Habs Officially For Sale - Sold!

KoZed

"Apparently, Serge Savard is back in the picture, although not as an investor."

could it be Serge as president and bob as gm vp?

If I were a betting man, I'd surmise you're probably on to something there. Non-investor but important role screams advisor to me, and being club President seems to fit that well. Savard as President while Gainey stays as GM and VP (he holds that title already) would be alright I think.

(The Habs wait all week to do something, and just when I start writing the HW Mock Draft, this pops up, what wonderful timing...) :)

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes...that's one potential fly in the ointment. Serge Savard was a fine (and much under-appreciated) general manager, but I don't want him horning in on Gainey's role. I could see him doing Pierre Boivins' job, though; he might even be an upgrade, given that Boivin apparently does have some input into hockey decisions and is not a hockey guy. (At least Savard would have some potentially useful insights). But too many cooks and all of that.

From HIO:

La Presse is reporting on its website that George N. Gillett Jr. has an agreement in principle to sell the Canadiens and the Bell Centre to the Molson family.

Confirmation of the deal is expected to come later today, the report says. The sale, RDS reports, will be in the neighbourhood of $500-plus million, which also includes the lucrative Gillett Entertainment Group.

Brothers Geoff, Andrew and Justin Molson announced earlier this month that they had placed an offer for the club, which for decades was owned the family-owned brewery. Gillett bought an 80.1-per-cent stake in the team on Jan. 31, 2001, the brewery keeping 19.9 per cent.

Molson bought the club from the Bronfman family for $20 million in 1978. Here's a video of that from the CBC archives (thanks to Robert Lefebvre for the link).

I posted that because I am amazed that the Molsons bought the Habs in 1978 for 20 million and here in 2009, the price is 500 million plus!

WOW

Yes...that's one potential fly in the ointment. Serge Savard was a fine (and much under-appreciated) general manager, but I don't want him horning in on Gainey's role. I could see him doing Pierre Boivins' job, though; he might even be an upgrade, given that Boivin apparently does have some input into hockey decisions and is not a hockey guy. (At least Savard would have some potentially useful insights). But too many cooks and all of that.

I think Serge would be a good president and would have the brains to let Bob do his job. I really would like to see Boivin turfed out on his ass, cause he does interfere and has no hockey knowledge. :hlogo:

Good stuff. Maybe Bob can get down to business now.

I dont know just how much margin of manoeuvre Gainey will be given now. Serge Savard is the Molson's man, he's practically part of their family. And Savard has been critical of the way Gainey had built the team last year.

So is it back to Molson centre ?

I remember hearing that Bell had paid for x amount of years, so I think the Molsons are obligated to honour that contract. I just can't remember what year they paid up to.

I posted that because I am amazed that the Molsons bought the Habs in 1978 for 20 million and here in 2009, the price is 500 million plus!

Well, $20MIL back in 1978 equals roughly $60MIL today adjusted for inflation. And hockey as a sport was still very small.

Don't forget that the Molsons also bought Gillett Entertainment Group, which runs any event at the Bell Centre. That is a cash cow. Just that business alone is worth maybe $100MIL. Either way, I'm glad Gillett didn't sell it to Bell or Quebecor.

Edited by fromage

I remember hearing that Bell had paid for x amount of years, so I think the Molsons are obligated to honour that contract. I just can't remember what year they paid up to.

Ah, ok

550 Mil? would love to find out the true sale amount. Either way I hope this also means we will spend to the cap and be open to make a big move for that missing #1 centre, time to pull the trigger on that big trade Bob!

Well, $20MIL back in 1978 equals roughly $60MIL today adjusted for inflation. And hockey as a sport was still very small.

Don't forget that the Molsons also bought Gillett Entertainment Group, which runs any event at the Bell Centre. That is a cash cow. Just that business alone is worth maybe $100MIL. Either way, I'm glad Gillett didn't sell it to Bell or Quebecor.

Not to mention the sale includes the arena, which is another large chunk of money.

Just heard Michel Bergeron's reaction on RIS: " Yay, that means we'll have more Quebecois in the team "

Some people never change :rolleyes:

Well, if Savard indeed gets a say in the hockey-aspect of the team, Bergeron might end up right. It's no secret to anyone that Savard favors local players. Savard was also vocal about the team lacking grit, so it'll be interesting to see if he tries to pressure Gainey in that direction.

Not to mention the sale includes the arena, which is another large chunk of money.

The arena also has a 200M$ mortgage on it.

Couple of notes I haven't seen mentioned yet.

- Deal still has to be confirmed by NHL, mid summer at the earliest for that to happen. In the link below, Bettman appears happy by the purchase, so I'd guess a rubber stamp is coming there in due time.

- Purchase price rumoured to be "in excess of $550 million."

Link also has quotes from Gillett and Molson, it's now safe to say it is official.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4274642

The news release has been made. IT IS OFFICIAL E5 by pecker head (ek). We as habs fans all owe Mr. Gillette a resounding thanks for picking up the team when it was at it's lowest and building it into what we have. Thank the forum ghosts that he chose to sell it to the Molson's who understand and appreciate what the team means to the world not just Quebec because we habs fans are from every walk of life and many countries. I am a Canadian of french descent and while I may not reside in Quebec I have given my heart and soul to this team for 45 years. This is a great day for hockey! :ghg: :ghg: :hlogo:

Good news, I'm pumped. Fire Gainey and let's build a team.

