Is it time to trade Saku?

Habsfan

"Well seeing as Koivu has scored ONE goal in his last 17 games"

:wacko: isnt koivu a playmaker....he only scores at most 20 goals a season and he always has a slump like this?

Kostitsyn might not be lighten it up, but what do you think is more consistent...a guy on ur line every game, every shift...or having the right side inconsistent every game and always filled by converted Defenceman...or a guy who has nooooo idea how to play anymore in Ryder!

But whatever, ridicule my posts anytime, it really doesnt affect me, ill just keep coming back, I did it during my hockey days and I do it now! Its how I feel, and no one can change this!

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are preaching to choir. I think that if Koivu had a good right winger, he could make him look good sometimes when he needs it. You missed my point. What I meant was that if a player slows down, it's up to other players on the team to take some of the weight so he can find his feet again. Higgins is no problem, but he is a work horse like Smythe. Ryder's shot release was so important to that line.

Well, looks like this trade rumour was just that, false gossip.

Mike Boone mentioned it on his blog, claiming McKenzie said that. McKenzie never said anything like that, so Boone's removed it from his blog.

Spector only had it up because he saw that Boone mentioned it...and he hasn't updated his site yet, so it's not gone.

There you go, the synopsis of how easily a rumour travels around the internet.

Well, looks like this trade rumour was just that, false gossip.

Mike Boone mentioned it on his blog, claiming McKenzie said that. McKenzie never said anything like that, so Boone's removed it from his blog.

Spector only had it up because he saw that Boone mentioned it...and he hasn't updated his site yet, so it's not gone.

There you go, the synopsis of how easily a rumour travels around the internet.

:angry: DAMN!!! I was so hopeful that Sucko would be on his way out of town in the very near future.

McKenzie clarifies on his blog:

Just to set the record straight…

It is, apparently, being reported in some quarters of the Montreal media that I went on Montreal radio station TEAM 990 this week and suggested the Canadiens and San Jose Sharks are talking about a trade involving Patrick Marleau, Steve Bernier, Saku Koivu, Michael Ryder and who knows who else.

False. I said no such thing.

Not even close.

What I said on my regular appearance on the TEAM 990 on Monday morning is that even though it's next to impossible to make a trade in today's NHL, some teams – notably Anaheim for obvious reasons as well as the Sharks, who were destroyed by Buffalo on home ice on the weekend, and the Canadiens, who are in a swoon – are working extra hard to make something happen.

I noted that Sharks' GM Doug Wilson probably isn't sure what to make of his team – win almost all the time on the road; lose most of the time at home – but that he would be constantly evaluating it and if the Sharks continue to lay eggs like they did against Buffalo, it would only be a matter of time until we hear the next round of Patrick Marleau rumors.

I also noted that Canadiens' GM Bob Gainey is less likely to stand pat this season if the team continues to swoon than he was last season after Christmas when they hit the skids.

I never stated for a fact that the Sharks and Canadiens are talking trade with each other because I had no knowledge that they were in discussions.

My point was simply to say that several NHL teams – primarily Anaheim, San Jose and Montreal - are working extra hard to make something happen in an environment where it's almost impossible to get a deal done and maybe, just maybe, we will get some trade action prior to Christmas.

That's what I said. How it went from that to me supposedly saying Marleau-Bernier for Koivu-Ryder, which doesn't appear to make a whole lot of sense, is absolutely beyond my comprehension.

McKenzie clarifies on his blog:

Just to set the record straight…

It is, apparently, being reported in some quarters of the Montreal media that I went on Montreal radio station TEAM 990 this week and suggested the Canadiens and San Jose Sharks are talking about a trade involving Patrick Marleau, Steve Bernier, Saku Koivu, Michael Ryder and who knows who else.

False. I said no such thing.

Not even close.

What I said on my regular appearance on the TEAM 990 on Monday morning is that even though it's next to impossible to make a trade in today's NHL, some teams – notably Anaheim for obvious reasons as well as the Sharks, who were destroyed by Buffalo on home ice on the weekend, and the Canadiens, who are in a swoon – are working extra hard to make something happen.

I noted that Sharks' GM Doug Wilson probably isn't sure what to make of his team – win almost all the time on the road; lose most of the time at home – but that he would be constantly evaluating it and if the Sharks continue to lay eggs like they did against Buffalo, it would only be a matter of time until we hear the next round of Patrick Marleau rumors.

I also noted that Canadiens' GM Bob Gainey is less likely to stand pat this season if the team continues to swoon than he was last season after Christmas when they hit the skids.

I never stated for a fact that the Sharks and Canadiens are talking trade with each other because I had no knowledge that they were in discussions.

My point was simply to say that several NHL teams – primarily Anaheim, San Jose and Montreal - are working extra hard to make something happen in an environment where it's almost impossible to get a deal done and maybe, just maybe, we will get some trade action prior to Christmas.

That's what I said. How it went from that to me supposedly saying Marleau-Bernier for Koivu-Ryder, which doesn't appear to make a whole lot of sense, is absolutely beyond my comprehension.

Usually when Gainey makes a deal it comes from Leftfield. I bet we will have no clue until it hits us.

I remember when we got Kovalev, I was shocked out of my tree!

