Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Am I the only one who believes Ryan Smyth should be a bigger priority than Daniel Briere?

Yup.... you're it.

There is no way Ryan is worth anything above $3.5-$4M.

I don't care how much heart he brings to the ice, or leadership or whatever other good things people say about him. Fact of the matter is that no one ever says he's a scoring machine or that he makes the players around him better. Ryan is grit personified but he is also a 70 point scorer that plays the game in such a way that makes him a fan favorite.....unfortunately it also takes a toll on the body and he will start to show it in the near future.

Ryan Smyth is the exact same as Mike Peca......NO THANKS

Myself, if I was Gainey I would make an offer sheet up for $4-$5M (or whatever I think Buffalo would refuse) for Tomas Vanek as soon as possible. With drury, Briere and Zubrus to think about as UFA's this might be the only time to nab Vanek. after that I would move sammy to the farm (no cap hit) and trade Kovalev for the highest offer. At least Vanek is a pure and consistent scorer.

Edited by Habitforming

I would also take Smyth over Briere. With one of the major reasons being that Briere is an offensive only player where as Smyth is a two way guy. Briere would end up benched by Carbonneau for creating too many turnovers. Offensive players are not allowed to flourish in Montreal because if you can play both ways you just CAN'T PLAY! I wish it was not the case but it is.

:rolleyes:

I'm serious take a look at the Bolts goaltending prospects! They have 2 great ones right now.

I would also take Smyth over Briere. With one of the major reasons being that Briere is an offensive only player where as Smyth is a two way guy. Briere would end up benched by Carbonneau for creating too many turnovers. Offensive players are not allowed to flourish in Montreal because if you can play both ways you just CAN'T PLAY! I wish it was not the case but it is.

I'm serious take a look at the Bolts goaltending prospects! They have 2 great ones right now.

yeah !! what they need are suds up front. then again, so do we. NO DEAL !!

Let's see, the complaints for the most part of the season is that the Habs didn't have a guy who can disturb the opposition's defense, play in your face hockey, have grit, dish out big hits, cruise around the crease to disturb goalies and pick up the rebounds to score garbage goals. That's exactly what Ryan Smyth does.

Daniel Briere is good, don't get me wrong but as good as he is you know what the criticism will be? "Oh gee, another small talented forward."

Bob went the finesse way and where has the team gone? There was that one time when they got swept in the 2nd round of the playoffs, I won't even go there with the Carolina series (*cough*Justin Williams*cough*) and that other time where they didn't make the playoffs because they lost to the Leafs on the final game of the season.

If the Habs had any hope of making the playoffs this past season, it's because they played gritty and showed character near the end. I can think of more than a handful of games where you think it would be a losing cause for the team but they would end up with a win since they prevailed at important moments.

The Habs currently have finesse players, that's not secret but you can't keep expecting to plug-in defensive hockey to finesse players. Doesn't make much sense. While I did enjoy the gritty character style of hockey that the team played near the end of the season, it wasn't very consistent. Adding Smyth to the team would help the consistency issue of this style of hockey (a Bob Gainey style if I may add). You're also adding a 30 goals scorer and a leader, something any NHL team can use. On another positive note, you would also be adding a perfect mentor for Latendresse and Chris Higgins.

I've argued this point before, save your breath. no one listens

harder to find a player like Smyth than a player like Briere...

Briere is "SO GOOD" because of the system and the linemates...

In MTL, we risk seeing another Samsonov...

Briere is better than Sammy for sure... but he wouldn't produce as much as he is in Buff and might disappoint.

Smyth would still do as well.

So correct it is not even funny. Danny would be hard pressed to score 80 points in the Canadiens system, where Smyth would still be a lock for 25+ goals and to pester defenseman all night long.

So correct it is not even funny. Danny would be hard pressed to score 80 points in the Canadiens system, where Smyth would still be a lock for 25+ goals and to pester defenseman all night long.

I disagree.

Buffalo and Edmonton play a similar game of run and gun hockey. the difference being the overall talent of the Sabres.

Fact of the matter is that no matter who comes to the habs there is no guarantee of anything.

Edited by Habitforming

I don't think anyone would seriously not want to sign Smyth. Think of a line with him, Higgins and Pleckanec: skating, skill on the puck, two excellent passers, grit in front, two two-way players, great speed in Pleks, a 2-man forecheck where Smyth bangs and Plecks lurks - if Carbo can figure out what a 2-man forecheck is.

The question has to be how long would you sign him for? Who knows, he may be like Shanahan and still be an effective, productive front-of-the-net player when he's 37, 38, 39, 40. But Shanahan is a major exception to the rule.

Smyth will get an offer from another team for 4 or 5 years, at a price where our speculation about him will be rendered moot. It's also possible that the Habs see Gui as a potential Smyth prototype. Maybe also signing someone proven like Briere opens up more trade avenues for our younger, smaller, skill-based players.

