So It's Boston in the 1st round

MAK

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Habs in fuçkin 5! This has been my fantasy all year! (One of them anyway. Most of the other ones have something to do with Jennifer Connelly).

I was thinking there'd be a possibility of us playing Philly if they lost in OT, but since they lost the regular season match-up to Boston, there's no chance. I'm glad, in a way, because their special teams could have handled our special teams, and without our PPGs, we're not that great of a team.

That said, as much as we want to beat Boston and look ahead to who we play in round 2 (if we finish 2nd, it's the Caps or NJ/NY, if we finish 1st, it's NJ/NY or a low-seeded dark horse), we have to physically push our heads back to concentrate on this round. It was well noted that our young roster may find themselves swept up in an emotion of pride and feel they deserve to waltz through four rounds to win the 25th cup in 100 years, and that could cost us the first series.

But I'm hoping that Hamrlik (who has played in the playoffs or four different teams) and Brisebois (who doesn't necessarily have to play, but was there in '93) and Dandenault (with his three cups) can talk some sense into our defence (Komisarek, O'Byrne, Jorges and Streit) and particularly our goalies, who, we sometimes forget, are the youngest tandem in the league.

I'm hoping too that Kovalev and Koivu can talk to our top two lines, reign in the expectations of the Kostitsyns, Plekanec, Grabovski, Latendresse, even Higgins and Ryder, and remind them that what will clinch the Bruins series is secondary scoring.

And finally, the key part of our survival of the upcoming Bear Scare, are our grinder/shutdown lines. Smolinski has been great of late, and his faceoffs will be essential against Savard (who is a whiz). Begin, Kostopolous, Lapierre will all need to be aggressive, get under the skin of Chara and especially Thomas, and draw a few penalties.

This is a team who, when they were fighting to clinch a playoff spot, went 2-5-4, which tells us that they (a.) can't hold on to leads late in games (our specialty; see: NYR), (b.) can't finish when the pressure's on, and/or (c.) don't have a winning mentality. They also are low scoring, with 5 goals in the final 4 games, and will likely hope to hold onto one-goal leads.

But there is no doubt they'll play the underdog card, and that idea will be seconded by most of the idiots like Cherry or ESPN. We can't allow ourselves to be made into (or believe we're) Goliath.

Now, let's cheer on those Phillies, because it's been close to 25 years since we last won the Eastern Conference.

I was thinking there'd be a possibility of us playing Philly if they lost in OT, but since they lost the regular season match-up to Boston, there's no chance. I'm glad, in a way, because their special teams could have handled our special teams, and without our PPGs, we're not that great of a team.

That said, as much as we want to beat Boston and look ahead to who we play in round 2 (if we finish 2nd, it's the Caps or NJ/NY, if we finish 1st, it's NJ/NY or a low-seeded dark horse), we have to physically push our heads back to concentrate on this round. It was well noted that our young roster may find themselves swept up in an emotion of pride and feel they deserve to waltz through four rounds to win the 25th cup in 100 years, and that could cost us the first series.

But I'm hoping that Hamrlik (who has played in the playoffs or four different teams) and Brisebois (who doesn't necessarily have to play, but was there in '93) and Dandenault (with his three cups) can talk some sense into our defence (Komisarek, O'Byrne, Jorges and Streit) and particularly our goalies, who, we sometimes forget, are the youngest tandem in the league.

I'm hoping too that Kovalev and Koivu can talk to our top two lines, reign in the expectations of the Kostitsyns, Plekanec, Grabovski, Latendresse, even Higgins and Ryder, and remind them that what will clinch the Bruins series is secondary scoring.

And finally, the key part of our survival of the upcoming Bear Scare, are our grinder/shutdown lines. Smolinski has been great of late, and his faceoffs will be essential against Savard (who is a whiz). Begin, Kostopolous, Lapierre will all need to be aggressive, get under the skin of Chara and especially Thomas, and draw a few penalties.

This is a team who, when they were fighting to clinch a playoff spot, went 2-5-4, which tells us that they (a.) can't hold on to leads late in games (our specialty; see: NYR), (b.) can't finish when the pressure's on, and/or (c.) don't have a winning mentality. They also are low scoring, with 5 goals in the final 4 games, and will likely hope to hold onto one-goal leads.

