Resignation of Bob Gainey

jrhabs

According to the local Toronto radio here, Gainey WAS shopping Halak around and, according to them, there was A LOT of interest. Apparently, Detroit was the team most interested.

I personally think Gainey wanted to pull the trigger and wasn't allowed to. With a guy like him, that would be grounds to retire. He would feel he had the responsibility, without the authority.

So, Lassiter et. al. who said the trade was going to happen, you were right to a certain degree. If Gainey had had his way, it would have happened but, thank god, cooler (and saner) heads prevailed.

Gauthier has already said that both goalies would not be traded.

As a sidenote, the guy on the radio (Bob McCowan?) said that he doesn't understand Montreal fans: they think Price is going to turn into the next Patrick Roy and, according to him, it just isn't gonna happen.

Who cares what McCowan thinks? Dany Dube, who's actually been in the game, and not just a talk show host, said he believes in Price. That must have made your day eh, jackp? Hearing what you want to hear. Of course he was shopping Halak, hello?? he TOLD him he would give him a chance elsewhere.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the local Toronto radio here, Gainey WAS shopping Halak around and, according to them, there was A LOT of interest. Apparently, Detroit was the team most interested.

I personally think Gainey wanted to pull the trigger and wasn't allowed to. With a guy like him, that would be grounds to retire. He would feel he had the responsibility, without the authority.

So, Lassiter et. al. who said the trade was going to happen, you were right to a certain degree. If Gainey had had his way, it would have happened but, thank god, cooler (and saner) heads prevailed.

Gauthier has already said that both goalies would not be traded.

As a sidenote, the guy on the radio (Bob McCowan?) said that he doesn't understand Montreal fans: they think Price is going to turn into the next Patrick Roy and, according to him, it just isn't gonna happen.

Presuming it was true, showing interest is one thing, and offering an adequate return on an asset is quite another - what makes you think that Gainey just didn't like what was offered in return, and decided to keep both goalies instead of risking losing a potential franchise netminder for short term gain. It seems like a sensible thing to do, given their age, ceiling and cap hit. I'm also highly suspect of Toronto media breaking anything Habs-related, not only from the point of view of accuracy, but impartiality as well. Think about it.

Wow...Bob McCowan said that did he....sell Price...sell him for a bag of pucks...get the GMs on the phone bag of pucks for Price! Do you know how sillly you sound? One guy who thinks he cool by wearing shades indoors, should direct the future of this franchise?

You keep preaching that you don't care which goalie plays, yet you try sooooo hard to show your interest in trading Price. Be consistent...at least I'm consistent in my dislike for Halak..you flip flop more than a seal.

Who cares what McCowan thinks? Dany Dube, who's actually been in the game, and not just a talk show host, said he believes in Price. That must have made your day eh, jackp? Hearing what you want to hear. Of course he was shopping Halak, hello?? he TOLD him he would give him a chance elsewhere.

Such vitriol... my, my. Obviously, having your own opinion backed up by someone else, is always going to be satisfying. Former coach Doug McLean is also on this show and was of the same opinion, btw.

To further their comments on Price: They said that it's weird that there are legions of fans in Montreal who are in love (their words) with what Price is *going to be,* rather than what he actually *is.* McCowan then made the aforementioned comment that he didn't believe it was ever going to happen. Both agreed though that it would be crazy to trade either one of them at this point. And I agree with every one of these points, including not trading Price. They did say though that if Price didn't start to prove himself next year, then management would have to look long and hard as to whether to keep him. They also said that they didn't think there would be much interest in Price.

As to who should be the next GM... If Gauthier doesn't work out, I would love to see Serge Savard take another kick at the can. He's only 64 I believe, and in the last 20 years, he's been by far, our best GM. I doubt whether he'd want to come back though...

I've heard McCowan also say he really isn't much of a hockey guy. He seems to prefer to talk about baseball but understands he has to cater to the hockey masses in Toronto.

Same here, he also loves to generate controversy which reminds me...I gotta listen to the show before class tonight...

As to who should be the next GM... If Gauthier doesn't work out, I would love to see Serge Savard take another kick at the can. He's only 64 I believe, and in the last 20 years, he's been by far, our best GM. I doubt whether he'd want to come back though...

At some point, the league has to transition from the old guard of GM's to an up-and-coming group. The rules are much different now, I find that a lot of the veteran GM's seem to have some issues with it while a guy like Greg Sherman (I think that's his name), a virtual no-name, can come in and help resurrect Colorado in a pinch. If Gauthier doesn't pan out, I hope they go new blood (and not Julien "no-cap" BriseBois either) outside of the organization.

Such vitriol... my, my. Obviously, having your own opinion backed up by someone else, is always going to be satisfying. Former coach Doug McLean is also on this show and was of the same opinion, btw.

