Habs need to work on Final Minutes Drill!

Habsfan84

It was shown in our latest loss to the Pens that we needed to work on our Final Minutes of the game drill. We could not get possesion and we culd not set up in the Pens zone. The Habs never seem to score those last minute goals to tie it up.

The Habs also have to work on stopping those last minute goals when they have the lead. They almays let those last minute goals in. This season it has happened in Toronto and Nashville to just name a few.

What do you think they could do to improve this.

1) get Streit off, he is terrible on D and doesn't contribute offensively in any meaningful way (Im sure someone will bring up his 28 points, but even a monkey could get 2nd assists with all the time he gets on the league's top power play).

OMG! :angry:

Last nights final few minutes looked like Mario Tremblay was running the team and we looked like the Habs from the mid 90's when we couldn't buy ourselves out of our own end!

Koivu, I am sorry to say - something has to be done with this guy. He is not CAPTAIN material nor is he a first-line centre. I know this might cause a rumble with all the Saku supporters here but come on! :puke:

Last nights final few minutes looked like Mario Tremblay was running the team and we looked like the Habs from the mid 90's when we couldn't buy ourselves out of our own end!

Koivu, I am sorry to say - something has to be done with this guy. He is not CAPTAIN material nor is he a first-line centre. I know this might cause a rumble with all the Saku supporters here but come on! :puke:

Koivu and Huet are not to be criticized on this board. Understand! :wacko:

:lol: It is funny but true.

Saying anything negative about Huet will get Brobin in to a serious tizzy. Even stating a fact will not be tolerated!

Koivu is much the same with some other posters.

I do not subscribe to the idea that Koivu is the reason that this team has sucked for the last 10+ years but I do see that he is slipping. Brutal play by Mr. K. for the last while and last night he was the worst of all time. Third line duties or press box please.

Listen guys, Koivu has maybe had a mediocre season, and especially a a bad past few weeks, but cut him some slack. You guys who pounce on guys for a few bad games are as bad as the fools in french press/Jack Todd. Koivu has still put up decent numbers, not bad considering he played most of the season so far with the pylon disguised as Michael Ryder. He's always been big down the stretch and in the playoffs, so lets give him a chance to step up then like he usually does before writing him off.

The Koivu bashing is pathetic.

You can be critical of Koivu's current season, and i share your frustration, believe me, but to dismiss him overall is ignorant. To insult the man is simply unjust. Is he pretty average (at best) and medicore (at worst) this season? Yes, most definitely yes. Is that a reason to go all out and call for his head?

Kovalev was doing comparatively far worse than Saku last season, and everyone wanted his head. This season? The team's undisputed best and most contributing player and likewise everyone is showering him in praise. I will save this thread and quote you all in about 20 games from now if Saku snaps out of it and goes on a wild scoring spree.

He had a career-best season last year, had a great start to the season, and just halfway in the season there are already calls for his head and claims of poor leadership and this and that. Like they say... a Canadiens fan's memory is about 3-games short.

If Koivu goes on a 5-game point streak and puts up 3G and 5A during that time, you'll all be praising him and discussing contract extensions. The Koivu bashers are the same ones bashing Price for having a good start and then going sour for a while. Some of you are so impulsive and irrational as to suggest dumping Price. You all want immediate gratification. Now now now. That's all it is.

You guys have NO PATIENCE. Thankfully, Bob Gainey does, and it's paying off in spades.

*rolleyes*

And you guys damn well know it's true.

Edited by Cataclaw

Listen guys, Koivu has maybe had a mediocre season, and especially a a bad past few weeks, but cut him some slack. You guys who pounce on guys for a few bad games are as bad as the fools in french press/Jack Todd. Koivu has still put up decent numbers, not bad considering he played most of the season so far with the pylon disguised as Michael Ryder. He's always been big down the stretch and in the playoffs, so lets give him a chance to step up then like he usually does before writing him off.

If he makes a mistake and somebody says something it does not require a poster to jump to his defence.

If somebody says the Habs lost that game last night because Koivu turned it over and it led to an empty net

goal. Now that is different.

Players are all open to criticism. Koivu takes to many offensive zone penalties.

Is that bashing him? Is it critical? Or is it a fact?

Huet is bad in the shootout.

Being a fan does not mean you can't criticize your favourite team. Some people suggest that they would not object to Koivu being traded if it improves the team, and it is followed with you are a hater, you are an idiot, etc etc.

I wish Koivu would pick up his game, I hope he leads a second half surge that results in 2 good scoring lines.

But until he does, he is open to criticism no matter how much money he raises for cancer.

I wish Koivu would pick up his game, I hope he leads a second half surge that results in 2 good scoring lines.

But until he does, he is open to criticism no matter how much money he raises for cancer.

:clap::clap::clap:

Saku has sucked over the past 2 to 3 weeks. As a fan i'm allowed to say it. he needs to bring up his game, and fast. If someone offers something good in return for Saku, i'd definitely consider it. Just because he's been the Captain of the habs for the past 9 years, doens't mean he is beyond any reproach! Nobody is immune to criticism! I really do hope he picks up his game, cause if he does, it'll be good for the Habs. The Plex, Kovy, Kosty line can't do it all by themselves all season long.

