Number 33 retired this november

Habsfan

We have 2 banners we wouldn't have had without him, and he was the best goalie of his time, and maybe ever. He should have his number retired. Surprised it is now but, why not? Figured he would have to wait, but I was wrong. If not for incompitant management he would have retired a habs and we would probably have won a cup or 2 more due to him.

If anyone is ever mentioning retiring Tremble or Houle.....

There has been no player since Roy to qualify though.

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have 2 banners we wouldn't have had without him, and he was the best goalie of his time, and maybe ever. He should have his number retired. Surprised it is now but, why not? Figured he would have to wait, but I was wrong. If not for incompitant management he would have retired a habs and we would probably have won a cup or 2 more due to him.

If anyone is ever mentioning retiring Tremble or Houle.....

There has been no player since Roy to qualify though.

I agree that all the stats are there to back your and everyone else that agree with you, YET with sorrow/anger I disagree (very strongly) with the possibility of retiring St. Pat's number (check my all time fav Habs). The LONE reason for that is the way/moment he asked to get traded. He did not have to go up to Corey then at that moment, HE could have faked an being injured and stayed home till the HABS got a real deal for him.

Fine wanna leave... don't let the door knob get stuck up y...., but if the fans ment anything to you. YOU gotta let the office peeps do their thing, EVEN IF THEY ARE BBBBBBIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRR IDIOTS then you.

Sorry if I offend anyone of ya'll, my heart is still broken from that ordeal and I really mean that fe real.

I agree that all the stats are there to back your and everyone else that agree with you, YET with sorrow/anger I disagree (very strongly) with the possibility of retiring St. Pat's number (check my all time fav Habs). The LONE reason for that is the way/moment he asked to get traded. He did not have to go up to Corey then at that moment, HE could have faked an being injured and stayed home till the HABS got a real deal for him.

Fine wanna leave... don't let the door knob get stuck up y...., but if the fans ment anything to you. YOU gotta let the office peeps do their thing, EVEN IF THEY ARE BBBBBBIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRR IDIOTS then you.

Sorry if I offend anyone of ya'll, my heart is still broken from that ordeal and I really mean that fe real.

Hee hee, I at least have recovered, the wounds balmed by the rise of this great young team of ours. But I admire your passion for your team :clap:

We all agree that Roy's departure was classless and that he should not have done what he did. However, he is NOT to blame for the absurdly rushed dealings that led to one of hockey's all-time worst trades. That was a conscious decision by management in crisis mode. They could have spent some time shopping Roy around. They didn't. Because they were idiots.

The other thing is that Roy's fierce competitive drive and his formidable PRIDE were what made him what he was - one of the greatest champions and competitors in the history of hockey's greatest franchise. He reacted true to character (the character that made him great, that won us Cups), after having been deliberately, publicly humiliated by his coach, which never, ever should have happened. You can't embrace the Roy who winked at Tomas Sandstrom after stoning him in the Finals, who stood up in the room and vowed to his team that he would shut the door, who carried a good team on his back until they became great and won 10 straight OT wins in a row, and then condemn the Roy who stormed out after being publicly crapped on. Exactly the same qualities that gave us the first gave us the second.

This isn't so much to say that he was *right.* It's to say that this is water under the bridge, and we should cherish the memories of this great player, and realize that he gave us far, far more with that competitive pride than he ever cost us. If not for Patrick Roy, I never would have been able to stand in the Montreal Forum and watch the Canadiens lift the Stanley Cup. That counts for infinitely more to me than that one graceless gesture.

Hee hee, I at least have recovered, the wounds balmed by the rise of this great young team of ours. But I admire your passion for your team :clap:

We all agree that Roy's departure was classless and that he should not have done what he did. However, he is NOT to blame for the absurdly rushed dealings that led to one of hockey's all-time worst trades. That was a conscious decision by management in crisis mode. They could have spent some time shopping Roy around. They didn't. Because they were idiots.

The other thing is that Roy's fierce competitive drive and his formidable PRIDE were what made him what he was - one of the greatest champions and competitors in the history of hockey's greatest franchise. He reacted true to character (the character that made him great, that won us Cups), after having been deliberately, publicly humiliated by his coach, which never, ever should have happened. You can't embrace the Roy who winked at Tomas Sandstrom after stoning him in the Finals, who stood up in the room and vowed to his team that he would shut the door, who carried a good team on his back until they became great and won 10 straight OT wins in a row, and then condemn the Roy who stormed out after being publicly crapped on. Exactly the same qualities that gave us the first gave us the second.

This isn't so much to say that he was *right.* It's to say that this is water under the bridge, and we should cherish the memories of this great player, and realize that he gave us far, far more with that competitive pride than he ever cost us. If not for Patrick Roy, I never would have been able to stand in the Montreal Forum and watch the Canadiens lift the Stanley Cup. That counts for infinitely more to me than that one graceless gesture.

Well put, man. You sum it up perfectly. It's hard to remain rational for something like this, but I think that's as close as it gets to objectivity.

This is one of the best posts I've read on this site since I got here....very well said! :clap:

And here is a side thought....

When St Patrick left he said he was taking the ghosts with him.

We haven't won since.

Maybe, just maybe, when he is honored at centre ice he will release the spirits into "The Bell".

If anyone on that team was holding the torch it was him, and it is very possible that for all to be right with the universe, 33 must be raised.

Then....

25 in 100 !

