Habs Re-Sign Lapierre

koivu-11

Corus Sports citing CKAC radio in Montreal reports the Canadiens have re-signed forward Maxim Lapierre to a two-year contract. Financial terms haven't been disclosed. Lapierre was eligible for RFA status in July.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Hat tip to "Canaan". Analysis to follow soon on my blog. This signing will be one of GM Bob Gainey's easiest this off-season.

I think Gainey gave him just under 1 Million per year.

Here's the source even if its spector's im sure its true ;)

http://www.spectorshockey.net/index.php?op...rs&Itemid=9

Edited by koivu-11

Good to see him signed. I hope he really works on his agitator role better for next season.

I'd like to see him turn into a Ian Laperrière...i think thats how it's spelled.

Edited by koivu-11

Anyone else here a little skeptical that there's been no official release from the Canadiens, nor any mention of it from any other source than CKAC, who's made mistakes before trying to break stories? And this isn't today's news, it came out Friday afternoon, so there was plenty of time for someone to say something.

If the team makes press releases for minor league signings, they'd do one for Lapierre.

Either a deal isn't done, or it's not getting announced any time soon (and they'll wait to announce a few others.) Considering the relative ease of getting Lapierre signed, I'd suggest the latter, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

I would think that the deal is likely done in principle, but not officially submitted yet.

It's not major news even when the deal is announced anyways, so there's little incentive for publications to announce it before it occurs. CKAC is just reporting what they know (supposedly), but we'll see.

Anyone else here a little skeptical that there's been no official release from the Canadiens, nor any mention of it from any other source than CKAC, who's made mistakes before trying to break stories? And this isn't today's news, it came out Friday afternoon, so there was plenty of time for someone to say something.

If the team makes press releases for minor league signings, they'd do one for Lapierre.

Either a deal isn't done, or it's not getting announced any time soon (and they'll wait to announce a few others.) Considering the relative ease of getting Lapierre signed, I'd suggest the latter, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Maybe they might want it to make it public, with more then one signing ?

Possibly like Kostitsyn and Lapierre both being signed and told to the papers as a big thing?

Lapierre was part of the offer Bob made to Waddel to acquire Hossa.

A RFA as low value but a cheap centre below 1 million with NHL experience as some.

If Bob is working on a trade for the draft days he is better armed with signed players.

Either trading one of these centers Grabovski, Lapierre or Chipchura.

Agreed. I checkd out RDS.ca and there was no mention of the Lapierre signing!

However, they did mention that the Habs and the Andrei Kostitsyn clan are negotiating at the moment.

Apparently, some Russian team is willing to offer A. Kostitsyn a huge contract. Let's hope we can sign him to a deal before an outside offer is made!

The article is in french!

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/252937.html

Edited by Habsfan

Agreed. I checkd out RDS.ca and there was no mention of the Lapierre signing!

However, they did mention that the Habs and the Andrei Kostitsyn clan are negotiating at the moment.

Apparently, some Russian team is willing to offer A. Kostitsyn a huge contract. Let's hope we can sign him to a deal before an outside offer is made!

The article is in french!

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/252937.html

In English

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=240192&amp...os=secStory_nhl

Should be. My guess is 650 000$ a season at best.

He didn't put up enough points to be making a million a season. Either way, Gainey learned the hard way with Begin that you don't pay grinders 1M$ a season.

Should be. My guess is 650 000$ a season at best.

He didn't put up enough points to be making a million a season. Either way, Gainey learned the hard way with Begin that you don't pay grinders 1M$ a season.

I get the feeling that Gainey doesn't lose any sleep over how much Begin makes. Begin makes a little more than half the league average... if he's overpaid, it's just barely. Kostopolous makes $900,000 and no one seems to care. I expect Max is making closer to $1m than to his previous wage (which was $562,500). Just his qualifying offer alone would've given Lapierre about a $60,000 raise.

Yea, he's probably 850k 1 year, 950k the next.

Begin earned every penny down the stretch andf the playoffs. As many people forget, the high priced players score goals, in the playoffs the grinders make there money. I noticed the 4th line alot more then any of the other lines during crunch time.

I have no problem with grinders getting around a million.

Funny how CKAC is 12 hours before everybody. Got to give them some credit. RDS never goes

for the news. TSN was a couple minute before.

Funny how Lapierre is one of the first RFA on the list. It gives trading space before the draft. Habs cannot

leave Chipchura forever with the Dogs it's either they trade him or they make space for him.

Following this logic, Halak is the signing.

The smolinsky line was the one i was talking about, 3rd line or 4th line, either way they were the habs top line in the playoffs.

I agree Lapierre needs some decent wingers, Lats isn't a 3rd line grinder. Lats also can't keep up with Dandy and lapierre who played alot together during the year.

I have a buddy who works at Le Mouskadin restaurant in Montreal. He told me that a few nights ago, Lapierre was in and they had practically finalized a two year deal.

Wow for next year 575 000$ is cheap, it saves money against the cap.

As long as there is no trade clause.

Good news indeed.

well, the cap is determined by AAV, no? So $687,500 each year. Still great against the cap.