Huet played a very good game last night. in fact he kept the game close. He doesn'T deserve any criticism for last nights game. It is true that he has sucked this year on the shoot out, no arguments here!

Edited by Habsfan

If he makes a mistake and somebody says something it does not require a poster to jump to his defence.

If somebody says the Habs lost that game last night because Koivu turned it over and it led to an empty net

goal. Now that is different.

Players are all open to criticism. Koivu takes to many offensive zone penalties.

Huet is bad in the shootout.

Being a fan does not mean you can't criticize your favourite team. Some people suggest that they would not object to Koivu being traded if it improves the team, and it is followed with you are a hater, you are an idiot, etc etc.

You're missing the point, Wamsley.

The point is not that Koivu and others having bad seasons are not immune to criticism. That much is obvious to everyone, even Koivu supporters such as myself. The point is Habs fans look at everything in black and white and in extremes. There is never a middle-ground, never moderation.

Saviour one day can be worst enemy the next. Habs fans are too emotion-driven to look at this objectively, to look at the big picture. We always focus on the last 3 games and forget everything else.

Koivu is not immune to bashing -- in fact i am highly critical of his poor play as of late myself. But the point here is that the response should fit the crime. Does Koivu deserve some of the severe bashing he's been getting? I suspect not.

My analogy here is this:

A petty thief steals a candy bar from the local dép and is sentences to life in prison.

See my point here?

^^^

Seriously Wamsley, we speak up here and defend him because the criticism has reached ridiculous hyper frequency pitch.

Also Koivu IMO was playing a little better with latendresse, he would've had easily a half-dozen more assists over that span if Lats had managed to bury those open nets that Koivu was feeding him.

The downside is that Higgins gets relegated to the 3rd line with a couple of winners in smolenski and ryder, but maybe his gutsy play will shame them into picking it up a little.

You're missing the point, Wamsley.

The point is not that Koivu and others having bad seasons are not immune to criticism. That much is obvious to everyone, even Koivu supporters such as myself. The point is Habs fans look at everything in black and white and in extremes. There is never a middle-ground, never moderation.

Saviour one day can be worst enemy the next. Habs fans are too emotion-driven to look at this objectively, to look at the big picture. We always focus on the last 3 games and forget everything else.

Koivu is not immune to bashing -- in fact i am highly critical of his poor play as of late myself. But the point here is that the response should fit the crime. Does Koivu deserve some of the severe bashing he's been getting? I suspect not.

My analogy here is this:

A petty thief steals a candy bar from the local dép and is sentences to life in prison.

See my point here?

I don't think I am missing the point. Plenty of times I have said something about Koivu or Huet and have had people jump all over me. I stated Huet is bad in the shootout, I researched his record and showed that a goalie who has a .925 SV% during the games has a .500 SV% in the shootout. And I am called out for blaming him for the loss???

I said that I would trade Koivu if the price was right and that as much as I love the guy that nobody is untouchable and I am told that I am full of shit and am not really a fan.

Some people look at criticism as a slam against their favourite player and will create a defense or return crtiticsim for no other reason that they don't want their hero slandered.

Players make mistakes, players have bad years. Those things are going to be called out.

Some posters do scapegoat and I have no problem with people calling them out. But a pointed criticism with a solid rationale in my world should not be mocked or disrespected.

^^^

Seriously Wamsley, we speak up here and defend him because the criticism has reached ridiculous hyper frequency pitch.

Also Koivu IMO was playing a little better with latendresse, he would've had easily a half-dozen more assists over that span if Lats had managed to bury those open nets that Koivu was feeding him.

The downside is that Higgins gets relegated to the 3rd line with a couple of winners in smolenski and ryder, but maybe his gutsy play will shame them into picking it up a little.

But this defense is not a couple of weeks old. It was going on in October, November and December.

Unfortunately Koivu has yet to pick up his game. I hope he does, because I am a Canadiens fan and

the better he plays the more the Habs benefit.

Come on!

Saying that Koivu has stunk up the joint for the last while is not bashing him. It is the truth.

I don't think that is unreasonable or extreme in any way. Most people here don't take that opinion of Koivu's performance over the last while and equate that to he sucks and should be traded or stripped of the "C". I love Koivu, look at my name! That doesn't mean I can't have an honest look at him.

Am I out in left field here?

Anyways, there's been dozens of threads about Koivu, can't we talk about how much Streit sucks lately and doesn't belong on D? Maybe Komisarek should be going on the PP with Markov, Komi's shot has been improving lately, and he's a smarter player than Streit.

Anyways, there's been dozens of threads about Koivu, can't we talk about how much Streit sucks lately and doesn't belong on D? Maybe Komisarek should be going on the PP with Markov, Komi's shot has been improving lately, and he's a smarter player than Streit.