Here are Briere's numbers:

2001-02 Phoenix Coyotes NHL 78 32 28 60

2002-03 Phoenix Coyotes NHL 68 17 29 46

2002-03 Buffalo Sabres NHL 14 7 5 12

2003-04 Buffalo Sabres NHL 82 28 37 65

2005-06 Buffalo Sabres NHL 48 25 33 58

2006-07 Buffalo Sabres NHL 81 32 63 95

To me, the argument can go either way. Small players are hard to assess because they typically don't get an opportunity to play major minutes until they've made an absolutely iron-clad case for themselves - witness the late blooming of Martin St Louis. But the fact that he's scored 30 goals on a crap team (Phoenix) AND on an excellent one (Buffalo) suggests that he's not just a flash in the pan, nor just a product of the Buffalo system. It would be reasonable to expect 30 goals from him in a Habs jersey, but probably fewer assists than he gets in Buffalo. I'd say, 30 goals, 40-50 assists. Better than Koivu but not vastly better; but he brings more of a goal-scorer's profile.

So what do you think? Is this worth $5 mil? (I'd say yes, partly because of the pizazz he'll bring, and the excitement he'll generate as a French Canadian star in Montreal. Also because we DESPERATELY need a major-league C to spell Koivu, who is definitely on the back 9 of his career. If we want him to last, he needs someone else to draw checkers).

Then again, Gomez is three years younger (27, right?) and just hitting his prime.

Oh yes: the reason for focusing on Briere over Smyth is that we have some reason to think that Briere WANTS to play for us. In the world of mobile UFA, that counts for a LOT. In other words: Ryan Smyth is highly unlikely to choose Montreal out of 30 cities. Briere, the odds are good.

There's no exact proof about Briere. This whole thing about him coming to Montreal is nothing but media speculation. It's the exact same thing with Jason Arnott last year.

Either way, I'm pretty sure Briere will want more than 5M$ a season.

I disagree.

Buffalo and Edmonton play a similar game of run and gun hockey. the difference being the overall talent of the Sabres.

Fact of the matter is that no matter who comes to the habs there is no guarantee of anything.

did you read what we were talking about? :unsure:

whatever style whatever team is playing... we're talking about Briere's adaptation and production with the Habs vs Smyth...

we're just saying that Smyth's production wouldn't change, while Briere's would.

I see two options... Smyth and a good two way 3rd line center with offensive punch so Pleks can take the 2nd with Kosty and Higgins, OR... a combo of Drury and Hartnell.

Shore up the D (Hannan, replace Dandy or Cube with a good Kid) and were good to go.

:hlogo:

:hlogo:

The habs for one can't afford most of the guys your talking about. Smyth, Briere trades for 7 million dollar players aren't going to happen. They have to shed serious salary to make these things happening.

I think they may be able to rid themselves of Samsonov, Ryder if they want to get rid of there top goaltender. But let's be realistic there is alot of overpriced garbage that will only net other teams garbage.

BG will need to be at his best this summer to improve the team

I wish the Habs played as hard as the Bulldogs. Can we just trade rosters with them?

Sorry top goal scorer, not goaltender.

The Habs CAN afford an impact player this year. Abby, Mike Johnson, Niinimaa and Bonk right there (if none of them come back) is a 9M$ subtraction and this is excluding the raise of the cap.

Maybe, it depends on who resigns. There are players who will get significant raises not to mention what will happen with Souray.

I also don't think BG will increase the Habs cap from last year. I think they will be around 40-42 mill. They were close to the max and nothing to show for it.

Only time will tell.

RFA's will chomp into a major part of those 'savings'. And expect Johnson back.

Hartnell, Hannan, a 'good kid' on d, plus a more offensive-minded forward would start to give us real, well-rounded depth. We won't be able to afford Drury and a combo of those other guys.

News that Briere is willing to sign for less to stay in Buff.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=208456&hubname=

did you read what we were talking about? :unsure:

whatever style whatever team is playing... we're talking about Briere's adaptation and production with the Habs vs Smyth...

we're just saying that Smyth's production wouldn't change, while Briere's would.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Re-read my post.

Why would Ryan's number not change while Briere's would drop?

As I said before Buffalo and Edmonton play a run and gun game and Montreal does not (not yet anyway) so why would one be able to produce under a different system and not the other?

It makes no sense and there has been nothing posted to back it up.

No words out of Souray for three weeks, if there was no talks his agent or him would have said something.

-Markov is not signed yet and is questionnable for is knee injury.

-Emelin has been paid and looks like he will stay with Lada.

- No indication that any free agent will agree to sign in Montreal.

So i expect Souray to sign in the next week or so. Not a wish but an

expectation based on the recent news.