Subban

Colin

There's been plenty of discussion on the boards regarding the correct course of action with PeeKay. One side of the argument feels he should stay in Hamilton for the duration to continue a solid development and come to dominate at that level before he embarks on his NHL adventure. The other side of the coin wants to see what he does in Montreal now - particularly with a defensive corps that has serious struggles making tape-to-tape passes consistently. I'd like to hear the opinion of those who watch this kid a lot. I'd like to read links with words from his coaches, perhaps the Montreal staff and management, and any other interesting tidbits.

I'm on the fence regarding a call-up. I'd like to see him continue to grow to his full potential in the AHL before being rushed to the Big Time, but I also see his name popping up ever more frequently in Hamilton games. Is he starting that domination? When he's scoring points against top clubs and dominating lesser clubs, is that the time to make the move? I don't think anyone would have trouble with him taking the spot of a Gill or Mara or even Gorges or Spacek on occasion if the situation suited. Perhaps more to the point, if he's ready, that ensures that we'd never have to gasp in fear with MAB on the point as we can use him on the fourth line.

In that same vein, where are the developmental curves of Weber and Carle? Are they close to being ready for the jump, or has Subban just overtaken them both and begun to substantially out-play them? Do any of these kids have what it takes to actually replace MAB at the point on the PP next season thus avoiding us paying for our PP bullet? Is it better to keep MAB on the 4th line and allow him that PP spot? Should we package a couple of these kids for a big, mean, stay-at-home guy who can skate AND hit?

Please, any and all thoughts, links, and ideas are welcomed. I'm very curious to hear about the future of the Montreal defense. Exciting times.

Good idea to initiate such a discussion. I would like to contribute, but don't have first hand knowledge of the "subject". All I can say is that I regularly check the highlights of the Bulldogs' games on AHL.com and I really like the progression of P.K. so far. IMO, if he continues to improve at this pace we will see him after the trade deadline. I would not be surprised to see Halak go with one of the olders defensemen and P.K. being recalled. Of course, that's all speculations, but I think that he is almost ready to play in the NHL.

Barring trade or mass of injuries to the D corps, he will spend a full season on the farm and make his NHL debut next season (assuming he has a good camp )

Quite possible, but I don't think it's necessary. He could be a big help right away. His enthusiasm is infectious. I really like the kid, his attitude. I think that he is a winner and can help bring this club to another level.

Quite possible, but I don't think it's necessary. He could be a big help right away. His enthusiasm is infectious. I really like the kid, his attitude. I think that he is a winner and can help bring this club to another level.

I am thrilled to watch P.K. every time he steps out on to the ice. He is really playing well and doesn't appear to have any trouble with the role that has been given to him by the coaching staff. He is quick, gritty, grinding, makes some amazing moves with the puck when he's around the net, and he's not afraid to hold his own in a fight or when throwing his weight around in the corners.

But there is always the danger of rushing these kids too quickly. It has happened too many times when someone has been given a full-time roster spot in the NHL, only to self-destruct because they can't handle it.

Subban is exhibiting what he needs to do to reach the next level, but I think it's wise for him to play a full season in the AHL and let the Hamilton coaches continue to guide him and keep him pointed in the right direction until he is truly ready to take the next step.

I am thrilled to watch P.K. every time he steps out on to the ice. He is really playing well and doesn't appear to have any trouble with the role that has been given to him by the coaching staff. He is quick, gritty, grinding, makes some amazing moves with the puck when he's around the net, and he's not afraid to hold his own in a fight or when throwing his weight around in the corners.

But there is always the danger of rushing these kids too quickly. It has happened too many times when someone has been given a full-time roster spot in the NHL, only to self-destruct because they can't handle it.

Subban is exhibiting what he needs to do to reach the next level, but I think it's wise for him to play a full season in the AHL and let the Hamilton coaches continue to guide him and keep him pointed in the right direction until he is truly ready to take the next step.

I understand why you would call it prudent to keep the young stud at Hamilton this season, but you also provided all the good reasons to recall him before year-end. IMO, when you're ready, you're ready. And obviously a young man who is "quick, gritty, grinding, makes some amazing moves with the puck when he's around the net, and he's not afraid to hold his own in a fight or when throwing his weight around in the corners", is as close to the NHL as he is going to be.

My message to Gainey is clear and simple:

Bring Subban to the NHL!

I understand why you would call it prudent to keep the young stud at Hamilton this season, but you also provided all the good reasons to recall him before year-end. IMO, when you're ready, you're ready. And obviously a young man who is "quick, gritty, grinding, makes some amazing moves with the puck when he's around the net, and he's not afraid to hold his own in a fight or when throwing his weight around in the corners", is as close to the NHL as he is going to be.

My message to Gainey is clear and simple:

Bring Subban to the NHL!

My message is the exact opposite, keep him down in the AHL at all costs for the remainder of the season. He's a d-man, 99% of young prospect d-men need at least one full AHL season to properly develop; I certainly don't put him with the likes of Doughty and Hedman as ones who don't need that year.

Besides, it's not like there's a roster spot available for him right now anyways. If an injury arises, bring up a Weber or Carle and see if you have a player in either of those 2. If Subban's a surefire NHL'er like most think he is, spending an extra half season (developing chemistry with the other youngsters on the farm) is hardly the worst thing that could happen to him. The Habs have killed several prospects in the past by rushing them, here's hoping Gainey and company buck the trend this time.

• 2 weeks later...
Actually, it wasn't today - he's at the All-Star game right now. This actually dates back to the 13th.

http://www.habsworld.net/out.php?8803

I like it. Subban was not ejected for a lack of desire, or because he was not working hard. It was a question of discipline. Boucher wants everybody to be focused 100%; he doesn't accept childish attitude. P.K. will learn from that.

With all the positives that I keep hearing about Boucher and the job he's done in Hamilton thus far (coupled with him being francophone) make me feel like its only a matter of time before he's coaching the big club.

With all the positives that I keep hearing about Boucher and the job he's done in Hamilton thus far (coupled with him being francophone) make me feel like its only a matter of time before he's coaching the big club.

Possibly, but not likely while the Habs are paying Carbo and Martin. Also not likely to happen until JM has been given a full chance, which, with the team we have, I think will be about 2 years.

Possibly, but not likely while the Habs are paying Carbo and Martin. Also not likely to happen until JM has been given a full chance, which, with the team we have, I think will be about 2 years.

Agreed. Martin needs until at least the end of 2011 season. New coach and new team as well as all of the injuries this team has had, makes it very tough to analyze the team's progress at this point. There are some red flags for me though. Under Martin's system, the team "MUST" make perfect passes! It is critical. They must be fast and on the tape. Followed by tenacious puck support in the neutral zone, then give and go in the opposition zone. It is how Detroit dominated for so long. They can't use their speed if they are having to dig for pucks or dump and chase. The passes must be perfect. If the players can't do this, then Martin's system is boring and actually takes away from the advantage of all that speed. I love how Markov still uses the stretch pass. he's like "ya jaques, i know i know. no stretch pass. But did you see how I sprung that guy and we scored? I'm friggen awesome!" hahaha

I couldn't agree more, I wasn't implying that he should be the coach now, but simply that it seems as though he is being groomed to be the eventual coach down the line.

Unless you are shopping PK, and I hope that is not the case, leave him in Hamilton and let him have nice Calder run. The Canadiens aren't going anywhere this year anyway. I expect Hamilton to be playing long after the Canadiens are done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Subban has now 11 goals and 28 assists. He is 3rd in the league at +29. Unbelievable for a rookie, offensive, defenseman IMO. He is ready and would add a lot to our defense. What a prospect!