But there is no doubt they'll play the underdog card, and that idea will be seconded by most of the idiots like Cherry or ESPN. We can't allow ourselves to be made into (or believe we're) Goliath.

Now, let's cheer on those Phillies, because it's been close to 25 years since we last won the Eastern Conference.

I agree that they've been cold lately and that it shows a lack of character. But they are a good offensive team, at one point they were ahead of us in goals for (which probably meant 3rd overall) - I'm not sure where they stand now, but I'd be surprised if they dropped out of the top 10. Though, like us, a lot of their goals come mostly on the PP.

Personally, I don't fear Philly at all. I actually don't anyone that much, after the first round, I'm probably going to be nervous no matter who we draw.

How can you not be happy with drawing a team that you have won 11 straight against and have not

lost 4 times to in the last 2 full seasons?

If it was Ottawa it would be I am worried that they will wake up and turn it on.

If it was Washington it was they have the 4th best record since November and Ovechkin scares me.

If it was the Rangers it would be we struggle in Madison Square Gardens and they owned us before that comeback.

If it was New Jersey everybody would be afraid that Brodeur would steal a series.

If it was Philly we would be worried about them knocking out a star with their cheap play

etc etc etc

This is the perfect matchup. Style, talent etc.

If they can't beat Boston in the first round, I hate to break it to you, they were not going anywhere anyways.

According to TSN, Savard is skating, so I expect he'll be back for game one. Remember, it was Begin who 'broke' his back, so I wouldn't be surprised if Stevie gets hunted a bit. That said, I hope we can turn up the heat on Savard and convince him to rest again. His face-offs and playmaking abilities are not to be underestimated.

Re: Bergeron (who eats Habs for breakfast - seriously, look at his points record against us), Patrice is skating, although in non-contact drills only. Claude Julien told the AP the team is not going to activate Bergeron until he is 100 percent healed from a severe concussion. But don't be surprised if he gets dressed a little earlier if we take the first two games.

Did anybody hear Cherry on CBC say that he is skeptical on the habs chances in the playoffs ?

I guess he only believes in the leafs and the bruins.

Can someone turn his show off, please. It's embarrassing to the country.

Well, Cherry was a real class act last night :lool:

Droning about left-wingers (I mean the Gore and Suzuki variety), raining on the Kovalev parade, and just generally throwing a tantrum since the Leafs bombed out.

Well, Cherry was a real class act last night :lool:

Droning about left-wingers (I mean the Gore and Suzuki variety), raining on the Kovalev parade, and just generally throwing a tantrum since the Leafs bombed out.

I think CBC should just show the leafs and their summer homes during the next two months ( kinda like cribs ) instead of habs playoff games and do us all a favor.

My favourite quote after last night's game (from cbssportsline.com):

The Canadiens have a two-point lead on second-place Pittsburgh, which plays its final game Sunday in Philadelphia. Montreal will claim its first conference title in 19 years if the Penguins, who also have 47 wins, lose to the Flyers.

"Obviously it would be great, but they don't really hang conference titles in this rink, they raise Stanley Cup banners,"

Q: Quote from???

A: Carbo

.........and I hope the current crop will be made to realize this!

Montreal has a much better team, but i fear if Bergeron comes back, that might ignite a fire.

Bergeron isn't supposed to be back for the first round....and that's a good thing for the Habs!

"Obviously it would be great, but they don't really hang conference titles in this rink, they raise Stanley Cup banners,"

Actually, i think it was Carey Price who made that statement!

How can you not be happy with drawing a team that you have won 11 straight against and have not

lost 4 times to in the last 2 full seasons?

If it was Ottawa it would be I am worried that they will wake up and turn it on.

If it was Washington it was they have the 4th best record since November and Ovechkin scares me.

If it was the Rangers it would be we struggle in Madison Square Gardens and they owned us before that comeback.

If it was New Jersey everybody would be afraid that Brodeur would steal a series.

If it was Philly we would be worried about them knocking out a star with their cheap play

etc etc etc

This is the perfect matchup. Style, talent etc.

If they can't beat Boston in the first round, I hate to break it to you, they were not going anywhere anyways.

