Three players that are starting to be a concern

REV-G

When you look at our top three lines I think there are some players that are doing what we hoped they would, but some are starting to be a concern after 13 games. I've grouped them into three levels.

The top level has Tanguay, 7G, 8A, and is +5; next is Markov with 1 G, 13A and +5; Koivu with 5G, 8A and +9; Lang with 4G, 5A and +6. These guys are either doing what we expected or even exceeding a little.

The next group has Kovalev, 5G, 7A and is +1; Plekanec, 4 G, 6A and is even.

Then my third group has Latendresse, 2G, 6A and is +5; Sergei Kostitsyn, 3G, 4A and is +2 and Andrei Kotitsyn, 1G, 3A and +5. I didn;t rate Higgins because of his injury time out.

I think the areas of concern are that Kovalev and Plekanec are +1 and even, which I think is a real concern fro players who were arguably our top line last year. And then the second major area for concern is the goal production for Laatendresse and the two Kostitsyn's. If we are going to match or exceed last year, I think these two areas are the first ones that are going to need to improve. Otherwise I wonder if a call-up from Hamilton may be needed to maybe light some fires.

When you look at our top three lines I think there are some players that are doing what we hoped they would, but some are starting to be a concern after 13 games. I've grouped them into three levels.

The top level has Tanguay, 7G, 8A, and is +5; next is Markov with 1 G, 13A and +5; Koivu with 5G, 8A and +9; Lang with 4G, 5A and +6. These guys are either doing what we expected or even exceeding a little.

The next group has Kovalev, 5G, 7A and is +1; Plekanec, 4 G, 6A and is even.

Then my third group has Latendresse, 2G, 6A and is +5; Sergei Kostitsyn, 3G, 4A and is +2 and Andrei Kotitsyn, 1G, 3A and +5. I didn;t rate Higgins because of his injury time out.

I think the areas of concern are that Kovalev and Plekanec are +1 and even, which I think is a real concern fro players who were arguably our top line last year. And then the second major area for concern is the goal production for Laatendresse and the two Kostitsyn's. If we are going to match or exceed last year, I think these two areas are the first ones that are going to need to improve. Otherwise I wonder if a call-up from Hamilton may be needed to maybe light some fires.

I'd have to disagree with you about these concerns.

I have no doubt Kovy and Pleks will get between 70-85 points this year, barring injury.

Lats has only 2 goals but 8 points, is a plus player and has laid out many body-checks.

S.Kostits has 3 goals and 7 points. He is more of a playmaker and does other things that does not show up on the scoresheet. What about that great vision to see Higgins on that 2nd goal. He set up Lang like that for an open-netter earlier in the season.

AK has had a slow start production-wise, but no need to panic yet.

Can't see anyone in Hamilton making more of an impact. It's not like any of those guys are pointless thru 13 games. Kind of an overreaction if you ask me.

Kind of an overreaction if you ask me.

Agreed.

REV-G,

you need to learn to be patient young padawan!!

AS far as AK46 is concerned, he's just coming off a concussion. Be patient, he'll get better as time goes on. The Team is 9-2-2 and some people are willing to make some call-ups from Hamilton? I don'T get it!

Edited by Habsfan

The +/- stat on it's own is not enough to condemn two players playing at their usual scoring pace (especially when the players are in the positives!). Latendresse is also exceeding my expectations and looks like he'll set a career high in points - and +5 is a big improvement on his old +/-s. The Kostitsyns are the only legitimate "concern" for me meaning that they've been playing a bit below expectations but that doesn't mean I'm actually concerned about them. When you have 3 scoring lines, the scoring is going to be spread out. We can't possibly hope for all 9 of our offensive forwards to be doing as well as we wanted them to - not unless we're scoring 5-6 goals regularly.

Some players are a concern but the nail is not at the right place.

Bégin : He is not hurt yet he won't play in the upcoming games, even if Kosto is out.

