[Game Thread] New York Rangers @ MONTREAL CANADIENS

KoZed

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the first line and 3C/4th line were great. Chips is making a case for himself. They were a very affective 4th line. Lats sure is clutching his stick hard right now. He is playing well, but not executing at all.

It's too bad the new line combos consist of a first line and 3 third lines.

The way our D gets hemmed in reason for concern. They look so freakin slow.

Will the Spacek from Edmonton and Buffalo please stand up? In my opinion, this guy is like 3 or 4 on the D depth chart. I thought he was Buffalo's #1!!!

Gorges played horribly tonight. I was also discouraged by our fast guys not supporting the D.

Don't be concerned about the defense. They averaged 23 shots per game since the Vancouver game, that's not much. The Rangers play an open game and they still did not get 30 shots, if I am not mistaken. All in all, they had 10 scoring chances; six in the first period. Most of their chances came because of a lack of communication between the players. Quite understandable with so many new players, particularly on defense. Take Bergeron, for example, obviously he did not know where to pass the puck on made a turn-over. Same thing when Georges could not find somebody to pass the puck too and finally Plekanec made a mistake.

The defense will only get better. And when Markov and O'Byrne will be back, it will be one of the best in the league. Way better than the Rangers' IMO.

BTW, Higgins did not play the last period. According to RDS, the Rangers' coach was out of his mind about his play and gave him a real bad time between the 2nd and 3rd. I alway thought that Tortorella was an idiot anyway. He looks like the Fonz, but he's certainly not cool as him. LOL

Very exciting game.

Cammalleri and Gionta are going to be fan favourites here for a long time.

Price plays next game.

I just hope the offense sticks around for Pricey like it's been there for the most part for Halak, they've scored 14 goals in the 4 games that Halak has started. And only 12 in the 6 games that Price has been in.

This is the 1st game where Halak actually *needed* the offense. Price needs to keep them in the game the way Halak was doing before tonight. If he does, he'll get the wins also.

What a game by Chipchura's line. The three guys worked hard. Martin was very glad of the way they got out of the gate. Excellent!

BTW, no matter what the others can think or say, Hill had a good game.

1. We have a coach.
  2. Who is this Chipchura guy people bitch about? I saw a bonafied NHLer who played an excellent game. I guess see point one.
  3. We have a real coach.
  4. Anyone catch Gionta giving Cammalleri a push with his stick back into the defensive zone to help him gain speed?
  5. Suddenly our kids look like they can play. Anyone else have a brief moment of silence for the Komi's, Higgins's, etc who would probably have excelled under....
  6. A REAL coach.
Edited by Colin

Oh, and while Bergy is great on the PP, he's harrowing any other time. Yeesh. He needs far more of Martin to get that abominable game under control. Shades of Breezer in the early years.

1. We have a coach.
  2. Who is this Chipchura guy people bitch about? I saw a bonafied NHLer who played an excellent game. I guess see point one.
  3. We have a real coach.
  4. Anyone catch Gionta giving Cammalleri a push with his stick back into the defensive zone to help him gain speed?
  5. Suddenly our kids look like they can play. Anyone else have a brief moment of silence for the Komi's, Higgins's, etc who would probably have excelled under....
  6. A REAL coach.

In total agreement here: we have a coach for the fist time in... many seasons. That's a big difference. The man knows how to manage the situation. And whatever you say, it helps Gainey quite a bit. If Martin tells him later in the season that we need another winger, he will know that it's true and will have a pretty good idea of who he should trade for and which players should be moved. Great!

Oh, and while Bergy is great on the PP, he's harrowing any other time. Yeesh. He needs far more of Martin to get that abominable game under control. Shades of Breezer in the early years.

Can we at least give him a few games to adjust?

Besides, his point shot has been key to this modest win streak. Take the bad with the good. ^_^

What a game by Chipchura's line. The three guys worked hard. Martin was very glad of the way they got out of the gate. Excellent!

BTW, no matter what the others can think or say, Hill had a good game.

1. We have a coach.
  3. We have a real coach.
  6. A REAL coach.

See my posts before the game vs NYI:

I actually like that line. Put all the kids together. Sometimes kids feel more comfortable with guys their age than with vets because they dont rely on them. Hopefully it works. I'm just worried about the way they'll play defensively.

The line worked because the three kids are about on the same level of confidence (very low) and couldnt "lean" on any of their linemates as they were when on different lines. All three hold on the puck more then before the line was made. What's more, my worries about their defensive play was all for nil, tonight they got bogged down in their zone maybe 3 or 4 times. They're still working a lot for little results at the net, but if they keep it up goals will eventually come.