You're right, of course. But I disagree with the last line. My premise for this is that playoff hockey often involves a learning curve for a young team. The danger in playing Boston is that we'll be overconfident that they'll be pressure-free and playing with passion, hungry for the upset. I can imagine three scenarios here:

1 -the one I sketched in my earlier post, whereby the Bruins catch us napping and then pull off a miraculous upset through a combination of our getting rattled and their getting the wind in their sails. It's unlikely, but it could happen with a team as inexperienced as ours.

2 -the slightly more likely scenario of them catching us napping, but us waking up after a scare and dispatching them in a closer series than anyone expected.

3 -the most likely scenario: we kick their asses.

But my point is that it's a fine line between 1) and 2). The team that goes through the scare and survives might well prove a tougher team to beat in subsequent rounds, so in a weird way 2) might be the optimal scenario (although you obviously have to prefer the third scenario). In any case, a team that is given a scare by Boston is not necessarily a team that's 'not going to go anywhere anyways.' That's all I'm really saying; that, and that a less obvious mismatch in Round One would be better for this team developmentally.

Nonetheless, I'll take the Bruins :)

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Bergeron isn't supposed to be back for the first round....and that's a good thing for the Habs!

Actually, i think it was Carey Price who made that statement!

Yep, it was Price.

"Obviously it would be great, but they don't really hang conference titles in this rink, they raise Stanley Cup banners,"[/b]

Love the quote, but it was Price who owns that one ^_^

Go to habsinsideout.com for audio after games.

Boston Globe article:

Next stop: Montreal.

The Bruins put the regular season in the past last night, limping away from a 3-0 sleeper hold slapped on by the Sabres before 17,565 at TD Banknorth Garden, and have the following staring them down: a Cup-poised, bleu, blanc, et rouge phenomenon, the pride of an entire hockey-mad province, that's played eight swagger-filled games against the Bruins this season and not lost one.

Rest at: http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins...face_canadiens/

Rites of Spring: Boston-Montreal Again in the Stanley Cup Playoffs

The Boston Bruins and Montreal Canadiens will square off once again in the Stanley Cup playoffs for the 31st time in history.

The Canadiens have gone 23-7 in this one-sided rivalry, humiliating the Bruins seemingly every time out. The Bruins, meanwhile, were successful only during the early 1990s, when five of their series victories (1988, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1994) came in a seven-year span against Patrick Roy.

Rest of article: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/16354-N...ey_Cup_Playoffs

OK, guys enough of the being scared about other teams. Montreal finished with most goals, best power play and first in the east so far. IT WAS NOT A FLUKE! I doubted them at the start, they converted me with consistancy and are winners.

No more loser talk Habs rule the roost in the East and other teams better watch out for the Mighty Habs.

(Did I do a good job with my Pep talk?)

ya sure did I been trying to say that all year. This is one hell of a team no matter what happens from here on in. :ghg: :hlogo: :ghg:

Rites of Spring: Boston-Montreal Again in the Stanley Cup Playoffs

The Boston Bruins and Montreal Canadiens will square off once again in the Stanley Cup playoffs for the 31st time in history.

The Canadiens have gone 23-7 in this one-sided rivalry, humiliating the Bruins seemingly every time out. The Bruins, meanwhile, were successful only during the early 1990s, when five of their series victories (1988, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1994) came in a seven-year span against Patrick Roy.

Rest of article: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/16354-N...ey_Cup_Playoffs

Hey Kozed is she taking her panties off? or what? :clap:

You're right, of course. But I disagree with the last line. My premise for this is that playoff hockey often involves a learning curve for a young team. The danger in playing Boston is that we'll be overconfident that they'll be pressure-free and playing with passion, hungry for the upset. I can imagine three scenarios here:

1 -the one I sketched in my earlier post, whereby the Bruins catch us napping and then pull off a miraculous upset through a combination of our getting rattled and their getting the wind in their sails. It's unlikely, but it could happen with a team as inexperienced as ours.

2 -the slightly more likely scenario of them catching us napping, but us waking up after a scare and dispatching them in a closer series than anyone expected.

3 -the most likely scenario: we kick their asses.

