Game Thread | Habs vs. Rangers | 03/02/08

Cataclaw

Oh well, we lost, maybe this will take the people on this board down a notch from their crack-induced fantasies about how far this team has come (yep, I love throwing around the crack references). It sucked to blow a lead like that, but we weren't dominated or anything. The tide of the game turned, but we were still in it and it just took a few mistakes to sink our ship. Lundqvist made 3 or 4 game-saving stops, Huet made none. We had some golden opportunities that if we could have buried we would have won.

Plekanec had a good game, Kovalev was a off today. I don't see why Carbo split them up and put Kovy with Koivu, as both were not going that great. Koivu wasn't good, but he wasn't bad either, just kind of ordinary. He got stuff happening in the offensive zone, but in our end he is kind of a liability. Higgins was decent. The Quebecois line was strong tonight, Lapierre and Latendresse make a good combo for controlling the puck on the boards.

Huet was ordinary, let in a softie, and didn't step up to help us. Our defense wasn't anything special, although Markov had a pretty good game.

It's only one game, and I like how this team has responded after a poor performance. Let's see how they fare this week, it'll be tough with the divisional games.

The highlight was lil Kosty's shootout goal, that was awesome. You could tell he was really happy but trying not to show it too much, and the team was really happy for him. But then he passed up a wide open shot in the slot on a breakaway, he still needs to grow a bit more confidence in his shot.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

unacceptable maybe? :wacko:

Real collapse there. You make up your own minds, but I know when the game shifted momentum.

Yes it was unfortunate that koivu's penalty led to a goal, but to blame collapse on that 1 powerplay goal when we still had a 2 goal lead makes no sense. Kovy gave the puck away right after that, why isn't it his fault? What about the rangers first 2 goals? Huet should have had them both, why not blame him? No forward giving Markov a stick on the rangers 3rd goal. I'm saying I understand that the powerplay goal started the trickle before the dam broke. But had it been koivu who gave the puck away on the second goal I can just imagine some of the comments, but because it was kovy not a word was said. I try not to bash anyone on the team, because its comments like that from the fans and media, that make no player want to sign here in the offseason.

the question now is...who do we start in the sens game. Do we treat this as a off game for Huet(not that he played bad), and sart him in the sens game. Or do we rest Huet and give Halak the big start. Huet's got the experience but Halak's got the fresh legs. :wacko:

I think it would have been better to start Halak today and play Huet in the sens.

They wore us out, that's why. Our second game in two days and both of them were very physical. After the momentum tarted to change, we didn't have the energy necessary to hold them off. By the third period we were done.

But there were still some positives from that game. For one thing, I love watching Kovalev police himself even if it was a dirty play. I also love watching Koivu and Gorges assault Hollweg after he pushes Sergei head-first into the boards. These violent games are the ones that build character and you can bet our team is getting even closer and closer. I think this will be the time that the message finally sinks in that they cannot drop 3-0 leads midway through the game.

I give Gorges credit, he was our best player tonight.

i wouldn't go so far as to say Gorges was our best player tonight, because he made a few cafouillages in our zone in an otherwise solid performance. But I was really impressed with the way he stood up for lil Kosty and then Koivu, he's a good team guy.

If I had to choose our best player tonight I'd probably say Markov.

the question now is...who do we start in the sens game. Do we treat this as a off game for Huet(not that he played bad), and sart him in the sens game. Or do we rest Huet and give Halak the big start. Huet's got the experience but Halak's got the fresh legs. :wacko:

I think it would have been better to start Halak today and play Huet in the sens.

Lol, fresh legs, I'd say rusty. Halak hasen't played in over a month, except for a period in relief if i'm not mistaken. But I can understand Carbo's decision to stick with huet since he was playing so well, although todays game definitely opens the door for Halak to get a start or 2.

This is a huge loss. I think we basiaclly have to beat Ottawa on Tuesday for us to have a chance at this conference.

Crappy Loss for sure.

Tuesday and saturday, but now is as good a time as any, hopefully Alfie wont be back for another few games.

Keep it together KoZed. As a moderator of this site, stuff like this really makes you sound like an idiot. It's one thing to be pissed, but to go on and on and on and on really is kind of stupid.

We lost! Take it like a man, not a five year old.

I disagree. Let it out man, it's therapeutic

i wouldn't go so far as to say Gorges was our best player tonight, because he made a few cafouillages in our zone in an otherwise solid performance. But I was really impressed with the way he stood up for lil Kosty and then Koivu, he's a good team guy.

If I had to choose our best player tonight I'd probably say Markov.

And Boullion because being the smllest guy on the bench was the only one with big enough nuts to go at it with ORR.

Boullion rules!

Keep it together KoZed. As a moderator of this site, stuff like this really makes you sound like an idiot. It's one thing to be pissed, but to go on and on and on and on really is kind of stupid.

