NHL season thread

JoeLassister

Whats with your obsession of the Flames, OOC? I only ask since I'm Calgarian.
I was actually at the Calgary airport to Halifax when the Phaneuf multi-player trade broke. I'm simply relaying what the general consensus was from the fans I encountered. I have a hard time justifying "season saving" trades (call it what you want - that's what it was) that look like (at the time) they will fail. Well, it's starting to look that way. I don't hate the Flames but I am totally confused with that trade.

Fine, trade Phaneuf. That makes sense. His rockstar status is obviously the cause of a disrupted team. But now that he's gone the same problem remains. :blink: Keenan was brought in to fix the crybabies and failed. Brent was brought in to be tough too....looks like a fail Part II.

If the 2009 rumour of Phaneuf for Eric Staal has any truth to it I have to ask why they decided to do this instead. In the long run, Calgary (IMO) could've done better. But instead they made the trade, for what? For this?:

Detroit 74 GP - 89 PTS

Calgary 74 GP - 83 PTS

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and it gets better for Calgary. Boston leads 1-0 after the 1st. Calgary CAN'T afford to drop this game. They'd better get going. It's bad enough that the loss to the Isles might be the moment they blew it. But losing to Boston today would be devastating!!!

I love stating the obvious :P

(make that 3-0)

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

...and it gets better for Calgary. Boston leads 1-0 after the 1st. Calgary CAN'T afford to drop this game. They'd better get going. It's bad enough that the loss to the Isles might be the moment they blew it. But losing to Boston today would be devastating!!!

I love stating the obvious :P

(make that 3-0)

You may not be a big Calgary fan, but we've gotta cheer for them in this one, the Habs need Boston to lose. At least Philly's down in the 2nd.

I hear ya. This sucks

5-0 now - sigh (4:00 left - I doubt Calgary can pot 5 goals in 4 mins)

At least the Pens are being kind to us today...so far

If the loss to the Isles didn't do it, this loss certainly will. Can't say that the Flames will make it now.

Bruins win, Flyers lose, both in regulation. Could be worse I suppose.

Nothing wrong with that. All that matters is Atl and NYR and TB and Fla losing.

Atl
I wish they'd just die already. :angry: It's mostly because of them that I can't call it. Barring us losing all points, FLA and TB are logistically speaking; toast. Rangers can breath OK as long as nobody unplugs them :D

Good news is Atlanta closes with WSH, PIT, NJD, WSH and PIT. If Montreal can win tonight we'll be in cruise control.

Lose Atlanta LOSE! :angry: Especially to the Canes! Carolina's good enough to split these 2 versus Atlanta :)

The west is sadly (Flames) looking set except for position.

I was actually at the Calgary airport to Halifax when the Phaneuf multi-player trade broke. I'm simply relaying what the general consensus was from the fans I encountered. I have a hard time justifying "season saving" trades (call it what you want - that's what it was) that look like (at the time) they will fail. Well, it's starting to look that way. I don't hate the Flames but I am totally confused with that trade.

Fine, trade Phaneuf. That makes sense. His rockstar status is obviously the cause of a disrupted team. But now that he's gone the same problem remains. :blink: Keenan was brought in to fix the crybabies and failed. Brent was brought in to be tough too....looks like a fail Part II.

If the 2009 rumour of Phaneuf for Eric Staal has any truth to it I have to ask why they decided to do this instead. In the long run, Calgary (IMO) could've done better. But instead they made the trade, for what? For this?:

Detroit 74 GP - 89 PTS

Calgary 74 GP - 83 PTS

Trades were smart, returns weren't. Phanuef and Jokinen going out without that big #1 centreman or a 1st coming back was really stupid. Sutter had really poor asset management. The Flames are a team in need of a rebuild because it's just a mess right now. But in a deep draft this year, the Flames don't have their 1st, 2nd OR 3rd round pick. Theres a few stars they could've had for Phanuef, Spezza and Kovalchuk are a couple other names. Sutter preferred to go the way of quantity over quality.

I don't care if you hate the Flames or not because I'm back and forth with them too. Just wondering why the continuous monitoring of the team. I'd figure no one here would care about the Flames.

Detroit - 6 game cushion with a game in hand. Sad Flames, just sad. Will Sutter getting the boot be singular or plural or at all?

