Gainey's Number Rises to Rafters

JLP

Montreal is always sitting around watching their own ceremonies or the Leafs ceremonies. So i dont think that Columbus should be complaining.

Congrats Bob

PS you might get a bigger cheer from the fns if you make a good move at the deadline.

Shouldn't Columbus be pissing themselves with glee, to be part of this? Or maybe their own tradition is enough.

Anyway, Gainey, genius, never worried with him on the ice, my first memories of hockey are the Flower and Big Bird, Dryden and Gainey, Shutt and Cournoyer. what a tremendous man, above the player - and what a player. The standard against which all subsequent two-way forwards pale.

Congratulations, Bob.

Have fun, JMMR! I was there on Guy Lafleur night, hope it is as good! Your Da has great taste! (His jersey isn't form-fitting, is it???)

Edited by tokyohabs

Does Bob walk to the mic, say all his thanks and then announce his trade? That would be something! WWF like. "You think I was something as a player, check this out..."

Oh, and visiting teams have to put up with the civil war crap in Columbus's home games. They can deal with it.

Well deserved honor Mr Gainey, You were great and are truely missed on the PK! I know you will bring us more cups before you are truely done with this team!

In Bob We Trust

Hope you out do Pollock for years in the job.

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

Oh, and visiting teams have to put up with the civil war crap in Columbus's home games. They can deal with it.

I've not seen that, what does CBS do?

I've not seen that, what does CBS do?

Maybe confused here, Thinking it was a pregame deal, but it's a goal celebration thing. (doesn't happen often) Cannon firing, chase a Reb and an Ingin round the concoures, something like that. Doesn't matter much as the will be fodder on Saturday.

not until Huet is no longer a Hab.

awwwww, cmon JMMR ~ you had to be somewhat impressed when Huet stopped three Rangers in the shootout last week to cap the greatest Habs comeback in 99 years. ^_^

Go Habs Go! :hlogo:

Montreal is always sitting around watching their own ceremonies or the Leafs ceremonies. So i dont think that Columbus should be complaining.

Shouldn't Columbus be pissing themselves with glee, to be part of this? Or maybe their own tradition is enough.

For the love of God, it was a freaking joke. :wacko: Though, the St. Louis event was pretty annoying. They didn't start it until the game was supposed to start, so it started over a half hour late, meaning the DVR cut off before the game was over.

Maybe confused here, Thinking it was a pregame deal, but it's a goal celebration thing. (doesn't happen often) Cannon firing, chase a Reb and an Ingin round the concoures, something like that. Doesn't matter much as the will be fodder on Saturday.

How about you shut your pie hole when you don't know what the heck you're talking about? You should do so especially when you're going to be throwing around terms that Native Americans find offensive. There's cannon fire, and that's it. It's unique and it's fun. It's up there with the Coyote howl in Phoenix for the most unique goal celebrations. Much better than playing a lame U2 song. Don't get me wrong, the Habs are my favorite team, but don't go bashing Columbus just for the hell of it.

P.S. Columbus scores a good bit at home, it's why their home record is better than Montreal's. ^_^ Bring back to Forum!

Yeah, because the other team is even on the ice when they plant the flag and put up the Civil War video. You don't see me calling your history crap, so how about you stop calling mine crap?

awwwww, cmon JMMR ~ you had to be somewhat impressed when Huet stopped three Rangers in the shootout last week to cap the greatest Habs comeback in 99 years. ^_^

Go Habs Go! :hlogo:

Yeah I was.

I was excatic and uber suprised.

Good for Huet he would make an excellent back-up.

not until Huet is no longer a Habs.

Great, and you've expressed yourself clearly in the appropriate places - the game thread and goalie thread both. This thread is about Gainey. Do you really think a night to celebrate Gainey's career and jersey retirement is somehow tarnished by something as trivial as who the current starting goalie is (who happens to be a Gainey addition)? Time for perspective.

Now, to avoid this thread de-generating into a goalie debate:

Congratulations to Bob and his family - a well-deserved honour for the key role he played on those great Habs teams... so great that he inspired a trophy (maybe they'll change the Selke to the Gainey trophy one day). Hopefully he can take time out from the trade deadline stress to enjoy the accolades - the man's been through a lot, both in triumph and tragedy.

:hlogo:

Now that I think about it, he's probably my favourite retired Habs (though there are also Richard, Roy and Gino Odjick hehe) and I'm going to love this ceremony since I usually love everything he says.

It also means there are going to be plenty of interviews and once he's on the cameras, I'm sure reporters are going to sneak in a trade front question or two.

Gainey........ who is Gainey??

I saw him in his prime.

He was a power forward with little offensive

ability. As little as his offensive pontentail

was, he was a power forward supreme.

He laid on hits like nobody in his era, and

few today.

I was at a game, when Gainey with 2 seperated

shoulders. Laid a hit on a opposing player, even

though his team had NO chance.

He's my Hero !!!!

Geez, at least the second time this year Columbus has had to sit around while a ceremony goes on. Earlier in the year they played St. Louis on Al MacInnis night.

Anyways, congrats Bob! You certainly deserve it.

Apologies Fanpuck, didn't know it was a joke.

Great day for all involved. I so want him to do Johnny's WWF suggestion, though, with Hossa and Tanguay coming out, ripping their shirts off and whaling on Ryder and whoever else is traded.

Great, and you've expressed yourself clearly in the appropriate places - the game thread and goalie thread both. This thread is about Gainey. Do you really think a night to celebrate Gainey's career and jersey retirement is somehow tarnished by something as trivial as who the current starting goalie is (who happens to be a Gainey addition)? Time for perspective.

Now, to avoid this thread de-generating into a goalie debate:

Congratulations to Bob and his family - a well-deserved honour for the key role he played on those great Habs teams... so great that he inspired a trophy (maybe they'll change the Selke to the Gainey trophy one day). Hopefully he can take time out from the trade deadline stress to enjoy the accolades - the man's been through a lot, both in triumph and tragedy.

:hlogo:

Goalie debate........?????????? I thought it was about Vince Mcmann announcing Hossa as a Montreal Canadien, then a steel cage comes down from the roof. While Hossa and Ryder bang chairs over each others heads, cannons shoot off and injins chase each other around the arena.

:o

Although, I won't be at the game I will stand and clap in front of thee TV!

That will be a funny sight.

Bob hasn't aged a bit in the last thirty years, he looked like forty-year-old man in his twenties and he looks like a forty-year-old man in his fifties.