We lost! Take it like a man, not a five year old.

I agree. This Koivu bashing is out of control. More like Leaf Nation stuff. Markov was the best player on the ice!

I disagree. Let it out man, it's therapeutic

I'm with Saks Avenue on this one. Koivu wasn't that bad today, and he's been good recently. He's hardly the primary target for blame for this loss (not that there really is one, it was a combination of bad plays).

Why do these guys think Kovalev will get suspended? Okay, it was an elbow.. that is 2 minutes if it is seen..

I have seen lots of elbows that were not called, or were called, and I have never seen a suspension for that kind of play.

I hope you're right. The league rarely suspends when there's no resulting injury, but I wish they would. Not in this instance, of course... ;)

More attention will be paid to this elbow though, since it's related to the Holliweg hit from behind.

It's when I put my Jinxed Habs shirt that all hell broke loose.

Never agains folks, that piece of jinxed crap is staying in my closet forever !

SORRY

Have you considered burning it? ;)

I would have been a lot more confident going into Tuesdays game if we would have won today. But oh well its back to nail biting time. I just hope this team has the confidence to win a couple of games without kovalev, because more than likely he will at least not be in against ottawa on tuesday. Worst case the rest of the week.

I agree. This Koivu bashing is out of control. More like Leaf Nation stuff. Markov was the best player on the ice!

I thought the only Habs that played well the entire game were Markov, S Kostitsyn, Komi and Bouillon

More attention will be paid to this elbow though, since it's related to the Holliweg hit from behind.

Lets just call it even and nobody gets suspended, I think both players have learned their lesson. :wacko: I'm definitely willing to overlook the Holweg hit if it means Kovy not being suspended.

I hope you're right. The league rarely suspends when there's no resulting injury, but I wish they would. Not in this instance, of course... ;)

Have you considered burning it? ;)

yeah you knew holliweg was going to do something, i could see it in his eyes... he was PISSED

so called "Leafs nation" is Toronto copying New England's "Red Sox Nation" expression

Once again Toronto is an unoriginal joke of a town. Trying to be everybody else, but having no flavor whatsoever of it's own

PATHETIC

Edited by Jaysix

I thought the only Habs that played well the entire game were Markov, S Kostitsyn, Komi and Bouillon

Bang on...

I thought Huet was fine, just not great. He did make several bigs saves in the 3rd when it was tied and the habs went down and .. didn't score. I just had a feeling that sooner or later the Rangers would get the go ahead goal.

I suspect Huet will play Ottawa and Halak (or Price) will play Toronto.

People shouldn't panic..its not how you lose that is telling, it is how you respond.. if the habs come out swinging against Ottawa, all will be right with the world. Most of the team were out of gas, but they will be hungry on Tuesday. :)

Bang on...

I thought Huet was fine, just not great. He did make several bigs saves in the 3rd when it was tied and the habs went down and .. didn't score. I just had a feeling that sooner or later the Rangers would get the go ahead goal.

I suspect Huet will play Ottawa and Halak (or Price) will play Toronto.

People shouldn't panic..its not how you lose that is telling, it is how you respond.. if the habs come out swinging against Ottawa, all will be right with the world. Most of the team were out of gas, but they will be hungry on Tuesday. :)

Price please. Halak is Aebischer 2.0

Hello boys, just got back. What a game!

I'm pissed that the boys lost this one. We had a 3 goal lead, we were in control, and then the ref made that lousy call on Koivuy(what a joke that was!) and it was all the Rangers needed to get back into this game! To blow a 3 goal lead is bad. But as soon as the halfway mark of the second period went by, you could tell that our boys were tired. They had no legs, they weren't skating anymore, and the Rangers kept on coming at them(the Rangers were fresh, they hadn't playd last night!).

We missed on a great opportunity to catch the hens, but we'll get two more chances to catch them this week!

Like I said, I'm pissed about the loss, but we can'T win all the games. Hopefully this won't affect the boys too much.

Regroup and come out strong against the Hens (without Heatly and Alfredsson) on Tuesday!

Lets just call it even and nobody gets suspended, I think both players have learned their lesson. :wacko: I'm definitely willing to overlook the Holweg hit if it means Kovy not being suspended.

Ya, It will really blow if Kovalev can't play on Tuesday. Then again it could be a moment for Koivu rise up.

I guess we'll tomorrow, but I have a feeling Kovalev will get a game suspension. :puke:

I have one problem with your comment. It shouldn't have been a penalty. It was a bullshit make up call for the penalty shot. How can you dump on Koivu for that? :puke:

Ya the whole team fell apart because of Saku's little hook. Please.

We will win by the way!!!!!

Even 'little' hooks in the offensive zone get called damn near every time when your team has been the beneficiary of so many calls....Saku has been playing long enough to know that.