But my point is that it's a fine line between 1) and 2). The team that goes through the scare and survives might well prove a tougher team to beat in subsequent rounds, so in a weird way 2) might be the optimal scenario (although you obviously have to prefer the third scenario). In any case, a team that is given a scare by Boston is not necessarily a team that's 'not going to go anywhere anyways.' That's all I'm really saying; that, and that a less obvious mismatch in Round One would be better for this team developmentally.

Nonetheless, I'll take the Bruins :)

I don't think they will take them lightly. They had every reason every game this year to take them lightly and did not.

Repeatedly on this site people mentioned how the Bruins were due and game after game the Habs put up a W.

I think this is about styles. The Bruins do not match up well with the Canadiens. Their goaltending is shakey, they have a slow

plodding defense and their trapping style has a hard time containing the Habs team speed. They also lack Playoff experience as well.

Anything can happen in the playoffs. Mentally weak teams can collapse and upsets can occur. I don't think the Habs are the mentally weak

team of collapses past. I think the Habs have shown an ability to rise to the occasion all season. They can slow it down and be successful

and they can open it up and be succesful.

For the Habs to lose

1. Julien needs to outcoach Carbo,

2. Thomas needs to outplay Price,

3. the Bruins have to either

A. Become disciplined (something they have not done all season)

B. Habs PP has to disappear

4. the Bruins top 2 lines have to outplay the Canadiens top 2 lines

None of these things has happened for 1 game this season. So why would I expect that it would happen now?

With the Bruins youth and Chara's poor playoff history, Montreal could just as easily come out in Game 1, score 7 and

watch Boston implode.

Marc Savard - 0 NHL playoff games

Tim Thomas - 0 NHL playoff games

Phil Kessel - 0 NHL playoff games

Dennis Wideman - 0 NHL playoff games

David Krejci - 0 NHL playoff games

Milan Lucic - 0 NHL playoff games

Marc Stuart - 0 NHL playoff games

Glen Metropolit - 3 NHL playoff games

I expect Boston to grind out 1 maybe 2 wins and Montreal to win in 5-6 games.

If the Habs were playing a healthy Ottawa squad with all that playoff experience I might be a little worried about momentum rolling up

and taking control. But the experience of the management staff coupled with the experience of the Calder Cup run last season, I believe

they are more prepared then you give them credit for.

Edited by Wamsley01

I don't think they will take them lightly. They had every reason every game this year to take them lightly and did not.

Repeatedly on this site people mentioned how the Bruins were due and game after game the Habs put up a W.

I think this is about styles. The Bruins do not match up well with the Canadiens. Their goaltending is shakey, they have a slow

plodding defense and their trapping style has a hard time containing the Habs team speed. They also lack Playoff experience as well.

Anything can happen in the playoffs. Mentally weak teams can collapse and upsets can occur. I don't think the Habs are the mentally weak

team of collapses past. I think the Habs have shown an ability to rise to the occasion all season. They can slow it down and be successful

and they can open it up and be succesful.

For the Habs to lose

1. Julien needs to outcoach Carbo,

2. Thomas needs to outplay Price,

3. the Bruins have to either

A. Become disciplined (something they have not done all season)

B. Habs PP has to disappear

4. the Bruins top 2 lines have to outplay the Canadiens top 2 lines

None of these things has happened for 1 game this season. So why would I expect that it would happen now?

With the Bruins youth and Chara's poor playoff history, Montreal could just as easily come out in Game 1, score 7 and

watch Boston implode.

Marc Savard - 0 NHL playoff games

Tim Thomas - 0 NHL playoff games

Phil Kessel - 0 NHL playoff games

Dennis Wideman - 0 NHL playoff games

David Krejci - 0 NHL playoff games

Milan Lucic - 0 NHL playoff games

Marc Stuart - 0 NHL playoff games

Glen Metropolit - 3 NHL playoff games

I expect Boston to grind out 1 maybe 2 wins and Montreal to win in 5-6 games.

If the Habs were playing a healthy Ottawa squad with all that playoff experience I might be a little worried about momentum rolling up and taking control. But the experience of the management staff coupled with the experience of the Calder Cup run last season, I believe they are more prepared then you give them credit for.

Well written/researched post.

As much as there is pressure on our side, the three keys to Boston winning are Savard, Chara and Thomas. Bergeron is not a factor in this series, as even if he comes back, he would not be the all-star Boston wants.