To further their comments on Price: They said that it's weird that there are legions of fans in Montreal who are in love (their words) with what Price is *going to be,* rather than what he actually *is.* McCowan then made the aforementioned comment that he didn't believe it was ever going to happen. Both agreed though that it would be crazy to trade either one of them at this point. And I agree with every one of these points, including not trading Price. They did say though that if Price didn't start to prove himself next year, then management would have to look long and hard as to whether to keep him. They also said that they didn't think there would be much interest in Price.

Since you're quoting radio stations, the Serge Savard idea came up on local radio. It was laughed at so hard, they hung up on the caller. He's been out of the game so long, it wouldn't even be considered.

I don't know if he's up for NHL management, but I'd like the Habs to reach out to a guy like Vinny Damphousse. He had a lot of experience as a high profile NHLPA guy, and as an ex-Habs captain, I think he'd be good to have involved in the organization in some capacity.

Well, Gauthier was in on every one of those decisions, so I think the point is kind of moot. I honestly think Gainey just suck around out of a sense of duty... they needed stability through the ownership change as well as to the Centennial. I think it's not a coincidence that after the Centennial has passed and things have settled in ownership, he's officially handed over the reigns.

Good point. Mr G would take everyone's intersts into consideration. Who knows when and why it became clear to him that it was time.

I was very pleased with him as a person of course, and also think that he did very well as a manager as well. Didn't other managers or executives rate him very highly?

We desperately needed him when he fortunately made the choice to come home.

I'll miss you Mr. G

Since you're quoting radio stations, the Serge Savard idea came up on local radio. It was laughed at so hard, they hung up on the caller. He's been out of the game so long, it wouldn't even be considered.

Well, if they laughed, then they're being foolish. How can anyone know how much Savard has kept up with the game? I do know that he won 2 Cups. "Nuff said."

Bring back Reggie Houle!

I can't even joke about this guy. He's singlehandedly responsible for setting back the franchise about 10 years. He and Milbury might be the 2 worst GMs I've ever seen...

From the looks of it so far this season, his approach was correct has ANY of the FA Gainey let go actually done well? There's a case for Tanguay...but he wanted long term, how will his contract look if he busts his shoulders again?

Gainey sucked. His free agent antics have crippled the habs and sent the wrong message to current players and Fa's looking to come to Montreal. Made a toxic atmosphere

That's a bit unfair. The one thing Gainey did do was bring respect to the position and the Canadiens around the league because of his reputation as a good negotiator, one without emotion. That being said, it was difficult for him to bring the players he likely wanted because of the albatross known as "Montreal". The media and fans can be our worst enemy.

On a results evaluation, Gainey got a failing grade in my books. He went out last summer and signed exactly the type of players he didn't have the supporting cast for - small skilled players who get pushed to the outsides creating peripheral play that opposing teams can take advantage of, plus he took on contracts that right now are surely not worth it. He did not build a playoff team even after knowing why he failed last year. That, in my books, is a failure.

On a personal note, he was a genuine man and I'm proud that he came back to the Canadiens as our GM. He garners a lot of respect around the league and was a bridge between the stupidity that some times comes out of Montreal and the rest of the hockey world - good luck Mr. Gainey!!

I think Mr. Gainey did a good job over all and if he what to be a gm iam sure it wouldnt take long for someone to hire him...

the major problem in monreal are the fans, they just drive each other crazy..guy want Maxim Lapierre to be given the C last season and alot of them are on this broad, people what to trade price because halak as had a good half a year, people whating to trade half the team for Vincent Lecavalier and his 10 mil price tag( you think gomez deal is bad vinny is worst)..and the worst is if bob did these deals and they didnt work out, the same fans would turn onhim again..

Anyway i think bob did a good job even if the fans that what Lapierre to wear the C dont agree lmfao

Well, if they laughed, then they're being foolish. How can anyone know how much Savard has kept up with the game? I do know that he won 2 Cups. "Nuff said."

I can't even joke about this guy. He's singlehandedly responsible for setting back the franchise about 10 years. He and Milbury might be the 2 worst GMs I've ever seen...

You don't remember Gord Stillick or some of the other Ballard cronies?

About the same as how anyone can get into Carey Price's head and state that his confidence is at the bottom or get into the WHOLE TEAM head and claim that "they don't like to play for Price".

Radio guys are pretty good at it (as are many fans).

About the same as how anyone can get into Carey Price's head and state that his confidence is at the bottom or get into the WHOLE TEAM head and claim that "they don't like to play for Price".

That's a great response Joe. I can't stomach people getting inside someone's head from there basement.

Good, I'm glad you agree with me...

Always liked Gainey, he was a great habs and will be missed, but as a GM, he failed. RJP said well:

He went out last summer and signed exactly the type of players he didn't have the supporting cast for - small skilled players who get pushed to the outsides creating peripheral play that opposing teams can take advantage of, plus he took on contracts that right now are surely not worth it. He did not build a playoff team even after knowing why he failed last year. That, in my books, is a failure.

Completely agree with your assessment of his tenure!