Carbo fired

alexstream

Carbonneau was an impatient man.

Always in a hurry to change up his lines, always in a hurry to punish a player who doesn't perform over a couple of games, etc.

Don't get me wrong, i like the guy a great deal, he's still a true Canadiens hero in my heart, but i'm happy with this move by Bob. In contrast, Mr. Gainey is extremely patient and intelligent.

I have a feeling Kovalev's going to have a 3-point night on tuesday.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

seriously, what are the options for the next head coach aside from Gainey taking over full time? Are there any really good french speaking assistant coaches in the league right now?

seriously, what are the options for the next head coach aside from Gainey taking over full time? Are there any really good french speaking assistant coaches in the league right now?

Tremblay. :wacko:

Always in a hurry to change up his lines, always in a hurry to punish a player who doesn't perform over a couple of games, etc.

Don't get me wrong, i like the guy a great deal, he's still a true Canadiens hero in my heart, but i'm happy with this move by Bob. In contrast, Mr. Gainey is extremely patient and intelligent.

That was my only problem with Carbo

And a big one

If it wasn't something Gainey wanted out of his coach, then Gainey deserves blame for not recognizing that "fault" when he hired the inexperienced Carbo.

To me, this isn't Gainey's call. This is Boivon/Gillett's move.

Andre Savard :P

Denis Savard!

Wasn't it only a few weeks ago that Gainey stated that the best thing he's done since becoming GM was hiring Carbo when asked by the media??????????????

That was when? around the all star game? or the last time Gainey evaluated the year in a press conference? None the less it was 2009 so no more then 2 months ago.

IMO this has been going on for a while and whoever has suggested this is pressure from the owners is right on the money. When Gainey made those comments I bet it was a last ditch effort to save his friend.

Now I'm worried about one thing, Is Gainey's heart still in it? or is he just going through the motions. I hope this doesn't destroy him too and he walks at the end of the season.

I like the idea of Gainey coaching but we all know that is not what he wants. So just for the record, I don't think this is news we should be celebrating. For those that are anyways.

THIS IS NOT A GOOD SIGN.

Edited by HABBER-oooooKNOWS

better question is, are there any experienced NHL coaches who would be accepted by the francophone community of Quebec. I dont really understand the french pressures this team faces as an Anglo from Toronto, but if someone could clarify this for me I'd really appreciate it.

Well, my first blush response to this (I found out literally seconds ago) is:

About time.

My second blush response is: WHAT? It's NOT Koivu's fault???????

I may come back with a third response later, but I have a bucketload of work due right now.

how about Patrick Roy :P

im going to keep throwing out names until one sticks, then when one of the guys I mentioned gets hired, i'll point back to this thread and say "see, I told you so!"

"especially when you consider it HAS to be a francophone"

Bull____

It will be the best person Gainey feels is available. Period. The only difference between the new coach and any player is that there will be pressure from Gainey on the new coach to learn the language.

And no, Gainey hasn't lost heart at all. He ALWAYS says the politically correct things in the media. He can't get a UFA even though he's worked his ass off: I'm happy with my team going forward. He can't find a trade at the deadline: We have the talent here, it's up to them and the coaching staff to step up. He's praying Carbo will find a way: I think Carbo was the best choice I ever had.

It's called boosting confidence. Something this team desperately needs. Any bets Price's confidence just shot up 20 points?

Okay, third blush response:

Hallelujah. We now have a chance to make this season a success.

It's called boosting confidence. Something this team desperately needs. Any bets Price's confidence just shot up 20 points?

Okay, third blush response:

Hallelujah. We now have a chance to make this season a success.

And imagine how Kovy might play for Gainey - the guy he has that special bond with. We might have the second coming of Mark Messier on our hands (okay... exageration.. but you get the idea. Kovy should technically play better for Bob).

I think we might see the Stanley Cup at the St. Patty's day parade. :D

Don Lever? He coached all the kids to the Calder.