I really hope it's just Darryl. Brent is still a top coach in this league and needs to be given more then a year with the garbage his brother put together, Playfair and Keenan got the same results as well so this is definitely not coaching anymore. I'm tired of the carousel they've had in the last few years. They've got a good one in Brent Sutter, stick with him for a while.

Theres also Duane as the director of player personnel and Ron as a scout. And Darryl's son Brett plays for the Heat. So theres a lot of them here.

Jets, the big thing that bothers me is Phaneuf. If you're going to move a player like that (and Sjorstrom) and get Mayers, White, Stajan and Hagman then it'd better make sense. The Kotalik deal was separate. They had to dump Jokinen (but isn't that solving another "mistake" in Jokinen?). The results should have led to more scoring. White is the best player they got back (IMO) and Stajan has been signed. But, where do Hagman and Mayers fit into the long term success of making the playoffs and beyond through to next year? It bothers me that the Phaneuf situation has been a problem for a while and the org was well aware. Rumours or not it's no secret there were problems. Was Sutter so high on Stajan and White that this was his prized move? Did they covet these players? If not, it just makes much more sense to go with what you have and make a later deal for Phaneuf.

It doesn't irritate me that Phaneuf went to the Leafs. Congrats to Burke for getting him and Sjorstrom. At the end of the day the attempted Calgary boost in scoring has not been enough. The Toskala acquisition was suppose to and has given Kipper relief from playing too many games. And, that's good. Now Kiprusoff can be a little more relaxed tanning on April the 13th.

I'm not down or against the Flames. I'm angry at them because I want better. And, once again Jaybo GOLFS!

Jets, the big thing that bothers me is Phaneuf. If you're going to move a player like that (and Sjorstrom) and get Mayers, White, Stajan and Hagman then it'd better make sense. The Kotalik deal was separate. They had to dump Jokinen (but isn't that solving another "mistake" in Jokinen?). The results should have led to more scoring. White is the best player they got back (IMO) and Stajan has been signed. But, where do Hagman and Mayers fit into the long term success of making the playoffs and beyond through to next year? It bothers me that the Phaneuf situation has been a problem for a while and the org was well aware. Rumours or not it's no secret there were problems. Was Sutter so high on Stajan and White that this was his prized move? Did they covet these players? If not, it just makes much more sense to go with what you have and make a later deal for Phaneuf.

I know the Jokinen deal had nothing to do with the Phanuef deal but they happened at the same time so I just lump them together. But at that point in the season Jokinen and Phanuef were pointed at as the problems. With Phanuef, Sutter had some BS reason that he didn't think it was a good idea to spend a ton of money on a few players and he wanted to spread the cap out more evenly. So I think Toronto just happened to offer the best set of retreads. Mayers is completely useless but he's a mucker and the kind of guy Sutter likes. I actually really like Ian White and think he'll fit in well here so I agree with you there. The cap reason stopped making sense to me after the contracts he gave to Bourque and Stajan. Frankly, I think he heavily overpaid for both although I know a lot of people will disagree with me on Bourque. But for someone as injury prone as he is, thats too long and too much money.

With Jokinen, this is a guy the Flames traded away Lombardi and their 1st round pick for. Lombardi has thrived in Phoenix and that 1st is going to be in the top half of the draft. For that, they get back Kotalik and Higgins? Granted, Higgins has fit in really well with Calgary but Kotalik is completely useless. Thats a horrible contract to tie yourself down to and on top of that you're not getting anywhere close to your money's worth. It's just bad asset management.

I could get into how bad the scouting department is as well but I won't. You look at the guys Sutter has taken in the first 2 rounds since he came here though and most of them have just been terrible picks. The only time Sutter decided to go with a flashy guy is Backlund and that seems to be the only guy paying dividends right now. Chucko, Pelech, Irving. Those guys are busy playing crappy hockey in Abbotsford.

It doesn't irritate me that Phaneuf went to the Leafs. Congrats to Burke for getting him and Sjorstrom. At the end of the day the attempted Calgary boost in scoring has not been enough. The Toskala acquisition was suppose to and has given Kipper relief from playing too many games. And, that's good. Now Kiprusoff can be a little more relaxed tanning on April the 13th.

I'm not down or against the Flames. I'm angry at them because I want better. And, once again Jaybo GOLFS!

Toskala comment made me laugh. I said it was a good trade in the deadline thread (and still think it was) but in the back of my head was wondering why he waited until the deadline to address the back-up situation. It was something that should've been addressed in the off-season, people knew then that McElhinney was going to cut it.

