Scared about next season?

alexstream

What if all rumours are true... And the worst case scenarios happen...

Gainey Walks away. no UFA wants to sign here and no UFA of our own want to re sign...

are we doomed? we're back 5 years ago, if not more... but with a better farm system, way better...

On July 1st :

No Coach

No GM

and the following lineup.

Kost Plek Kost

Higgins Lapierre Latendresse

Max Pax Chipchura D'Agos

Stewart Metro Laraque

Markov Gorgeous

Hamrlik O'Byrn

Weber Carle/Valentenko/Emelin

:mellow:

It's bad... but it's still an excellent basis... and considering that White, Maxwell, Wyamn, Subban, Fischer, McDonagh, etc.. are still to come... it's really not that bad... looks like a rebuilding team, yes... but the pain wouldn't be so long this time around, because of the quality of the basis! :P

That's horrible. Just horrible. I'll concede that in, oh, five years that might be a really strong club (except that Hamrlik will be gone by then). But I'm too old to wait another five years! :angry:

The good news is that I don't think Bob will walk, I don't think we'll lose all our UFAs, we might have the cap room to lure an external UFA, and I cautiously submit that most of your players will be better next year after regressing this season.

What if all rumours are true... And the worst case scenarios happen...

Gainey Walks away. no UFA wants to sign here and no UFA of our own want to re sign...

are we doomed? we're back 5 years ago, if not more... but with a better farm system, way better...

On July 1st :

No Coach

No GM

and the following lineup.

Kost Plek Kost

Higgins Lapierre Latendresse

Max Pax Chipchura D'Agos

Stewart Metro Laraque

Markov Gorgeous

Hamrlik O'Byrn

Weber Carle/Valentenko/Emelin

:mellow:

It's bad... but it's still an excellent basis... and considering that White, Maxwell, Wyamn, Subban, Fischer, McDonagh, etc.. are still to come... it's really not that bad... looks like a rebuilding team, yes... but the pain wouldn't be so long this time around, because of the quality of the basis! :P

You could be the Leafs with a terrible lineup and no minor league system

Boston.. two years ago...

If they hire the right guy and they sign the right players, we might be even better.

claude julien and micheal ryder???

The only essentials are Tanguay, Komisarek and Kostopoulos. Okay, maybe not literally essential, but those guys really should be brought back. After that, we can probably stand to lose Koivu and/or Kovalev (and Bouillon, Brisebois, Dandenault, Schneider) without delving into mediocrity (assuming we aren't already mediocre) but I think these guys do want to come back, it's just a question of which ones we want and how much we can pay them. We have enough young talent, that we won't be doomed even if most of them leave. But we do need to find a first line centre somewhere if we want to recover from losing K & K.

claude julien and micheal ryder???

And a good GM who can get Wheeler, etc..

Point is a couple years ago they were a mess. Lost most big talent, crappy GM, etc. They turned it around in a hurry.

If they hire the right guy and they sign the right players, we might be even better.

Big difference. Players around the league actually want to play for Boston. Hardly anyone wants to deal with the media circus in Montreal - especially many of the idiots in the French media like Rejean Tremblay or the photographer who sneaked in to take photos of Koivu after his eye surgery.

You could be the Leafs with a terrible lineup and no minor league system

Same as Boston. Leafs won't have issue attracting top level free agents. Ontario boys actually do want to go home, whereas most quebec born players don't want anything to do with the Montreal media circus.

Unless Montreal is willing to throw a LOT of cash at UFA like Tangauy, I can't see him coming back to this fish bowl. Others like Briere even walked away from more money and avoided Montreal.

learn the lesson bob: sign our guys before it's too late.

I'm a Gainy supporter but still shake my head on some the basic decsions he has made, that have more to do with overall philosphy.

Not negotiating during the year with your UFA/RFA's is an incredibly STUPID policy that makes absolutely no sense - particularly for a team that has a hard time signing free agents.

I have never been able to understand why he wouldn't have tried to lock up guys to longer term contracts when they were more affordable. Higgens and Komi should have been locked up to long term deals - even if meant over paying them during the earlier years of their contracts. On average, over the later years of the contract , you could have them for less then market. Ditto with Streit who should have bee signed right after his hot start in Nov 07. This is not me just having the benefit of hindsight, this is simply good business sense - buy low & sell high. By offering longer terms and more up front money, key guys could have been locked up to longer term deals so that over the duration of the contract the contracts would have been cheaper. I didn't mention Markov, but he is another guy we would have got cheaper if he was signed earlier.

