Carbo fired

alexstream

This is clearly a short term solution designed at making the playoffs.

Follow this up with dropping Koivu and Kovalev, hiring an experienced NHL coach and starting fresh next year.

I will be pissed if Bob brings back the same basic team next season. Then this move will be as stupid as Kozed and you suggest.

I agree, but I think he is bringing in Lever. If that is the case, then the vets MUST go or they will kill him too. The young half of the team have full respect for Lever.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of how Gainey fares in his second tour of duty behind the Canadiens' bench, he'll gain a better understanding of his players from an ice-level view during the stretch run and playoffs. He'll get to see their true character. With about half his team headed for free agency, what better way to find out who you would want to keep around next season?

Now all of a sudden Bob Gainey's job is on the line in the words of the immortal

Mike Boone. Yawn.

The media in Montreal is so lazy. 12 months removed from a first place Conference

finish and one of the strongest farm systems in the league with a ton of cap room and

Gainey's job is on the line?

Sigh. Is there a minimum IQ to be hired? Anybody over 100 need not apply?

I have heard that from a lot of analyst. I am not sure why you think that is crazy? They point out that this is Gainey's team and he failed for 3 years in a row to get a centre (as one example). He did nothing at the deadline. Now, this is all he has left.

If the team doesn't make the playoffs now, Gainey is in huge trouble. If they do, he is not out of the woods, but what he does in the off season will be key. If he keeps the losers and fails to sign the better UFAs, then his days are coming to a close.

Let me take your points in order..

1. 12 months ago, Carbo was the coach of that team and a Jack Adams finalist.

2. Strong Farm - started before Gainey and some of his assistants and scouts may have more to do with it.

3. We have no cap room right now (perhaps why he could not make a move at the deadline) and while he has a ton of Cap in July, he also only has about 10 players. :) Much will depend on how he spends that CAP. Note that many analysts are asking "why would some of these young guys like Komi sign with Bob now, he wouldn't give them a contract extension.. this is not a good move by Gainey if he wants to keep them.

This is one move that I absolutely hate by Gainey.

Carbs was a good coach and this was not the time to do the switch. Carbs should not of been treated this way. He is one of those Habs that most like and a way to sort of kick are pasttimers in the ass. I thought they were good friends.

Damn I'm pissed.

Also, Gainey has shown an ability to make his teams play past their capabilities and

he also manages to get players to buy into his system. Both things that most people complained

about Carbo.

Could be true if you're talking about his first year as coach of Minnesota (90-91) when the team went to the Finals. In the regular season their record was the same as the previous year under Pierre Pagé, but the difference was in the playoffs. Team was playing a tight defensive game, and the defensemen were the biggest meanest SOB's in their Conference.

But after that year, he was out of the playoffs once, lost in round 1 twice and in round 2 once with virtually the same team. There was just 1 upset and that was a win over the strong Mike Keenan's Blackhawks 94. The rest is nothing to write home about, even if he didnt have a great team (or great mean$) to work with.

Fact is, Bob's just there because he dont want to bring in a new coach midway during the season. He's there mostly for discipline, all the tactical stuff will probably be Lever's responsability (like it worked when he brought Carbo as his assistant).

1. Nobody can look at the team in the second half and say, 'there's a well-coached outfit.' Game after game after game of stupid penalties and horrible in-zone coverage. On any other franchise, carbo would have been canned by now.

2. I don't understand the media. Maguire is enraged, arguing that 'the Habs have underachieved all season long' and seeming to think that is an argument AGAINST the coach being fired. Huh? last I head it was the coach's job to get the most out of a team that on paper was universally considered a contender. So much for analysis.

3. The Habs' future, even now, lies with the young players. Other than lapierre and Latendresse and maybe Gorges (not top-end players), NONE - not one - of our major young players got better this season. Pleks, Higgins, Komisarek, the Kostitsyns, Price - they all got worse. Julien was fired because he had Higgins on the 4th line and Komisarek as a 6th defenceman. You can argue that Carbo was fired for analogous reasons - the young guns were regressing under his tutelage. Frankly, more should have been made of this very disturbing development all season.

4. I'm sure Carbo has it in him to be a very fine coach. My guess is, as he himself admitted, he wasn't a good communicator - and that finally he lost the room. He will resurface and probably be excellent, and we'll have to hear about how we lost another great coach, etc., etc.. - everyone forgetting that this team has been absolutely brutal in a year when it was supposed to contend.

5. Most teams have a revolving door at the coaching position. It only stops when the team wins consistently. Carbo's team didn't. 'Stability' is great and all, but this isn't the Scotty Bowman era any more, and we were consistently excellent through the late 80s and early 90s, winning two Cups and going to the Finals one more time under three different coaches. So I'm not too frantic over the stability factor.

