Resignation of Bob Gainey

jrhabs

I suspect it has nothing to do with a disagreement on Price, Halak, or anyone else. No conspiracy is needed..

If Gainey decided he was done after this year, and now he sees his last ditch remake was not enough to move the team forward, then he knows some tough calls are needed coming into the trade deadline. Pleks, the goalies, who knows.

Gainey has enough class to say.. I am going to leave, so I shouldn't be the one doing this. If you want someone to sit down and make some long term decisions, then it is best I go now so you can have your long term GM at the trading deadline.

I highly doubt the ownership was pushing him to do X or Y. He is smart enough to know there are big decisions to be made and he is just plain tired of it.

Wow Brobin, you just got it. Looks like you predicted what happened. Bob steps down, as he's not prepared to make a long term commitment.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So. They already have been talking to Plex and they're working on keeping him in Montreal - and they think Plex wants to stay. And Gauthier thinks the team will go forward with BOTH goaltenders. Now we find out if he's a trustworthy guy. LOL

I think both of those decisions are excellent. I think the major changes should be at the defense position and on the bottom six of the roster. And maybe with the Hockey Gods who keep allowing the Habs to get injured. That needs to change.

I don't have a good feeling about this.

I personally think Mr Gainey has done a very good job with us including a conference title, starting with a team that was utterly lost , and which couldn't compete with US dollars. He landed Kovalev. That was important then.

He took a shot at leading us to the big dance after a terrific season but was cut down with injuries that resulted in too much pressure on an immature goalie.

He made big moves recently to add some competitiveness to this team and I for one think he has done by us Habs Fans very well and as always with the great dignity and integrity that is synonymous with his name.

God bless you Mr Gainey for the kind of man you daily choose to be, and thanks for the wonderful example of a man who walked with dignity when the wind was not at all at his back. Thank you for the excellent and exciting hockey you helped bring to us for these years.

People forget that Bob lost his daughter under tragic circumstances - a blow that has to have unknowable repercussions for a person's psyche and could well lead to a change in life priorities. He is also leaving after his rebuild decisively failed; he probably found he lacked the inner fire to pursue a second rebuild. His tenure was also marked by frustratingly bad luck. There seems to be ZERO reason to assume that he was forced out. I think the reasons he gave were honest reasons. He didn't want to re-commit for 5 or 6 years. Fair enough. It's not an easy job.

I don't really understand all the negativity about Gauthier either. The guy has a good c.v.. Can we at least give the guy a chance before deciding that he blows chunks? :rolleyes:

Personally, I feel Bob was good GM. I'm sorry to see him go. But I'm glad the organization opted for stability.

Overall, a good job Uncle Bob. You are one of the reasons I am proud to be a Canadiens fan. Its good to see Bob will be staying around to smooth the transition as an advisor.

Gauthier knows Martin and the team very well. I think he will try to deal Hamrlik and Spacek before the deadline. That will leave money for Pleks. Subban and hopefully Emelin or Carle can fill those holes next year.

I think our top six when healthy are fine. What we need is some big tough defensive players that can skate on the bottom lines to beat up opposing Dmen and hold leads.

I think Bob made the right decision at the right time. Hopefully this wakes Pricy up.

A new era has begun.

:hlogo:

I'd probably puke several times. Plus, I'm getting the job.

Take a number saskhab. It's clear that the reigning Stanley Cup champ of the most cut-throat, intense, drama-filled and political EHM league in the world is better suited to perform in the pressure-cooker of Montreal. Plus: I'm bilingual. :P :que:

My first move: fire the Bell Centre DJ. Really, I can't stand Vertigo anymore.

Gauthier's press conference performance is solid. He defines the project as becoming (in effect) like the Devils, a perennial top-tier team. Good. He sees no need to trade either goalie. Good. He argues that the current team has a lot of good qualities including a nucleus who wants to be here for the long term. Since I'm not one of those who thinks the Habs are radically off-track, I think that's good. There's no language here of quick fixes and wild swinging for the fences.

The overall impression is of a calm and confident person who knows what he's doing and is prepared to step right in. Not surprising given his previous role.

The only thing that I don't like is that he'll continue to run the scouting department. There's a danger of spreading himself too thin, especially in the early stages, and we can't afford to f*ck up in that area. (Also, he and Boivin have a bit too much of the 'francophone golden boys' vibe about them, but I guess I can't really gripe about that ^_^ )

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I won't be surrprised if he drops the scouting job next year.. he was probably leading up to the deadline and figures now is not the time to change the scouting plan. Over the summer, he can decide who to drop in to replace him long term.

Gauthier's press conference performance is solid. He defines the project as becoming (in effect) like the Devils, a perennial top-tier team. Good. He sees no need to trade either goalie. Good. He argues that the current team has a lot of good qualities including a nucleus who wants to be here for the long term. Since I'm not one of those who thinks the Habs are radically off-track, I think that's good. There's no language here of quick fixes and wild swinging for the fences.

The overall impression is of a calm and confident person who knows what he's doing and is prepared to step right in. Not surprising given his previous role.

The only thing that I don't like is that he'll continue to run the scouting department. There's a danger of spreading himself too thin, especially in the early stages, and we can't afford to f*ck up in that area. (Also, he and Boivin have a bit too much of the 'francophone golden boys' vibe about them, but I guess I can't really gripe about that ^_^ )

Well I have been calling for a change - not the way I would have wanted it. But at least this way Bob got to go out on his own terms - as much as I've hated a lot of his moves, he is a class act and one of the all-time great habs.