Man why did you have to be so right now I have to agree his # should be retired (your thaughts have been conved with great passion and great truth. I thank you for it :clap: ),

AND yet I must curse my pride that tells me let's put anasterix next to the #. So just incase someone wants to wear the # we don't need to ask Pat if it's okay. That someone to me would have to be Mario Lemieux, or someone like, ya know, that would make me disfigure the banner a little. I'm not tring to be a smart a**, it's just that: like our national Pride King have alot of pride. I for this team.

Just as all on this site that write in and ones that don't, I have my priceless story/memory(mine revolves around the 86 cup and my great uncle, may he RIP). This TEAM, MY HABS are the reason for this joy in my life. My pride will never allow me to fully accept #33 hanging off the rafters. And again thanks to you: The Chicoutimi Cucumber I will have space on my tatooed heart to understand the worth and value of that banner (IF ever), But most importantly I am still safe from becoming something far worse then someone that disagrees like a bitter old man: A LAFFS FAN ^_^

And again I truely and sincerly apologise to any and all that are offended by these sentiments of mine, that is not my point.

From TSN.ca

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=249142&amp...s=topStory_main

CANADIENS TO RETIRE ROY'S NUMBER AT BELL CENTRE

TSN.CA STAFF

9/11/2008 12:20:28 PM

The Montreal Canadiens have called a news conference for Thursday afternoon where the club is expected to announce that Patrick Roy's No. 33 will be raised to the rafters of the Bell Centre this season.

Watch it live on TSN.ca at 3pm et/Noon pt.

The Hall of Fame goaltender led Montreal to Stanley Cups in 1986 and 1993 and is considered as one of the top goaltenders in NHL history, posting a record 551 wins in 19 seasons with the Canadiens and the Colorado Avalanche.

The announcement officially welcomes the star netminder back to the Canadiens family. His career in Montreal ended abruptly in Dec. 1995, when he reacted with anger when left in goal by coach Mario Tremblay while being shelled by the Detroit Red Wings. He demanded a trade and was sent to Colorado, where he won a Cup with the Avalanche the following spring.

The Canadiens have been retiring numbers of their past greats each year leading up to their 100th anniversary in December 2009. Roy's jersey would be the 15th to be taken out of circulation, joining the numbers of Jacques Plante (1), Doug Harvey (2), Jean Beliveau (4), Bernard Geoffrion (5), Howie Morenz (7), Maurice Richard (9), Guy Lafleur (10), Yvan Cournoyer and Dickie Moore (12), Henri Richard (16), Serge Savard (18), Larry Robinson (19), Bob Gainey (23) and Ken Dryden (29).

Roy will also be the sixth player in NHL history to have his number retired by two different NHL teams, joining Wayne Gretzky (Oilers and Kings), Mark Messier (Oilers and Rangers), Ray Bourque (Avalanche and Bruins), Gordie Howe (Red Wings and Whalers) and Bobby Hull (Blackhawks and Jets).

Roy, who shares the same birthday as fellow Hall of Famer Mario Lemieux, was selected by the Canadiens in the third round of the 1984 NHL Entry Draft.

The Quebec City native holds or shares six team records with the Canadiens, including most combined playoff and regular season games (665), most minutes played including playoffs (38,882), most games played in one season including playoffs (82 in 1992-93), fewest losses in one season (5 in 1988-89), longest home winning streak (14 from 12/12/1988 - 03/22/1989) and longest home undefeated streak (29 from 10/08/1988 - 04/01/1989).

Roy also won most of his hardware with the Canadiens, with two Conn Smythe Trophies as playoff MVP, three Vezina Trophies and four Jennings Trophies.

In 12 seasons with Montreal, Roy compiled 289 career wins, 29 shoutouts and a 2.78 goals-against average. He also had a 70-42 record in the postseason with a 2.46 goals-against average.

Roy's No. 33 was also retired by the Avalanche in 2003.

Edited by Habsfan

Here's another interesting (but somewhat older Article from TSN)

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=184146&amp...topRelated_main

DUTHIE: PATRICK ROY'S RIDE

JAMES DUTHIE

11/13/2006 10:18:37 AM

I only posted the link, but it's worth the read!

22nd of November is the Date.

I am in town for the Grey Cup that weekend. I just bought a single off StubHub for $175.

I will not be missing that night, even though I have to go alone!

Edited by Wamsley01

I am in town for the Grey Cup that weekend. I just bought a single off StubHub for $175.

I will not be missing that night, even though I have to go alone!

Hey, if you're interested, maybe we can meet up before the game? I will be there for sure as well(i've got access to my dad's Company season tickets, and I get first pick of the litter hehehe!!! :clap: )

I assume you are talking about a ticket for the Habs vs Boston game...and not the Grey Cup?

Anyways, maybe we could grab a beer before the game (or after the game).

ON a different note, what a great day to be a Habs fan!!! :hlogo: :clap: :hlogo:

Edited by Habsfan

Hey, if you're interested, maybe we can meet up before the game? I will be there for sure as well(i've got access to my dad's Company season tickets, and I get first pick of the litter hehehe!!! :clap: )

Anyways, maybe we could grab a beer before the game (or after the game).

ON a different note, what a great day to be a Habs fan!!! :hlogo: :clap: :hlogo:

I am most likely flying solo. I could use the company.

I'm in :)

Let's hope we have better luck meeting up than JMMR and I in Buffalo

Edited by Wamsley01

I'll give you my cell number a few days before the game, and you can call me the day before the game!

Yeah sorry about that, my cell died and I got to the game late.

We will meet this year for sure.