Does anybody still miss Kovy's humble talents ?

RowGuy

Not me. He has unbelievable skills, but plays his own game, when he feels like it, which is not too often as he gets older. Not a team player; a nightmare for a coach. I saw his four goals yesterday. I was glad for him, but those were easy goals, mostly "garbage" close to the net. Still, he showed his usual hockey sense in being at the right place, at the right time.

Kovy was a pleasure to watch, while we had a bad team. But I feel that we are on the right track and that things will get better in the future (I know, I might be wrong but let me dream). Kovy and Koivu were no longer the solutions.

BTW, I was upgraded to CHL Rookie!

:rolleyes:

Edited by JCPetit

Even the humble Jan Bulis had a 4-goal game.

Kovy wasn't worth the headache, but boy was he fun to watch when he was on. That being said, I still prefer this year's Habs.

Even the humble Jan Bulis had a 4-goal game.

Kovy wasn't worth the headache, but boy was he fun to watch when he was on. That being said, I still prefer this year's Habs.

Two of the All-Time greats. :(

I think he fully expected to be the next captain, and I feel he'd still rather be here. No salary cap, he's still on the team. I sorta do miss him, not that I'd replace him with a current player, because I like the way this team is developing.

The only thing I miss about Kovy is the return we never got for him.

He is one of the most frustrating players I've seen, so much talent.....I'd say he was easily top 5 in skill. Unfortunately he was probably bottom 5 in heart and commitment to excellence.... except of course on the rare nights when he felt like performing. I doubt if there has been a more skilled habs then kovy since Lafleur. The difference being that Lafleur not only was one of the most talented players of his generation, he was also a guy who played hard, practiced hard and of course as he himself has stated, partied hard. The only thing that was consistent about Kovy was that you could count on him to be a drama queen.

Kovy........ just when you thought he'd seen the light, he'd dissappear. When you thought he was finished, he'd put on a dominating performence, where he'd make pretzals out of top defenders, retrieve a fallen glove and then deke out some more defenders, or fire a seeing eye laser to the top corner. As entertaining as he was, you either wanted to retire his number, or just force him to retire. No wonder he was called a coach killer. So no, I don't think I miss Kovy's less then humble talents and I KNOW that I don't miss his drama queen theatrics.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

You can't criticize Kovy if the rest of the team SUCKS

Koivu SUCKED

Higgins SUCKED

Price SUCKED

Komisarek SUCKED

He was an easy target here because of his talent

I don't understand the drama queen comments; Kovy really wanted to win with Montreal; on top of that, he was doing his best to help his young teammates, giving them advice; it's not his fault if he have a bunch of young immature idiots who don't listen

BTW, Higgins just scored his 1st MSG goal of the season

Koivu SUCKED

Higgins SUCKED

Price SUCKED

Komisarek SUCKED

I don't understand the drama queen comments; Kovy really wanted to win with Montreal; on top of that, he was doing his best to help his young teammates, giving them advice; it's not his fault if he have a bunch of young immature idiots who don't listen

The difference with Kovy was that he had MUCH more talent then all the guys you mentioned. Morevoer Koivu, Higgins, Price and Komisarek, didn't need to be sent home by the GM.

Kovy had one 80+ point season in Montreal and one 90+ point season in Pittsburgh, aside from that in his 17 year NHL career he never even cracked the 70 point mark even once. Goalwise he cracked 30+ goals three and 40+ goals once in his career and had 8 20 goal seasons. That is absolutely ridicioulous for a guy who has as much talent as Kovy has.

He tried to take the younger russians under his wing, but really, is he the guy you want leading and being an example to young players??? No, he never had any of the issues that the Kosty brothers allegedly had (but were cleared of), and is a good guy in the community and kids charities. But to me all that is secondary.

I don't know about you, but I want my best player to be a guy who gives it his all and doesn't leave anything on the table. Yes Kovy played hard in the playoffs and along with koivu tended to be the Habs best playoff performer. However, to me it is unacceptable that a guy with his talent can't put 35-45 goals and 85-100 points a season.

I remember once when one of the commentators called Kovy a magician, another one deadpanned that was because no one could disappear like him.

The difference with Kovy was that he had MUCH more talent then all the guys you mentioned. Morevoer Koivu, Higgins, Price and Komisarek, didn't need to be sent home by the GM.