I have to say, I have mixed feelings about this. Carbo coached the best Habs team since 1993 when you consider they came first in the conference. He was talked about a lot for Jack Adams in 07/08 year, and was the second winningest coach in the East up until the All-Star break. Both of these occurred in his first two years of coaching. Some of the things he did were frustrating, but I am a little confused.

Makes you wonder if a few stars didn't approach management and say that they hate his style and won't play for him or something. It probably was a owner driven decision.

Edited by BCHabnut

RS?

I think you and rafikz have your years mixed up, or I do.

Gainey took over the year they didn't make the playoffs, when Montreal lost to Toronto when they played Huet over Halak and lost badly.

I don't think he was there when we played Carolina. Am I remembering incorrectly?

nah

Julien

2002-03 Montreal Canadiens NHL Head‡ 36 12 16 4 4 0.444 Out of Playoffs

2003-04 Montreal Canadiens NHL Head 82 41 30 7 4 0.567 Lost in round 2

2005-06 Montreal Canadiens NHL Head† 41 19 16 6 0 0.537

Gainey:

2005-06 Montreal Canadiens NHL Head‡ 41 23 15 3 0 0.598 Lost in round 1 (aka : HUET MEGA CHOKE, Koivu injury, Higgins and Plek mega choke)

Carbo:

2006-07 Montreal Canadiens NHL Head 82 42 34 0 6 0.549 Out of Playoffs

2007-08 Montreal Canadiens NHL Head 82 47 25 0 10 0.634 Lost in round 2

RS - Regular season

From Habs Inside out:

On the Team 990, Tony Marinaro reports Gainey has spent the last four days in Hamilton and will be joined behind the Canadiens' bench by Bulldogs head coach Don Lever.

Looks like Don Lever will be primped to take over next season, when he'll have many of the players on his team from the Calder Cup win in 2007.

Well, from that win and over the last couple years.

Don Lever? He coached all the kids to the Calder.

I have to say, I have mixed feelings about this. Carbo coached the best Habs team since 1993 when you consider they came first in the conference. He was talked about a lot for Jack Adams in 07/08 year, and was the second winningest coach in the East up until the All-Star break. Both of these occurred in his first two years of coaching. Some of the things he did were frustrating, but I am a little confused.

Makes you wonder if a few stars didn't approach management and say that they hate his style and won't play for him or something. It probably was a owner driven decision.

nah, they totally barred this one for sure.

i think it's gainey for ever now. Yvon Pednault mentionned that Gainey once told him that he was missing Coaching a lot.

unless it's a guy like Patrick Roy or Bob Hartley :mellow:

nah

Julien

2002-03 Montreal Canadiens NHL Head‡ 36 12 16 4 4 0.444 Out of Playoffs

2003-04 Montreal Canadiens NHL Head 82 41 30 7 4 0.567 Lost in round 2

2005-06 Montreal Canadiens NHL Head† 41 19 16 6 0 0.537

Gainey:

2005-06 Montreal Canadiens NHL Head‡ 41 23 15 3 0 0.598 Lost in round 1 (aka : HUET MEGA CHOKE, Koivu injury, Higgins and Plek mega choke)

Carbo:

2006-07 Montreal Canadiens NHL Head 82 42 34 0 6 0.549 Out of Playoffs

2007-08 Montreal Canadiens NHL Head 82 47 25 0 10 0.634 Lost in round 2

RS - Regular season

That doesn't sound right. I think the first half season with Carbo was the on where Huet was played in the last game and lost to Toronto. I stand corrected. You are correct.

Edited by BCHabnut

My question is whether this is a panic move or had Carbo truly lost the room? I hope the latter is true, because there aren't very many potential candidates to replace Carbo next season.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I think Carbo needed more time to develop, and I think that he will be an excellent coach in the years to come. But I hope that this fires up the boys and they successfully pull off the drive for the playoffs... but will it be worth it...? I fear the replacement coaches... *shudders*

In Bob we trust.