Saku or no Saku I hope that Bob does do something this year. We need it badly.

The Theo deal as well. I had no idea they were even shopping him

Really?

That was one had been rumoured for the entire season, except the rumours said Theodore for Tanguay

I didn't think anybody would take that salary off our hands. Especially not with a salary dump back.

WHats with all the impatience, its getting more and more anoying you people on this forum...

Years and years the talent of Saku Koivu has been wasted on the first line with crap playing beside him. Now he has some troubles and isnt playing like he was for years....and all you guys do is screaming for a trade. Please handle the guy with respect...he earned it!!!

Thank you!!

WHats with all the impatience, its getting more and more anoying you people on this forum...

Years and years the talent of Saku Koivu has been wasted on the first line with crap playing beside him. Now he has some troubles and isnt playing like he was for years....and all you guys do is screaming for a trade. Please handle the guy with respect...he earned it!!!

Thank you!!

Blah Blah Blah. I have heard the argument a million times. Give him some players.

Joe Thornton made Cheechoo a 50 goal scorer. Not the other way around.

Great centers raise the level of their wingers. I guess without Koivu that Higgins is just a scrub.

i never made that argument, i think you need to read better.

I was revering to his good play with bad players, and him not performing atm.....

offcourse i feel shit about the performance of the team and some players in particular. But some of you guys should be realistic.

Edited by Dutch_Habs_Fan

Please handle the guy with respect...he earned it!!!

Thank you!!

He has earned it to a degree...and then lost it due to his indifferent play a few times now. It's becoming a pattern, and that's just not acceptible when you're at team's number one centre and captain.

Edited by sbhatt

What's really freaky about this rumour, from a personal perspective, is that I started arguing for trading Koivu for Marleau on this site, about two weeks before the rumour surfaced (in a thread called 'Koivu's Slumps'). Part of me suspects that that was read by at least some media wretches and got transmuted into an 'offical' rumour. In the unlikely event that that's what happened, thinking about it gives me vertigo...and further confirms what a pile of crap the media is.

He has earned it to a degree...and then lost it due to his indifferent play a few times now. It's becoming a pattern, and that's just not acceptible when you're at team's number one centre and captain.

Koivu is what he is. He has tried his ass off for years and accomplished medicore results.

Would he be a multiple Cup winner somewhere else? I don't care.

What difference does it make who he was surrounded by? If Gainey can get a good deal for him than make it.

If he can only get picks than don't bother.

No disrespect, just a lot of posters wanting what is best for the CH.

I hope some people changed their tune, he's still got plenty to offer the Canadiens and he proved that last night.

It was a refreshing change...but he'll have to continue playing well before he's entirely off the hook in my eyes.

I hope some people changed their tune, he's still got plenty to offer the Canadiens and he proved that last night.

this is one of the hardest parts of working a trade. You want to get rid of the guy because he isn't playing well enough, but you can get the most for him when he's playing well. You either have to decide that a hot streak is a great opportunity to trade or that the low streaks will be made up for when he plays well. I don't know about Saku... I can't make up my mind. I (and I think everybody else) needs to see more.

It changes nothing. Bob should do what is best for the Habs going forward.

Very well said Simonus.

It is all in Saku's head and nobody in the media nor in the team know for sure

what he is thinking. In an interview we was saying that he wanted to be there

to see this team develop. But he has to contribute to be happy. He was not happy

because nothing was going in.

Even if he get's on a good streak and the team wins a couple, the facts remains the same

, against some talented teams we do look like fools, how could we be contenders

and a team hard to play against.

I know i wouldn't like to play against the Saku Koivu that plays for Finland in Olympics,

i wouln't think of trading this player.

So it's all in his head if he steps up and endorse Komisarek , Higgins and Hammer

leadership, has fun on the ice and comes to the ice with a positive attitude as a veteran

contributing to a team theyre will be no more trade Saku talks.

Koivu's a giant and a warrior. Is it Marleau who will lead the Habs to the Cup? Who needs a 6'5 1st line center? Check the Leafs, That's bulsshit. Koivu is the leader and soul of this team. Habs went through some very dark years since 93. Koivu has always been there and played his 100%. Now that the Habs are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, lets not stab in the back our hero. His multiple serious knee injuries recoveries and his cancer victory have made him a world-wide legend. We do not deserve a player and man like him. That line needs a winger, and Sergei might just be the guy. So let's be a little more patient. There's no other guy in the world that deserve more than Koivu to bring the Cup home.

I'm just glad some of you haters aren't part of the Montreal Canadiens management and making the important decisions.

Why is the mere suggestion of trading Koivu deemed hate?

If you want to make smart decisions you seperate emotion from your decision making. It does not matter if Koivu saves puppies, builds orphanages

and turns water into wine. You make trades that make your team better. If you can deal him for better players than you do it.

No hate. Just business.

Using your logic the Leafs would never have traded Wendel Clark. The heart and soul of that team through the 80s and early 90s.

The guy was loved by the fans. He played his ass off every shift, played hurt, was great in the community, captained the Leafs to back to back Conference Finals and returned some guy named Mats Sundin.

I guess those haters were idiots as well.

Edited by Wamsley01