6. Having said all that, it seems very un-Bob to suddenly pull the chute like this. For that reason I'll agree that Bob might have been under pressure from above. I hope not. He might just be more ruthless, preoccupied with player development, and/or more determined to win than we think.

7. It is a shame that it came to this. I feel for Guy, a great canadien who deserved better, but it's a brutal business.

8. Our next coach must speak French. The job is stressful enough without having wave upon wave of media hatred delivered your way, and being used to mobilize the fan base against you. Denis Savard is a very intriguing choice. (As comical as it is, I wouldn't rule out Andre Savard either :lol: ). Can Jarvis speak French - ?

This is not a day to celebrate. But the decision makes sense in pure hockey terms. Guy took a silk purse and made a sow's ear out of it. End of story.

Hmmm

Listening to Gainey's press conference.

Seems like he was having some differences with Carbo concerning the use of certain players over others. Not sure exactly who he's referring too. Ideas?

Hmmm

Listening to Gainey's press conference.

Seems like he was having some differences with Carbo concerning the use of certain players over others. Not sure exactly who he's referring too. Ideas?

Maybe Metropolit on the 5 on 3 PP's?

:P

Ya Baby!!! I called it a brutal move when they hired him. No head coaching experience and Montreal is not the learning grounds. Boy I hate to be right in this case but I said it here that Carbo couldn't hold Julien's clipboard. Now we need Julien to win coach of the year. I told you sooooooo!

I really wonder how Gainey will make this team play full 60 minutes,

be more aggressive in the middle zone, protect the goalie and capitalize on

their scoring opportunities.

This in just 16 games.

Better register team to Pimp my team.

Maybe Metropolit on the 5 on 3 PP's?

:P

I am not sure why you harp on this.. he was the only right hand shot centre. It was not stupid, although I thought the same thing until I heard the reason on sportsnet. Now it makes sense.

Who else do we have now that Lang is gone, who can take the draw if the centre gets dumped, and has the correct shot to setup on the side of the net for the low play?????? One player.. Metro...

A proper assesment requires a little more homework than this.

Lead the way, oh man of high-level thinking.

Why not factor in bonus OT points for losses and shootout points that would have been OT ties

before you judge the records.

That MAY bring him close to .500.

Then look at the strength of rosters and take in playoff results before

you make a real assessment.

Mike Modano, Brian Bellows, Brian Propp, Bobby Smith, Ulf Dalhen (sp), Darien Hatcher, etc. They weren't without a lack of depth on the top-end.

When they made the playoffs, more than 50% of the time they were out in Round 1. We can treat their run to the finals as a one-off -- not quite a re-curring theme in his track record.

Also, Gainey has shown an ability to make his teams play past their capabilities and

he also manages to get players to buy into his system.

Because his winning record proves this? What 'system' has Gainey established in the last 10 years? What systems of our last 3-4 coaches didn't work enough for them to have pretty good careers after coaching the Habs? Vignault, Therrien, Julien? Almost all of them have had Jack Adams seasons after taking off here (albeit with respectable teams).

Once again, the team failed management, and you can't fire a whole team...

I wouldn't trumpet Gainey as being a coaching savior. He's in a position of high power and that'll be what catalyzes the team as they'll always stand up straighter when the Colonel comes out after the drill Sargent has lost his voice.

Gainey has a proven track record as a head coach

He took the North Stars to the Stanley Cup Finals

He almost led Montreal to an upset in 2006, if it wasn't for Saku's injury and Stillman's deflected shot

I think you misunderstood my post. I was saying that I WAS happy that Gainey was coming behind the bench.

BUT

I disagree with firing Carbo especially if it means Lever's going to be our head coach next season. The last thing we need is another rookie head coach, especially an anglophone.

Carbo was having some problems but aside from Gainey's awesomeness, what is any new coach going to bring? Looking simply at this season, I can understand the idea that the slumps were all due to bad coaching. But this is the FOURTH consecutive coach. The players have no part to play in it? They can't be held accountable because they have a boss... ? That sounds to me like arguing that Gainey needs to be fired because he didn't get the most out of his coaching staff!

I really wonder how Gainey will make this team play full 60 minutes,

be more aggressive in the middle zone, protect the goalie and capitalize on

their scoring opportunities.

This in just 16 games.

Better register team to Pimp my team.

Or "So you think you can dance"

The timing couldn't be more perfect, home stretch, easy schedule.

Just enough to make Gainey look like a genius.

when i heard that comment in the press conference I understood it differently than you Koz. I think he was referring to the use of certain players in certain situations. To me he was speaking of the use of non-offensive players continuously in offensive roles.

I'm all for giving Tom K or Stewart a few minutes of PP time here and there. But when you have a 5 on 3, those are the times you play your offensive weapons no matter what.