the problem...the problem is having a converted defenceman on his Right hand side who cant score.

Please dont call my post lousy because it is far from it. Great there was a team of the past (where are they now?)...last I saw that team is gone now, and this team "in the present" (since I need to be soooo specific) is nothing without Koivu in terms of leadership and work ethic...which "FRENCH" media buzz says he lacks work ethic, but dont the "FRENCH" media want him out because they need a French superstar who will be captain and they think Saku is the only one that can pull that guy into MTL.

If you want to see a problem right now, its time to look at lats who has become the new FrenchMedia circle jerk so to speak. I like Guillame, but I think he is just a tad too slow right now for the NHL level and he is not getting any flak simply because he is French. But who knows! Maybe try Lats on the right wing!

P.S I have absolutley nothing against French Canadians, I just think that the French Media has ruined the team's chemistry year after year. Last year it was the whole Kovalev thing that at the time of year we were at and with our struggles we really did not need.

anyway, take my post for what you will, if it is indeed "LOUSY" thenI am sorry, please send me some tips on how to post an unlousy post in a forum. I speak whats on my mind and sometimes this offends people, but I really find it hard to beleive that Saku has been seen as the problem when he is only 3 points back of Kovalev "all mighty godly leading scorer of this team" who is getting nothing, even though he hasnt register a point in a couple games!

LOL, I have heard some lousier comments like Koivu isnt motivated....that is alot lousier than anything I said.

What are you? 15 years old? Had you read my comment you wold have realized that I'm not the one saying that Koivu lacks motivation lately, but the reporters who follow the team(and Koivu) on a daliy basis! :rolleyes:

I also know that Kovalev has been leading in points, but look at his linemates as well, he has had consisten line mates for the last 12-15 games in kosty and Plex while Koivus line changes on a game to game basis, is there any such thing as chemistry????

Saku has been playing with Higgins for most of the Season, and I'd say higgins is a pretty damn good player(just as good as Plex). IN case you hadn't noticed, Kostitsyn isn'T exactly lighting it up! He has 4 goals and 6 assists for 10 points. Which is the same as Ryder!

which "FRENCH" media buzz says he lacks work ethic, but dont the "FRENCH" media want him out because they need a French superstar who will be captain and they think Saku is the only one that can pull that guy into MTL.

Before saying something, do you ever verify your sources? I guess not! Get Your facts straight. I don't know if you live in Montreal, but lately it's not the French media who has been wondering if Koivu should be traded, but the people over at the Team 990 (the ENGLISH MEDIA!!Oh My GOD!!!! :rolleyes: ) Elliot Price and Shawn Star have been talking about this all week!

If you want to see a problem right now, its time to look at lats who has become the new FrenchMedia circle jerk so to speak. I like Guillame, but I think he is just a tad too slow right now for the NHL level and he is not getting any flak simply because he is French. But who knows! Maybe try Lats on the right wing!

once again, you don't make much sense! AS far as I'm concerned, I think that Latendresse is doing OK. He's not doing incredibly well, but he isn't the major problem on this Team. And in case you didn't know, he does have 7 goals. For somebody who plays about 12 minutes per game mostly on the 3rd and 4th lines and is in his 2nd season in the NHL at age 20, i'd say that it's decent. If he keeps it up, he'll score 20 goals this year. Which is pretty damn good for a kid on this team!

P.S I have absolutley nothing against French Canadians, I just think that the French Media has ruined the team's chemistry year after year. Last year it was the whole Kovalev thing that at the time of year we were at and with our struggles we really did not need.

I'm sure you have nothing against French Candians :rolleyes: , just like I have nothing against people who say just about anything, even though most of it isn't based on facts and is more often than not wrong!!! I just find them annoying. To say that the French media is the reason why the Canadiens have sucked for the past decade is simply....what's the word i,m looking for????...it's simply IGNORANT! As if the media decides what moves Bob Gainey makes! I suppose it's the media's fault that the Scouts didn't make any decent draft picks in the mid and late 90's? I suppose it's the media's fault that Peanut(Réjean Houle) sucked at his job and ruined this team?!

I guess it's the media's fault in Toronto that the maple Leafs suck this year? To say that the media is the reason why the Habs sucks is just stupid! Check out the media who follow the Yankees in New-York or the Toronto Media when it comes to the Leaves, then you might realize that the media in Montreal isn't that bad! Have you seen what happenned last week in Toronto. Newspapers had lists of replacements for JFJr in their papers and the poor guy hadn't even been fired yet. You'll never see that here!

"I speak whats on my mind and sometimes this offends people"

Maybe you should think about what you are about to post, before posting it!?!

"but I really find it hard to beleive that Saku has been seen as the problem when he is only 3 points back of Kovalev"

Well seeing as Koivu has scored ONE goal in his last 17 games (and has 6 assists over the same span) i'd say he's in a major slump that seems to occur every year! I'm not saying he's the biggest problem on the team, i'm just saying that he's not playing like he usually does, and that the Habs might consider trading him...IF the offer is good enough!

"of Kovalev "all mighty godly leading scorer of this team" who is getting nothing, even though he hasnt register a point in a couple games!"

Once again, you should get your facts in order. Kovalev has 5 points in his last 6 games. He did get an assist in the loss to Carolina on Saturday!!! It's Nothing to get excited about, but it's better than what Koivu has done lately!