Gainey may be fired but it will not be because of posts like yours!!!!! Team is in much better shape now at this moment then at the time Gainey took over as GM, no question he has improved the team.

Just heard Michel Bergeron's reaction on RIS: " Yay, that means we'll have more Quebecois in the team "

Some people never change :rolleyes:

Y m'énarve lui !! Bergeron is has dumb as cherry can be. and sometimes as Racist.

Good news, I'm pumped. Fire Gainey and let's build a team.

Watch out for habs rules. he kills everybody who doesnt share his Passion for BOB :lol:

IM curious to see howday to day opreations will be under the Molsons. it still can take a little while before BOG approve the sale.

I really hope Mr Gillett is given the greatest Ovation on Friday. I really respect what he did for this team and this community !!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Everyone in place (Gainey, Martin, Boivin) will probably get a grace period. Boivin probably has the best odds to stay in place. He did tremendous work in the shadows, and just made Gillette gain 300M$ return on his investment.

Gainey is part of the Habs family, so he shouldnt have to worry too much at first. But he'll have to produce some playoffs success next season more than ever before. An early exist and he's most likely gone.

Everyone in place (Gainey, Martin, Boivin) will probably get a grace period. Boivin probably has the best odds to stay in place. He did tremendous work in the shadows, and just made Gillette gain 300M$ return on his investment.

Gainey is part of the Habs family, so he shouldnt have to worry too much at first. But he'll have to produce some playoffs success next season more than ever before. An early exist and he's most likely gone.

Well, I hope that's not the case. This team was built to make a major run last season. It didn't work out, obviously, and for various reasons; but the way forward now is NOT to make moves for the short-term (we did enough of that last year, compromising draft position, trading Grabovski, etc.) in the misplaced notion that we must win NOW. There is simply no way this team can win now, and if that is your goal you may as well fire Bob right off the bat.

Better to think of this as the 'second phase' of the rebuild. Phase One involved starting from scratch and assembling a strong organization with a good pool of young players. Phase Two will involve:

1. Allowing a professional coach to instil a rigorous system and identity. This may involve weeding out players who refuse to buy in.

2. Crossing your fingers for the continued progression of those young players you decide to keep.

3. Seeking a major talent upgrades in 1-2 key areas (C and D leap to mind), either through dealing selected young players or signing UFAs or both.

The sad thing about Phase One is that it *should* have included (1) above. But Gainey rolled the dice on Carbo and came up snake eyes. But "it is what it is," as a not-so-wise man once said. This error perhaps set back the rebuild by a year or two. Nonetheless, Gainey has built a team that is basically a lock to make the playoffs every year - in other words, a team at its worst is still in the upper-half of the NHL - and I would think that major contention in 2-3 years should be a reasonable expectation.

I'd only make a short-term assessment of Gainey if I thought he totally bungled his opportunities this coming season. If, for instance, we lose Komi, Koivu, Tanguay and Kovalev and are totally unable to replace their talent; or if he makes an idiotic signing (e.g., Koivu at $5 mil for 5 years, that sort of thing) or trades for Briere, etc., THEN I'd show him the door.

But only then. Otherwise I wait 2-3 years, as I said, and make another assessment.

A lot will depend on what happens this summer, we could see this change dramatically for the better. We have the opportunity to change the complete outlook of this team. You don't get that happening much any more in the new cap era.

Bob is the one who angled us into this position and we now get to see what he can do. Those of you who want to fire him are being very short sighted, I would wait to see what we have in September before I would throw him under the bus. I hope the new owners, and I am sure they will, allow him complete freedom as he always has had.

A lot will depend on what happens this summer, we could see this change dramatically for the better. We have the opportunity to change the complete outlook of this team. You don't get that happening much any more in the new cap era.

Bob is the one who angled us into this position and we now get to see what he can do. Those of you who want to fire him are being very short sighted, I would wait to see what we have in September before I would throw him under the bus. I hope the new owners, and I am sure they will, allow him complete freedom as he always has had.

so analysing 6 years of him being gm is shortsighted ?? My guess is is if he's there in 5 years from now and he still hasn't anything you'll call us shortsighted !!

Getting rid of André Savard after only 2 full years as Gm is more shortsighted than criticizing one Bob Gainey after 5-6 years.

I don't know how safe his job is but I think it's a bit late for news owners to change the whole thing.

to be honest I'm curious to see How Gainey will manage draft day and free agency... has long as he doesn't pull another Samsonov out of his hat just to for the sake of signing a UFA !!

But habsrule, what would be your criteria of assessment? Would you demand that Bob use his cap space to assemble a contender for 2009-10? What if Bob decides to go with youth, rigorous coaching, and maybe plug some holes with second-tier trades/signings while patiently waiting for truly elite UFAs to drop from the trees (as Wamsley has long argued)? Would you fire him then? Or would you take my 'Rebuild Phase Two' argument into account and hold off for a while?