He lost coach confidence and he is a costly replacement player. I would not be surprise

to see him trade for low pick.

Halak : Big fat rebounds and lost his two last games. He has to elevate his play or an experience back

up will be the solution.

Power play is a concern for me. I still don't like Markov on the right point. Concern would be to find a

way to give Kovalev some space. If the two top PP players are on the same side it make it easier to

opponents to pressure right upper side.

Just because Sergei and Lats are billed as having major offensive upside, remember that they are on the 3rd line and don't see the ice time others do. Also, Lats has had a wonderfully productive season so far and I'm not expecting Sergei to hit 70 points or anything this year.

Power play is a concern for me. I still don't like Markov on the right point. Concern would be to find a

way to give Kovalev some space. If the two top PP players are on the same side it make it easier to

opponents to pressure right upper side.

Agreed. Kovalev and Markov need to be on opposite sides of the ice. The real problem is not having a D-man with a bomb on Kovalev's side of the ice...that's the only difference between this year and the past two seasons. The lack of that bomb of a shot is making them resort to trying a down-low play too often, and it very rarely works. Usually results in a bad-angle shot that is an easy save.

Agreed. Kovalev and Markov need to be on opposite sides of the ice. The real problem is not having a D-man with a bomb on Kovalev's side of the ice...that's the only difference between this year and the past two seasons. The lack of that bomb of a shot is making them resort to trying a down-low play too often, and it very rarely works. Usually results in a bad-angle shot that is an easy save.

Did they really have a bomb from the point last year? I know Streit has a good shot, but I don't really remember that being the cause of a lot of the goals. I guess you could argue the threat of it opens up other plays, but Kovalev to Markov sneaking backside off the point resulted in more goals than Streit slapshots.

I don't understand why you would remove Markov's decision making from the process. Him and Kovalev seemed to make some fantastic anticipation plays last year that lead to beautiful cross ice passes, backdoor cuts and one timers. The two of them reminded me of a point guard and point forward running a basketball offense.

Tons of movement and cutting forwards when it worked really well.

So the team finally puts together the best game of the year and you guys start picking at them like vultures? Is there no respect? Let them play they are fine. Loooook out bruins. Mr ryder we come to see you!!!!!!!

Did they really have a bomb from the point last year? I know Streit has a good shot, but I don't really remember that being the cause of a lot of the goals.

The way I see it, is that Streit didn't have a bomb of a shot from the point (like Souray did). Compared to our d-men this year, Streit managed to put most of his shots on NET! His shots would actually make it to the goalie, and allow the forwards to bang in lose rebounds. This year, it seems as though 80% of our shots from the point never even make it close to the net(missed wide, blocked by a forward, or blocked by a d-man). I find it very frustrating to watch. If I were one of the coaches, i'd spend 1 hour every day practicing taking one-timers from the point...and I'd keep at it until all 6 d-men can put 80% of their shots on net!

Did they really have a bomb from the point last year? I know Streit has a good shot, but I don't really remember that being the cause of a lot of the goals. I guess you could argue the threat of it opens up other plays, but Kovalev to Markov sneaking backside off the point resulted in more goals than Streit slapshots.

I don't understand why you would remove Markov's decision making from the process. Him and Kovalev seemed to make some fantastic anticipation plays last year that lead to beautiful cross ice passes, backdoor cuts and one timers. The two of them reminded me of a point guard and point forward running a basketball offense.

Tons of movement and cutting forwards when it worked really well.

Personally I see three out-possible of-the-box solutions for the powerplay that would have been interesting to look into during training camp or during those long stretches without playing a single game:

Solution 1: Using Andrei Kostsitsyn as the shooter playing on the right side of Markov. Markov goes back to doing what he does best while Kostsitsyn gives us many options having not only a powerful shot and a quick release, but great underrated passing skills as well.