Just for the record, i have no problems discussing with somebody who disagrees with me, or who feels strongly about a certain player or issue. What I find annoying is when people start making up stories and all kinds of ridiculous claims without having any proof or facts to back up their stories! ;):D

Edited by Habsfan

I'm sorry if i was rude, but if everyone starts saying anything about anything...it could get messy in here. And I wouldn't want that. I kinda like it here! ;):D :ghg: :bow:

Mike Boone reports:

http://www.habsinsideout.com/node/1635

And the game is being played against the backdrop of a hot trade rumour. TSN's Bob McKenzie, hockey's most plugged-in pundit, says Bob Gainey is talking to San Jose general manager Doug Wilson.

The names being bandied about: Saku Koivu and Michael Ryder to the Sharks for Patrick Marleau and Steve Bernier.

Gainey and Wilson have done buisness before. Last season's swap – Craig Rivet for Josh Gorges and the draft pick that Canadiens used to get Max Pacioretty – worked out to the satisfaction of both clubs.

Any deal involving Koivu would be a blockbuster.

Say it ain't so.

They were talking about thsi rumour on Team 990 and CKAC Sports this evening!

I say go for it. WE not only would finally get a big centre, but we would get younger and much bigger up front with Bernier and Marleau!

Edited by Habsfan

Something has to be done, and this is as good as it's gonna get. Go Bob go!!

Having said that, it will hurt like hell to see Saks go. Nonetheless my views on this are pretty clear - I've been pushing a Koivu-Marleau deal for weeks :hockey:

It's pretty obvious that Saku can't handle drawing the other team's top checkers/defenders anymore. Every time he lines up, it's an uphill battle.

It's sad. I had held out hope for a long time there'd be a happy ending with Saku in Montreal. It just wasn't to be.

I have my doubts about this rumor, as I have for every rumor.

What are you? 15 years old? Had you read my comment you wold have realized that I'm not the one saying that Koivu lacks motivation lately, but the reporters who follow the team(and Koivu) on a daliy basis! :rolleyes:

Saku has been playing with Higgins for most of the Season, and I'd say higgins is a pretty damn good player(just as good as Plex). IN case you hadn't noticed, Kostitsyn isn'T exactly lighting it up! He has 4 goals and 6 assists for 10 points. Which is the same as Ryder!

Before saying something, do you ever verify your sources? I guess not! Get Your facts straight. I don't know if you live in Montreal, but lately it's not the French media who has been wondering if Koivu should be traded, but the people over at the Team 990 (the ENGLISH MEDIA!!Oh My GOD!!!! :rolleyes: ) Elliot Price and Shawn Star have been talking about this all week!

once again, you don't make much sense! AS far as I'm concerned, I think that Latendresse is doing OK. He's not doing incredibly well, but he isn't the major problem on this Team. And in case you didn't know, he does have 7 goals. For somebody who plays about 12 minutes per game mostly on the 3rd and 4th lines and is in his 2nd season in the NHL at age 20, i'd say that it's decent. If he keeps it up, he'll score 20 goals this year. Which is pretty damn good for a kid on this team!

I'm sure you have nothing against French Candians :rolleyes: , just like I have nothing against people who say just about anything, even though most of it isn't based on facts and is more often than not wrong!!! I just find them annoying. To say that the French media is the reason why the Canadiens have sucked for the past decade is simply....what's the word i,m looking for????...it's simply IGNORANT! As if the media decides what moves Bob Gainey makes! I suppose it's the media's fault that the Scouts didn't make any decent draft picks in the mid and late 90's? I suppose it's the media's fault that Peanut(Réjean Houle) sucked at his job and ruined this team?!

I guess it's the media's fault in Toronto that the maple Leafs suck this year? To say that the media is the reason why the Habs sucks is just stupid! Check out the media who follow the Yankees in New-York or the Toronto Media when it comes to the Leaves, then you might realize that the media in Montreal isn't that bad! Have you seen what happenned last week in Toronto. Newspapers had lists of replacements for JFJr in their papers and the poor guy hadn't even been fired yet. You'll never see that here!

"I speak whats on my mind and sometimes this offends people"

Maybe you should think about what you are about to post, before posting it!?!

"but I really find it hard to beleive that Saku has been seen as the problem when he is only 3 points back of Kovalev"

Well seeing as Koivu has scored ONE goal in his last 17 games (and has 6 assists over the same span) i'd say he's in a major slump that seems to occur every year! I'm not saying he's the biggest problem on the team, i'm just saying that he's not playing like he usually does, and that the Habs might consider trading him...IF the offer is good enough!

"of Kovalev "all mighty godly leading scorer of this team" who is getting nothing, even though he hasnt register a point in a couple games!"

Once again, you should get your facts in order. Kovalev has 5 points in his last 6 games. He did get an assist in the loss to Carolina on Saturday!!! It's Nothing to get excited about, but it's better than what Koivu has done lately!

Just for the record, i have no problems discussing with somebody who disagrees with me, or who feels strongly about a certain player or issue. What I find annoying is when people start making up stories and all kinds of ridiculous claims without having any proof or facts to back up their stories! ;):D

There is no way I'm reading that long ass post. Too bad, there might be some interestiing stuff in it. ^_^

What I find discouraging about the whole Saku thing is that every year Saku slows down or slumps for about a month. Maybe more. That is exactly when the team slumps too. It would be nice to have a team with the depth and character to overcome obstacles like this. Do I think that we should trade Saku. No. Having said that, everything is for sale, If the right deal comes along.

I think that the rest of the team needs to pick it up during this time and earn their dough.

As to all the line changes, didn't Lats look pretty strong on the first line? He should learn to play the right side.