Lapierre "We have to leave our heart on the ice"

KoZed

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hockey/20...a-patinoire.php

Lapierre: "We're not in a position to just hope for a victory, we have to get the ice-packs out, it has to hurt, we have to push through.

Pretty or ugly, it doesnt matter. We have to leave our heart on the ice.

It's unacceptable that we face a team like Toronto and come out so flat. It's gonna be a tough one to swallow, this one..."

And Gainey (about Lapierre): "Lapierre is definitely an example for our players. He plays with courage, passion and effort."

See, I've been complaining about the lack of leadership on this team all season long. This is exactly what I would have wanted a vet, a Koivu or a Kovy or a Markov to do. Put his money where his mouth was, talk the talk and walk the walk.

I dont want to elevate Lapierre prematurely, he's definitely surpassing expectations right now. Lot of people didnt even see him as a regular in the NHL at the beginning of the season, saying Chipchura needed a real chance, that Lapierre was only there because he was a local boy, etc. Ironic, Laps is now everything people said Chipchura would become. In that short span Lapierre went from pretender to leader because there was a huge, huge leadership void on that club.

I hope it encourages other serious kids to step in the void too. You know something's not right when it's a 22 yrs old that has to pull the team.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have 4 co-captains: Laps, Komo, Kosto & Plex. Dont put all the pressure on 1 guy, but make the responsibilities spread amongst the only guys that seem to care or stepped up when the team was sucking (exception for Komo, but I think he's injured).

I'd have 4 co-captains: Laps, Komo, Kosto & Plex. Dont put all the pressure on 1 guy, but make the responsibilities spread amongst the only guys that seem to care or stepped up when the team was sucking (exception for Komo, but I think he's injured).

I am interested to know why a guy needs a c on his sweater to be a leader? I am pretty sure that any guy can stand up speak his mind. There is no requirement for him to have a c on his sweater. So rather than embarrass Saku who gave us a lot of good years and bleeds for the team. Why don't we ask why nobody else has stepped up, them being such great leaders and all.

I don't think Laps needs the c to lead he is doing a fine job just the way he is. there is no need to add extra pressure to him.

Ok, let's do this gradually

Let's start with an A

Strip the letters off of Komi, Koivu, and Kovalev. Put an A on Lapierre and two other guys who play hard. Tanguay, Latendresse, Plekanec probably are three to choose from. Don't name a captain until one of those guys shows he can maintain a high level of play with the responsibilities that go with a letter.

Before the game last night, I turned to my gf and said: "I wish the rest of the team played more like Max." Funny he then goes out and is easily our best player.

Then again, it's a little bit easier to try hard when the expectations (especially for goal scoring) are lower.

The other day CBC talked to Jacques Demere's and asked him if there was reason to question Koivus leadership. He said no, not every captain is a ra-ra, take a guy by the throat captain, most of the greatest captains he coached said they show it on the ice. I happen to take Demere's at his word, he'd know more than all of us. The debate is heart, not leadership. We need heart from players, Koivu despite all people's opinion here, shows heart, he's just a broken down player, having to play a role, he was never designed for. If players need a captain to make them play with heart, what does that say about the players themselves? I say give Max a 'A', take it off Komi, he's been terrible this season.

I suspect Koivu on the third line will be a good thing for him, give him some reduced minutes, let him play PP and PK.

A couple games ago Koivu had 2 goals.

If Koivu was the captain and was making 2.5-3million would people be calling for his head?

If Koivu was the captain and was making 2.5-3million would people be calling for his head?

Yes, I'd still be calling for his head...because the captain of the team can't take as many nights off as Koivu has lately.

it would cause too much trouble to take the c away from Saku

Like heck it would. What's the worst that could happen....Saku pouts and doesn't play hard and doesn't produce as a result? He did that last night anyways...and on many other nights in the second half of the season. The hell with worrying about 'rocking the boat'....the boat is SINKING anyways....can't hurt to try something new.