Idea 2: Using Mike Komisarek as the set-up man on the left side on Markov. These two have proven chemistry, and Komisarek has much better hockey sense and passing skills than he gets credit for. He also has a booming shot that he keeps very low, the kind that generates many rebounds. By swithching them at the blue line, they would both be in a position to either shot or pass.

Idea 3: Working with Ryan O'Byrne during practices so that he can become the shooter on the right side of Markov. It might be a little soon, but Burner is not unlike Sheldon Souray who was still not that long ago a defensive defenseman with no apparent offensive potential besides his powerful shot. This is a long shot, and has the potential to piss off a few more experienced players on the team... but there's possibly something there... if not today maybe in 2-3 years.

Personally I see three out-possible of-the-box solutions for the powerplay that would have been interesting to look into during training camp or during those long stretches without playing a single game:

Solution 1: Using Andrei Kostsitsyn as the shooter playing on the right side of Markov. Markov goes back to doing what he does best while Kostsitsyn gives us many options having not only a powerful shot and a quick release, but great underrated passing skills as well.

Idea 2: Using Mike Komisarek as the set-up man on the left side on Markov. These two have proven chemistry, and Komisarek has much better hockey sense and passing skills than he gets credit for. He also has a booming shot that he keeps very low, the kind that generates many rebounds. By swithching them at the blue line, they would both be in a position to either shot or pass.

Idea 3: Working with Ryan O'Byrne during practices so that he can become the shooter on the right side of Markov. It might be a little soon, but Burner is not unlike Sheldon Souray who was still not that long ago a defensive defenseman with no apparent offensive potential besides his powerful shot. This is a long shot, and has the potential to piss off a few more experienced players on the team... but there's possibly something there... if not today maybe in 2-3 years.

Solution 1: It is a plausible scenario, and the guy has an explosive release

Solution 2: No chance with Komisarek entering a contract year, I think he could be productive given PP minutes, but there is no way

Gainey allows him to inflate his market value

Solution 3: Not likely

Solution 1: It is a plausible scenario, and the guy has an explosive release

Solution 2: No chance with Komisarek entering a contract year, I think he could be productive given PP minutes, but there is no way

Gainey allows him to inflate his market value

Solution 3: Not likely

S1. Worth a try.

S2. No way BG or GC allow a possibility of an increase in market value to impinge on what could be a year in which the Habs go far in the playoffs.

S3. Why not? It is a smart utilization of resources to help your players reach their max. potential. You never know until you try

:hlogo:

Edited by PMAC

S1 : I'm all for it. I think it should already have been tried.

S2 : Really ? I think Komi has just no offense. sorry. He's probably my favourite Habs, but not when he has the puck.

S3 : Not likely, but winning by 2-3 goals into the 3rd looks like a good moment to try it.

S2 : Really ? I think Komi has just no offense. sorry. He's probably my favourite Habs, but not when he has the puck.

Did anybody believe that Souray had any offensive ability 6 years ago? Souray has zero mobility or puck handling ability,

he cannot make a strong outlet pass, yet there he is with 60 pts two seasons ago.

McCabe, same thing. Markov would be laying out one time opportunities like candy. Komisarek has put up 17 and 19 pts

with ZERO PP time and ZERO effort pinching in the offensive zone. It is not a stretch to believe that with first unit PP time

he could put up 40+ points.

IMO

Did anybody believe that Souray had any offensive ability 6 years ago? Souray has zero mobility or puck handling ability,

he cannot make a strong outlet pass, yet there he is with 60 pts two seasons ago.

McCabe, same thing. Markov would be laying out one time opportunities like candy. Komisarek has put up 17 and 19 pts

with ZERO PP time and ZERO effort pinching in the offensive zone. It is not a stretch to believe that with first unit PP time

he could put up 40+ points.

IMO

I think you're right, but you nailed it on the head with your earlier post: not on a contract year (while we're still winning anyway)

I'd like to see Andrei Kostitsyn get a shot at the point. His PP time seems to be getting reduced, and I feel he could be a force to contend with out there.