Habs vs. Canucks | Game Thread

Fanpuck33

Great game by Halak (obviously), but Pleks and Koivu deserve credit for their faceoffs and PK. Our boys didn't play aggressively enough, but I will attribute some of that to the multiple PKs. Also, the Canucks blocked all the shooting lanes and usually had 4 guys at their blueline, so I'm not surprised that shots were lopsided.

But yeh, we've got to learn how to clear the zone and properly pressure the puck carrier.

Glad for the win, hope we build off of this.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll take Price's technique over Halak's any day of the weak, but that doesn't mean he's perfect or the two can't learn things from each other. So I've compiled...

Things about Halak Price can learn:

1. FIGHT THROUGH TRAFFIC! Try and find out where the puck is actually going and react to it, rather than try and hope it hits you. Halak is generously listed at 5'11" and has always had to deal with bigger forwards. Price didn't have a lot of junior age forwards bigger than him and he's not used to an average height of 6'1" and much larger forwards than him when he gets into his stand up position. Halak has learned this skill, and it'd be very useful for Price to pick up on it.

2. Be aggressive. This corresponds to point 1, and there is a point where your aggression takes you out of position, and Halak will reach that point soon enough. But it's been noted that Price is standing back in his crease recently, and I think he's lost confidence in his instincts. This is all about fighting through your deficancies and re-establishing some confidence. Use a poke check in close. Push some forwards out of your way. Come out six feet from your crease for a slap shot.

3. Get a smaller glove.

Well that was a win alright. I wouldn't say it was a good game by any stretch but a win is a win.

Good:

Halak was the reason they won.

Pleks was good

Faceoffs were good

Pk was excellent

Stewart got in a fight and didn't get squashed

Bad:

17 shots on goal? WTF,this team leads the league in games with less then 20 shots. Pathetic

Stupid penalties

No offense

I counted 6 turnovers when there was absolutley no pressure on anyone in the D zone and they just caughed it up.

I have a few questions for people, GC, etc

You have the toughest guy in the league riding the bench when you have a problem with team toughness and people taking advantage of your good players, Why?

Is that a system getting outshot by 20 every night?

Even though they won the last 2 i wouldn't say they played much differently, just had great goaltending, will that continue?

Why is evryone saying Kovy ios back, i thought he wa really bad last night, 6 minutes in penalties, 7 turnovers and no offense to speak of. yes he had a secondary assist.

Why is GC wasting AK46 on the LW with Kovalev, he immediately became a non-factor, put him on the RW with Koivu and Higgins.

I'll take Price's technique over Halak's any day of the weak, but that doesn't mean he's perfect or the two can't learn things from each other. So I've compiled...

Things about Halak Price can learn:

1. FIGHT THROUGH TRAFFIC! Try and find out where the puck is actually going and react to it, rather than try and hope it hits you. Halak is generously listed at 5'11" and has always had to deal with bigger forwards. Price didn't have a lot of junior age forwards bigger than him and he's not used to an average height of 6'1" and much larger forwards than him when he gets into his stand up position. Halak has learned this skill, and it'd be very useful for Price to pick up on it.

2. Be aggressive. This corresponds to point 1, and there is a point where your aggression takes you out of position, and Halak will reach that point soon enough. But it's been noted that Price is standing back in his crease recently, and I think he's lost confidence in his instincts. This is all about fighting through your deficancies and re-establishing some confidence. Use a poke check in close. Push some forwards out of your way. Come out six feet from your crease for a slap shot.

3. Get a smaller glove.

:clap:

Puck-play is another thing Price could learn from Halak. Jaro seems to be quicker -- on the puck and in decision making -- than Price who sometimes hesitate too much and ends up giving the puck away to the opposition.

I'm so glad that Halak gets some spotlight and that Carbo give him a real chance now. Jaro's always been the underdog everywhere.

- picked in the 9th round, 271th overall from a hockey nation not known to produce top goalies

- came over to the QMJHL, starting as backup to top prospect Jonathan Bernier, but winning over #1 spot.