Now let's see:

1. We have a NEW coach

2. Chipchura is the guy who looked like an AHLer for 2, 3 seasons before tonight.

3. We have a real NEW coach

4. Nope. Was too busy bitting my nails hoping Gill wouldnt be turned inside out

5. The kids all looked like they could play at some point before. So did Komisarek and Higgins at some point as well. But all players want to impress...

6. A NEW COACH

Wait until Martin had coached us 2¾ seasons and brought us a Conference championship before you want to draw that kind of comparisons.

Wow. What a game tonite. Sloppy at times, but a W for the Habs.

Got home and it was 3-1 Ranger, i thought oh crap, but the Habs kept fighting.

Cammy, Gionta and Gomez just dont stop working and i love their speed.

The Chips, Lats, Diago line also looked very good. Props to Diago.

Just wish the Habs could wake up AKosty.

5 and 5 now, ya baby!!

2 PP goals in 2 games >>>>>>>>>>> a couple of bad passes.

See my posts before the game vs NYI:

The line worked because the three kids are about on the same level of confidence (very low) and couldnt "lean" on any of their linemates as they were when on different lines. All three hold on the puck more then before the line was made. What's more, my worries about their defensive play was all for nil, tonight they got bogged down in their zone maybe 3 or 4 times. They're still working a lot for little results at the net, but if they keep it up goals will eventually come.

Now let's see:

1. We have a NEW coach

2. Chipchura is the guy who looked like an AHLer for 2, 3 seasons before tonight.

3. We have a real NEW coach

4. Nope. Was too busy bitting my nails hoping Gill wouldnt be turned inside out

5. The kids all looked like they could play at some point before. So did Komisarek and Higgins at some point as well. But all players want to impress...

6. A NEW COACH

Wait until Martin had coached us 2¾ seasons and brought us a Conference championship before you want to draw that kind of comparisons.

Nah, I don't feel like waiting. We have a better coach. I have complete faith in Jacques Martin. Our first proper coach, with experience, since Jacques Demers.

Nah, I don't feel like waiting. We have a better coach. I have complete faith in Jacques Martin. Our first proper coach, with experience, since Jacques Demers.

Well there's anothing Martin also has that no coach since Demers had: a real 1st line!

bang on!!!

Reminds me a little of 92, when Serge Savard had got together Damphousse-Muller-Bellows in a short amount of time. Going from Higgins/Tanguay-Koivu-Ryder/Kovalev to Cammalleri-Gomez-Gionta feels a lot like when we went from Corson-Lebeau-Richer to Damphousse-Muller-Bellows. Just a total other level of reliability, will to win and leadership.

I sure liked what I saw tonight. I am SOOOO happy with this game, and those bolts of blinding lightning that are electrifying our team. I too think we have a good defensive corps that will just get better. It sure looks like Martin got eveyone flying tonight , so God bless the new coach and here's hoping this gang has a lot of fun this year!

At 1-3 , I wasn't this cheerful!

Eeeeshh. He played for Lemaire. I don't know if Martin can fix his blunders.

I'm starting to really feel attachement for this new squad of Habs players. It took some time, but the new team is growing on me. I feel like they're proving that they're true Habs now.

Not because they've won a few games, but simply because they're really trying. Putting in some decent effort. They're not winning every game, but they're trying. I respect that. (Well, there are exceptions.. AK46 seems to be asleep, but i digress)

:hlogo:

Edited by Cataclaw

Regarding Kostitsyn: he might look invisible out there or still make the odd pass, but his play without the puck is improving, which often goes unnoticed to fans but coaches appreciate... and he's using his body for the first time in his career!!!

Baby steps, baby steps.

Cammalleri catching fire is good news. Hopefully he gets a rythm going and the points keep coming. And talk about clutch!

As for Kostitsyn, it won't be an overnight transformation, but I really think Martin's talking to him and is giving him room and confidence to alter the parts of his game that will allow him to become a complete player. It takes time though.

The defense is the shaky part of this team, definitely, but they haven't played half bad. The recent shots against totals suggest Martin's puck possession strategy is starting to take hold, which is great news. And consider how well it's gone in the last few games (including the last couple of losses), and no remember that our best defenseman is still 3 months away. He'll be an incredible boost to this team.

Let's hope they can keep this up. One more statement game again NYI next week before going on the road would be perfect.

Go :hlogo: Go!