Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Marleau - now there's a promising rumour. He's not a superstar, but that is precisely what makes him a realistic prospect for acquisition by the Habs: we might not have to sell the farm to get him. This is exactly the sort of move Gainey needs to make given the lack of decent C available at UFA this season.

I agree and Plekanec would be a nice fit with San Jose cheap 2 way centre.

They already have Joe Pavelski who is pretty similar to Plekanec. Not sure he'd interest them all that much.

Marleau is a star for sure. Not elite, but a star. Blazing fast, good at just about every aspect of the game, is a Quebecker and is not lazy. He had a 78 point season last year but he's probably the best 78-point man in the NHL. He'd definitely be awesome and if we could get him for Ryder, Perezhogin, 12th oa + 22nd oa... that would jus tbe incredible. Yes, Ryder is our only 30 goalscorer but if we add Marleau to the mix he might not be. I could see guys like Higgins, Kovalev and possibly even Latendresse hitting 30 goals on a line with Marleau and it would take a lot of pressure off Koivu.

Hartnell-Koivu-Latendresse

Grabovski-Marleau-Kovalev

Higgins-Plekanec-Kostitsyn

Begin-Lapierre-Lahti

By the way, Grabovski's second position is LW but I'm not sure when's the last time he's played it. Anyways, even if we couldn't sign Hartnell, we could move Lahti to the 1st line (and you can alternate him with Grabovski if things aren't working out) and use Salmelainen or a young player to fill out the 4th line. There's also always Streit though we may need him on defence this year.

Anyways, those forward lines are unbelievable, Our star line fr omlast year would be our third line and I think the talented, explosive players on Kovalev's line could get him going.

If we get Marleau he will be our first line center and Lats doesn't belong on the first line.

He might by next year. Let's not forget he was 19 last year and he will get better all the way around.

If we get Marleau he will be our first line center and Lats doesn't belong on the first line.

Does it really matter what order you put your lines in? Even as our 2nd line center, he can still play more minutes than Koivu. An example is how everyone got worked up about Kovalev playing on the 4th line yet even as a fourth line winger he was playing 20+ minutes a night.

As for Lats, he may never belong on a first line unless you give him the icetime and opportunity when he's young. When we were debating whether to keep him or not, last year, one argument was that if he were only going to be a fourth liner, then it wouldn't be worth it. Well now that we have him and he had a 16 goal rookie season, no one wants to give hi mthe icetime. What winger would yuo play ahead of him? Higgins has got to stay on his line with Plekanec and Kostitsyn. Lahti? Kovalev is the only real option.

Hartnell and Timonin traded to the flyers for picks. Ek listed it as E5 which means it happened. I don't see it confirmed anywhere else though. The Flyers will sign both before July 1.

If True i'm Pitkonin is on the block.

The Habs should look to get Pitkonin, he has decent size speed, plus he can move the puck.

why bother!

Everyone on this board has been trashing Souray for his plus minus and yet we should run out and get one of the worst instead of resigning Souray?

What the !@#$

The only difference between Pitkanen and Souray is the small fact that SOURAY CAN SCORE!!

The Habs should look to get Pitkonin, he has decent size speed, plus he can move the puck.

damned I'd be if the Flyers ever deal Pitkanen. trade for a Malkin or Crosby perhaps

Good for the Flyers.

Souray's not going to come back, he might have taken a small discount, but he's guaranteed 6M as a UFA.

Frankly, Gainey's going to have to either overpay Souray, or overpay someone to replace him.

Pitkonin will cost you 2 mill. Souray will cost you atleast 6. Pitkonin was on the worst team in the NHL, Souray was on the bottom 5 D, Pitkonin can get better, Souray has peeked out, he won't get better.

Pitkonin will cost you 2 mill. Souray will cost you atleast 6. Pitkonin was on the worst team in the NHL, Souray was on the bottom 5 D, Pitkonin can get better, Souray has peeked out, he won't get better.

Didn't Souray himself say "6 million is too much for me"?

I mean....it wouldn't be the first time an athlete has done the exact opposite of what they said before their free agency (Johnny Damon anyone?) but for now I'll give Souray the benefit of the doubt.

Didn't Souray himself say "6 million is too much for me"?

I mean....it wouldn't be the first time an athlete has done the exact opposite of what they said before their free agency (Johnny Damon anyone?) but for now I'll give Souray the benefit of the doubt.

it could just be that souray miscalculated the FA market... like many of us did.

If a team that isn't desperate offers Souray more than 5 mill, I'll be surprised.

If Souray goes to a desperate (ie BAD) team for more than 5 mill instead of a good team for less money, I'll be even more surprised.

I don't know him personally, but it doesn't seem to be in his character.

Why do you think Pitkanen will be on the block? He is their #1 defenceman and only puckmoving guy. With Timmonen that gives them another puckmoving defenceman and both are Finnish (not that that really matters). He's possibly the last guy Philly would wanna trade.

Why do you think Pitkanen will be on the block? He is their #1 defenceman and only puckmoving guy. With Timmonen that gives them another puckmoving defenceman and both are Finnish (not that that really matters). He's possibly the last guy Philly would wanna trade.

You're right.

Timmonen will only be in philly for a maximum of 4 years though.

Absolutely Brilliant contract for Timmonen. I have new respect for Holmgren, quite possibly the best GM in the business now.

Edited by Habitforming