- beat QMJHL's 1st All-Star Team goalie Julien Ellis in the 1st round of the 04-05 playoffs,

- started his pro career in the ECHL as backup to Olivier Michaud but winning over the #1 spot, leading all ECHL starters with a .932 sv%

- called up to the AHL, starting as backup to Yann Danis but winning over #1 spot with 3 shutouts in 13 games and 927 sv%

- started season in the AHL, still sloted as backup to Danis, but winning over #1 spot again with league-leading 6 shutouts, 2.00 GAA and .932 sv% in 28 games

- called up in panic when the Habs are fighting for a playoff spot and Huet went down with an injury + Aebischer couldnt be trusted anymore. Started 16 of the last 22 games when the Habs are in the playoff hunt. Wins 7 of his last 9 starts, incl. 2 shutouts.

- sent to the WC after the 06-07 season to give Price the AHL playoffs. Plays backup to Petr Budaj, but shutout Norway and nearly upsets Canada & Roloson (5-4 loss)

- started 07-08 season in the AHL, struggled at first, became Yann Danis' backup again because it was Danis' last contract year. Won back #1 spot, called up to NHL when Huet got traded.

As you see, it's a hard-fought road Halak had to follow to get to the NHL. Practically the exact opposite of Price who was a 5th overall pick and handed all the chances. Price has to deal with the pressure of being high thought-of and having to meet high expectations; Halak had to deal with the pressure of being an after-thought and having to prove doubters wrong. Very different mental make-ups.

I wouldnt want to see either one traded. They can learn a ton from each other. Price could certainly learn a few things from a goalie who always had to fight and prove himself over and over again. I understand the philosophy being getting a vet to mentor Price; but I wouldnt put all my chips on Price just yet. Hasek/Belfour, Vokoun/Theodore, Kiprusoff/Nabokov, Bryzgalov/Giguere, Smith/Turco, Luongo/DiPietro, etc. There's more than one case of a team having a couple of good young goalies and chosing too quickly which one they thought was the #1 and which one was expandable.

Yea, just keep both goalies and ride the hot one. They are a steal at the money they are making.

Price will be fine, he just needs to lay off the partying and make the decision tyo become an elite player.

Dunno. I think the best tandem configuration is like Roy-Hayward back in the days. Only 5 years difference, Hayward was good enough to keep Roy from feeling complacent. Brought the team 3 straight Jennings in 4 years Hayward was there.

I can also live with keeping Halak, but he wants his chance to be a number one, and not just when Price is stoned... At some point, Bob will probably need to trade him to a team where he will have a chance.

I like the tandem idea. Price hasn't shown that he's capable of carrying a team playing 65 games in a season yet, so why push the issue when you don't have to? Make him fight for any starts above 41...let him know that he has to earn being a number-one by consistently playing well.

I'm not a member of the Carey Price fanclub like so many on this board...at this point he's all potential...he hasn't accomplished much at the NHL level, so why assume he's going to be 'the man' at such an early point in his career? Personally, I don't give a rat's ass which of Price or Halak ends up being our franchise tender...I just hope and pray that one of them is good enough to be that guy. Which one doesn't really matter to me at all.

I think we all know that jaro is now the #1 goaltender and Price needs to work hard to get it back. this is a good situation for the habs.

That's a little extreme. Carbo is going with the hot hand. That's it. Goalie contraversies aggravate me.

I think that this was the first game of Jaro's NHL career where he's looked like he could be an NHL starter. An awesome job by him - but - this doesn't make him our starting goaltender indefinitely. You've gotta believe Price is going to be our starter by the end of the season and going into the playoffs.

I think that this was the first game of Jaro's NHL career where he's looked like he could be an NHL starter. An awesome job by him - but - this doesn't make him our starting goaltender indefinitely. You've gotta believe Price is going to be our starter by the end of the season and going into the playoffs.

i never said indefinitely I said Now. If carey works hard and gets his head on straight he will be the numero uno but playing the way he has lately will get you a ride on the buses of hamilton.