Savard: If he can get back in shape and ignore his back injury, his playmaking abilities and leadership will inspire the other forwards, who have been crying out for someone to rally them all season. Bergeron would have been that man, but got injured. If we can contain Savard (which, with his back injury, won't be as hard as usual), we should do fine.

Chara: An all star, and potential Norris winner. If we can get under his skin, get him in the penalty box, and take advantage of it, then we're fine. But if we allow too many of his booming point shots, or give him too much respect in the defensive zone, we'll be in trouble. I don't think we had as much trouble during the season, but the playoffs are a whole new breed.

Thomas: If we can figure him out early, get him pulled in one of the games, it could burn us. We suck when back-up goalies are brought in (Irbe/Weeks, Gerber/Ward, etc), so hopefully Fernandez doesn't turn out to be a Bruins saviour. Ideally, we want to win every game by two goals (minimising the wear and tear by going into OT), and not score too many in quick succession that could open Pandora's Box and see Manny get in the heads of our offense.

For all of you who seem to thikn that the Habs have many players without any playof experience, i'd just like to point out that the Bruins have just as many(if not more) players without any playoff experience.

I'm starting to thikn that if the Habs can make it past the pooh-Bears, I wouldn'T be surprised to see our boys make it to the Conference finals.

For all of you who seem to thikn that the Habs have many players without any playof experience, i'd just like to point out that the Bruins have just as many(if not more) players without any playoff experience.

I'm starting to thikn that if the Habs can make it past the pooh-Bears, I wouldn'T be surprised to see our boys make it to the Conference finals.

You mean WHEN the Habs make it past the Bruins, Habs will make it to the conference finals!

You do not win a division, conference, be #1 on offense and power play and become a bad team. Boston, Philly and Ottawa are the weak teams headed into the playoffs. :hockey::hockey::hockey:

NOT THE HABS

...please note the smile faced guys at the end of my statement, I am not yelling..... :hockey:

Edited by InsaneHABSfan

Some are looking at worst case scenario's and ifs, ands or buts.

Like, the Bruins are due, Habs are inexperienced.

That is true, but it is a negative, worst case view of what has been a positive season. The Habs are matching up against

a team that they have owned (minus 1988-1994) for their whole existence, have won 11 straight against, and defeated

two times in the last 6 years as a severe underdog. I don't understand the fear.

You don't defeat a team 11 straight times on bounces and luck. They destroyed Boston this year, which can be seen

in the obscene goal differential. The Bruins are a young learning team as well, and even though they have nothing to lose

they also could quit and rest on their laurels when it gets tough because they have already achieved their goal.

Or, if the Habs had gone 5-3 against Boston this year:

then the Habs would have finished with 98 points

and the Bruins with 100 points

Indicating that their is not much difference between the 2 teams.

That never happened, it was never close to happening. They gained 1 of a possible 16 points against the Canadiens this season.

No excuses. They lost, the past indicates what really happened, not what could have happened.

This is simple. If the Canadiens match the Bruins intensity and work ethic, they will win the Series.

Some are looking at worst case scenario's and ifs, ands or buts.

Like, the Bruins are due, Habs are inexperienced.

That is true, but it is a negative, worst case view of what has been a positive season. The Habs are matching up against

a team that they have owned (minus 1988-1994) for their whole existence, have won 11 straight against, and defeated

two times in the last 6 years as a severe underdog. I don't understand the fear.

You don't defeat a team 11 straight times on bounces and luck. They destroyed Boston this year, which can be seen

in the obscene goal differential. The Bruins are a young learning team as well, and even though they have nothing to lose

they also could quit and rest on their laurels when it gets tough because they have already achieved their goal.

Or, if the Habs had gone 5-3 against Boston this year:

then the Habs would have finished with 98 points

and the Bruins with 100 points

Indicating that their is not much difference between the 2 teams.

That never happened, it was never close to happening. They gained 1 of a possible 16 points against the Canadiens this season.

No excuses. They lost, the past indicates what really happened, not what could have happened.

This is simple. If the Canadiens match the Bruins intensity and work ethic, they will win the Series.

Finally a breath of fresh air. Nice summary of the rivalry as I do not see Boston beating Montreal.