And poor J-Bo. I don't even think a lot of the criticism this year has been warranted. His offensive game has struggled obviously but part of the blame lies with the half-ass group of forwards Sutter has assembled. Defensively, I think he's still been a rock. There was that way some reporter decided to judge defensive d-men statsically and J-Bo was second in the whole league.

And thanks for this discussion AC. I have friends who are Flames fans but don't know a lick about hockey. It's nice to talk to someone about the Flames who actually knows hockey.

I thought when he traded Phaneuf that sutter was taking a run at Kovalchuk. I don't know if I'm as bitter about losing Phaneuf. Regher is an awesome stay at home D and Jbo is great too. Dealing Phaneuf's contract means the Flames will have freedom to pick up a #1 Centre from free agency. I do think he paniced a little and should have demanded a 1st and 2nd from whoever traded for him. Hahaha, i read your post about contacts to Bourque and Stajan after I posted. LOL. Ya fire the idiot!

Edited by BCHabnut

I thought when he traded Phaneuf that sutter was taking a run at Kovalchuk. I don't know if I'm as bitter about losing Phaneuf. Regher is an awesome stay at home D and Jbo is great too. Dealing Phaneuf's contract means the Flames will have freedom to pick up a #1 Centre from free agency. I do think he paniced a little and should have demanded a 1st and 2nd from whoever traded for him. Hahaha, i read your post about contacts to Bourque and Stajan after I posted. LOL. Ya fire the idiot!

No, losing Phanuef really isn't a big deal. The guy is a complete asshole in person (I have a lot of stories from my cousin who worked at the Talisman Centre before they started the renovations. Lots of Flames did their workouts there) and his play is miles behind what it was before he signed his contract. Regehr has looked a little lost all season but I'm just pegging that up to an off year. Giordano has been the Flames most consistent d-man all season and is probably pretty underrated by the league at this point. TSN has him going to play for Canada at the World's. And then theres White too.

The defence is fine without Phanuef. These forwards though are a mess, Darryl Sutter has to be the only person in the world that thinks Matt Stajan is a legit #1 C. He's a decent #2 but more of a #3.

No, losing Phanuef really isn't a big deal. The guy is a complete asshole in person (I have a lot of stories from my cousin who worked at the Talisman Centre before they started the renovations. Lots of Flames did their workouts there) and his play is miles behind what it was before he signed his contract. Regehr has looked a little lost all season but I'm just pegging that up to an off year. Giordano has been the Flames most consistent d-man all season and is probably pretty underrated by the league at this point. TSN has him going to play for Canada at the World's. And then theres White too.

The defence is fine without Phanuef. These forwards though are a mess, Darryl Sutter has to be the only person in the world that thinks Matt Stajan is a legit #1 C. He's a decent #2 but more of a #3.

Ya, Giordano made trading Phaneuf possible. He has been unbelievable this year. Whether it was smart to trade Phaneuf or not is another story, but tying up massive money on the back end has to have an affect on your forwards eventually. I'm really disapointed that the Flames may not make it this year. Iggy is my favourite hockey player. I liked White in Toronto and I like him in Calgary.

I believe that Sutter was after Kovalchuk. It certainly hit the rumour mill. I remember thinking at the time that if they did acquire Kovalchuk, I would have an opinionated change of heart.

Maybe they'll sign him July 1st. I'm not still 100% sure how Kovalchuk helps the Devil's. Ever since they got him his linemates PPG has gone down. Maybe his playoff performance will change things.

The game in hand for Atlanta is no more an issue.

And they will play the Leafs tonight and no joke they played good hockey lately.

Bad news around the corner is that Cam Ward is back in net for Carolina. It will not be a gimme

tomorrow.

Leafs couldn't beat Atlanta. :angry: Thanks for nothing Leaf losers. And with that the Leafers are official eliminated. I find it bizarre that espn standings haven't assigned an "e" to the Leafs. They have 77 games played with 69 points. Toronto's best possible production is 79 points possible. Yet, Boston is in 8th with 82.

Funny that they got the official boot and no media noticed :lol:

Flyers try to solve goal-tending woes with Sebastian Caron

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=316390

Seeing as he hasnt played in the NHL in so long it came as a surprise. Also he will only be available to them for the remaining games in the regular season. Since he was signed after the Trade deadline he is not allowed to play in the playoffs (thats of course if they make it). He could start tonight vs. the Habs.

Edited by Habsfan84