Agreed, next subject

Koivu was playing badly all game, he just shouldn't be out there in the final minutes. Latendresse is more useful because he's a big body in front of the net. Andrei and Sergei were having better games, they are more physical and have a better shot, they would be more useful. First of all it's up to Koivu to turn his play around, but then it's up to Carbo to not use him in a critical situation when he's playing poorly. His C shouldn't place him on the ice at the end of games, his play should.

Edited by Neech

There is "never a middle-ground, never moderation?" Who's talking in extremes now? Yes there are the people who call for the head of the latest scapegoat, but most people are reasonable and criticize where it's deserved.

Last time I cheked, the topic was "Habs Need to work on Final Minutes Drill" and not "Koivu is playing like @$$"? But since nobody cares about the final minutes discussion, I might as well give it a whirl. We all know Saku isn't playing well this season. He's had several linemates put with him and they all seem to be problematic.....Am I noticing a recurring theme here? Let me restate that one more time juuust in case you missed it...he has had several linemates this year, and everybody seems to say that so and so is bringing Koivu's game down. Maybe it's the other way around...has anybody thought of that without saying...Oh Ridiculous? Anyways, reality check time...We're stuck with him for the rest of this season and the next... so how about we all just stop having our hissy fits and realize we're getting nothing for him unless his no trade clause is waived. If i was a statistician (which I am not) I would say the probability of Koivu being ran out of town is about a 2.9%....what can we learn from this....

JUST LIVE WITH IT.....WE ARE SCREWED UNTIL HIS CONTRACT IS UP

Last time I cheked, the topic was "Habs Need to work on Final Minutes Drill" and not "Koivu is playing like @$$"? But since nobody cares about the final minutes discussion, I might as well give it a whirl. We all know Saku isn't playing well this season. He's had several linemates put with him and they all seem to be problematic.....Am I noticing a recurring theme here? Let me restate that one more time juuust in case you missed it...he has had several linemates this year, and everybody seems to say that so and so is bringing Koivu's game down. Maybe it's the other way around...has anybody thought of that without saying...Oh Ridiculous? Anyways, reality check time...We're stuck with him for the rest of this season and the next... so how about we all just stop having our hissy fits and realize we're getting nothing for him unless his no trade clause is waived. If i was a statistician (which I am not) I would say the probability of Koivu being ran out of town is about a 2.9%....what can we learn from this....

JUST LIVE WITH IT.....WE ARE SCREWED UNTIL HIS CONTRACT IS UP

Nah, games like Saturday's you couldn't blame his poor play on his linemates, he plain sucked and brought the rest down. He's been bad individually, people here watch the games and are capable of making the judgment on who has been making bad plays.

And about Koivu being traded, he may waive the NTC if Gainey gives him an acceptable destination.

As a Habs fan we can post whatever we feel about the team. NO player is off limits. Lets call a spade a spade.

Harp77, welcome to Habsworld. Wamsley was just kidding and feel free to post all you want about the Habs. Just get ready to take the heat from the members here when you say something that they dont agree with.

I don't think I am missing the point. Plenty of times I have said something about Koivu or Huet and have had people jump all over me. I stated Huet is bad in the shootout, I researched his record and showed that a goalie who has a .925 SV% during the games has a .500 SV% in the shootout. And I am called out for blaming him for the loss???

I said that I would trade Koivu if the price was right and that as much as I love the guy that nobody is untouchable and I am told that I am full of shit and am not really a fan.

Some people look at criticism as a slam against their favourite player and will create a defense or return crtiticsim for no other reason that they don't want their hero slandered.

Players make mistakes, players have bad years. Those things are going to be called out.

Some posters do scapegoat and I have no problem with people calling them out. But a pointed criticism with a solid rationale in my world should not be mocked or disrespected.

But this defense is not a couple of weeks old. It was going on in October, November and December.

Unfortunately Koivu has yet to pick up his game. I hope he does, because I am a Canadiens fan and

the better he plays the more the Habs benefit.

Hey not to drag this on, but for the record i never accused you specifically of this, just some people around here.

I give credit to you Wamsley for a pretty balanced and objective perspective on Koivu.

I'm just saying many people here aren't so rational...

Hey not to drag this on, but for the record i never accused you specifically of this, just some people around here.

I give credit to you Wamsley for a pretty balanced and objective perspective on Koivu.

I'm just saying many people here aren't so rational...

I appreciate that and I know it wasn't aimed directly at me. I just wanted to clarify my perspective

I want them to win. I survived the Patrick Roy trade (who was my personal hero), seeing as I got over that

I have come to the recognition that I love the crest, not the players wearing the crest.

I get attached to players, but if the ultimate goal of winning the cup can be achieved by moving them then

thanks for your years in the bleu, blanc et rouge.

No malice, no disrespect.

I survived the Patrick Roy trade (who was my personal hero), seeing as I got over that

I have come to the recognition that I love the crest, not the players wearing the crest.

Here here! Those were tough times for Habs fans. But I think it's safe to say that worst of it, is behind us now!

Edited by Habsfan