Even more stupid is not trading guys and losing them for nothing - especially if they are going to ride the bench like Ryder. Ryder should have been traded before Xmas last year becuase it was obvious things weren't working out and benching him or putting him on the 3rd or 4thl line are not places where he can succeed.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

I have never been able to understand why he wouldn't have tried to lock up guys to longer term contracts when they were more affordable. Higgens and Komi should have been locked up to long term deals - even if meant over paying them during their last contract.

I'm with you on this big time. There's doubtlessly a sound theory behind Bob's policy -- but in practice, these days, it simply is not effective. Komi has played what, three full seasons with the Habs? I'd say he's not even in his prime yet (well, not this season). But this policy creates a situation where we could lose him.

There is also the player's mindset to consider, because no contract means more uncertainty. There's a lot of talk about 'lack of heart' on the Habs roster. But how do we expect a player to commit to the team when the team doesn't commit to the player?

Sign our guys before it's too late! Please.

I only read a few posts here but there are some points that need to be clairified if they haven't been already.

Wheeler. He wanted to play in Boston for personal reasons, nothing more, and no other team was considered....that's why he signed for the same money (or was it a bit less?) then Phoenix offered.

As for Gainey not signing players throughout the season, he is taking the right approach with this as he has to "manage" the team. If the cap was to continue to rise like the last 3 years then fine, you would have a point; but take a look around the league and see all the GM's that are in major crap right now because they signed guys like Gomez, Drury, Briere etc to huge long term deals and now can't afford to put them on the payroll (cap wise) because the cap is going down.

At least Gainey will know the numbers he can work with when the time comes to negotiate and it might actually help him negotiate. Another positive to waiting this season is that no one up for a contract is exactly tearing it up. In fact, all the possible UFA's are having sub par seasons.

Signing players long term "when they are affordable" doesn't happen for any team for two major reasons.

1) The player gets more money to commit to a longer term at the current rates to stay and that makes it not such an affordable price. Jeff Carter for example... before he broke out this season, he was way overpaid for his past seasons play.

2) The players agents. Agents are in it for the cash and for the most money a player can get. For an agent long term contracts are the opposite of a good thing and they can keep most players out of them...unless they get offered insane money like the players listed above.

Edited by Habitforming

And a good GM who can get Wheeler, etc..

Point is a couple years ago they were a mess. Lost most big talent, crappy GM, etc. They turned it around in a hurry.

Wheeler chose Boston, not the other way around. Nothing to do with the GM...

well, yes it has to do... haha

The GM had signed Glen Murray who was now totally useless and he had to buy him off.

So he needed a new top player and could actually promise that spot to a guy who was right off ... nowhere and had proven ... nothing! ;)

So that promise paid off. Gainey and the 28 other GMs wanted him too, but surely told him that he'd sign a two way, that he wouldnt be guaranteed a top 6, from the start, etc.

That's horrible. Just horrible. I'll concede that in, oh, five years that might be a really strong club (except that Hamrlik will be gone by then). But I'm too old to wait another five years! :angry:

The good news is that I don't think Bob will walk, I don't think we'll lose all our UFAs, we might have the cap room to lure an external UFA, and I cautiously submit that most of your players will be better next year after regressing this season.

True, I'm confident if Bob stays and all our agents quit.

However, if Bob quits and we keep most of our UFA, I'm not so confident :P

Well, we were the Bruins just last season.

learn the lesson bob: sign our guys before it's too late.

if he had done that, he'd have signed Plekanec, Komi and Higgins to last season standards and with last season economics (so, 4.5M a piece, minimum, seriously, you look around)

Same as Boston. Leafs won't have issue attracting top level free agents. Ontario boys actually do want to go home, whereas most quebec born players don't want anything to do with the Montreal media circus.

Unless Montreal is willing to throw a LOT of cash at UFA like Tangauy, I can't see him coming back to this fish bowl. Others like Briere even walked away from more money and avoided Montreal.

and you two guys will tell me that Toronto media are sweet? and not numerous? that they're not hunting for scoops?

I'm with you on this big time. There's doubtlessly a sound theory behind Bob's policy -- but in practice, these days, it simply is not effective. Komi has played what, three full seasons with the Habs? I'd say he's not even in his prime yet (well, not this season). But this policy creates a situation where we could lose him.

