Hossa - Will we or Won't we?

The-Habby2919

50 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Bob will trade for Marian Hossa?

• Yes
    • No

Hossa disappears in the playoffs, a total non-factor.

If we are serious about making a run this year, I say go with Jokinen.

Don't get me wrong i'd love Jokinen...but chances of getting him are even slimmer than landing hossa

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have this weird feeling this deal is going to happen. We are contenders!!!!!! Whether your panties are wet or not Hossa would help. Unfortunately it's going to cost us in some ways.

It might be Higgins and I think I'm o.k with that. I know ....Leclair....bla bla bla.......Leclair won a cup with the habs, but he didn't with Philli even though he became a fifty goal scorer, which he wasn't in Montreal.

Picture this for a second.......Let's say it was announced tomorrow Koivu was traded for Hossa. I'd feel like we lost the deal. Not for any reason but that thing your gut tells you. On the other hand, if it was announced that Ryder and Higgins were going for Hossa I'd be bummed because Higgins and his Dad love the :hlogo: ! but..............but.............Hossa IS what we want Higgins to BE---------RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!

Since we are CONTENDERS! I'm willing to bet Gainey is bringing something in soon, and I think he'll be willing to give up something this time around the block.

In Bob we Trust!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by SAKS-AVENUE

I have this weird feeling this deal is going to happen. We are contenders!!!!!! Whether your panties are wet or not Hossa would help. Unfortunately it's going to cost us in some ways.

It might be Higgins and I think I'm o.k with that. I know ....Leclair....bla bla bla.......Leclair won a cup with the habs, but he didn't with Philli even though he became a fifty goal scorer, which he wasn't in Montreal.

Picture this for a second.......Let's say it was announced tomorrow Koivu was traded for Hossa. I'd feel like we lost the deal. Not for any reason but that thing your gut tells you. On the other hand, if it was announced that Ryder and Higgins were going for Hossa I'd be bummed because Higgins and his Dad love the :hlogo: ! but..............but.............Hossa IS what we want Higgins to BE---------RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!

Since we are CONTENDERS! I'm willing to bet Gainey is bringing something in soon, and I think he'll be willing to give up something this time around the block.

In Bob we Trust!!!!!!!!!!

I just don't think other teams will offer young roster players with Higgins kind of upside so why would the Habs have to.

Teams aquire rental players to imporve thier team and its depth.

I think before BG even considers trading for Hossa he needs to find out if he will sign long term.

IF this step is made then there could be a possibility. I would love it and would turn the Habs into a real contender IMO.

Yes. Hossa as a rental, no thanks. Hossa as a long-term acquisition, 100% good idea...as long as you're not selling the farm. But I'd accept the need to part with a high-powered prospect/young player to swing that, for sure. (I too have a feeling Higgins will be the guy to go back, if this does go down. Damn, my heart says no, but my brain says that's fair return).

Yes. Hossa as a rental, no thanks. Hossa as a long-term acquisition, 100% good idea...as long as you're not selling the farm. But I'd accept the need to part with a high-powered prospect/young player to swing that, for sure. (I too have a feeling Higgins will be the guy to go back, if this does go down. Damn, my heart says no, but my brain says that's fair return).

Yeah, I agree with that. I'm still not sure if I'd want to give up Higgins though, but it is better to get a good player than sit on your hands and wait for guys to develop.

I guess I'm just voicing my opinion without going through my entire thought process. Of course not a rental. Especially if a Higgns type player is involved. Besides that whole rental thing is such horseshit anyway. A big trade for the team that I follow, where we give up young future talent, a secure asset must always come back the our way,

I just don't think other teams will offer young roster players with Higgins kind of upside so why would the Habs have to.

Teams aquire rental players to imporve thier team and its depth.

I guess I'm assuming the worst case scenario the deal would include a Higgins type player, If Gainey can land Hossa without giving up Higgins or equal value, I would be stoked. I hope your right and the demands are not as high as I think they might be.

Sounds like the whole "Gainey has permission to talk to Hossa" was a load. I don't think the habs are in the race to get Hossa or anyone for that matter and that doesn't suprise me one bit.

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/mckenzie/?id=228991

The Habs are playing so well right now. More than ever we are a player or two away from TRUE contenders(We're already contenders). I think Gainey will be active this year. Maybe not Hossa, although all fingers are pointing that way. There will be a trade for the Montreal Canadiens this month that might shake the foundation a little. I doubt Gainey just sits on his hands this year.

The Habs are playing so well right now. More than ever we are a player or two away from TRUE contenders(We're already contenders). I think Gainey will be active this year. Maybe not Hossa, although all fingers are pointing that way. There will be a trade for the Montreal Canadiens this month that might shake the foundation a little. I doubt Gainey just sits on his hands this year.