I'm not sold on Gauthier, the guy not only has a very mixed record, he also has a habit of walking out on his contracts (Ottawa and Anaheim). I hope this won't turn out to be another langurage hiring mistake. But at least he did say two things I want - Signing Pleks is a priority and keeping both goalies so we get a proper evaluation. There is no way we should trade either goalie unless we get a deal that blows us away.

I also hope that Gauthier deals with the cap situation by moving out Gomez and Hamrlik, because unless we do that, our hands are tied for what we can do going forward. Hamrlik should be moved at the deadline and Gomez probably can't be moved until the summer.

I sure hope to hell that Gauthier is better versed in the cap then Gainey seemed to be - but as he was Gainey's assistant, I'm not going be holding my breath.

I also hope the Molsen's drop that big mouth Boivin, but again, i'm not going to be holding my breath.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

I still got a bad feeling about all this....lets hope this all works out..

We've been stagnating for 2 seasons, with the prospect of losing Halak and Plekanec for nothing. Gauthier dont seems to be wanting to do any rebuild. Maybe he feels too old for that. In any case, Gainey might have been suffering from a case of mental saturation. You know, when you have to do too much in too short a time and nothing seems to ever settle. You're spent, can't think clearly anymore. Not the ideal frame of mind to solve salary caps problems through trades and such while worrying about making the playoffs.

Because you can get younger players in other areas of need.

Like it or not there is a need for a 2nd line center or LW depending on where they want Pouliot to play. Pleks is a goner

Moving a goalie can get that accomplished. I am fine with either guy, They also have 2 pretty good goalies in Hamilton, a vet and a younger guy.

neither goalies are nhl calibre at this time.....

yea i think bob is burn out...with all the sh*t last year and then he put a new team together thats pretty good but been hurt all year..and now the price and halak thing...plex on firer..i dont think bob was thinking this was going to happen and puts him in a hard spot....bob as had some bad luck.I think he think the team need anew start and maybe someone new to look at what could be done..

or this could all be smoke and mirror and bob is still running the show from behind the scenes..this could just be a PR move... :B)

My first move: fire the Bell Centre DJ. Really, I can't stand Vertigo anymore.

That's why the Habs aren't scoring at home anymore, they can't stand it either.

But in all seriousness, it's waaaaaaay better than that horrible simple plan song.

Wow. One has to think that this is more than Bob finally having enough. Like others have stated, maybe it's because he wanted to trade Halak and keep Price, maybe it's something else that wasn't in line with the owners.

Wonder if Martin will move upstairs and Boucher will be promoted...

A mid-season retirement like this is either a firing or a fundamental disagreement he couldn't live with. Those who speculate on his not being allowed to trade Halak could be right. Just as those who think that the new ownership has decided to go in a different direction could be true too.

One thing for sure, a mid-season retirement is not normal, no matter what spin Gainey puts on it.

One thing for sure, a mid-season retirement is not normal, no matter what spin Gainey puts on it.

I agree that this does seem odd, but I'm inclined to believe Gainey's story. I could be wrong, and Gainey could be lying, but he hasn't done anything that I know of for me to suspect dishonesty from the man.

I agree that this does seem odd, but I'm inclined to believe Gainey's story. I could be wrong, and Gainey could be lying, but he hasn't done anything that I know of for me to suspect dishonesty from the man.

I'd agree. I might have been a harsh Gainey the GM critic, but he's a straight shooter. If he quits now, it's because he couldnt go on. He's been at it almost 7 years and the pressure is immense. All in all, he's been an NHL GM for about 17 years. At a certain point, you get tired.

There will always be conspiracy theories...

Who knows what went on, but to me this makes sense on several levels. First, Bob likely always had a 5-6 year window in mind - and as it happens he stayed long enough to see the fate of the rebuild and to mop up its awful aftermath. Second, the death of his daughter and birth of his grandchildren may also have played a role in generally turning him toward retirement.

As for timing, last summer would have been terrible timing. The organization needed stability in order to lure talent, and Bob probably felt it was his duty to take care of the mess, to leave a legacy. Retiring last summer, after July 1, would have raised even more questions ('did the owners not like the new moves?' Etc.).

He probably liked the idea of being GM during the 100th Anniversay bash, too.

Had the team really taken flight and made a case for itself as a contender, I suppose Bob might have been tempted to stick around. But he probably realized pretty quickly (and was probably not surprised to realize) that this team isn't ready yet, so he was looking at more years of agonizing decisions with no sure reward.

Retiring *this* coming summer would be interpreted as being 'forced out' because of poor results on the ice. So no matter what he did, people would think it smelled fishy.

There's also the Olympic break, providing a suitable window for the transition. And by leaving in mid-stream he minimizes the likelihood of the organization going beyond Gauthier in its talent search.

Finally, he may simply feel that Gauthier is fully ready for the big chair and sufficiently up to speed that he requires no big transition period. If that's so, then why not now?

I don't know why fans have to read all sorts of awful drama into it.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I have no problem taking what Bob said at face value. After the centennial stuff, he realized he wasn't into it as much. The Gilette's, Molson's, Boivin, Gauthier, they all seem to be a tight unit, full of admiration for Bob. Everybody needs to find the conspiracy behind it, go ahead, whatever. It's admirable to step down now, as we all know it's an important time of the year for a GM.