There is also the player's mindset to consider, because no contract means more uncertainty. There's a lot of talk about 'lack of heart' on the Habs roster. But how do we expect a player to commit to the team when the team doesn't commit to the player?

Sign our guys before it's too late! Please.

true, and that's the only reason I'd support breaking that politics... otherwise, that'd turn out in big time overpay.

Well a few points, why is it imperative to resign the garbage on this team? Really, someone tell me why Bouillon, Brisby, Dandy, Koivu, Kovalev, Tanguay, Kosto and Komi have to be signed.

Bouillon Brisby Dandy are worthless.

Koivu and Kovalev have 28 goals at 10 mill. You could sign Camelari 34 goals for 6-7 mill. They have proved nothing.

Kosto: Arguably the only player to earn a contract

Komi: Good last year, pathetic this year. Boumeester for 7 mill or komi for 4-5 mill? I'll take Boumeester.

Tanguay: Possibly the smartest and best player of those listed, younger but needs to stay healthy.

So who is really a must hae player? That's 20 plus mill to spend on UFA's.

As others stated there will be alot of teams cash strapped next year and years to come, especially when the cap goes down.

So there are some good UFA's out there to change the culture of this team.

There is a reason there are so many UFA's, this was BG plan, This was the year before the turnover. Unfortunately for BG, his faith in the players on this current roster has turned out to be a bad mistake, not because of the roster but many players gave up on the coach, many high proced guys haven't come to play.

So i for one am very excited to rid the team of the garbage and start with some solid off season moves to improve the team. It will be younger, bigger, faster and with a couple of top end signings, the team should be better.

Well a few points, why is it imperative to resign the garbage on this team? Really, someone tell me why Bouillon, Brisby, Dandy, Koivu, Kovalev, Tanguay, Kosto and Komi have to be signed.

Koivu and Kovalev have 28 goals at 10 mill. You could sign Camelari 34 goals for 6-7 mill. They have proved nothing.

Komi: Good last year, pathetic this year. Boumeester for 7 mill or komi for 4-5 mill? I'll take Boumeester.

Tanguay: Possibly the smartest and best player of those listed, younger but needs to stay healthy.

As others stated there will be alot of teams cash strapped next year and years to come, especially when the cap goes down.

There is a reason there are so many UFA's, this was BG plan, This was the year before the turnover. Unfortunately for BG, his faith in the players on this current roster has turned out to be a bad mistake, not because of the roster but many players gave up on the coach, many high proced guys haven't come to play.

So i for one am very excited to rid the team of the garbage and start with some solid off season moves to improve the team. It will be younger, bigger, faster and with a couple of top end signings, the team should be better.

That's why I feel more confident with BG, without the agents back... than without Gainey, but with the agents backs (e.g. if someone step in just before july 1st, has no plan, panicks a bit and re-sign everyone!!)

I think Tanguay and Kostopoulos will stay almost for sure.

about the rest, well, a guy like Cube at 1M is good to have (better than dandenault and briser) as an insurance policy.

koivu and kovalev... it will be "fun" to see what Gainey thinks. Was Carbo right? or were those guys right?

Yup! If the cap comes down it's going to be a very slow day July 1st no question about it. I wouldn't get my panties in a knot even if we still have a bunch to sign nearing September. I think the smartest thing to do will be to wait it out and teams start to panic.

Detroit will be in trouble, Philly and Rangers will be in trouble. When guys like Brierre are put on re-entry waivers and Gainey will have mega cap-room to start picking these guys off at half price....???????now that's what I'm talking about. We'll be praising him once again, you'll see.

If I was Bob, I wouldn't be rushing to sign anyone either, especially this year. As far as Komi goes, it was his ruggedness we all loved. The truth is he's just not as tough as we all thought he was. I hope we can find common ground with him but he is not worth 5 mil and I hope there isn't a GM that thinks he is.

That's why I feel more confident with BG, without the agents back... than without Gainey, but with the agents backs (e.g. if someone step in just before july 1st, has no plan, panicks a bit and re-sign everyone!!)

I think Tanguay and Kostopoulos will stay almost for sure.

about the rest, well, a guy like Cube at 1M is good to have (better than dandenault and briser) as an insurance policy.

koivu and kovalev... it will be "fun" to see what Gainey thinks. Was Carbo right? or were those guys right?