Well, I hesitate to call us 'contenders.' We have too many young guys to count on playoff success. And despite our present excellence, Bob still has good reason to sniff around for high-powered help at forward. Koivu is in the doldrums and you have to at least consider that wear-and-tear are catching up to him, that he's officially on the downside of his career; Kovalev is playing like an absolute beast this season, but history shows that he can't be relied on to do that annually, and he's also no spring chicken. Those two guys are real keys, high-end guys who need to be replaced within the next 2-3 years. Then there's Ryder, who has completely evaporated and will be gone at season's end; and Higgins, whose offensive upside remains a bit unclear at this stage. While I'd have no real problem standing pat, there's much to be said from a 'building' standpoint for acquiring Hossa if you can ink him long-term.

One worry is: what's Hossa's track record as a playoff performer? I don't think that should be everything - players often need a learning curve in this regard - but it's worth factoring in if you're considering this guy as a long-term part of your 'core.'

But guys its Higgins!!! Our future captain, Komi's best friend, the lockeroom leader, the guy that does yoga in the summer (hehe), the guy that says he wants to be a 40/40 man, the guy who grew up loving the habs, the guy with the huge hart that always gives everything, the one with immense potential, etc. Sure He's going through a ruff patch, but He will bounce back. He is part of this team identity, its dynamics. The habs are becoming a good team because they are becoming exacly that: a team. They are geling as a team, and I think that that is the most important thing a team can have in this salary cap era. And Higgins is a big part of that, in fact, he seems to be at the very centre of what sparked this general attitude. I would not trade him for Hossa

I doubt Gainey just sits on his hands this year.

I wouldn't bet my paycheck if I were you! Bob is not kow to make trades. He didn'T move last year, and hasn't made any splashes over the past 2 seasons.

But guys its Higgins!!! Our future captain, Komi's best friend, the lockeroom leader, the guy that does yoga in the summer (hehe), the guy that says he wants to be a 40/40 man, the guy who grew up loving the habs, the guy with the huge hart that always gives everything, the one with immense potential, etc. Sure He's going through a ruff patch, but He will bounce back. He is part of this team identity, its dynamics. The habs are becoming a good team because they are becoming exacly that: a team. They are geling as a team, and I think that that is the most important thing a team can have in this salary cap era. And Higgins is a big part of that, in fact, he seems to be at the very centre of what sparked this general attitude. I would not trade him for Hossa

I thikn too many of you are dreaming if you actually believe that Higgins will become a consistetn 40 goal scorer in this league. true, Higgins has alot of Heart, but I don't thikn he has the talent to become a regular 40 goal guy in the NHL. He might become a 30 goal 60 point player. He might even get 80 pooints in one season, but I don't think he'll be a regular 40 gaol scorer. I don'T think he has the talent for that!

I would be ecstatic if Higgins became a consistent 30 goal scorer. 40 would be a windfall. He is somewhere between a 2nd and 3rd line guy it seems. We have other guys who seem to have a better nose for the net. Having Higgins as Komi's pal has some value and his defensive and hardnose play has even more value. Between the Kostitsyns, Kovalev, Plekanec and perhaps Latendresse, we can well afford to have a cheaper guy like Higgins who can bring strong, smart play with secondary scoring figures. A second line winger who scores 30 is pretty damn good in this league.

Again... we are one of the top scoring teams in the league (although we are middle of the pack at 5 on 5). Offense is not our main problem right now. With the influx of extra goals in the system (Chips>Smoke, Prospect X > Ryder, current D prospects over Brisebois, Dandenault and Bouillon) I am less worried about adding secondary scoring.

That being said, if Hossa were affordable I'd be all for it.

It would be nice to go after Hossa but then again i dont think that it would be the right decision for this team who is still devoloping players and will be an even more force later on. We would have to give up way too much for Hossa.

Jokinen would bring a different set of problems, of course.

Plex-Jokinen-Koivu. 3 centres, who plays where? Obviously Plex on the top line; then Jokinen with Higgins and S. Kost? Koivu with Latendresse and maybe Streit?

But yeah, Jokinen's skill set is fantastic. I'd imagine the Panthers would want a lot. Didn't he just sign an extension with them recently?

Edited by tokyohabs

I doubt we get Hossa. It's the same ol' story. A hot rumour stinks for Montreal almost always. Rumours can kill potential trades also. I think BOb is going to do something that none of us have thought of and we'll love it. That's why he's a GM and we aren't.

Jokinen would bring a different set of problems, of course.

Plex-Jokinen-Koivu. 3 centres, who plays where? Obviously Plex on the top line; then Jokinen with Higgins and S. Kost? Koivu with Latendresse and maybe Streit?

But yeah, Jokinen's skill set is fantastic. I'd imagine the Panthers would want a lot. Didn't he just sign an extension with them recently?

Jokinen also plays wing. I believe he is good friends with Koivu and they could be a very good fit together on the same line. Also, he could serve as the Koivu succession plan.

He's signed for two more years at 5.25 million per year, a good deal.

I agree with habanero that he would be an ideal guy to take Koivu's place once his contract is up.