Kovy had one 80+ point season in Montreal and one 90+ point season in Pittsburgh, aside from that in his 17 year NHL career he never even cracked the 70 point mark even once. Goalwise he cracked 30+ goals three and 40+ goals once in his career and had 8 20 goal seasons. That is absolutely ridicioulous for a guy who has as much talent as Kovy has.

He tried to take the younger russians under his wing, but really, is he the guy you want leading and being an example to young players??? No, he never had any of the issues that the Kosty brothers allegedly had (but were cleared of), and is a good guy in the community and kids charities. But to me all that is secondary.

I don't know about you, but I want my best player to be a guy who gives it his all and doesn't leave anything on the table. Yes Kovy played hard in the playoffs and along with koivu tended to be the Habs best playoff performer. However, to me it is unacceptable that a guy with his talent can't put 35-45 goals and 85-100 points a season.

I remember once when one of the commentators called Kovy a magician, another one deadpanned that was because no one could disappear like him.

I have to admit, it's pretty funny ^_^

Kovalev was a ton of fun. There is something humourless, to me, about berating him for 'not showing up every night,' etc.. The whole point of Kovalev, what made him charming, was that combination of jaw-dropping skill and complete indifference to the 'rules' of hockey. He was in his own little Kovy-universe. Tremendously entertaining player, and the bizarre psychodrama is all part of it. I loved Kovy, not in the sense that you love a Labrador Retriever - faithful and hard-working - more in the sense that you love Cosmo Kramer on Seinfeld. ^_^

Having said that, if he is the alpha male on your team, you *probably* have a bad team. Or at least a team that cannot be trusted to be consistently good. And that's the whole problem, really.

Kovalev was a ton of fun. There is something humourless, to me, about berating him for 'not showing up every night,' etc.. The whole point of Kovalev, what made him charming, was that combination of jaw-dropping skill and complete indifference to the 'rules' of hockey. He was in his own little Kovy-universe. Tremendously entertaining player, and the bizarre psychodrama is all part of it. I loved Kovy, not in the sense that you love a Labrador Retriever - faithful and hard-working - more in the sense that you love Cosmo Kramer on Seinfeld. ^_^

Having said that, if he is the alpha male on your team, you *probably* have a bad team. Or at least a team that cannot be trusted to be consistently good. And that's the whole problem, really.

Honestly what is it about him? I loved him. I look for him when we play Ottawa. I want him back on the team. Even though he is inconsistent and stuff. To me Kovy was the face of the franchise for 5 years. But ya. definitely an enigma.

Exactly the way I feel

He was fun to watch, I won't argue with that. But he is not the kind of players you want in a winning team. I mean, he is too individualist to really stick to a game plan. Reminds me a lot of Gaborik. A ton of fun too, but not easy to manage.

You mean the leading goal scorer in the league? Yea, that's tough on a team.

Comparing Kovalev to Gaborik who puts up big numbers when healthy every year he has played is crazy. I have never heard or read anything bad about Gaborik, his only problem is injuries.

But he was only fun to watch for one shift a game - if we were lucky. The rest of the time he was the consummate magicial - the ultimate disappearing act. Yashin had nothing on this guy.

Koivu SUCKED

Higgins SUCKED

Price SUCKED

Komisarek SUCKED

And this season he has played with Alfredsson and Spezza and STILL dont score more.

I miss Kovy more than words can describe. Going to the game at Scotiabank Place on December 28th, it was so painful being 8 rows behind the glass during and seeing him dangling away in a senators jersey right in front of me. Our powerplay had much more structure to it when he wore the CH, and I am positive that we can all agree to this: Markov and him had a relationship that no habs and Markov currently have. I miss those cross ice one-timers. The guy showed up for the Habs when it mattered the most (playoffs), and even though he went through a hard time, he tried his hardest to bring the fans to their feet and bring #25 home to Montreal. I'm not so sure what people on this forum can possibly ask out of him beyond what he was. I think the lack of superstar presence in Montreal was what caused a majority to turn on him when he didn't produce. The man stated that he would play for the Canadiens until he was 50; and to make things better he said he would still like to sign back in Montreal once his two years is up in Ottawa. With that being said, I don't think he really gives two hoots about how he does in Ottawa, because the fans aren't passionate like the ones in Montreal were for him. It is highly doubtful that we will see him back in Montreal, but if he takes a serious pay cut and signs a one year deal with us to retire in Montreal...I am 110% positive that a majority of you on this board would be all open arms for AK27 one last time.