I'd resign the Cube regardless what many think. He pounds people. Our back end has been so soft since he went down and I miss those hits he brings.

CLEAN THE HOUSE I SAYS!!!

Whats left ??

for next year if nobody comes back:

Defense

Markov-Hamrlik( at 5+M= :wall: )

O'Byrne-Gorges

add Yanick Weber, hopefullly Emelin and a cheap vet.

Fowards:

Sergei-Plekanec Andrei

Pacioretty-Maxwell- D'Agostini

Higgins-Lapierre-Latendresse

stewart-Chipchura-Laraque( :wall: )

centre line is Weak at best. clearly not big enough, cant win faceoffs. Maxwell may need another 50 games in the AHL before being ready for prime time.

We don't need help in goal, I think we're set for a while. Why not trade Halak and try to get some help up front?!!

Soooo, areas to work on for the new GM:

1-His french :P

2- signing Tanguay, Lang and Komi, kosto and schneider...at the right price .notice on how I didn't talk aboit Koivu and Kovy ??!!

3-Add a vet up front

4-Hamrlik has to go. too expensive, production not good enough

5-Hire the best possible coach and coaching staff...and teach him french :P

6- DRAFT FOWARDS !!! we have none left over 6 feet in hamilton.

7-Get players that really want to play here.

8- My cherry moment: can we get more North American please ??

OH yeah I forgot: LECAVALIER !!!

Edited by marky_and_komi

Probably a good decision.

Now, convince him to come up here. Remember: he's terrible in front of the part-time reporter in Florida. Perhaps you can convince the Montreal media to disguise themselves.

Yup! If the cap comes down it's going to be a very slow day July 1st no question about it. I wouldn't get my panties in a knot even if we still have a bunch to sign nearing September. I think the smartest thing to do will be to wait it out and teams start to panic.

Detroit will be in trouble, Philly and Rangers will be in trouble. When guys like Brierre are put on re-entry waivers and Gainey will have mega cap-room to start picking these guys off at half price....???????now that's what I'm talking about. We'll be praising him once again, you'll see.

If I was Bob, I wouldn't be rushing to sign anyone either, especially this year. As far as Komi goes, it was his ruggedness we all loved. The truth is he's just not as tough as we all thought he was. I hope we can find common ground with him but he is not worth 5 mil and I hope there isn't a GM that thinks he is.

I'm not driven by my feelings and not usually gullible... but I still have the feeling that the habs might be the team in the best situation this summer (maybe only TO is in a better situation : maybe more caproom and maybe a "more attractive city")

but US teams are mostly in deep s#### because of the economic crisis.

The usual big spenders are mostly capped for next season

e.g. it was debated who detroit would choose between Zetterberg, Franzen and Hossa... they still have to choose between Franzen and Hossa IMO.

e.g.2. Philly has 52M locked for next season, no goalie signed, 3-5 guys to sign

e.g.3. Colorado has 10M left with 10-12 players to sign (including sakic!). including goalies... they decided to go the cheap route this season and it didn't work)

e.g.4. Teams which have never had lots of success selling tickets cannot LOSE money anymore cause their rich owners are getting poorer -> Coyotes, Panthers, Lightning, etc.

What does this mean? It means that a guy like Ryan Smyth might be had for cheap because Colorado needs a goalie and sakic as priorities?!

It means that Philly might have a Brière giveaway?

It means that no matter what, FLA owners might decide they don't have the budget to re-sign Bouwmee... or they'll just do a sign and trade à la Thornton (Jacobs didn't want to pay Joe that much, he had his GM sign him and trade him)

It means that TBay might decide to continue their rebuild without Vinny...

It means that Franzen or Hossa might be available as UFA.

With 20M available and with the Habs having WAY LESS competitors than usual on the free market and trade market... this might finally be the year we rack up big time on those markets.

I'd resign the Cube regardless what many think. He pounds people. Our back end has been so soft since he went down and I miss those hits he brings.

yah. I understand Begin had no place and was not happy... but Cube already tried it elsewhere and knows he doesn't like it.

he's the perfect "reserve" dman / #6 dman

Umm, the cube was waived and passed through waivers twice. It didn't matter if he liked it or not. The habs are the ONLY team that thinks he can play.

Makes you wonder why people think he's good here.